6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:18 PM

Rack and pinion

Wow!!! What a day...I took my 05 Max to the dealer for an inspection right.. well they had specials going on so I decided to let them change my oil, oil filter, and get my transmission flushed....I get a call from nissan about 30 mins later telling me that my steering wheel has internal problems (loose) and estimated replacement is $1250. Ok good enough....I picked the car an hour later and they discovered that my rack and pinion is bad estimated replacement is $1500. Have any of you replaced any of these things yet? I only have 78k miles on it and drive my baby with the outmost care so I shouldn't be replacing this yet correct? Has someone tried replacing the steering column or the rack and pinion? Any suggestions on how to do it? Other things they recommended doing is battery maintenance and clamp cleaning, coolant flush, and replace a leaking Upper AC hose......NICE...... my a** got beat today....
Old 12-27-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by alxdagreat1
Wow!!! What a day...I took my 05 Max to the dealer for an inspection right.. well they had specials going on so I decided to let them change my oil, oil filter, and get my transmission flushed....I get a call from nissan about 30 mins later telling me that my steering wheel has internal problems (loose) and estimated replacement is $1250. Ok good enough....I picked the car an hour later and they discovered that my rack and pinion is bad estimated replacement is $1500. Have any of you replaced any of these things yet? I only have 78k miles on it and drive my baby with the outmost care so I shouldn't be replacing this yet correct? Has someone tried replacing the steering column or the rack and pinion? Any suggestions on how to do it? Other things they recommended doing is battery maintenance and clamp cleaning, coolant flush, and replace a leaking Upper AC hose......NICE...... my a** got beat today....
Sorry can't help you but since you have not noticed a problem, there may not be one (just a thought).... I have to wonder how the current economy is effecting repairs. Could it be possible that some dealerships are making things up to drive revenue?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 PM

That I don't know thats why I'm asking. I just think that it's weird that all of the sudden my car is almost inoperational according to them....
Old 12-27-2008, 11:41 PM

I've had my rack and pinion replaced, there was a problem was a squeeking sound that occuried about 20k miles, and it was a pain in the butt to take it to dealership, because it only happened only when I turned right with a slight squeek noise, dealership rule is they cannot repeat it they won't fix it. It was covered under warrenty but I must of taken into the dealership at least 4 times trying to resolve that problem.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:08 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

OT , but what was this special deal/price for the tranny flush ?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:11 PM

telling me that my steering wheel has internal problems (loose) and estimated replacement is $1250. Ok good enough....I picked the car an hour later and they discovered that my rack and pinion is bad estimated replacement is $1500.
What do you mean by a "loose" steering wheel and what is "bad" with the rack and pinion? Can you give us some symptoms of your problems?

I have DPP package and I have always had a little play in the steering wheel that I have always written off to the power adjustable steering column. Do people with the manual adjustable steering column get the shimmy? I am also interested in trying to tighten the steering rack adjustment bolt per the instructions in the TSB without taking it to the stealership; it doesn't seem to be hard to do. Has anyone else tried this at home? I still can get a slight shimmy when the road is not perfectly smooth so I have theorized that if I tighten up the steering rack that it will eliminate the shimmy on imperfect roads.

Last edited by BadBlackMaxSL; 12-28-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:57 PM

It sounds fishy to me, take it to another dealer....
Old 12-28-2008, 05:11 PM

I always thought the only way to check if the column assembly has problems is to completely take it apart...and would they do that while they do a flush?

I just had a flush and I am having steering column noise and I think they wont want to bother with it unless you know you will pay up

rack and pinion and other things that could be visually detected with out any labor... maybe

get a second opinion

Last edited by hmr1979; 12-28-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i've replaced one rack in an altima (same part) and that was for play in the rack at the wheels. If the column or shaft has an issue than its something else probably. I'd look at it closely by shaking the wheel and checking resistance vs free play then get a second opinion.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I had an entire steering column replaced under warranty because it was loose and would have a "click feel" to it when going over pot holes
Old 12-29-2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fastmax05
OT , but what was this special deal/price for the tranny flush ?
$129.99
Old 12-29-2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
What do you mean by a "loose" steering wheel and what is "bad" with the rack and pinion? Can you give us some symptoms of your problems?

I have DPP package and I have always had a little play in the steering wheel that I have always written off to the power adjustable steering column. Do people with the manual adjustable steering column get the shimmy? I am also interested in trying to tighten the steering rack adjustment bolt per the instructions in the TSB without taking it to the stealership; it doesn't seem to be hard to do. Has anyone else tried this at home? I still can get a slight shimmy when the road is not perfectly smooth so I have theorized that if I tighten up the steering rack that it will eliminate the shimmy on imperfect roads.
you got about an inch play up and down after you lock it in place
Old 12-29-2008, 11:55 PM

I'm getting a second opinion!!! I hoping its just something easier like bushings on the rack and pinion or screws loose on the steering column
Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 AM

you got about an inch play up and down after you lock it in place
Damn, I dont have that much and its pretty tight but not rock solid like my 08 Expedition.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 AM

I had my rack & pinion replaced on my 07 Max at 32K miles..... So, yes it could happen at any time.

Do you hear a clicking noise when turning or driving slow???

I had to take mine to the dealership about 4-5 times before they finally diagnosed the right area (at first they said it was the suspension)
Old 12-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Banned

1500 for a rack is rather expensive. i'd buy one from a yard and take it to a shop...should be under 1k...if there is honestly anything wrong with it in the 1st place...if you don't notice anything i wouldn't be worried about it myself...

130 is good for a flush from a stealership but expensive for a garage imo...my last one i think was $90 bucks...then again that was 4 years ago...
Old 12-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Torgus
1500 for a rack is rather expensive. i'd buy one from a yard and take it to a shop...should be under 1k...if there is honestly anything wrong with it in the 1st place...if you don't notice anything i wouldn't be worried about it myself...

130 is good for a flush from a stealership but expensive for a garage imo...my last one i think was $90 bucks...then again that was 4 years ago...
130 for a a shop is a little high, but most shops can't do a flush on a 6th gen. Dealers have special adapters for the 5AT because they use a heat exchanger. Otherwise all you can do is drain and fill.