6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

interior painting...need suggestions....

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:39 PM

interior painting...need suggestions....

i was planning on painting the interior middle console where the cd player goes and the shifter area, since there are lots of little scractches...I was planning on painting them black to match the interior but not to sure of what kind of paint i should use. i also plan on doing the interior door handles along with the steering wheel controls area. Right now they are a grayish color which im not feeling to much. so im open to suggestions so help me out here guys. also i wanted to know a quick questions since this is another one of my future mods. i've noticed alot of people are painting the headlights and i wanted to know they type of paint used for that as well. your input would be greatly appreciated. thanx
Old 12-09-2008, 01:46 PM

How far are you from Houston? I do the headlight mod and tint tails as well.

If interested I can also color match your interior trim to you car color. I can post pics of what my car looks like later. Let me know
Old 12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Banned

use the search feature to find out about the headlights. any 'normal' spray paint should be fine...

just google to learn how to paint interior pieces. plenty of write ups.

Last edited by Torgus; 12-09-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:01 PM
*moderator*

I used blk textured spray paint, has a n ice texture and is flat. Really easy too, if you go for a full gloss look you'll need much more prep time to get it pretty. I used the same on my roof strips, headlights, grills...

Pics:

Roof strips:
Old 12-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Banned

looks nice J

+1 on gloss taking more work.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by OMARL956
i was planning on painting the interior middle console where the cd player goes and the shifter area, since there are lots of little scractches...I was planning on painting them black to match the interior but not to sure of what kind of paint i should use. i also plan on doing the interior door handles along with the steering wheel controls area. Right now they are a grayish color which im not feeling to much. so im open to suggestions so help me out here guys. also i wanted to know a quick questions since this is another one of my future mods. i've noticed alot of people are painting the headlights and i wanted to know they type of paint used for that as well. your input would be greatly appreciated. thanx
If you want to do your headlights on your own I suggest using Krylon fusion. No need to sand and sprays on really good
Old 12-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Surface preparation is key for a quality look!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
I used blk textured spray paint, has a n ice texture and is flat. Really easy too, if you go for a full gloss look you'll need much more prep time to get it pretty. I used the same on my roof strips, headlights, grills...

Pics:

Roof strips:
that looks great nice texture u didnt have to sand it at all???
Old 12-10-2008, 09:00 AM
*moderator*

I did a little but to get the knicks/scratches out but it says on the can, "no prep necessary" except cleaning...
Old 12-10-2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by myer84
How far are you from Houston? I do the headlight mod and tint tails as well.

If interested I can also color match your interior trim to you car color. I can post pics of what my car looks like later. Let me know

ill keep that in mind since that would be a mod in the future i just prefer to wait to get the halos to avoid double work.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 AM

Pics:

Roof strips:
most definatly like the way the textured color looks...no doubt about that. Im going to have to copy that style and start working on it a.s.a.p. im just not feeling the stock grey color.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:24 AM

What brand of paint did you use? Also, how long ago did you do this mod, and has it held up over time with cleaning?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:28 PM

I sprayed my interior about 3 years ago with no problems and hardly any wear on it. I took a picture from ebay showing all the pieces that a sticker kit or CF/Wood grain kit offers which was quite a few pieces and found them in my car. Removed them and quick sanded with fine grit sand paper not too rough but rough enough to scuff it up a bit and not leave deep scatches. then I bought primer grey color since I wanted a dark top cover. Sprayed all pieces with primer and then with the color of choice. then make sure it dries completely and coat with a clear coat. not too heavy because then it will look tacky. If I get a chance I will post a pic. I actually allready have them on here I just have to find the link. you can skip the sanding part if the scratches are light. I do recommend the primer even though it says you don't need to prep just because paint peals easy if not done right. it is plastic and somewhat porus <sp? , however better to do it right the first time then have it peal off because you wanted to safe a couple bucks. paint should be cheap. I bought clear coat and primer from Walmart for like $2 a can and then the paint color I wanted was at Shucks/Checkers for like $6 a can. I would also make sure you do this in a clean closed in area where no particals can get on it while drying. good luck and deffinitly post pics. If you have time do a writeup/sticky for this.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:01 PM

hey j, i cant get over how good that paint looks, wanna come paint some of my stuff over here in mass?!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:24 PM

I don't really want a glossy finish. I really like the texturized look. Do you haoppen to remember which brand of paint you used?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:45 PM

if you wanted glossy, use primer, kyrlon fusion, and LOTS of clear.
and as stated above surface prep is key in a good looking and long lasting product

Old 12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by ckent512
I don't really want a glossy finish. I really like the texturized look. Do you haoppen to remember which brand of paint you used?
Rust-Oleum textured for plastic from Home Depot:

Paint for Plastic - Textured
Direct to plastic formula that allows you to go beyond just renewing your plastic items.

* One-step application for a unique and beautiful finish
* No primer needed
Old 12-11-2008, 07:06 PM

Rust-Oleum textured for plastic from Home Depot:

Paint for Plastic - Textured
Direct to plastic formula that allows you to go beyond just renewing your plastic items.

* One-step application for a unique and beautiful finish
* No primer needed
that's the same paint i used
Old 12-11-2008, 09:57 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by kenjio6
that's the same paint i used
There's a metal version as well, so far I painted:
Dash pieces
Grills
Roof strips
Engine covers

I guess I got a little crazy but it looks so good!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:41 PM

I did a little but to get the knicks/scratches out but it says on the can, "no prep necessary" except cleaning...
nice i mite do that! it looks awsome that color