6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

weird engine whine noise

Old 11-05-2008, 11:37 PM

weird engine whine noise

hey fellas, i need some input on this one...

about two weeks ago i start to notice this wierd whining sound coming from the engine bay while accelerating. the noise pitch is dependant on engine speed, so the higher the revs, the higher the pitch. the car still drives fine, and she still pulls hard all the way to redline. but i have no clue what is causing the whine. i checked the power steering fluid since the noise sorta resembles low steering fluid, but it's at normal levels.

the noise seem to be originating from the passenger end of the motor. anyone ran into this problem? i have 67k on the car. i'll try to get a video of it so you guys can hear it as well.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:57 PM

hmm..yeah hearing the noise would help greatly. mine does that..but its a really quiet noise..barely hear it. a/t or m/t?
Old 11-06-2008, 01:00 AM
MAXIN' ON

Could it be your belts?
Old 11-06-2008, 01:13 AM

Look up NTB06-079a, NTB07-042. It involves two of the three timing chains on the front of the engine, the nylon tensioner shoes wear through causing the tensioner piston to contact the chains causing the noise. Replacing them involves removing the engine from the car (easiest method), if you car is within the 60K drive train warranty get in in now as it will only get worse until a chain snaps that will take out your valve train and engine. This is an emerging problem with all 3.5VQ's in Maxima, Murano, and Altima's, nissan screwed the pooch on this one and I would imagine as thousands of these start showing up they will be forced to repair out of warranty. If you have any other questions PM me. http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...html?catid=317
Old 11-06-2008, 09:39 AM

5spd auto, but it doesn't sound like it's coming from the tranny side.

Proceedbob, thanks for that info. Unfortunately I'm past the 60k drivetrain warranty. The last thing I want to happen is the chain breaking and destroying my engine. I stopped by one of my friends place so he can have a listen. He said it sounds like a tensioner as well.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:13 PM

I would call Nissan North America and insist that they cover it as it is a design flaw with the tensioner, I believe it will eventually be treated as a out of warranty repair. You have nothing to lose by calling or writing, or better yet get your dealer to intervene, bring the service bulletin with you. It only involves about $350.00 in parts but the labor is 8-10 hours.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:15 PM

Agree, its probably the tensioner. I had this problem as well with the same symptoms. Do it now before you need a complete timing chain set.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Proceedbob
Look up NTB06-079a, NTB07-042. It involves two of the three timing chains on the front of the engine, the nylon tensioner shoes wear through causing the tensioner piston to contact the chains causing the noise. Replacing them involves removing the engine from the car (easiest method), if you car is within the 60K drive train warranty get in in now as it will only get worse until a chain snaps that will take out your valve train and engine. This is an emerging problem with all 3.5VQ's in Maxima, Murano, and Altima's, nissan screwed the pooch on this one and I would imagine as thousands of these start showing up they will be forced to repair out of warranty. If you have any other questions PM me. http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...html?catid=317
Wonder if it has any direct relation to what kind of motor oil was used, I think the VQ is just harder on oil, which will add to the increased number of owners who may have this problem, and with the added protection of synthetic, it just seems like an added benefit for your investment. I hope Im not speaking to soon, and Im about to hit some magical number and watch my car fall apart, but I've heard some other Maximas and was just a little nervous with how their cars sounded at idle
Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It might not be a motor or tranny problem. I have encountered a similar problem and it was my amps and stereo. Check your stereo and amps and make sure that is not the problem. It tends to be a grounding problem. Go to 12volt.com, they have great ideas on how to diagnose the problem as well as to how to solve it. As soon as I fixed that in my car, the whine went away.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:36 PM

i'm almost 100% certain it's not related to my audio. trust me, i know all my groundings are good.

it's definately under the hood.

eddymax how much was it to get yours replaced by the dealer?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:56 PM

uploading a video right now...
Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 PM

here's the two vids i just shot. the first link is startup and idle. the 2nd one is with some revs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHYUiz-kA2E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo9vVgUfpxs
Old 11-06-2008, 08:32 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

ouch... I would PM "winterFaust" ... he answers his PM's on 6thgenmaxima.org a lot faster..

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2008, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
Wonder if it has any direct relation to what kind of motor oil was used, I think the VQ is just harder on oil, which will add to the increased number of owners who may have this problem, and with the added protection of synthetic, it just seems like an added benefit for your investment. I hope Im not speaking to soon, and Im about to hit some magical number and watch my car fall apart, but I've heard some other Maximas and was just a little nervous with how their cars sounded at idle
Well I have only used Mobil 1 TD 5W-40 (Delvac1) from 250 miles replaced every five thousand miles, I use this same oil in my YZRF R1 and CRF450 and beat the crap out of them. The tensioners are under higher loading during spirited driving, so if you push your car more often this will show up sooner. Expect between 60K-80K depending on your driving habits. AscendantMax your car must have been doing this for awhile, it first only shows up under engine load and not at idle or revving, I would get on the phone, your chains are running metal to metal. Mine started right at 60K and my dealer repaired it under warranty luckily.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:52 PM

AscendantMax your car must have been doing this for awhile, it first only shows up under engine load and not at idle or revving, I would get on the phone, your chains are running metal to metal. Mine started right at 60K and my dealer repaired it under warranty luckily.
how long did they take to repair? i'm planning to take my car to nissan first thing monday with the bulletin in hand. the damn chains are suppose to be maintenance free . i'll see if i can get them to repair it under warranty.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:32 PM

Well I have only used Mobil 1 TD 5W-40 (Delvac1) from 250 miles replaced every five thousand miles, I use this same oil in my YZRF R1 and CRF450 and beat the crap out of them. The tensioners are under higher loading during spirited driving, so if you push your car more often this will show up sooner. Expect between 60K-80K depending on your driving habits. AscendantMax your car must have been doing this for awhile, it first only shows up under engine load and not at idle or revving, I would get on the phone, your chains are running metal to metal. Mine started right at 60K and my dealer repaired it under warranty luckily.
good to know, my car has had Mobil1 5w30 from 10k on, then I switched to German Castrol 0w30 5k intervals, I drive hard daily, WOT foot to the floor is the only way I get on the highway, I am slightly concerned cause I also use to let my car idle for way to long,it sounds fine and it's parked in a garage so I constantly listen to the engine, I bought an extended warranty so I should be fine if it does happen, just over 54k
Old 11-08-2008, 05:05 AM

following for information. sorry for your luck, saw the videos and for a minute I thought it was your air being sucked in from the CAI, but then I realized 'air' doesn't sound like 'that'. good luck.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:01 AM
reb

I have an '08 with only about 9K on it. I must say that this 3.5q is one ratty/raw sounding engine. No my chains aren't clanging like in the video. But I can surely see that this car has the same destiny.....
Old 11-08-2008, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by reb
I have an '08 with only about 9K on it. I must say that this 3.5q is one ratty/raw sounding engine. No my chains aren't clanging like in the video. But I can surely see that this car has the same destiny.....
The VQ is a solid engine but the Maxima lacks in sound deadening material, so you hear the engine more, you do hear the raw power, if you run regular and you occasionally driver hard then switch to premium, that will improve the sound of your engine.

The VQ is a solid engine but if Nissan changed the internals, this could be no different then Toyota with their sludge problem, one minor change and it effects will come back 10 fold
Old 11-08-2008, 09:52 AM

It took my guys about 11 hours as the engine came out and coolant, oil, freon and power steering fluid had to be drained prior (mine is a 6 speed btw), they also had been kind enough to replace the drive belts while the engine was out (I paid that, $42.00). And of course everything had to be refilled and bled including evacuating and recharging the AC system after it was reinstalled. From what I have been told the new parts have been redesigned to prevent a reaccurence.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:49 AM
reb

It took my guys about 11 hours as the engine came out and coolant, oil, freon and power steering fluid had to be drained prior (mine is a 6 speed btw), they also had been kind enough to replace the drive belts while the engine was out (I paid that, $42.00). And of course everything had to be refilled and bled including evacuating and recharging the AC system after it was reinstalled. From what I have been told the new parts have been redesigned to prevent a reaccurence.

What model yr has the redesigned timing chain tensioner. What yr is your car.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by reb
What model yr has the redesigned timing chain tensioner. What yr is your car.

2004 SE, I don't know if and when they redesigned the tensioner in current model years of if they did, I was stating that the parts in the service bulletin are different than the installed parts in my 04.

Last edited by Proceedbob; 11-08-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 PM

just spoke to my dealer. they can't do it for me

he said to call nissan and see if they can help me, which i'll do first thing tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:06 AM

^ wtf is that sh*t. take your spamming elsewhere!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:51 AM

just came back from my dealer. they quoted me 2200 for the repair. roughly 19 hrs of labor, and 500 bucks in parts.

time to call nissan usa....
Old 11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Banned

thats a rip off.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:01 PM

Update:

So after I sent Nissan USA an angry email, a consumers rep called me yesterday asking for more info. He said he'll contact my dealer to get the specifics of my problem. He'll get back to me Monday. I hope they'll help me out on this.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:30 AM

Damn, Gordon. I might have to dump my Max soon, if this is what's waiting for me at 60K! This, on top of the strut tower bushings, the noisiest cabin I've ever witnessed and a squeaking radiator harness have me really annoyed that I paid 30 grand for a car with this many annoyances.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:41 PM

another update:

So they didn't call me Monday or Tuesday like they said they would...I called them yesterday to inquire about the missed call. The agent said she's very sorry and that I will get my call by the end of the business day. No calls.

So this morning I called and asked them again why was there a hold up. Then I got the call about 3 hrs later. The guy said Nissan won't be able to help since I'm over warranty. I'm only over by 7k

I told them the car haven't even been paid off yet and I have to fork out this much money for a huge repair on something that should last well over 60k. They pretty much said sorry and for me to talk to my dealer (whome told me to call Nissan USA). It feels like I'm going in a damn circle.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:02 PM

i hid a supercharger under the hood hoping you wouldn't notice, but damn it all your, too crafty.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
another update:

So they didn't call me Monday or Tuesday like they said they would...I called them yesterday to inquire about the missed call. The agent said she's very sorry and that I will get my call by the end of the business day. No calls.

So this morning I called and asked them again why was there a hold up. Then I got the call about 3 hrs later. The guy said Nissan won't be able to help since I'm over warranty. I'm only over by 7k

I told them the car haven't even been paid off yet and I have to fork out this much money for a huge repair on something that should last well over 60k. They pretty much said sorry and for me to talk to my dealer (whome told me to call Nissan USA). It feels like I'm going in a damn circle.
buy an extended warranty, wait a month or 2 and bring it in
Old 11-20-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
buy an extended warranty, wait a month or 2 and bring it in
no can do, they need to have a full car inspection before they let me get the warranty.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 PM

Nissan Consumer Affairs has to be one of the worst customer service departments EVER. It's like they aren't even there to help you.

Not that the child is any better but when I take my Infiniti in for service, within 24 hours I have a call asking me if everything is ok. Then 24 hours after that a live person calls me for a customer satisfaction survey.

Good luck with that repair. Honestly I'd be at the car lot right now looking to trade it in. They don't do any mechanical inspection then. At least they didn't for me. Just the body to make sure it has no visible dings or dents.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:15 PM

little update...

car is slowly being worked on. the two old tensioners were replaced today. i snapped a couple of pics. the plastic was worn all the way down to the piston. there's no marks on the piston themselves from the chain rubbing on it. i guess it was only pretty recent that it went metal-to-metal.

the main tensioner will be replaced tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:08 PM

Sure am glad I saw this post. My wifes Maxima has been making this noise for a couple weeks now. I got it into the dealer quick and even though I'm over my extended warranty by 2,000 miles they hooked me up. New tensioners and timing chains! I should get the car back tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:06 PM

ascedantmax...i watched your video but can't really make out the sound for sure.
Does it sound like a whistling sound?

My 06 Max with 58K is making like a very faint bird chirping/whisteling sound when I am in 2nd gear right before it goes to 3rd. The more I rev, the more I hear it. It is not loud at all in the cabin, BUT i can hear it....
Sooo, can any car repair shops check tensioners?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:03 AM

Ok so the 60K warrenty good till the car reaches 60K or is it 60K or so many years what ever comes first? i only have 42K now my 04? I also have the 100K powertrain warrenty that came with the car i have that in writing straight from nissan..also is this covered under
powertrain?

Last edited by Lovemycar; 12-12-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by hmr1979
ascedantmax...i watched your video but can't really make out the sound for sure.
Does it sound like a whistling sound?

My 06 Max with 58K is making like a very faint bird chirping/whisteling sound when I am in 2nd gear right before it goes to 3rd. The more I rev, the more I hear it. It is not loud at all in the cabin, BUT i can hear it....
Sooo, can any car repair shops check tensioners?
That is the same problem I have. Have you been able to pin point the sound?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by myer84
That is the same problem I have. Have you been able to pin point the sound?
My car is in the shop, I will update you and see what they say. They are also trying to look at that knocking sound I have during driving in bumps and after i put it in park.

The guy warned me that they might not be able to duplicate the whisle noise being that it is "too specific" (kind of a ***** response if you ask me) but we'll see what they say.

But I know the knocking sound is definitely there, if they come back with that "we couldn't duplicate the noise" crap, I am gonna be Pee O-ed
Old 12-12-2008, 11:15 AM

That suck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: weird engine whine noise