6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

weird engine whine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:59 PM

So just got off the phone with the stealership. And without calling me tell me they decided to fix the tensioners. I asked why they didn't call to let me know what the problem was, he said it was under warranty. Of course he also had to through in that it was hard to hear the whining because of the exhaust and intake. Funny I had no trouble hearing it. Anyway those of you that are still in warranty my suggestion is to print the service bulletin and take it with you when you take your car in. Hopefully they don't screw up putting my car back together.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:01 PM

So tensioners are fixed. However they of course told me a bad alternator. $630. lol. Of course not doing that. $45 for serpentine belt. $270 for ac hose and refill system. All in all not too bad.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ya so I just bought a beautiful black 06' 6speed Max SE the other day, love it! It has 74K and the interior is flawless!
BUT! yesterday i started hearing a faint whine coming from the front of the car?

My first thought was it it might be the noise of the trans. Because it only happens when the engine has any amount of load on it between 2K-3.5K rpm. (Every gear). The noise is very faint! can only hear it at lower speeds with the radio off.

If you take your foot off the gas, the noise is gone?
After reading this entire thread (7 pages=1.5 hours) I think that I'm hearing the beginning of the tensioner/timing chain issue?

Is this the bad news I think it is?

This sucks! My 96' Max 5speed has run like a top for 175,000 miles. only a knock sensor issue! Resolved by this forum! local mechanics couldn't figure it out. LOL.
So Thanks to all of you on maxima.org!
-Jamie-
Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by penderaudio
Ya so I just bought a beautiful black 06' 6speed Max SE the other day, love it! It has 74K and the interior is flawless!
BUT! yesterday i started hearing a faint whine coming from the front of the car?

My first thought was it it might be the noise of the trans. Because it only happens when the engine has any amount of load on it between 2K-3.5K rpm. (Every gear). The noise is very faint! can only hear it at lower speeds with the radio off.

After reading this entire thread (7 pages=1.5 hours) I think that I'm hearing the beginning of the tensioner/timing chain issue?

This sucks! My 96' Max 5speed has run like a top for 175,000 miles. only a knock sensor issue! Resolved by this forum! local mechanics couldn't figure it out. LOL.
-Jamie-
It sounds like it. It will just get progressively worse. Don't wait to get it looked at because if the tensioners go your timing chains and we know what happens after that.

I am with you I have a 95 Max I put 150k and the only major thing I had to do was a starter.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Frontier Whining noise

I own a 2006 Frontier with the vq40de engine and 43000 miles and I suspect I am having the Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner issue described on this thread. Could some of you check out this video/audio I put on youtube and help me confirm that this is the problem (turbizzy would be great if you could check it out). I am under the power train warranty and also extended Security+ Pre-Owned Preferred warranty but want to get informed before taking it into the dealer. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdR9XnazCo

It sounds like a small turbocharger is on my engine and it is apparent whenever the vehicle is running in neutral, park, and in gear and also when revving it. I appreciate any help, thanks.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by sethistruckin
I own a 2006 Frontier with the vq40de engine and 43000 miles and I suspect I am having the Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner issue described on this thread. Could some of you check out this video/audio I put on youtube and help me confirm that this is the problem (turbizzy would be great if you could check it out). I am under the power train warranty and also extended Security+ Pre-Owned Preferred warranty but want to get informed before taking it into the dealer. Here is the link:

It sounds like a small turbocharger is on my engine and it is apparent whenever the vehicle is running in neutral, park, and in gear and also when revving it. I appreciate any help, thanks.
Sounds very similar to mine. We have similar mileage. My suggestion would be to print the service bulletin and take it with you. That's what I did and seemed to work well. Good luck
Old 04-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dpeles1
Sounds very similar to mine. We have similar mileage. My suggestion would be to print the service bulletin and take it with you. That's what I did and seemed to work well. Good luck
Sounds like a good idea I am going to try and make an appointment for this week
Old 04-04-2010, 03:21 PM

Sounds like a good idea I am going to try and make an appointment for this week
Head to nissanhelp.com if you need the service bulletin information. The stealership definitely changed their tune when I came in with that in hand.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by penderaudio

-Jamie-
Sounds like your tensioners are worn down.

Glad this thread is helpful to so many! My tensioners were swapped out and have zero problems ever since.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:23 AM

My 04 is doing the same thing..Gonna take it it to Crown this week or maybe next..As my wife drives the car..it's still under warranty..48,000 miles..bought it in 09 with 24k on it.. I've got the Carmax warranty..Since Nissan is gonna fix it,I just have to pay a $75 deductable..hmm i may not have to pay a dime..
Old 04-05-2010, 07:33 PM

An updated TSB has been released by Nisssan. NTB07-042c.
It basically states 2 essential tools, from what I can interpret is to avoid removing the intake runners and valve covers, saving a lot of labor. Plus it give some hints on the installation.

To download the service bulletin, go to http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...html?catid=207
Fifth one on the list.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

yeah i have the same problem, except, the higher the speed, the quieter it gets. Same when i turn on my engine for the first time, it makes the whining/ cranking, but when i turn it off and turn it on again, it doesnt make any noise, or it goes away eventually (eventually as in like the first 7-15 secs). so what do yall say to that???
Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My local stealership is giving me pushback about the tensioner problem on my '05 with 95K on it. Dropped off this morning, advisor guy immediately asked me if I'd had the 90K service done on my ride. Well, no. Tranny was replaced by them last Sept (about 8K ago), other than oil change, air filter, and coolant change, it was all done as part of that repair; I did the rest on my own. Plugs don't get changed until 105K.

So he tells me that I may need to produce receipts for this non-Nissan performed stuff! WTF?!? I keep records of date and mileage that I do routine maint; but I don't keep receipts for buying oil and filters and such.

Oh yeah, I do have the Gold Preferred 100K warranty which is supposed to cover this ****, like it did on my tranny last fall, so what's up with the "produce maint records" BS? A Nissan 90K service would do nothing to prevent chain tensioner failure; it's a design flaw with a TSB issued.

What do you guys think? I can't call Nissan corp yet, as he hasn't called me back with the "diagnosis" yet.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:08 PM

yeah i have that little sound too
Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by azideam
My local stealership is giving me pushback about the tensioner problem on my '05 with 95K on it. Dropped off this morning, advisor guy immediately asked me if I'd had the 90K service done on my ride. Well, no. Tranny was replaced by them last Sept (about 8K ago), other than oil change, air filter, and coolant change, it was all done as part of that repair; I did the rest on my own. Plugs don't get changed until 105K.

So he tells me that I may need to produce receipts for this non-Nissan performed stuff! WTF?!? I keep records of date and mileage that I do routine maint; but I don't keep receipts for buying oil and filters and such.

Oh yeah, I do have the Gold Preferred 100K warranty which is supposed to cover this ****, like it did on my tranny last fall, so what's up with the "produce maint records" BS? A Nissan 90K service would do nothing to prevent chain tensioner failure; it's a design flaw with a TSB issued.

What do you guys think? I can't call Nissan corp yet, as he hasn't called me back with the "diagnosis" yet.
They gave me the same hassle. So I printed the service bulletin and handed it the service advisor and they changed their tune and took care of it. Has nothing to do with the 90k service because the tensioners are a non-maintenance item.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:39 PM

It may be your exhaust brackets. Mine was making a whine noise at certain RPM's. They replaced the brackets and it is fine now.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 PM

My car is 55,000 miles right now.. I don't think I have a tensioner problem..

I saw a coupon not too long ago that had a "timing belt special"
$349.95 + tax for 6th cylinders. Is this worth doing since I'm still under warranty.

This question might be noob.. but a timing belt is the timing chain on our maximas right?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:30 AM

Yep thats the sound! You need tensioner shoes and secondary chains.

Originally Posted by saltwater
yeah i have the same problem, except, the higher the speed, the quieter it gets. Same when i turn on my engine for the first time, it makes the whining/ cranking, but when i turn it off and turn it on again, it doesnt make any noise, or it goes away eventually (eventually as in like the first 7-15 secs). so what do yall say to that???
Sounds like you might have the two chain issues i've talked about. The secondary timing chain tensioners worn down and the primary timing chain slack guide might be broken causing the primary chain to be flopping loose.

Well Nissan has been getting pretty tight with their warranty approvals lately. And they have been asking to produce maintenance records for engine replacements due to oil consumption (another VQ issue) and such. Yes, they expect you to keep receipts for oil filters and stuff, most folks do keep them such as myself. But in your situation, the maintenance records are irrelevant and im pretty sure the advisor is just trying to cover his behind so don't worry too much about that.

Originally Posted by brianfu777
My car is 55,000 miles right now.. I don't think I have a tensioner problem..

I saw a coupon not too long ago that had a "timing belt special"
$349.95 + tax for 6th cylinders. Is this worth doing since I'm still under warranty.

This question might be noob.. but a timing belt is the timing chain on our maximas right?
A timing belt is a rubber belt that spins the cams in sync with the crank. Timing belts were used to reduce engine noise as they run alot quieter without all the racket of chains however timing belts due require replacing at certain mileages due to wear.

Timing chains do the same thing but are made out of metal and don't usually require servicing ever.... hence the issues we're having. It makes the engine alot louder but the upside is supposed to be that youll never have to worry about replacing them.... except for this issue.

The Maxima hasn't used a timing belt since 1994.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Thx for reply turbizzy.
Anyone with 2007-2008 Maxima's having this tensioner/Chain problem??
Old 04-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dpeles1
They gave me the same hassle. So I printed the service bulletin and handed it the service advisor and they changed their tune and took care of it. Has nothing to do with the 90k service because the tensioners are a non-maintenance item.
Yeah, I went in with both TSBs for the tensioner and gusset issues; he didn't seemed fazed or change his line at the time. I got a call back later in the day (after I had posted here) along the lines of "You were right on both problems, and they'll be done under warranty..." Damn straight!

I do not like being treated poorly, seemingly because I am an informed owner and take an interest in issues that arise with my vehicle. It appears the dealerships are resentful that we are knowledgable of the TSBs that have been issued, and hassle us for that fact when we make it known a TSB exists. I understand about having to diagnose things, but some of these failures are plainly obvious as to what it's likely to be due to (tranny shift shock, timing chain whine, etc.). And they're getting warranty dollars for the repair, so WTF? The attitude they give sucks. I work in a IT service industry, and we could never pull this crap on our clients.

Turbizzy; care to chime in on this?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks

Originally Posted by turbizzy
Yep thats the sound! You need tensioner shoes and secondary chain
Thanks turbizzy I dropped my truck off at the dealership and the service advisor seemed to already think it was the timing chain tensioner. Should be done by the end of the day tomorrow. I appreciate the help from everyone.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 AM

Just got off the phone with dealer..warranty company ok'd the fix..Gonna replace timing chain and a few other components..13hrs of labor..Should get it(the 04) back Wed or Thurs..

Last edited by Phantom 309; 04-13-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:40 PM

So from what I've read... does running synthetic oil and a nissan oil filter help prevent this issue or are we all bound to have this issue at some point around 60-100k? I really don't want to have to shell out another $1000+ for this problem right after I've already paid $3000 for a new transmission.

Also, are the tensioners visible something that can be checked while replacing the belts? What are the early warning signs that they may be an issue?
Old 04-15-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by BzJeep
So from what I've read... does running synthetic oil and a nissan oil filter help prevent this issue or are we all bound to have this issue at some point around 60-100k? I really don't want to have to shell out another $1000+ for this problem right after I've already paid $3000 for a new transmission.

Also, are the tensioners visible something that can be checked while replacing the belts? What are the early warning signs that they may be an issue?
Early signs are the whine from the passenger side of the engine..Checkout the youtube video thats posted..The sound changes with engine speed..
Old 04-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Picked up the 04 today from the dealer..They replaced the secondary timing chain and tensionor shoes..Along with a few other doodads..all I paid was $75.00..Runs just as quiet,as a new one now..total cost was over a grand..
Old 04-16-2010, 06:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New to the forum. Have '06 Maxima, 129m miles. My wife has been complaining of this same whining noise for about a month. Thought it was the alternator, unfortunately, it is the tensioner/timing chain issue. Picking it up today from the shop. Was quoted around $1,300. Will let you know how it drives over the weekend.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:52 PM

Yeah, I went in with both TSBs for the tensioner and gusset issues; he didn't seemed fazed or change his line at the time. I got a call back later in the day (after I had posted here) along the lines of "You were right on both problems, and they'll be done under warranty..." Damn straight!

I do not like being treated poorly, seemingly because I am an informed owner and take an interest in issues that arise with my vehicle. It appears the dealerships are resentful that we are knowledgable of the TSBs that have been issued, and hassle us for that fact when we make it known a TSB exists. I understand about having to diagnose things, but some of these failures are plainly obvious as to what it's likely to be due to (tranny shift shock, timing chain whine, etc.). And they're getting warranty dollars for the repair, so WTF? The attitude they give sucks. I work in a IT service industry, and we could never pull this crap on our clients.

Turbizzy; care to chime in on this?
Well as dealership techs there are many opinions on this. Sometimes people bring us in bogus TSBs that don't even relate to their problem or sometimes they bring in crap and want us to perform it on their car when its obviously not messing up or is not that problem, its just what they've read somewhere on a forum lol. Other times techs don't wanna do the work cuz they don't pay that well and some techs actually loose money on the job so they prefer to have selective hearing unless its brought up...

Originally Posted by BzJeep

Tensioners are not something you can check, they're inside the timing chain covers. There's no real way to keep them from messing up, they'll all do this eventually imo. I THINK running synthetic oil might help prolong this from happenening but i can't prove it.

Originally Posted by Phantom 309
Early signs are the whine from the passenger side of the engine..Checkout the youtube video thats posted..The sound changes with engine speed..
Yes.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I purchased my Maxima 3.5SE back in December. It has never quite driven right. I have had to have belts, engine motor mounts, transmission and cat converter replaced since I purchased in December. Now I am getting a high idle, around 2 rpm first thing in the morning and the knocking noise that seems to be coming from my glove box, or driving on the interstate with music off. I first noticed this a couple days ago when driving at 70mph I was up to 4.5rpm. I took it to the deader on Monday and they can not reproduce my problem. They are suggesting fuel injection service. This has been most helpful, but not really sure if this relates directly to my problem.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for keeping the thread alive and alerting the maxima owners. I ran into the same problem and now hit a wall, the dealer finally admit to the issue and now they are asking for service records for the warranty service. i bought this car max05 at 80km and have the records of when i owned it, but not before this. Nissan refuses to cover the issue under warranty unless i can provide sufficient records. Now i'm running around to city looking for old records, couldn't this be any more easier?

i made a youtube upload asking for some advice/help and run into this very knowledgeable site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSGu7uAd_DI
Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by cstevens531
I purchased my Maxima 3.5SE back in December. It has never quite driven right. I have had to have belts, engine motor mounts, transmission and cat converter replaced since I purchased in December. Now I am getting a high idle, around 2 rpm first thing in the morning and the knocking noise that seems to be coming from my glove box, or driving on the interstate with music off. I first noticed this a couple days ago when driving at 70mph I was up to 4.5rpm. I took it to the deader on Monday and they can not reproduce my problem. They are suggesting fuel injection service. This has been most helpful, but not really sure if this relates directly to my problem.
Sorry to hear about your troubles man, but yes unfortunately thats what happens when you buy a used car. You get other people's seconds and along with their headaches, that is why i always recommend certified preowned or extended warranties.

Belts are common, every 40k or so on these engines they crack, i suggest a Goodyear Gatorback they seem to last alot longer than the oem. Engine mounts always break from the torque of the engine and hard driving, they're liquid filled so they are expensive. Typically the front and the righ side ones crack first.

As far as the knocking noise, i've heard a few. Check your a/c lines at the firewall as they sometimes come loose from their retainer clips and vibrate. Also you may wanna remove the wiper arms and cowl cover and check all the 10mm bolts that hold the metal cowl down to the firewall as those too come loose and cause noise. Another thing is fuel pressure dampners are sometimes loud, i beleive there is a tsb on this. Finally, oem struts suck and are very noise when they're going bad, knocking, thumping, etc. Its hard for me to really tell you what it could be, i'd have to look at the car myself but have a dealer check it out and roadtest it with them to confirm the noise. Have them keep it overnight until they confirm it, don't rush them. And i seriously doubt a fuel injection service will help, i'd decline that unless they can gaurantee it will fix it.

Originally Posted by joe_shmore
thanks for keeping the thread alive and alerting the maxima owners. I ran into the same problem and now hit a wall, the dealer finally admit to the issue and now they are asking for service records for the warranty service. i bought this car max05 at 80km and have the records of when i owned it, but not before this. Nissan refuses to cover the issue under warranty unless i can provide sufficient records. Now i'm running around to city looking for old records, couldn't this be any more easier?

i made a youtube upload asking for some advice/help and run into this very knowledgeable site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSGu7uAd_DI
I just posted on your video's comments but ill post here too. That sounds exactly like what the primary timing chain tensioner guide sounds like when it breaks and it ends up sliding downward causing the chain tensioner to no longer be able to hold tension on the chain and causing this noise. I can also faintly hear the secondary timing chain tensioners starting to go bad which is what this thread is focusing in on. My best advice is to have both items replaced while you have it apart.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:06 AM

Here you go bro, i posted this a few pages back. This is what is going on with your engine.

Originally Posted by turbizzy
Well guys thought i'd update this thread. Lately we've been getting in a few more VQs with a sorta small rattle type noise-not really the typical tensioner whine noise this thread is focused on. The rattly type noise sounds like the timing chain is loose, and is hella noticeable on startup for first few mins of runnin at idle then kinda goes away as oil warms.

Here's what we're finding, the primary timing chain's slack guide is breaking off from the top causing the plastic portion of the guide to slide downward and then the tensioner's plunger fully extends out past it's designed travel to try to take up the slack but can't so you end up with excessive slack in the primary chain. This also ruins the tensioner as it has a small wire lock that gets damaged which is to keep the plunger from bleeding down with the engine off.

This pic shows what happened.

The green lines show the peice of the slack guide that broke off.
The red arrow shows the direction the plastic slack guide slid downward
The blue line shows how the tensioner is supposed to line up to the slack guide
The purple lines show the damaged/missing anti-bleed down tensioner lock
Old 06-25-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks for all the information in this thread. I have just bought a 2004 SL 4AT with 98K miles. Everything seems ok, but there is this sound that could be due to the timing chain problems common in VQ35, or is it like misfiring sound (my neighbor thinks that is like a spark plug misfiring). The noise is most obvious when I close all doors and turned off the music and AC. I wasn't paying attention to the sound until I read this thread. It is a regularly intervaled 'dud dud dud dud dud dud dud dud........'.

Here is what it sounds like from inside the car:
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_annotate?v=6dD7VN74BPY

And directly from under the hood:
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_annotate?v=6CFsvJfVpOI
Old 06-26-2010, 01:31 PM

Got the Max back yesterday from the dealership after replacement of the secondary timing tensioner. The Max drives alot better and feels smooth with no whining noise from the passenger side, but the 1500.00 bucks to get it done should have been paid by Nissan USA. But in the big picture I save my motor from being destroyed. If u have this issue I suggest to get it fixed. I let mine whine for 12 months before the repair.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:31 PM

Tons of useful info. I just got mine replaced I had both issues (tensioners and slack guide). Thanks to everyone who input on this. Also, turbizzy I just put up a post , still whining, if you could check that out for me I would appreciate it
Old 07-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Guys funny this has come up just dropped my car off at the dealership Wednesday and it's done today at the tune of $1048.00. While I am not very happy with this, I find it troubling that Nissan knows about this issue and how some of you have been treated.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Why it isn't a full recall for something that is a non-maintenance item is beyond me.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:50 PM

Hey Heryanotech, you need to repost your video links, they weren't done correctly
Old 07-09-2010, 06:42 PM

Ok just came back from the dealer, they fixed the issues plus fixed 3 hoses and put coolant in my car for $1048.50. No noise anymore and the car drives great. Scary part is look at my parts, they were on the verge is letting go. The tensioner bolt basically is broke and the guides are toast, the main tensioner guide had moved. Service guy said these parts could have let go at any time. Would have sucked for me since I live in the Arizona where it gets 110 during the day. I can't believe how these parts got like this, I would expect this from a Porsche as they are air cooled and the heat cycles are harder on parts, but from Nissan? We should all send them letters or contact the better business bureau; this is ridiculous that these serviceable parts don’t last. My car has 70,000 miles on it and noticed it at 65,000 miles. They told me it had been going on for at least 20,000 miles. I bought the car used

Last edited by FenderGuy; 07-09-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM

^^What is that top part with a bolt in it?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:40 PM

Sorry that top bolt is the Alt bolt tensioner which was installed wrong when they did some work on my car. It was a part replaced that they noticed in there while they were there

Quick Reply: weird engine whine noise