6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

weird engine whine noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:23 AM

then it could be alternator or timining chain...
You have still warranty right ?

Originally Posted by bcampbe7
The noise is coming from the passenger side of the engine. I have not confirmed where exactly. I went ahead and made an appointment with my dealer. They are going to take a look on Monday (3/7/2011).
Old 03-01-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ifti_sit
then it could be alternator or timining chain...
You have still warranty right ?

I have about 8k miles left on the powertrain warranty.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:18 PM

You are very very lucky my friend..have the checked and fixed and keep watching for the noise everyday as you have only few months to validate whether they fixed it right..

I have about 8k miles left on the powertrain warranty.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:19 PM

May be its not so clear in the video- but does not seem to be very abnormal. even my car also produce little whining/whistle while applying throttle..but do u hear it from inside too ? mine comes from the cold air intake..but if its too loud from inside then its not very normal..

have someone apply throttle while u listen to the whining noise more precisely and try to locate..have u checked and confirmed that its not alternator?
I hear the EXACT same noise when I rev the engine and I hear it inside the cabin too but it's not AS loud (bcambe's video). Is that normal? Yet I don't hear anything when I drive around.....

I am thinking about taking my Maxima to the dealer. Took this video of an engine noise that sounds like the beginnings of the timing chain tensioner issue.

2007 Maxima SL with 52000 miles. Not sure if the TSB covers '07-'08 or not.

Can anyone confirm whether this sound is the start to the chain tensioner issue?

Skip to 50 seconds to hear the noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mijiQEf0mxg

I'm extremely interested in the results of your visit to the stealership. This problem is killing me and I'm undoubtedly out of my powertrain warranty (84k+ miles) which means I'm probably gonna have to pay 1500+ for my repair if it is the timing chain/tensioners. smh

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 03-01-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, it sounds like the belt. Look at the grooved side of the belt. If it is cracked and missing pieces, then it is definitely bad. If it has been a long time since the belt has been changed, then change it. You can spray a little WD40 on it and see if it goes away.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rocky Hill
Yes, it sounds like the belt. Look at the grooved side of the belt. If it is cracked and missing pieces, then it is definitely bad. If it has been a long time since the belt has been changed, then change it. You can spray a little WD40 on it and see if it goes away.
spam
Old 03-02-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rocky Hill

DO NOT SPRAY WD40 ON YOUR BELTS
Old 03-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Hoping im not off topic

I am hearing a weird whir coming from my car and was told by the man who sold me the car that it was alright but I highly distrust him as I was told, and his attitude towards my current problem is now bringing into light, that you cannot trust the dealer. After you sign on that dotted line they do not care the car is yours. I was told that it was the engine cooling itself down and that the sound it was making was typical but i also have a friend with the same model year Maxima and his does not in any way make those noises.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:37 AM

Dealer is BS, same for me. They stop caring when you sign.
I did have a high pitch issue a couple of times and it was just the belts, even if last time I was SURE it was not a belt sound, was still a belt.....
Old 03-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
I hear the EXACT same noise when I rev the engine and I hear it inside the cabin too but it's not AS loud (bcambe's video). Is that normal? Yet I don't hear anything when I drive around.....

I'm extremely interested in the results of your visit to the stealership. This problem is killing me and I'm undoubtedly out of my powertrain warranty (84k+ miles) which means I'm probably gonna have to pay 1500+ for my repair if it is the timing chain/tensioners. smh
I got same problem and it cost me 1,700$ to fix it last month.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Well, it looks like I'm in the same boat as you now.

Just out of curiosity.......any chance you work for a dealership???

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 03-05-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 PM

No one ?

Hey guys..

I read many forums related to our maxima engine noise..

While most of the time (because it happened most of the time ) we say its the timing chain issue..

BUT, many of them got rid of this noise after replacing the fuel dampers..there's a TSB for this.So if your warranty has expired it would definitely make sense to first repair the damper ( if related at all ).

Like in my case -
When I bought it - it used to produce the ticking noise every time( cold strat/ after warm up).
I changed engine oil very frequently then. Every 1 K.Mobil 1 and then switched to Royal Purple 5w-30.

I got good results. During Cold Start- since last 3-4 months I never got the ticking sound or any other sound. It just sounds perfect.
But then I started hearing the ticking noise if I start the car after warm up. Lets say -I drove the car in the morning for 10 miles and parked in Starbucks and when starting it again - I hear the noise. ( Randomely - not everytime though). Good part is - it vanishes withing 2-3 mins of driving or even if I let it idle for few mins..
I was thinking if this is related to some oil thickness when its warm up.Or the fuel dampers .
I am going to replace them in few days and update you guys.

Also, you can check on this - when my gas is near empty - I hear the ticking noise too ( very little ). This confuses me with the engine oil pressure or thickness. Or may be I am getting it all wrong.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 PM

Well, this thread is concerning the loud whining noise that comes when people hit 2-3k RPM while accelerating. Or if it's bad enough.....in idle/all the time.

Which is the result of the timing chain tensioners being worn down to the pistons rubbing the chain itself. Thus, producing the whining noise.

I'm glad you got your issue worked out but the ticking noise isn't what this thread is focused on. Thanks for the info though. I'll keep it in mind when I hear the ticking noise.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:25 PM

Actually you are right. I was just going with the flow..I know there are other more appropriate threads to make this query.

Well, this thread is concerning the loud whining noise that comes when people hit 2-3k RPM while accelerating. Or if it's bad enough.....in idle/all the time.

Which is the result of the timing chain tensioners being worn down to the pistons rubbing the chain itself. Thus, producing the whining noise.

I'm glad you got your issue worked out but the ticking noise isn't what this thread is focused on. Thanks for the info though. I'll keep it in mind when I hear the ticking noise.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Don't worry about it man. You should definitely make your own thread because most people just overlook threads due to the fact that they either had already seen it or responded already.

That's why I made a thread on the engine whine eventhough I was perfectly aware that this thread had already existed. I bet you money that you will get more replies that way.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:21 PM

i have the same problem with mine since 100 000 km and some mecanics told me either the timing chain or a valve thats ticking but the car runs fine and no lost of power really so ill just leave it like that im now at 145 000km and same thing the rattle commes arround once in a while. Anyways i dont really mind just bought a new engine with 30k on it so ill just wait and blow the one in the car and drop the new one in !!!!! still sucks that its supposed to be one of the best engines on the market and yet here every body complain that they have problems with it!!!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by nismopat
i have the same problem with mine since 100 000 km and some mecanics told me either the timing chain or a valve thats ticking but the car runs fine and no lost of power really so ill just leave it like that im now at 145 000km and same thing the rattle commes arround once in a while. Anyways i dont really mind just bought a new engine with 30k on it so ill just wait and blow the one in the car and drop the new one in !!!!! still sucks that its supposed to be one of the best engines on the market and yet here every body complain that they have problems with it!!!!!
VQ35 still is the best engine. It's just Nissan blew this 04-06 engines timing chain design. Same way they blew the transmissions valve bodys solenoids design. Perhaps Nissan wanted to push 04 maxima model in market in hurry to stay in the game with others prior to qualifying all components the way they suppose to. I am sure Nissan also know these issues but they won't buzz until recall from nhtsa or consumer lawsuit. Oh and lawyers love lawsuits because they are the one benefits and care less about clients. The best scenarios is the recall one if it ever happens. You made a good choice by getting 30k engine for cheap in case your existing engine turn south. One thing for sure that Nissan lost many of their loyal customers however their new models actracts many new customers daily to offset their lost customers numbers. Some were smart enough and got rid off their 04-06 maximas way ahead of time. Some stays with it and now searching for fix of their problems with spending countless hours on net and at repair shops. One honest advise to those mod freaks is if you own 04-06 model then better stay away from costly mods and save-up for potential engine/transmission repairs if you intend to keep your car for long, unless you're super rich to throw the money here and there or you know how to fix your cars at home.

Last edited by KevMaster; 03-13-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:23 PM

Super Agree and I am an example of not being a "smart"
Originally Posted by KevMaster
VQ35 still is the best engine. It's just Nissan blew this 04-06 engines timing chain design. Same way they blew the transmissions valve bodys solenoids design. Perhaps Nissan wanted to push 04 maxima model in market in hurry to stay in the game with others prior to qualifying all components the way they suppose to. I am sure Nissan also know these issues but they won't buzz until recall from nhtsa or consumer lawsuit. Oh and lawyers love lawsuits because they are the one benefits and care less about clients. The best scenarios is the recall one if it ever happens. You made a good choice by getting 30k engine for cheap in case your existing engine turn south. One thing for sure that Nissan lost many of their loyal customers however their new models actracts many new customers daily to offset their lost customers numbers. Some were smart enough and got rid off their 04-06 maximas way ahead of time. Some stays with it and now searching for fix of their problems with spending countless hours on net and at repair shops. One honest advise to those mod freaks is if you own 04-06 model then better stay away from costly mods and save-up for potential engine/transmission repairs if you intend to keep your car for long, unless you're super rich to throw the money here and there or you know how to fix your cars at home.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:38 PM

Some were smart enough and got rid off their 04-06 maximas way ahead of time. Some stays with it and now searching for fix of their problems with spending countless hours on net and at repair shops. One honest advise to those mod freaks is if you own 04-06 model then better stay away from costly mods and save-up for potential engine/transmission repairs if you intend to keep your car for long, unless you're super rich to throw the money here and there or you know how to fix your cars at home.
Sums up the Maxima of those years, I am putting mine up for sale again as of this week. I am so over this money pit
Old 03-14-2011, 04:34 AM

Super Agree and I am an example of not being a "smart"
I don't think so you're not smart my friend It's just many of us love the way we drove earlier models of maximas **made in japan** and so we expected the same from > 04 models. Even though many of us knew that maximas are hitting the fan with timing chain/transmission issues but we kept the hope that we are exceptional and we will be fine. Unfortunately it turned out that after driving for >70-80k miles many of us are not fine and now need expensive repairs. No matter what car we get there will be some issues we will find but with 04-06 maximas, it's just damn expensive issues and not something one loyal customer should have expect within low miles. As for me, I still love my maxima......perhaps because I can't get rid off my car and/or I can't just afford another car..... plus I was a loyal nissan customer.

If you want to know how nissan can go after someone......open up www.nissan.com and read through....

Sorry about off the topic post.....let's just continue with fixing this damn engine noise issues together for many of us

Last edited by KevMaster; 03-14-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Woah, that's freaking ridiculous man. How did the lawsuit start in the first place?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:03 AM

Woah, that's freaking ridiculous man. How did the lawsuit start in the first place?
I don't know....but if Nissan were right then this could have been resolved long time ago.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Very true
Old 03-29-2011, 06:39 AM

yea i hear you brother but i just cant help myself pressing on that gaz pedal and always wanting more power but i changed my trannyat 120k and was really lucky found one from a crash test vehicule that had maybe 1k on it or so. with the new engine and that tranny should be good for a few years of performance . but even after all off that i still adore this car and hope to keep it for a while support your local maximas!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:56 PM

p/s pump?

I've had my car for 2 months now and its been making the loud whine on startup and through out while the car is on. no clicking noise just a louder than normal idle whine. I just took my max to a local shop and their telling me its the power steering pump. don't know if they were just to lazy to listen to me and check out the tensioners or if it really is the power steering pump.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 PM

Don't think its the steering pump at all. The whine usually comes from either the timing chain, alternator, or A/C compressor.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:16 PM

might have to go to the dealer but they want $130 for inspect and said it'd be $3000 plus to replace everything. thats worst case scenerio. guess i'll keep looking for other shops
Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 AM

update: took my car to AAMCO since they inspect for free and looks like its going to cost me $1500 for all tensioners, 2 chains and all the other small stuff. good thing i didn't put a down payment on this car.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:30 PM

sounds about right for this kind of repair. i paid over 1200 to have mine fixed.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by maxlk
update: took my car to AAMCO since they inspect for free and looks like its going to cost me $1500 for all tensioners, 2 chains and all the other small stuff. good thing i didn't put a down payment on this car.
That's a good deal man. Better than what I had to pay.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:15 PM

wowowowow

Just picked up the car and wow. What a big difference. car is nice and quiet. the mechanic told me that nissan hasn't updated the parts and that i would probably need to do this again in 100k miles? if i still have the car. this worries me. i plan to keep the car for a long time.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 AM

just dropped my 2005 maxima off for eval of this issue and a few others. the car only has 44k miles but i'm starting to hear a sound similar to the turbo whine on my old Audi A4 1.8T when i rev the engine. i'm really hoping they determine the tensioners need to be replaced. my 6 year extended warranty expires in 2 weeks. $106 diag fee is my responsibility if they declare no trouble found but worth the risk i think.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxlk
Just picked up the car and wow. What a big difference. car is nice and quiet. the mechanic told me that nissan hasn't updated the parts and that i would probably need to do this again in 100k miles? if i still have the car. this worries me. i plan to keep the car for a long time.
Mechanic is wrong on that, the new secondary chains that come in the updated kit (part # is in TSB) do not have the sharp inner teeth, there shouldn't be a need to replace them. I would find out what part# he put in there, you could be looking at replacing them a lot sooner than 100K.

Also, the kit is cheap as hell for what you get (two chains & sprockets & 2 shoes), I think it's like $40 my cost for both banks (Not including seals), I'm pretty sure it's much cheaper then what Nissan would normally get for them but don't hold me to that.

If anyone in SE Mass needs this done send me an E-mail.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:28 AM

I been checking my car for the last couple of day to see if the whining noise comes from the passenger side but My engine whine is different, it comes from the driver side when I start the car, then goes away, when I rev the engine still do it(this is when the car is in parking), but when I'm driving is quite.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 AM

I'll give him a call, He did have the TSB and showed it to me when I took my car in, so hopefully he used the newer parts.
anyone have a link to the most updated ntb07-042? the only i can find is from 2009

Last edited by maxlk; 04-06-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by iMaxSE
I been checking my car for the last couple of day to see if the whining noise comes from the passenger side but My engine whine is different, it comes from the driver side when I start the car, then goes away, when I rev the engine still do it(this is when the car is in parking), but when I'm driving is quite.
I drive an 08 with 61000 miles..
Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 AM

Sorry, I didn't reply to those interested in my issue and possibly resolution.

I had the belts replaced at the dealer since those were BAD and were starting to make some noise. According to the Nessan Tech, the whine that I am hearing is the alternator. Quoted around $600 to replace. I declined. Still have 7-8k miles left on the warranty, so I will wait it out a while.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes alternator is the first thing I think of when I hear the word Whine. Everybody should rule out the alternator first, which is very simple- remove the a/c alternator belt & start the car
Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 AM

I had the belts replaced at the dealer since those were BAD and were starting to make some noise. According to the Nessan Tech, the whine that I am hearing is the alternator. Quoted around $600 to replace. I declined. Still have 7-8k miles left on the warranty, so I will wait it out a while.
just dont forget about it or you'll be S.O.L.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:06 PM

extended warranty is covering my timing chain and tensioner replacement. dealer wants to charge me $125 to do the belts while they are doing the chains. the breakdown is $60 for belts and $65 for labor (1/2 hour). has anyone else had the dealer do belts while doing the chains? what did they charge? my understand is that the belts need to come off to get into the engine so labor should be zero. but my dealer is saying only the AC belt comes off and the PS belt is causing the labor charge. thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: weird engine whine noise