6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

HELP-TCM reset on '04 SE 5-speed A/T

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:35 AM

HELP-TCM reset on '04 SE 5-speed A/T

...My car is in what seems to be "fail-safe mode 2"...reverse and third gear only with the ability to shift down into second in manual mode...checked a service manual i downloaded from PDFtown and it said those criteria point to "fail-safe mode 2"...it also said that in fail-safe modes the oil pressure is set to maximum pressure (possibly why the car jerks violently when shifting into any gear). mentioned a shift solinoid being stuck open...i checked the shift solinoids and the resitences are all within tolerances so im stuck...

...basically i want to reset the TCM and drive it to see if it locks up again, therefore exposing a malfunction...as i tried to do a "no-tools" TCM code read and didnt get anything...

...Does anyone know how to reset the TCM without bringing it to the dealership??

...checked the "how to" and searched the forum and didn't find anything...
Old 10-29-2008, 01:13 PM

well you have a couple options. go to dealer and have them do it or a tranny shop. or try hacking the system through your display screen. there is a post on how to access this. in my opinion if you only have 3rd and reverse and sometimes second, then the tcm being reset will not get the other gears back, it will only reset the system to what your cars has now which will be 3rd. you need to take this one to a tranny shop. I can assure you nissan will say it needs replaced. if under warrenty still don't wait, have them replace the whole thing. keep us posted because all of the trannys do this right before replacement and no one has taken it to a good tranny shop to figure out what really happened.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:17 PM

I would take it do the dealer and let them deal with it, Do you still have any warrenty left??
Old 10-29-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by anm6
I would take it do the dealer and let them deal with it, Do you still have any warrenty left??
...Out of warranty three months ago... ... i found a guy here in MN that will do the reset and code pull for me tomorrow... After i get the codes, i will post the results...
....the service manual i am using states that its a shift valve (solonoid)...and its either out or stuck "on"....I tested (resistence) all of the solonoids (shift and pressure) and all the resistences are within normal levels...
...as far as replacing the entire tranny, that's going to be approx $3500...not something i want to be paying...I have also contacted Nissan North America and they set up a claim for me and all, so i just have to send them some info and see what they can do for me as the warranty is literaly 3 months expired with only 48,000 miles on the odometer...

...po8pimp, you mentioned hacking the system through the display...i searched the posts and didn't find anything...if you could direct me to this post, it would be greatly appreciated....

Last edited by maktro; 10-29-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 AM

yea give me a bit I think it was an old post before they put everything in the archives.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:45 PM

... alright, so i skipped the transmission guy and replaced the camshaft position sensor first before going to him....and it took care of all of my tranny issues!!!!

... This makes me very very happy!!!...

...i guess it had nothing to do with tranny components, but just the sensor...car shifts flawlessly, smoothly...and acceleration is awesome!!!

...now i just have to get my tires replaced...hopefully Goodyear will still do it under the recall...
Old 10-31-2008, 12:36 AM

are you serious. Post pics of this so called wonder part please. I had this same problem and the dealer replaced my whole transmission. I wanna see a pic.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:02 AM

ok I did some research and found that what you are telling us doesn't make sense. At least not to me who read about the camshaft position sensor. Here is what I read. On many engines with distributorless ignition systems and sequential fuel injection, a camshaft position sensor is used to keep the engine's control module informed about the relative position of the crankshaft. By monitoring cam position (which allows the control module to determine when the intake and exhaust valves are opening and closing), the control module can use the cam position sensor's input along with that from the crankshaft position sensor to determine which cylinder in the engine's firing sequence is approaching top dead center. This information is then used by the engine control module to synchronize the pulsing of sequential fuel injectors so they match the firing order of the engine. On some applications, input from the camshaft position sensor is also required for ignition timing.

The camshaft position sensor may be magnetic or Hall effect, and mounted on the timing cover over the camshaft gear, on the end of the cylinder head in an overhead cam application, or in a special housing that replaces the distributor (in the case of some of the GM applications). Operation and diagnosis is essentially the same as that for a crankshaft position sensor.
Reading this tells me that Timing would be the most effected component in this which would only effect the engine. I don't see the relationship with the transmission. I will review my tech manual and see what it says. Please help me understand the logic behind this so that when it happens again, notice I said when, because it will, I want to be prepared for this replacement part of roughly $90 vice a $4200 tranny replacement.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
ok I did some research and found that what you are telling us doesn't make sense. At least not to me who read about the camshaft position sensor. Here is what I read. On many engines with distributorless ignition systems and sequential fuel injection, a camshaft position sensor is used to keep the engine's control module informed about the relative position of the crankshaft. By monitoring cam position (which allows the control module to determine when the intake and exhaust valves are opening and closing), the control module can use the cam position sensor's input along with that from the crankshaft position sensor to determine which cylinder in the engine's firing sequence is approaching top dead center. This information is then used by the engine control module to synchronize the pulsing of sequential fuel injectors so they match the firing order of the engine. On some applications, input from the camshaft position sensor is also required for ignition timing.

The camshaft position sensor may be magnetic or Hall effect, and mounted on the timing cover over the camshaft gear, on the end of the cylinder head in an overhead cam application, or in a special housing that replaces the distributor (in the case of some of the GM applications). Operation and diagnosis is essentially the same as that for a crankshaft position sensor.
Reading this tells me that Timing would be the most effected component in this which would only effect the engine. I don't see the relationship with the transmission. I will review my tech manual and see what it says. Please help me understand the logic behind this so that when it happens again, notice I said when, because it will, I want to be prepared for this replacement part of roughly $90 vice a $4200 tranny replacement.
...i'll try to post a pic tomorrow...
...But You're absolutely right about what this sensor does. I think that in my case, after the sensor went out, some how the transmission went into this "fail-safe" mode. After doing the usual "stop--kill the engine--restart engine" method of clearing the "fail-safe" mode, the computer, whether TCM or ECU (don't know) registered an error because the sensor was out and didn't take the tranny out of fail-safe mode...that's the most logical explanation that i can come up with...by the way,i purchased the car in this "fail-safe" mode (not knowing it was in this condition......from auction).

The sensor i replaced is located on bank one (not timeing cover side but back side of engine-by the intake, on the right head...if looking from driverside towards passanger side of engine compartment...it has a green clip...atleast on my '04 SE...)

...another thing is that my MIL was on and it was putting out a code for the Cam pos sensor...

the biggest thing i noticed was the car started with much difficulty when this sensor was out (which makes sense...timeing being off and all)...i had to crank it for a good 4 seconds but it did start and drive...no stalling...after replacement, it started perfectly...no more jerking shift from park...no more being stuck in 3rd...

Last edited by maktro; 10-31-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:03 PM

Hey po8pimp

Any update on hacking the system through your display screen.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:05 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...stic-menu.html
Old 10-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You ROCK

Originally Posted by maktro
...i'll try to post a pic tomorrow...
...But You're absolutely right about what this sensor does. I think that in my case, after the sensor went out, some how the transmission went into this "fail-safe" mode. After doing the usual "stop--kill the engine--restart engine" method of clearing the "fail-safe" mode, the computer, whether TCM or ECU (don't know) registered an error because the sensor was out and didn't take the tranny out of fail-safe mode...that's the most logical explanation that i can come up with...by the way,i purchased the car in this "fail-safe" mode (not knowing it was in this condition......from auction).

The sensor i replaced is located on bank one (not timeing cover side but back side of engine-by the intake, on the right head...if looking from driverside towards passanger side of engine compartment...it has a green clip...atleast on my '04 SE...)

...another thing is that my MIL was on and it was putting out a code for the Cam pos sensor...

the biggest thing i noticed was the car started with much difficulty when this sensor was out (which makes sense...timeing being off and all)...i had to crank it for a good 4 seconds but it did start and drive...no stalling...after replacement, it started perfectly...no more jerking shift from park...no more being stuck in 3rd...
Spite who thought this did or didn't make sense, I just gave the camshaft sensor a chance and it fixed my car. THANK YOU