6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Grinding Noise when Accelerating??

Old 08-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Grinding Noise when Accelerating??

Hey guys,

I have a 2004 SE. Lately I've been noticing a "grinding" noise from the front of the car when I am accelerating. The noise disappears when I let off the gas, and is only heard when I am pressing the gas. Also appears to be gone when I accelerate faster.

I'm thinking it could be the drive shaft?? But really, I got no idea right now.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by jkjk15; 08-25-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

At all RPMs you hear this sound?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:37 PM

wheel bearings ? need more info like , does anything shake or just noise?
Could be brakes ? check your pads
Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 AM

dust shield, did you do or have any work done in this area about when this sound started?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:58 AM

There is TSB concerning this; actually there are two that it could be. One is the heat shield (NTB05-095), the other and more likely is a broken bracket/gussett (NTB05-021 )

Here is the DIY fix courtsey of 6thGen: http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2274
Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 PM

I hear the noise at around 2.5-3k rpm...but not when I go up to 4+ rpm

I have changed all four brakes and front struts...I used to hear it even before any work was done but it wasn't as severe, in that I would only hear it sometimes...

but nowadays I hear it all the time when I'm accelerating...the brakes look fine and there is no shaking or anything, just the noise.

originally I was thinking it could be from the brakes, but then the noise only occurs when I'm accelerating...it disappears when I let go of the gas.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:31 PM

check the TSBs mentioned.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:49 AM

Hi

I used to have the same problem for the past few moths and it dorve me up thw wall.. last week I had my oil change and since then I have not heard the grinding noise..
Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by jkjk15

I have changed all four brakes and front struts...I used to hear it even before any work was done but it wasn't as severe, in that I would only hear it sometimes...

but nowadays I hear it all the time when I'm accelerating...the brakes look fine and there is no shaking or anything, just the noise.

originally I was thinking it could be from the brakes, but then the noise only occurs when I'm accelerating...it disappears when I let go of the gas.

PapaL hit it on the head. Check that thread for the fix.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 PM

I'll give this a shot...thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

its the "Exhaust Gusset" Im not 100% sure where its located, but it believe its above the Y PIPE . Nissan had a service announcement about this problem. My car did the same thing, and as soon as i brought it in, they knew exactly what it was. apparently its very common. Its like a 15$ part, but its ANNOYING! They ordered me a new one, and im waiting for it to come in =) Bring it into Nissan, they should cover it for free!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:29 PM

I had the same problem at 40k and it drove me up the wall. I took it to the dealer here in Clearwater, Florida and he said its the Exhaust Guessets like Papal said. That will fix it.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:18 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by PapaL
There is TSB concerning this; actually there are two that it could be. One is the heat shield (NTB05-095), the other and more likely is a broken bracket/gussett (NTB05-021 )

Here is the DIY fix courtsey of 6thGen: http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2274
Old 09-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Droning/ Humming Noise

Hi Guys:

I have a 2007 SE with approx 35K Miles. A couple weeks ago I stared hearing this humming noise while driving on the highway at about 70 Mph. Now I hear this noise starting at 20 Mph and above (mostly within the RPM range mentioned by most here). Except, it is not just during acceleration but also when I take my foot off the throttle - I hear this noise. Recently there is a very slight vibration that I can feel under my feet. I took the car to the dealer last week and of course I got "could not replicate drivers concerns at this time". I got the offer to bring the car back in if I ever hear the noise again (which of course I did along with 4 other people in my car for sanity's sake). Would the broken exhaust gussett also result in the droning noise both with foot on throttle as well as when you ease off of it? I just want to be prepared to tell the Nissan Service Manager what he should be looking for so I dont end up wasting a day without the car only to get nothing (they were more than happy to change out my brake pads and resurface rotors that I requested though..wonder why).

Also - I thought it might be the CVT but have no MIL's go off and the tran does not slip or anything like that. I guess its most likely the gussett.

Any pre-dealer visit advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 AM

Exhaust Bracket??

Originally Posted by BlkYukon22s
its the "Exhaust Gusset" Im not 100% sure where its located, but it believe its above the Y PIPE . Nissan had a service announcement about this problem. My car did the same thing, and as soon as i brought it in, they knew exactly what it was. apparently its very common. Its like a 15$ part, but its ANNOYING! They ordered me a new one, and im waiting for it to come in =) Bring it into Nissan, they should cover it for free!

I had a very similar problem, ended up being a broken exhaust bracket. Dealership fixed it for $150+, said there was a bulletin and it mandated that they change like 5 pieces. Looked over the invoice, it looked legit, but pretty stupid. Noise sounds exactly like what I was hearing.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:17 PM

Same here, took it in, they say it is a broken exhaust bracket. Why don't they recall things like this when a good amount of people experience it??
Old 09-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, guys! I'll go with the exhaust bracket diagnosis. Funnier that they could not find the issue or played dumb as judging by the thread this has been a common issue. The noise is bothersome but I feel a bit more at ease that the engine is not about to drop onto the road or burn up in the middle of my daily commute. Hopefully this is covered under warranty or my extended warranty that I bought with the car. I'll try and do my best not to pay the $160 "diagnostic" fee...LOL
Old 09-15-2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ReyZMax
Thanks, guys! I'll go with the exhaust bracket diagnosis. Funnier that they could not find the issue or played dumb as judging by the thread this has been a common issue. The noise is bothersome but I feel a bit more at ease that the engine is not about to drop onto the road or burn up in the middle of my daily commute. Hopefully this is covered under warranty or my extended warranty that I bought with the car. I'll try and do my best not to pay the $160 "diagnostic" fee...LOL
I took my car in (see other post) for a LOT of things and service manager quotes me at $500+ diagnostic fee and I paid $0.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can somebody do a favour please? upload a picture of front exhasut gusset, I have 04 Maxima and I noticed its bent, not sure if its mounted like that.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Banned

Got mine fixed at 97k when its been happjing since like 30k, but the problem was made alot worse when they replaced the rear subframe...ah the silence.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:51 AM

guess i have this stupid problem as well. it's really noticeable when i'm giving the car some gas in a parking garage or along a wall of some sort. does anyone know the part number to that bracket?

edit: nevermind found the part numbers after doing some snooping around the bulletins.

Last edited by AscendantMax; 05-12-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

same issue

Hi, Im actually having the same exact problem that you described , did you ever figure out what was wrong with your car ? if you could let me know that would be greatly appreciated !
THank you

Hey guys,

I have a 2004 SE. Lately I've been noticing a "grinding" noise from the front of the car when I am accelerating. The noise disappears when I let off the gas, and is only heard when I am pressing the gas. Also appears to be gone when I accelerate faster.

I'm thinking it could be the drive shaft?? But really, I got no idea right now.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey!!!

I think I might have the same problem. Did the noise hear something like a sharp ring!!!! kinda. Its hard to explain but it happens everytime I reach 3000 rpms and then it stops right after. It doesn it just for a split second and thats it. Its driving me crazy.
Does it sound like your problem??
Do you think its the Exhaust Gussets as well??

Last edited by EC1989; 03-11-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had the same problem in my '05 SE, these cars "burn" oil according to Nissan and my mechanic. Monitor oil in between changes, but an oil change should fix it. Made no sense to me, but it happened to me twice since I've owned mine and both times the oil change fixed it.

I've owned 5 differnet Maximas from (3) '97s (1) '000 and my '05 and the '05 is the only one I've had this issue with.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

You guys do understand the original date of the post was close to 2 years ago?

Last edited by chernmax; 03-12-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah, I ve noticed the date, but this issue is driving me crazy, and I had no other choice cuz I havent seen anything else more resent. This is why I commented and hoped for someone to respond.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow i'm glad to check in because i have the same noise that most of you have i will give the exhaust gussete a try. did anybody try to do it yourself if yes can you give some infor where it located. thank you eq.

06maxima black on black
20"wheels n tires
front grill
hid
smoke tail lights
Old 03-19-2010, 07:27 AM

will nissan still fix this for free. i have same issues. just bought the car last friday. it has 70k on it
Old 03-20-2010, 04:41 PM

So nissan should fix this for free no matter how many miles we have on our car. Am I correct?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Parts list is on NTB05-021d, not sure if they cover after the basic warranty is over, but under extended plan, they should.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:53 AM

so has anyone tried to get this fix yet by the dealer after your warrenty is over?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 AM

Hey guys..

I think i am having similar problem. Not sure whether its exactly the same..here's the description..

lets say i started my car in the morning - put it in Drive and press accelerator..the sound of the engine is not smoooth..there's vibration on the passenger side..yes just the passenger side..imagine a subwoofer rattles ur trunk..the same kind of noise just from the passenger side..it vibrates the passenger side dash..not anything else...note - this does happens 80% times..

also, when i accelerate from a stop signal, sometimes the same issue occurs...this happens while going straight or making any turn from a stop signal..sometimes i cud also feel a very little vibration on my foot (while pressing accelerator, as soon as i lift off my foot - the noise gone )

i have mobil5w30 with mobil fuel filter which recently i have changed (2/3 weeks ). Front brake pads are changed (2 weeks )..
it seems the frequency of occurance started incresing daily.

so what i read from the reviews..

it might be the exhaust bracket ? could it be anyhow related to transmission fluid or transmission coz i have little jerk at cold startup..once its normal condition -transmission shifts smoothly..

i have 2004 Maxima SE -Auto..

Any help before i go to dealership for a hefty amount is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:23 AM

Listen, If you have a rattle/grinding soud only when you accelerate it is " THE HEAT SHIELD" i actually had this problem and it just sounds terrible, no matter how fast or slow i went the rattle sound was the most annoying sound in the world. I took it to the dealer and they charged me $50 to weld it back on.. there is also an alternative if you want you can clamp it back on by purchasing some clamp rings, i believe thats what someone on here once did..
Old 09-03-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by PapaL

link no longer works
Old 09-04-2010, 07:14 AM

I got the same noise .. started happening recently.. it only occurs are like 2,250 RPM... annoying man.. good thing i found this thread.. now to get it fixed!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 AM

i noticed a tinny rattling noise at low rpms on my car recently with the windows down. it's not very loud, but i can hear it when driving by walls and curbs. i checked my exhaust gussets and they look fine. i did notice that the flex tubes on my cattman y-pipe are pretty close to each other. i'm wondering if those are somehow vibrating against each other under low load.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I currently have this exact same problem, I was told it's either the Heat Shield or the Gusset, when I took it to the dealership, they had no idea what it was. I'm going to mention this the next time I'm there.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:40 AM

I noticed the noise was coming from glove box..actually there's a hum noise in the low rpms..like between 1k to 2k..not above that..also the hum comes only when i press accelerator..if i release it..noise gone..my gps was making the loud noise inside glove box so i heard it loudly..
but now i cud feel a little in the pedal..but no loud noise as before..i checked the heatsheild and exhaust ( overall , not in detail )..but they seem to be fine..any other issues ?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not sure if this helps, but the noise that I was hearing (droning noise while accelarating and also while easing off on throttle) was resolved by replacing a wheel bearing that was "freezing" up according to dealer. That was a while ago.

Now my car is at 67K miles and the car has a slight vibration at exactly 1500 RPM's at any speed. I read in one of the other posts that it is most likely the motor mounts (I rule out the CVT since the car shifts smoothly and no jerking whatsoever). Interestingly enough when I had my Syntec oil changes at R&S, the tech said that my front lower engine mount was damaged and suggests R&R them. I am going to go to the dealer and see if they will cover this under the Nissan extended warranty I got with the car - I hope they do so I don't need to spend the $500 at R&S to get the fix. And, I hope the vibration goes away - it is annoying. Also, I got the front shimmy on this car that I never had before (it was rampant on my 2004 MAX SL that I traded in for this 2007 SE). The tech said I had a driver side inner and outer tie rod that has some play. I hope that that is covered as well, not sure. The shimmy happens at 60 plus MPH (had all tires balanced and rotated twice, rotors are only 10K miles old and do not vibrate when braking so I don't think it is these although when I adjusted my front tire pressures to 33 psi this weekend, the shimmy reduced significantly). Maybe the tie rod fix will make it go away forever - nothing is more annoying than that front shimmy when cruising! It tires a man out on a long drive!

Last thing - when should timing chains be replaced on the 6th gen's? I already had the alternator serpentine belt replaced and engine is nice and quiet....

Thanks

Last edited by ReyZMax; 10-04-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ReyZMax
Not sure if this helps, but the noise that I was hearing (droning noise while accelarating and also while easing off on throttle) was resolved by replacing a wheel bearing that was "freezing" up according to dealer. That was a while ago.

Now my car is at 67K miles and the car has a slight vibration at exactly 1500 RPM's at any speed. I read in one of the other posts that it is most likely the motor mounts (I rule out the CVT since the car shifts smoothly and no jerking whatsoever). Interestingly enough when I had my Syntec oil changes at R&S, the tech said that my front lower engine mount was damaged and suggests R&R them. I am going to go to the dealer and see if they will cover this under the Nissan extended warranty I got with the car - I hope they do so I don't need to spend the $500 at R&S to get the fix. And, I hope the vibration goes away - it is annoying. Also, I got the front shimmy on this car that I never had before (it was rampant on my 2004 MAX SL that I traded in for this 2007 SE). The tech said I had a driver side inner and outer tie rod that has some play. I hope that that is covered as well, not sure. The shimmy happens at 60 plus MPH (had all tires balanced and rotated twice, rotors are only 10K miles old and do not vibrate when braking so I don't think it is these although when I adjusted my front tire pressures to 33 psi this weekend, the shimmy reduced significantly). Maybe the tie rod fix will make it go away forever - nothing is more annoying than that front shimmy when cruising! It tires a man out on a long drive!

Last thing - when should timing chains be replaced on the 6th gen's? I already had the alternator serpentine belt replaced and engine is nice and quiet....

Thanks
For the similar vibration, I fixed it by checking and replacing battery motor belt and the belt that links to A/C(I am not sure the name). The vibration started about 30K KM, last till about 60K KM when I changed it. Hope it helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding Noise when Accelerating??