6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Would you prefer purchasing extended warranty with a new Maxima?
Yes
55.96%
No
44.04%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

extended warranty with a new Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:49 PM

Would you prefer purchasing extended warranty with a Maxima?

I was wondering if it is of any use purchasing an extended warranty for a new 2007 Maxima or is it just another way the dealers make money.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:27 PM

How much are extended warranties?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:36 AM

You should still have an option to buy an extended warranty from an outside company while the car is still relatively new. I bought an extended, bumper-to-bumper full warranty for $1800 @ 78k miles when I had my 01. It covered absolutely everything, except for wearable parts, (pads, belts, clutch). If the car is in the shop a lot before your warranty expires, I would consider buying one.

I believe the cost of the warranty goes by the value of the vehicle, and miles on the car. Higher miles = >$. I am sure Dave B. can confirm or deny this....
Old 08-26-2007, 01:00 PM

I dont think there is a need for an extended warranty for a new 07 because you are already equipped with the factory but if its over than 36k then i should advice you, that you should get the extended warranty. Mine was $2000 for 4yrs or 50k miles which ever got first cuz i got my 04 wit 40k.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by D'MaX04
I dont think there is a need for an extended warranty for a new 07 because you are already equipped with the factory but if its over than 36k then i should advice you, that you should get the extended warranty. Mine was $2000 for 4yrs or 50k miles which ever got first cuz i got my 04 wit 40k.

A fully loaded 07 comes with a lot of electronics that is not covered by factory warranty even within the first 3yr/36k mi. What if one of those stop working?

I paid $2106 for 7yrs or 70k miles whichever comes earlier. I got it at a lower price because my car had only 37 miles on it when I got it. As the car gets older, the warranty costs more. But at the same time, it is less probable that something in a brand new car will stop working. I think, whether one should get a warranty or not depends on the quality of things that Nissan puts in its cars. But there is no way to judge the quality unless someone has used them for a considerable period of time.

I had a 1997 Altima before this 2007 Maxima. I bought the Altima from a private party in 2003 when it had 70k miles. In 1999, the car had a severe accident from the back and its rear had to be re-built. I knew about this from its carfax report but still purchased it as it drove well and I was getting it at a low price. I drove it for 30k miles and recently sold it. It drove extremely well and I never had any problem with it. Last June, when it had 98k miles on it and was almost 10 yrs old, I drove it all the way from Columbus, OH to Palm Bay, FL, a distance of 1000 miles in 16 hrs with the A/C blasting in this hot weather and the car overloaded with stuff from my shifting. Before starting from Columbus, I was not confident that I was doing the right thing. Fortunately I reached Palm Bay without any problem.

I was truly impressed by this car and that influenced me to purchase another Nissan. But the 97 Altima was a basic car with almost no electronic gadgets. Even if I assume Nissan still maintains the same quality, I think it is a bit risky to not have warranty to cover the electronics even in a new 07 Maxima.

[See my update on this in the post below -- 08/29/2007]
Old 08-27-2007, 11:00 AM

Extended warranties are like insurance, something you don't want but you have just in case,

My Maxima does not have an extended warranty, only thing I have now is the 5year 60k powertrain but I was confident enough that the powertrain would be problem free and if it did have any hiccups they would show themselves way before 60k, I also wayed the odds of what an extended warranty would cost verse just paying myself.

With that said my 4Runner which I almost passed on the extended warranty, the warranty has more then paid for itself, who would have known
Old 08-27-2007, 12:36 PM
SuPeRmOd

if you know you want to continue to own the car once you paid it off, then yes.

even if u sell it, you can sell the warranty, or get some money back.

i like that even though past 3 years, my ext. warranty covers a lot of the parts that would not be covered anymore. plus towing.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by bb700092
A fully loaded 07 comes with a lot of electronics that is not covered by factory warranty even within the first 3yr/36k mi. What if one of those stop working?
Really? Like what?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:58 PM

i think its another scam to suck money out of you... most people with new cars dont buy this because they trade their cars in before they even reach 40K. Also its just another way for them to suck money out of you...

if you buy a car thats almost running out then its a good idea but never from the Manufacturer they suck money out of you.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:27 PM

^lol thats rough, I think its a good idea cause U never know whats gonna happen
Old 08-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Here's my take on this copied from an earlier post on the same subject some time ago:

Here's what I did....after I bought my 2004 (without the warranty from my stealership), I called every Nissan dealership in the tri-county area. Here's what I said:

Hello Mr. Dealership, I am buying a Nissan Extended Warranty and I am calling every dealership in the tri-county area today. Please give me your lowest price for a 72 mo/75,000 extended warranty. If you are the winner, I will be calling you back by the end of the day.

At the end of the day, I got the Gold for $752. Some of the quotes I got were nearly double that. Moral of the story -- shop around to many dealerships because that price is very negotiable.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I did a little bit of research before I bought and ...

I've found for the most part, the only extend warranty worth getting is the one direct from the manufacturer.

These 2 posts sum it up nicely:

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jag...8412373-1.html

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jag...7826544-1.html
Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would definitely get it. When i bought my 99 in 2000 it had 32k miles. I was able to get a 7yr/100,000 mile extended warranty through my credit union for a little under $1000 with $0 deductible. I put over $4000 of work on it. Whenever anything started going wrong, I would take it to Nissan and they were more then happy to replace things. Now at 120k miles, car still runs like a champ thanks to all the work that was done early on

If for nothing more then piece of mind, I think its worth it....
Old 08-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Very sound, Mike

Nissan offers various types of extended warranty. There's one, i forgot the name, is rather comprehensive. There's even another one that covers the normal wear and tear items (including oil changes).

Back to the OP's question. I bought my extended warranty the day i drove my 02 off the lot for $700. I only used it twice for a total of $400 in covered parts. However, on the same work order/receipt was at least several hundred dollars worth of shop labor that was "struck out" in the copy given to me. I was told the customer normally gets billed for those if the repair was out of warranty.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:24 AM

I talked to a few dealers and asked them a couple of questions:

1. Is there anything (parts including electronics and labor) in the 2007 Maxima that is covered by the extended warranty but not covered by the regular bumper to bumper 3yrs/36k miles warranty that comes with the car?

2. If the answer to the previous question is "none", what is the benefit of purchasing an extended warranty with a new car?

This is what I could gather. An example of what the extension covers that the factory warranty doesn't is seals and gaskets. Those are only covered for up to 1 year on the factory. One of the other benefits are substitute transportation, (same day repair) the factory warranty does not provide a free rental car for covered repairs unless it takes longer than one day to complete. The extended service also provides trip interruption with a per diem for overnight accommodations if more than certain miles away from home.

To me, it seems an extended warranty covers just a little more than the manufacturer's warranty in a new car for the first 3yrs/36k miles (i.e. while the manufacturer's warranty is still valid). However, if someone decides to keep the car for more than 3 yrs/36k miles, the extended warranty does take care of a lot of things (of course, depending on the kind of warranty). But then one can always purchase the warranty after the 3yrs/36k miles.

Lets take a look at the extended warranty prices. The three Nissan authorized dealers in FL, whom I talked to, told me that Nissan extended warranty prices in FL are fixed and dealers cannot increase or decrease them while selling. The Security+Plus Gold Preferred warranty (the best one offered by Nissan for new cars) for 7yrs/70k miles with no deductible costs around $2164 if purchased when the vehicle is new. If we assume it covers nothing beyond the manufacturer's warranty for the first 3yrs/36k miles, we are paying $2164 for 4yrs (or 34k miles) beyond that. That is, we are paying $541 per year.

If we want to purchase the best Nissan extended warranty (Security+Plus Pre-Owned Preferred) just towards the end of 3yrs/36k miles for an used car (the car will not be considered a new one then), the price for that for 5yrs/50k miles and no deductible is $2333 at today's date. If I have a new car today, I might be purchasing this warranty three years from now. Considering 4% inflation, the price of the warranty three years from now will be around $2625. That is, we will end up paying $525 per year.

As we can see, the price difference is almost negligible given my assumptions (and calculations) are correct. A few more things to consider. When I bought my 07 Maxima, the dealer offered me a no-interest payment plan for the extended warranty over the entire period of my loan (60 months). If I wish to purchase the extended warranty after 3yrs, I do not think I will get that plan, so I will have to pay all at once.

However, after doing all the research, I am a little bent towards purchasing the extended warranty after 3yrs. I want to see how my Maxima turns out to be. If it starts giving me problems within the first 3yrs, I will prefer to sell or trade it for some other car after 3yrs (note that in such cases, the extended warranty can be sold or transferred). If it drives great even after 3yrs, I will keep it and consider getting an extended warranty.

I am not sure how good the third party warranties are compared to the Nissan extended warranty but I hope, they will be cheaper. Any comments on which third party extended warranties to go for or avoid?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Zargon

Really? Like what?

Sorry for this statement. The dealer from whom I bought the car made this statement to sell me the extended warranty. When I called him back, he could not back it up and gave me other reasons to purchase the extended warranty.

Though I have not read the manufacturer's warranty booklet in details, I believe there is very little that the extended warranty covers beyond the manufacrturer's warranty within the first 3 yrs/36k miles.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:22 PM

I just hit 35k miles so i think i want to get some bumber to bumper warranty. gonna shop around and see what happens.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:49 PM

Sorry for this statement. The dealer from whom I bought the car made this statement to sell me the extended warranty. When I called him back, he could not back it up and gave me other reasons to purchase the extended warranty.

Though I have not read the manufacturer's warranty booklet in details, I believe there is very little that the extended warranty covers beyond the manufacrturer's warranty within the first 3 yrs/36k miles.
I couldn't think of anything OEM that would not be covered. Good job on calling him on it.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:09 AM

The extended warranty I had for my 2001 was worthless. What did break wasn't honored under the extended warranty. You have to think about it - would they offer an extended warranty if they didn't make money on it? Also, keep in mind, Nissan probably has a pretty good idea of what parts not to cover (problem areas) Although it may have changed, the extended warranty I had covered a huge list of items, but not everything. Just my two cents.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:36 AM

extended warrantys are a waste of money unless u suck at driving.
My dad bought one with his new 03 chevy and his air cond. was coming out hot and this warranty didnt cover it and he had to pay.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:16 AM

i think it not worth it also b/c if your the type to you going to be doing things to it like dropping it, engine work, electronice, and so on they will always find a way to relay something that you shouldnt have done and wont cover it.. but im not an expert in this subject that i would think they would do this as often as possible
Old 08-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i saw if you really take care of your car and want to maintain it and such then put the extended warranty..yeah i understand more money but its worth it for a new car..
Old 08-30-2007, 02:11 PM

a regular factory, Nissan Brand extended warranty should cover your car, the aftermarket warranty companies are odd to deal with, I've bought extended warranties from the manufacture and never had a problem when putting in a claim, plus if you don't use it they will refund your money
Old 08-31-2007, 08:30 AM

Got my extended warranty for $1200 which lasts 4 years or 50,000 miles. I bought my '04 with 52,101 miles on it Feb. 19 of this year. Just piece of mind especially when I make 12 monthly payments at $100 a month...
Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

You guys pay some astronomical fees for these warranties. I paid $860 for 75k gold PACKAGE and last thread that was started showed that mostly everybody was within that price. I would recommend it 100% and have done work done after my 36K warranty expired. For one I had my AC compressor replaced, that itself paid for the warranty.

As for 3rd party, I would not recommend it. There are people here that have their car at the shop for weeks at a time because the dealer and 3rd party are arguing on the price and whether part should be fixed or replaced.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:09 PM

concerning the 07 maxima, on nissanmurano.org many of the owers seem to have mixed emotions, many believe sell/trade it before the warranty runs out cause any small thing that fails on the CVT nissan wants 6000 to replace it, other just drive it cause it's a great vehicle and try not to think about the few MO's that suffer from CVT failures.

Murano owners are waiting to see how the Maxima/Altima/Versa and Sentra owners deal with the CVT when and if they have any issues
Old 09-01-2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
You guys pay some astronomical fees for these warranties. I paid $860 for 75k gold PACKAGE and last thread that was started showed that mostly everybody was within that price. I would recommend it 100% and have done work done after my 36K warranty expired. For one I had my AC compressor replaced, that itself paid for the warranty.

As for 3rd party, I would not recommend it. There are people here that have their car at the shop for weeks at a time because the dealer and 3rd party are arguing on the price and whether part should be fixed or replaced.

$860 is really low. I am assuming it is Gold (and not Gold Preferred) with a $50 deductible for 5yrs/75k miles on a new maxima. Am I right?

Where did you get it from?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Where is my shirt?

I was wondering if it is of any use purchasing an extended warranty for a new 2007 Maxima or is it just another way the dealers make money.

Depends... do you plan on changing out parts that you are aware of that do void the warranty? If so then dont waist your money.

PS: Yes a CAI will void your warranty. Atleast in NY I can say.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by nyc10034
Got my extended warranty for $1200 which lasts 4 years or 50,000 miles. I bought my '04 with 52,101 miles on it Feb. 19 of this year. Just piece of mind especially when I make 12 monthly payments at $100 a month...
Yeah same here. I got 100K though. I bought the car when I lived in San Diego though. If I knew there would be tons of parts coming out, I would have never waisted my money.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:36 PM

i think its completly worht it, you never have to worry about anything, i have an extended warrenty on my 06 7 yrs 100k bumper to bumper, it was only 2grand, well worth it. I dnt drive much anymore, so im guessing i will go the 7 yrs, so im covered till 2013!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:41 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

$860 is really low. I am assuming it is Gold (and not Gold Preferred) with a $50 deductible for 5yrs/75k miles on a new maxima. Am I right?

Where did you get it from?
I don't know which GOLD I have and I don't want to look for my papers but I don't have any deductibles and get a rental every time anything needs to be done. I purchased it with the car at the time when my car had like 7-10 miles on the ODO.

From previous thread on the topic somebody has recommended (I think 4myswee) that you call multiple dealers and tell them you are interested in extended warranty. Tell them that by the end of the week you'll be definitelly purchasing one and you are calling dealers around the area to get multiple quotes. The lowest one wins. Last time the person did that I think the lowest one was $800something.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:49 PM

Of the last 5 cars I've owned 2 Maxima's, a Volvo, a Saab and a BMW. I had the extended warranty all but the Maximas and used it on all the others. The Saab was owned for 13 yrs and under warranty I had the DI cassette replaced twice, (spark wiring harness), the a/c compressor and the manual transmission. The BMW had a passenger seat warmer go out, the abs modules (after a dealership detail) and the navigation would freeze up, the Volvo had to go in the shop for 2 months to get the transmission replaced at 7k miles, numerous o2 sensors and the ABS failed on it. Of those cars I still have the Volvo only because the warranty on the transmission is good for 10 yrs/200k miles and I had the work done in 2002. Get the extedned warranty only if you intend on keeping the car for a period after the initial warranty expires.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 AM

I bought the extended warranty for $1500. I got the gold preferred package 100,000 miles, no deductible. Yet everytime I need warranty work done, they say that I am ineligible because I made some sort of modification. For example, I need a new stock head unit because my left speakers dont work yet they wont fix it because I added a subwoofer. I will never buy an extended warranty again...
Old 09-04-2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Killah Kane
I bought the extended warranty for $1500. I got the gold package 100,000 miles. Yet everytime I need warranty work done, they say that I am ineligible because I made some sort of modification. For example, I need a new stock head unit because my left speakers dont work yet they wont fix it because I added a subwoofer. I will never buy an extended warranty again...

Thats sad. Did you try more than one Nissan dealers?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:25 PM

Thats sad. Did you try more than one Nissan dealers?
No just one, I will be trying another dealer.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I don't know which GOLD I have and I don't want to look for my papers but I don't have any deductibles and get a rental every time anything needs to be done. I purchased it with the car at the time when my car had like 7-10 miles on the ODO.

From previous thread on the topic somebody has recommended (I think 4myswee) that you call multiple dealers and tell them you are interested in extended warranty. Tell them that by the end of the week you'll be definitelly purchasing one and you are calling dealers around the area to get multiple quotes. The lowest one wins. Last time the person did that I think the lowest one was $800something.
That was me! And, I'm glad you took the advice! Absolutely, that is the best thing to do. Mine was $752 for 6 yr/75,000 Gold Preferred.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by missjane
That was me! And, I'm glad you took the advice! Absolutely, that is the best thing to do. Mine was $752 for 6 yr/75,000 Gold Preferred.

Would you mind sharing which dealer you got your Gold Preferred from?
Old 09-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Love my '09

bb700092, I also got the same info about Florida. The ins commission DOES regulate the prices. I called the county branch of ins folks and they confirmed what the dealer said was true. I did it cause the dealer told me the same thing and that I'd found a cheaper but same warranty in another state. When I spoke to them, they also said the same thing, oh... you're in Florida.

Anyway, I keep my cars until the wheels fall off, rarely "mod" anything other than tint, bra, cosmetic stuff. I went with the 84/100000 preferred ( think it was 84month, whatever the longest was )

I had a chevy cavalier when I was in my early 20's. Dad told me to get the extended warranty. (from experience obviously) Sooooooo many things broke on that car. I don't mod, I don't hotrod, I drive just like most of the other joes' on the highway. The warranty more than paid for itself many, many times over. I hope to never have to use it on my Maxima, but it's there if I do.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
bb700092, I also got the same info about Florida. The ins commission DOES regulate the prices. I called the county branch of ins folks and they confirmed what the dealer said was true. I did it cause the dealer told me the same thing and that I'd found a cheaper but same warranty in another state. When I spoke to them, they also said the same thing, oh... you're in Florida.

Anyway, I keep my cars until the wheels fall off, rarely "mod" anything other than tint, bra, cosmetic stuff. I went with the 84/100000 preferred ( think it was 84month, whatever the longest was )

I had a chevy cavalier when I was in my early 20's. Dad told me to get the extended warranty. (from experience obviously) Sooooooo many things broke on that car. I don't mod, I don't hotrod, I drive just like most of the other joes' on the highway. The warranty more than paid for itself many, many times over. I hope to never have to use it on my Maxima, but it's there if I do.

I guess, we are the odd-man-outs in this forum as, like you, I do not mod (except tint) and drive very softly (never go above 3000 rpm even on hwys). My earlier car, 97'Altima, only required CV boots, spark plugs, brakes, tires and oil changes till the time I sold it after 10yrs/98k miles. Hope my new max will not require a warranty. But I am just unsure about the electronics. I do not want to drive around in such a beautiful car with the Bose stereo or automatic moonroof or something else not working. So I am planning to purchase the warranty after the initial 3yrs/36k miles.

I am wondering about two things:

1. Why did you purchase your warranty now and not wait till 3yrs/36k miles? (BTW, did you read my previous long post on the price analysis?)

2. Can't we purchase warranty from a Nissan dealer in a different state where the price is less and use it in FL? As far as I know, these warranties are valid in the entire US irrespective of which state we purchase it from as long as the seller is an authorized Nissan dealer.

Last edited by bb700092; 09-18-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Love my '09

yes and no

Your answers...

1. Why did you purchase your warranty now and not wait till 3yrs/36k miles? (BTW, did you read my previous long post on the price analysis?)

Difference isn't all that much for us in Florida. And the more important, I had the $ lying around needing a good home. lol

2. Can't we purchase warranty from a Nissan dealer in a different state where the price is less and use it in FL? As far as I know, these warranties are valid in the entire US irrespective of which state we purchase it from as long as the seller is an authorized Nissan dealer.

Yes and no. If your home of record where you purchased your warranty is Florida, it's actually underwritten by a different part of Nissan. On the back of the warranty brochure, it'll tell you that in the very fine print. Your warranty will be good anywhere tho. I'd thought about buying it with my father's address in Missouri. I'd have probably have gotten it at the much cheaper price, but then, ins. agencies and people like that have a funny way of coming back stating "fraud" and crap and not paying claims. Just another hassle I'm not willing to deal with. (got my hands full with a almost teenage daughter, I don't need further headaches)

Would I like to mod and do all kinds of fun things? Yeah. My father and brother are the ones that have been in the automotive field for, well, ever. If I were in Mo, they'd do it all for me and I'll I'd have to do is sign the checks. However, I can Identify an engine 10/10 tries, and can sometimes point out other items under the hood. I'm NOT a mechanic. However, want me to troubleshoot your 20k node WAN link, troubleshoot your SAN issues or build you a fully functional server, I'm your man. I'm a professional geek and I'm happy with that. Unlike some of the great folks here, I don't get a whole lot of grease under my fingers.

Last edited by Compusmurf; 09-18-2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: extended warranty with a new Maxima?