6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Back window tint

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:11 PM

Back window tint

I would post this in a parts section but i didn't see anything specific for tint :$

I got my windows done at a shop today, they did a really good job on all of the doors. The back window however already seems to be bubbling mostly because of the little black dots that are at the top of the and surrounding the borders. This isn't small time I'm up close with a fine tooth comb bubbling, I can see this from my porch about 30 yards away.

Anyone else have a problem with tinting the back window of a newer max? Should I ask them to redo it as is, give it some time to dry and stop being antsy, or rip it all off, razor blade the black dots off, and have them do it again?

Last edited by Meangunz; 05-07-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:18 PM

I think you should give it time to dry. when I got mine done on my 02, the same happens, the film is more hazy(sp?) or wet looking.... then again is was more of a case of the wet spots rather than bubbles. and today I actually called the guy about my back window, he said it's normal for the film to have some wet spots, since the the film is not sitting on window, but rather the those dots/patterns on the window.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:20 PM

Those bubbles will NOT come off with "time" as those ****ers may say...

There is a big difference between air bubbles and "glue" bubbles. Think about it, no way in hell that AIR will escape out of no where with "time." If they give you that **** then take a bat to one of their windows and tell them to glue all the pieces back together...

A shop will either do a good job on the rear window with dots, or just cut along the top line so that there is no tint on that portion, but for the most part there will be bubbles up there and it may even un-stick if it is humid while applying the tint.

TAKE IT BACK and have them redo it

Last edited by !PrjctMax!; 05-07-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 PM

I meant to say 30 yards, not 3 yards!

I will wait 2-3 days and see what happens. since I already see a crease where the film is coming up, I'm pretty sure its not going to fix itself.

I ended up going with illegal tint off the books with no warranty so i hope they will actually give it another shot without charging, i cant imagine they wouldn't.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:46 PM

illegal tints off the books?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:04 PM

i had the same issue when i had my windows tinted. just wait it out about 3 days if u still see the bubbles take it back and tell them to re do it...

how is it a illegal tints in the back, whats your state law on it?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:17 PM

you mean you paid cash, so no receipt? they would fix it if they are nice maybe?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:14 PM

I did 18% on the back and 28% on the fronts, state law is 35% all windows.

Illegal off the books means I had to pay cash so there was no record of them tinting a car illegally.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

If you think the bubbles won't go away or there are some contaminants under the film, I say take it back to them immediately. I don't know how long it takes the glue to set, but I bet it's a heckuva lot easier to take off when it's fresh than cured. If anything, go there and at least ask their personal opinion and see if they will redo it if it doesn't go away.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:07 AM

I called the place today and they said they were going to warn me about it but had forgotten. They said that on maxima's and some bmw's where this strip is, there isnt really a way around it. they had used glue and only offered to cut the strip off leaving the 3" or so of dots visible.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Meangunz
I called the place today and they said they were going to warn me about it but had forgotten. They said that on maxima's and some bmw's where this strip is, there isnt really a way around it. they had used glue and only offered to cut the strip off leaving the 3" or so of dots visible.
Thats funny cause the guy I paid cash to do mine said the same thing about the Maxima and BMW's, I guess they teach them that at the weekend tint training course, tinting windows is all about the experience of doing it otherwise anyone can tint windows

I don't get it, tint is hit or miss on cars, and I've seen 2 cars leave the same place, one with perfect tint the other looked like it needed to be redone, my brother paid 300 for 5% all around and the job came out perfect, I paid 250 for 15% and it's just not what I expected, overall the quality looks good but the guy just did not follow through to the end.

As far as cash or credit, cash is just so the guy can pocket it, all tint is illegal, here in NY/NJ your not suppose to have any tint on the front windows and all places advertise they tint, all the cars coming out have dark windows, my brother is in Georgia, limit there is 35%, the tint places he went to carries 20% and 5% for cars, but down in and around ATL everybody is tinted.

Last edited by STARR; 05-08-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:16 PM

Well i am going to a shop to get my subs installed tomorrow, they also do tint, so i am going to ask what they think about the whole thing since they will be able to look at it.

The side windows came out beautiful, almost looks like they are stock. Whenever i have tinted a car myself (like 8 different cars) i always have 1 window that gets on my nerves.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Where is my shirt?

Yeah bro it you get the bubbles.. take her back to the shop you got em' how long ago did you get it done?
Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 PM

the dots on the back winshield will not b tinted the same as the rest of the winshield.. it looks fine though once it drys.. i had the same prob.. it'll dry str8 across the top of the winshield n yull see the dots.. dont wry about it..
Old 05-08-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by GrimMax
Yeah bro it you get the bubbles.. take her back to the shop you got em' how long ago did you get it done?
This is going on day 3 and there is no improvement, it may still be too early. Grim, i did notice by the image in your sig that it looks pretty much like your back window, did you tint over the dots, or is that with the strip cut out where the dots are?
Old 05-09-2008, 06:22 AM

have them cut the tint at the dots...
Have them apply black vinyl over this area.
This is what real tint shops do.
Get it re-done, especially before they ruin your window defroster.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

It's all about skillz and how much you are willing to spend on extra time required. Here in BK you can get it tinted for $180 or more. If you put an extra $50 in the installers hand, he can do wonders.

I've seen top-notch cars tinted (lambos, MBs, mazerratis, ferraris, etc. at 212Motoring and the work was impecable, but I am more then sure they paid more then $200 to get it done properly even thou their glass real estate is much smaller.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:23 PM

more than likely the bubbles will not go away, only a small percentage of them usually go away. I have had no problem with my 20% tint all around. You should go back, or go somewhere else

also most places will do illegal tint ON the books, u just have to sign a waiver stating that u know the tint is illegal and if you get pulled over by US cops, u cant take it back to the tint place and make them take it off for free. Its just their way of covering their *****
Old 07-10-2008, 08:50 PM

a REAL tinter will know how to handle the matrix where it looks as seamless as possible into the rest of the glass. only a hack would ever cut the film off and leave it untinted.
and the "dots" can't be removed. they're part of the ceramic frit made on the glass. (if you don't like it, you'll have to take it up with nissan.)
one way to do it is have the film removed and black matte vinyl installed over the matrix. it's a decent alternative. but not my choice.
the matrix on these models is one of the worst. not much you do looks great. but if it's done the professional way, at least it looks even.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:02 AM

shaqless. what percentage is that??
Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 PM

30% on the doors, 5% on the rear glass.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:48 AM

I Believe your talking about the matrix dots at the top...

I had my Maxima tinted the day after i bought it and they used black vinyl on the top dot matrix area, and the rest of the window was tinted limo.

They did such a good job, i can't tell where one ends and the other begins and the dots look good.

I always have a few small bubbles here and there after a tint job but they always go away.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just got my 2006 Maxima tinted 4 days ago and the rear window looks terrible! The matrix on top turned out horrible and the guy told me there would be no problem doing it. I took it back today and now he tells me that is as good as it will get w/out using vinyl to cover them. Then he told me if I was such an expert I should open my own tint shop...

There has to be a better solution than vinyl. Reading the comments above sounds like I need to go to a better tint shop.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:01 PM

I have never heard of any professional tint really having problems. All I will say is go to a tint shop that offers lifetime warranty for all US and Canada like mine! Any bubbles or whatsoever, I just need my receipt and stopping at any shop that uses that same tint on cars. Then it is replaced for free. I recommend a shop which will give you guys lifetime warranties.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

if its in the dot matrix on the back tell'em to throw a viynal strip on there it give it that seemless look
Old 09-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

window problem

Does anyone have this problem?? i got my max for about 4 month, but during these 2 weeks, my windows have problem...

sometimes when i pull my window down, but i CAN'T PULL UP, that **** is not moving, just stop there... the only way to pull up is using my hands...

does anyone know what is wrong with this?? anything that i need to repair...cause i hate that happen when i driving on highway...
Old 09-24-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by mikebebe
Does anyone have this problem?? i got my max for about 4 month, but during these 2 weeks, my windows have problem...

sometimes when i pull my window down, but i CAN'T PULL UP, that **** is not moving, just stop there... the only way to pull up is using my hands...

does anyone know what is wrong with this?? anything that i need to repair...cause i hate that happen when i driving on highway...
Nice thread jack.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 PM

Let it sit in the sun on a nice warm day. Not sure what the weather is going to be like this weekend in Vermont. I had same problem and let the sun beat down on it and it sucked its self nice and tight around the dots. Good luck!