6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Automatic Transmission cooler 5-speed???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 PM

My Maxima is not equipped with the two lines for Transmission Fluid at the bottom of the Radiator. So this is the conclusion to my research and I will be installing and hopefully you guys who allready have a cooler do the same and post stickies and pictures. I will be doing mine as soon as my cooler gets here on island so it may take a few days or so. thanx for everyones help in figuring this thing out and providing input. Recommend keeping this thread open until stickies are made.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
...I don't know about the quest and how it's set up but I can tell you there are 4 lines going into my radiator. Two for engine cooling, and two for oil cooling...
Where do the oil cooling lines connect to the radiator? I don't see them on the diagram from the service manual.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 PM

So Hot bottom cool top and both coolant.
Now I'm really confused.
The bottom (inlet) is hot and the top (outlet) is cold. So the cooler gets hot coolant, cools ATF and outputs cold coolant. This is impossible.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 PM

you know what you are saying makes total sense let me look at this thing again. This is why I posted this thread because I really don't understand this ATF cooler and how it works exactly. Let me go back to the drawing board. I am glad that you are confused because this helps me double and triple check this stuff.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:20 PM

Allright now I get it... LOL Holy crap to think it took this long and this much. So I think that the cooler is just a can that connects to the tranny with hardlines inside with tranny fluid running through them and the two hoses that connect to the outside are the coolant to cool the coils inside the can. The coolant comes from the heater hose and out the hose that isn't labeled. So in conclusion I really don't think it's possible to add an aux cooler by tapping into the cooler. if you look at this drawing you will see how it connects to the coolant lines and sits against the transmission with the atf coming out of two places into the cooler.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 PM

here is the best picture I could come up with from the service manual
Old 05-08-2008, 12:01 AM

ok so I borrowed this pic from Chern's tranny rebuild thread to present a question. what are those outlets on the side of the transmission and could those possible be tapped into for an aux cooler. I looked at the other pics again on Cherns thread and noticed that where the at cooler goes up against the tranny are two open holes and on the back of the cooler are two open holes. I am wondering if the coolant is just going past the cooler into the transmission and then back out. Pretty wierd setup if you ask me. wondering if the best way to reduce heat for the atf is not adding a tranny cooler but reducing the temp of the coolant going in. Does anyone else see what I am talking about or am I just going crazy trying to figure this out. lol I don't give up easy but it allmost seems like the best thing to do.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:22 AM

what are those outlets on the side of the transmission and could those possible be tapped into for an aux cooler.
I’m not sure what outlets you refer to, but check if there’s anything connected to the hole pointed by a red arrow below:

In Quest’s manual this is where “fluid cooler tube” connects to the tranny:
Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Just an FYI, until this is sorted out, I have added an temp reducing additive I picked up at PTuning for my radiator fluid which reduces temp by as much as 30 degrees...

Product Description
NEW Radiator Relief™ supercharges your radiator by transferring heat more efficiently through the radiator. Similar to the original formula this proven coolant additive will reduce your operating temperature up to 30°F reducing engine wear that occurs during extreme use.

NEW Radiator Relief™ is also formulated with a corrosion inhibitor that reduces mineral deposits. This is the first additive that maintains pH levels that otherwise fluctuate over time resulting in core damage.

* 30 degrees lower operating temperature
* 50% quicker warm up
* No mixing required; just add to cooling system!
* Compatible with water and all anti-freeze mixtures
* Safe with all alloys
* 100% Biodegradable, Non-Corrosive and Non-Toxic Additive
* For use in all water cooled engines

Last edited by chernmax; 05-08-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Chris, you don't think that additive is bs by chance? How much was it and where could it be purchased?

po8pimp-good job on the research/pics...keep us posted
Old 05-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Chris, you don't think that additive is bs by chance? How much was it and where could it be purchased?

po8pimp-good job on the research/pics...keep us posted
Here's the link, cost about $9.50 plus S&H but I purchased mine from PTuning race shop and so far my temp needle use to sit on or slightly above the half way mark, now it's below and has been that way ever since I added it after the tranny upgrade which required us to drain and refill the radiator fluid.

http://www.designengineering.com/pro...asp?m=sc&cid=9
Old 05-15-2008, 05:23 PM

bump for progress?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by danmaz
I’m not sure what outlets you refer to, but check if there’s anything connected to the hole pointed by a red arrow below:

In Quest’s manual this is where “fluid cooler tube” connects to the tranny:
actually you are on to something here about drillinng tapping and adding an external cooler @AAMCO TRANSMISSIONS (TUSCALOOSA AL 205-556-8411)
there is no reason it should not work. since we have the case apart the metal shavings will not be an issue
Old 05-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by AAMCO
actually you are on to something here about drillinng tapping and adding an external cooler @AAMCO TRANSMISSIONS (TUSCALOOSA AL 205-556-8411)
there is no reason it should not work. since we have the case apart the metal shavings will not be an issue
I'd be all for it, but would you have to have the case apart to make it work?