6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

LED tails installed!!! Lot of pics...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by jattsingh
Thanks, I did try to take the existing lights off, however they are very hard to get loose. I unscrewed the bolts and the lights were able to move a bit, but I am having a problem pulling them straight out.. They just don't seem to budge.. Any suggestions on getting them out?
As previously posted make sure to tape the heck out of the bumper. I gently tapped my bolts with a rubber mallet. That seemed to get them loose enough to pull.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Oooookay. I am back at having issues with these lights again. Tonight I noticed that my radio button lights were out - so I thought "oh no, the LED lights are probably acting out again". And sure enough, get home, pull into the garage, and both lights are completely out.

The funny thing is when I step on the brake, it lights up fine. But the moment I let go off the brake pedal, its complete darkness (not good for night driving).

And yes, I did check all of the fuses o-n-e-b-y-o-n-e and they are fine. So what gives? Am I the only that has had this issue?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:59 PM

if the radio button lights are out, it has to be a fuse, try unplugging the lights and see if you get your interior lights back, if you do we need to warranty those lights.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by MAX2DAMAX
if the radio button lights are out, it has to be a fuse, try unplugging the lights and see if you get your interior lights back, if you do we need to warranty those lights.
Well - I just unpluged and re-pluged both lights to make sure it isn't a bad connection, but no luck. I have break lights, but no lights and now my radio button lights don't work either. I re-checked all of the fuses, and none are blown. My choices are 1) put the OEM lights back on to see if the problem persists, 2) bring it in to someone who understands electrical or 3) the hell with these lights that have given me so much headache lately
Old 08-04-2008, 09:15 PM

I just thought of something else, make sure you have the right plug in the right connector, meaning brake light plug with brake light connector on the lights and running lights with running lights on the tail lights.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Now my situation just went from bad to worse. I got home today and went to mess around with the lights, plugging, unplugging making sure that everything is connected the right away. No luck - the lights still did not work - only the brake lights did (also remember that my radio lights inside the car don't work anymore either).

Then I thought, "let me plug in the OEM lights to see if they work", and for my surprise even the OEMs didn't work . Next I decided, "ok, let me put the LED's back on because at least with them I have break lights" and this is where things REALLY went bad....

After installing the LED's back on, I noticed that even the brake lights weren't working anymore!!! Checked the fuse box, and discovered that the brake light fuse was blown, replaced it and still no go. Then I thought, "let me see if the car drives ok". Turned the engine on, went to put the car in reverse, and guess what? Now it won't change gears. I opened the little hole thing on top of the gear panel and stuck a screwdriver in so it would let me change gears.

So a summarization of the day = No LED Lights. No OEM lights. And now everytime I need to put the car in park or vice-versa, I need the assistancce of a screwdriver

I just called a mechanic and he is charging $120 bucks to come take a look at what the problem is and fix it. These lights are w/o a doubt beautiful, but had I known that I would have all of these problems, I certainly would have stayed with the OEMs

UPDATE: got the brake lights back working and resolved the gear problem (at least I no longer need a screwdriver to start the car ). However, it still a no go on the LED lights or the inside radio button lights (and yes, all of the fuses are okay).

So regardless, I am still having to have someone look at the car tomorrow to tell me why the inside lights aren't working.... what a pain in the A$$

Last edited by larsim; 08-05-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
*moderator*

Wow man that sucks, hopefully it's nothing major. mine (and it seems everyone else's) were plug and play...
Old 08-05-2008, 06:08 PM

I really wish I could help me more than what I have told you already, but without been able to actually look at the car and the connections my options are limited, please keep me updated, as of now your lights are the only ones that have had this type of issues( from my side there is a good 80-90 lights out there), regardless you are covered under warranty so a full replacement will be sent out to you if you lights turned out to be bad.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

I really wish I could help me more than what I have told you already, but without been able to actually look at the car and the connections my options are limited, please keep me updated, as of now your lights are the only ones that have had this type of issues( from my side there is a good 80-90 lights out there), regardless you are covered under warranty so a full replacement will be sent out to you if you lights turned out to be bad.
Thanks Edgar. You have been very responsive and I understand it is not your fault. The guy tomorrow will perform all of the tests to determine what the problem is and I'll let you know.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Okay - the mechanic came and took a look at it and it looks like my car is a total loss......

nah, just kidding
Here is what happened. The mechanic came, started working on the car and 15 minutes later he comes back and says:
Mechanic: Your problem is fixed.
Me: What?!
Mechanic: Yea, it's fixed.
Me: What was the problem?
Mechanic: It was a blown fuse.
Me: But I checked ALL of the fuses and none were blown!
Mechanic: Did you check the ones in the engine compartment?
Me: NO! I didn't know there were fuses in the engine compartment! I thought they were all housed in the dash box inside the car!
Mechanic: No, you have a bunch of fuses here next to the engine too.
Me: (about to beat myself in the head ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH )

Bottom line: because of the simplicity of the job, he "only" charged me $50 bucks. And he also did say that when I was messing with the LED lights I must have somehow touched the two pins together and that caused the fuse to blow (and the funny thing is I remember seeing sparks when I was messing with the lights a couple of days ago ).

So boys and girls - lessons of the day: 1) There are fuses housed inside the engine compartment! 2) When messing around with these lights, make sure your turn the car completely off and it is also a good idea not to let the pins touch each other

Last edited by larsim; 08-06-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
name came from hairdryer

Originally Posted by larsim
Okay - the mechanic came and took a look at it and it looks like my car is a total loss......

nah, just kidding
Here is what happened. The mechanic came, started working on the car and 15 minutes later he comes back and says:
Me: NO! I didn't know there were fuses in the engine compartment! I thought they were all housed in the dash box inside the car!

Bottom line: because of the simplicity of the job, he "only" charged me $50 bucks. And he also did say that when I was messing with the LED lights I must have somehow touched the two pins together and that caused the fuse to blow (and the funny thing is I remember seeing sparks when I was messing with the lights a couple of days ago ).

So boys and girls - lessons of the day: 1) There are fuses housed inside the engine compartment! 2) When messing around with these lights, make sure your turn the car completely off and it is also a good idea not to let the pins touch each other
Glad it turned out well. I'm shocked no-one mentioned there was a fuse box under the hood in this thread, but like myself, we figured you knew.
Also, when changing the lights or anything electrical, undo your neg. battery terminal.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by larsim

nah, just kidding

LOL, Duh when you bought the car didn't you get an owners manual?

When I went boost I had to move it!!!

Glad it turned out OK, your pride will heal...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 PM

guys the lights are on sale for the rest of the month, 319 shipped!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 PM
*moderator*

Actually there are 2 fuse boxes under the hood, keep that in mind when something else goes wrong next time!!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 AM

i recently got my lights but hadnt installed them since i didnt really have time and it just so happens that my brake lights dont work on one of the tails and the other just completly doesnt light up. wtf??
Old 08-07-2008, 07:33 AM

hey omar try this:
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...look-here.html
Old 08-12-2008, 07:40 AM

hey thanx max2damax i opened up the connectors a bit and they work nicely....they look so sweet!!!! now its like to tint or not to tint...that is the question?? haha
Old 08-16-2008, 01:18 PM

okay love these so far, 1 problem i searched all 11 pages of this thread i dont think its in here...1st day, worked fine all day...2nd day worked fine half the day. my brother took my car for a minutre to check it out when i noticed my left tails are out.. so when he gets back i turn off the car and figured w.e ill wait untill my reverse l.e.ds come and ill take a look to see if its loose... i turn on my car an hour and a half later to leave and there both working again... is this going to be a consitant problem?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:24 PM

now a differnt problem awaits, both lights work except the left brake light now.. i just turned on my car, works fine.. 30 seconds later it doesnt turn on at all..heres some pics someone help! this is what it looks like sorry for the bad pic its with my phone ..notice the left light is completely turned off when it press the breaks do you think this is a loose connection or what? i dont feel like constanltly redoing it so im waiting for my reverse lights which will be here in 2 days =
Old 08-16-2008, 06:27 PM

Libz, just try to do this
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...look-here.html
Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 PM

same thing happened to me last week.
Just open the pins... it comes back to life!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Well I ordered the clear tails first and from the rear it looks good but from the side/angle its to much. It would look good with black wheels,tint and without the chrome door handles. So I decided to exchange for red and I'll have finished picks next week.

But for anyone who wants to see what chrome tails look like on smoke here you go.....
Old 08-23-2008, 07:15 PM

looks awsome.
nice job
Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Ok, so I installed the Red tails today and I had to play with the connectors to get them to work. The reverse tails worked right away no problem. The main brake light did not work until I took the pins and spread the inward.

My biggest problem is my 04 Maxima has one brown connector and one grey connector for the 3157 bulb and I found that they had the connections switched around the wrong way. I can't get the Brown connector to lock into its place. I had to stretch the wire with the shortest length over into the next hole where this Brown connector does lock into to.

For now they work ok except both blinkers will blink normal and then real fast.

I looked here http://www.vqpower.com/v2/news.php?readmore=212 and I have a different harness with a brown connector and different wire colors too.

Last edited by SmokinMaxSE; 08-25-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:30 PM

whats going on guys? i put int the lights and they worked perfectly only thing was that i had already ordered lights from autolumination and my excitement took control of me and i ordered the wrong set of bulbs. i apparently ordered the front turn single lights which are 1157. would this be the light above the the hid light or the side marker light.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:50 PM

Need fellow LED Tail Light Peeps Opinion

I am looking at purchasing some LED Tail lights for my Maxima but not sure what fixture I should get. I have a '05 Smoke Metallic with Chrome Rims and dark tinted windows. I saw the clear on SmokinMax's and the Reds. Do yall think the smoke would look too tacky?
Thanks.
Scrappy
Old 09-18-2008, 12:53 PM

I like the smoke lights, they look classy not ricey like the chrome ones
Old 09-18-2008, 01:29 PM

I like the smoke lights, they look classy not ricey like the chrome ones
I agree Max and I value your opinion on this, thanks for replying.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:12 PM

Here's some night pics of my LED tail's.. Thanks to 04MAX_ILLIN for installing them for me... some pics came out a lil blurry... keep in mind.. the pics dont look as hot as seeing it in person.. i cant stop looking at them!!

Last edited by I3LAZEN; 09-20-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:13 PM

This pic is with the car in reverse [18 led reverse bulb] & no brakes applied...

This is with the brakes applied and in reverse...

a nice photoshop edit of 1 of the pics..

Last edited by I3LAZEN; 09-20-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:24 PM

heres some really nice pics of the tail lights

Old 09-20-2008, 03:46 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by I3LaZeN
Here's some night pics of my LED tail's.. Thanks to 04MAX_ILLIN for installing them for me... some pics came out a lil blurry... keep in mind.. the pics dont look as hot as seeing it in person.. i cant stop looking at them
Wow, very good pics. Your license plate light is lighting the ground? or is that another light?

Last edited by SmokinMaxSE; 09-21-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:33 PM

thanks.. nah.. i have blue LED ne0n underbody lights.. my license plate bulbs are white LEDs

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
Wow, very good pics. Your license plate late is lighting the ground? or is that another light?
Old 09-21-2008, 02:09 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Looks Great, I get mad props for mine, welcome to the club!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:13 AM

looks great bro...
Old 09-21-2008, 10:27 AM

damn those look incredible. When I get my max this is one of the first mods Im gonna buy.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by jetsfan2008
damn those look incredible. When I get my max this is one of the first mods Im gonna buy.
hit me up when you are ready
Old 09-21-2008, 04:43 PM
the anti rice

FYI

These are cheaper on ebay
Old 09-21-2008, 05:05 PM

FYI for zuko,

no its not, i got it for $319.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:08 PM
the anti rice

Originally Posted by blaxima06
FYI for zuko,

no its not, i got it for $319.
You're doing it wrong

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...mZ110290474450

Quick Reply: LED tails installed!!! Lot of pics...