6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

This is a must read for those who want headers....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:11 PM

This SUCKS I wanted these headers. I simply cannot afford 700 dollar headers plus a 600 dollar install. No way I'm investing 1300 bucks in one part.

Joshua
Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by philoforlife
This SUCKS I wanted these headers. I simply cannot afford 700 dollar headers plus a 600 dollar install. No way I'm investing 1300 bucks in one part.

Joshua

Quality headers for 100 bucks, what did you expect???
Old 03-26-2008, 07:07 PM

Joshua
100 bucks for headers, and your bound to run into some problems...im not upset that the ebay headers didnt work out, and i wasnt suprised either. I just bought them cause i wanted to give it a shot. So now im just going to wait on stillen or catman to produce their...and as far as you spending 600 dollars for someone to install them...my best advice for you then is find someone that is knowledgeble mechanic thats willing to help you do it yourself...
Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by jinyumax
100 bucks for headers, and your bound to run into some problems...im not upset that the ebay headers didnt work out, and i wasnt suprised either. I just bought them cause i wanted to give it a shot. So now im just going to wait on stillen or catman to produce their...and as far as you spending 600 dollars for someone to install them...my best advice for you then is find someone that is knowledgeble mechanic thats willing to help you do it yourself...
I helped install the Hotshot headers from start to finish in my Max and I was the first to install headers in a 6th Gen Max that did not require any modification to the header what so ever (Hotshot headers were a direct bolt up).

I also helped my former sponsor write the procedures and it took 2-3 of us 11 hrs. After completion we determined a minimum of 2 people were required and we could shorten the time to about 6-8 hrs with a team that had a semi clue of what to expect based on the lessons we learned.

At current labor rates of 65-85 dollars per man hour, $600 is a minimum price you can expect to pay with the work required to install headers in a 6th Gen Max, anyone quoting you less has obviously never installed headers in a 6th Gen. Welcome to the nature of our beast!!!

Last edited by chernmax; 03-27-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:51 AM

Yea 600$ is nuts, But the guys over on Nissan Enthusiast are saying they paid only 150 for install's I'm trying to find out were.. I think they are full of BS.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by anm6
Yea 600$ is nuts, But the guys over on Nissan Enthusiast are saying they paid only 150 for install's I'm trying to find out were.. I think they are full of BS.

In what Gen though??? Absolutely not a 6th Gen, to much work!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by jinyumax
No...i Pulled them off and put the OEM headers back on...I know i could make them fit though if i either cut away some of the motor mount(which i dont want to do) or i could try to reshape the one runner on the header(another thing i dont really want to do...)
Any luck yet?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Where is my shirt?

Joshua
You know... I am considering biting the bullet for us all and going over to Kooks Custom headers and paying an amount almost like that. I went last year to these guys and they said 2K for some custom headers, dyno tune, etc.

I am hoping the price will be a lot lower since I have a Y-Pipe now though.

I will go tomorrow to these dudes and see what they say.

Maybe they will pick up a job for us?????
Old 03-27-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by GrimMax
You know... I am considering biting the bullet for us all and going over to Kooks Custom headers and paying an amount almost like that. I went last year to these guys and they said 2K for some custom headers, dyno tune, etc.

Dude doesn't post much and I know Deus knows the guy and he was the first to install headers in a Max. But like these they needed modification, he purchased a set STILLEN headers and had them modified to fit and his total cost was about 1200.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by chernmax
Dude doesn't post much and I know Deus knows the guy and he was the first to install headers in a Max. But like these they needed modification, he purchased a set STILLEN headers and had them modified to fit and his total cost was about 1200.
Hmmmmm

I am hoping it will be around that.. my last quote from Kooks included a Y-Pipe... but im hoping the natural "yearly cost of living" has not raised it.

Hey Deus.... Who is this dude?

Stillen headers for what original car?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The first person to install headers on a 6th Gen Maxima is a guy named Tom (Sexima). He took a Stillen header made for an Altima and modded it to fit the Maxima. I talked to Tom and his installer personally and he said it was a bzitch of a job but he got it to work. Basically they had to almost redesign the rear header. Tom also got me in touch with Wedge engineering for my Recaro seat brackets which fits beautifully.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
The first person to install headers on a 6th Gen Maxima is a guy named Tom (Sexima). He took a Stillen header made for an Altima and modded it to fit the Maxima. I talked to Tom and his installer personally and he said it was a bzitch of a job but he got it to work. Basically they had to almost redesign the rear header. Tom also got me in touch with Wedge engineering for my Recaro seat brackets which fits beautifully.
Thanks Deus, I knew you had the 411...
Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 AM

Anytime!!! I heard that Tom is not modding his car but instead focusing on finishing college. He also had cams installed in his car too.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:22 PM

Actually that's really not that bad a price for a custom made set of headers installed and a dyno tune. Kooks is known for quality, something your not going to get in chinamade hackery. By the time you pay for someone to modify/fix/remake/weld/patch the chinamade piece and pay for install and a tune you're going to be close to that 2k quote and you'll still have a set of headers made out of old hubcaps ready to split like a pair of Fat Albert's pants.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

Have 'em fab them TRULY equal length...if possible.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by Pronto
Actually that's really not that bad a price for a custom made set of headers installed and a dyno tune. Kooks is known for quality, something your not going to get in chinamade hackery. By the time you pay for someone to modify/fix/remake/weld/patch the chinamade piece and pay for install and a tune you're going to be close to that 2k quote and you'll still have a set of headers made out of old hubcaps ready to split like a pair of Fat Albert's pants.
Sorry for the late reply work is a bizzitch recently....

Yeah good point!! I have been looking up a lot of info on them and they are pretty known.

I have not been over there yet but this Friday for sure.

My apologizes homies!!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Have 'em fab them TRULY equal length...if possible.
Roger that!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Where is my shirt?

Ok I finally went to Kooks custom today by the way for a quote on the headers... They said I am looking at between $1,500-$1,750 for the headers.

Unfortunately, I cant do this for atleast 2 months due to some roofing issues homies.

But I will do it once I am back on my feet.

What do you guys think of the price?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:21 PM

is that for the r&d? i wonder if they make a couple of sets, would help offset the fixed costs quite a bit.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:12 AM
MAXIN' ON

Whats the hp/$ ratio?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

Modding a Maxima is never ever worth looking / giving credibility to that said ratio, ever. It costs way too much to mod thesec ars, so thinking about hp/$ is not the best way to look at it.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:18 AM

Ok I finally went to Kooks custom today by the way for a quote on the headers... They said I am looking at between $1,500-$1,750 for the headers.

Unfortunately, I cant do this for atleast 2 months due to some roofing issues homies.

But I will do it once I am back on my feet.

What do you guys think of the price?

I think you could save yourself some money waiting for the Cattman Headers to come out and just pay to get those installed. I haven't been doing this long but I haven't seen anything they make that doesn't fit right.
Sounds like the timing might work our for you too if they are still a couple months out. .02
Old 04-15-2008, 12:16 PM

I have those now g9 nismo headers for my 04Max, def. increased my horse power with to like 30 more with the straight through 3" pipes.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:20 PM
MAXIN' ON

Originally Posted by ILL-Maxima
I have those now g9 nismo headers for my 04Max, def. increased my horse power with to like 30 more with the straight through 3" pipes.
Did you dyno?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ILL-Maxima
Old 04-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
is that for the r&d? i wonder if they make a couple of sets, would help offset the fixed costs quite a bit.
Yeah I agree. No I dont think thats a fixed price or anything. I will ask once I show them I am serious about getting this job done
Old 04-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Where is my shirt?

Hey Chern.... How much HP/TQ did you get from your headers?
Old 04-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by redls1
Whats the hp/$ ratio?
Yeah thats what I wondered because when I spoke to the dude, he said I will see about 15-17HP.

Then I wondered... is it worth it?? Then I said.... Hell Yeah!! lololol
Old 04-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by Apollos2
I think you could save yourself some money waiting for the Cattman Headers to come out and just pay to get those installed. I haven't been doing this long but I haven't seen anything they make that doesn't fit right.
Sounds like the timing might work our for you too if they are still a couple months out. .02
Yeah I agree but lord knows when this will happen. Plus Kooks is world known so its not like they are a BS company. IDK bro....
Old 04-15-2008, 06:12 PM

Hey Chern.... How much HP/TQ did you get from your headers?
About 18-22hp
10-12TQ

BUT, when you add a UPD lightweight racing pulley, Fujita CAI, GReddy SP-II Catback exhaust, then I installed an APEXi Super AFC-II and had the car Dyno tuned I was putting down 256whp and for an 5spd automatic translates to a 305+hp 6th Gen Maxima. VERY FUN CAR TO DRIVE!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Amen brother... i dont have headers yet.. .but w/ my mods listed below... i f'ing love it... should have around 310+/- a few when i get my cattman headers... I hope hahah
Old 04-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Where is my shirt?

About 18-22hp
10-12TQ

BUT, when you add a UPD lightweight racing pulley, Fujita CAI, GReddy SP-II Catback exhaust, then I installed an APEXi Super AFC-II and had the car Dyno tuned I was putting down 256whp and for an 5spd automatic translates to a 305+hp 6th Gen Maxima. VERY FUN CAR TO DRIVE!!!
WOW!!!

So the dude I spoke to was not accurate huh!? 17Hp my *** huh lol

BTW... I havent installed the APEXi yet
Old 04-15-2008, 08:39 PM

WOW!!!

So the dude I spoke to was not accurate huh!? 17Hp my *** huh lol

BTW... I havent installed the APEXi yet
So many factors that it's not about being totally accurate but getting as close as possible through proper installs, tuning, maintenance, and depending on the unique configuration of your car on the day of tuning. Weather, temp, humidity, filter cleanliness, tire pressure, expertise of the tuner will produce great numbers on paper. If you run the track like I do, the lessons learned should help you get you car ready for optimum performance to back up the numbers produced on a dyno. Overall I choose track slips as a true testimate of a cars ability! (AutoX or 1/4 mile track)
Old 04-15-2008, 08:43 PM

I race at autocross and high speed autocross events. What I find amazing is that other than tire changes, the car from the factory is pretty darn amazing. True, the mods do make a difference on the tracks in my experience, but a stock Maxima never ceases to amaze me. Of course the modified Maxima drives astoundingly well, but it can get quite costly.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I race at autocross and high speed autocross events. What I find amazing is that other than tire changes, the car from the factory is pretty darn amazing. True, the mods do make a difference on the tracks in my experience, but a stock Maxima never ceases to amaze me. Of course the modified Maxima drives astoundingly well, but it can get quite costly.
on the last ....
Old 04-15-2008, 09:05 PM

on the last ....
What better person to know this than Chern
Old 04-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Where is my shirt?

So many factors that it's not about being totally accurate but getting as close as possible through proper installs, tuning, maintenance, and depending on the unique configuration of your car on the day of tuning. Weather, temp, humidity, filter cleanliness, tire pressure, expertise of the tuner will produce great numbers on paper. If you run the track like I do, the lessons learned should help you get you car ready for optimum performance to back up the numbers produced on a dyno. Overall I choose track slips as a true testimate of a cars ability! (AutoX or 1/4 mile track)

So much stuff to go into this project.....

I really didnt realize that this must be taken into consideration for even installations.

Cooler weather be better then for this project?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:13 AM

So much stuff to go into this project.....

I really didnt realize that this must be taken into consideration for even installations.

Cooler weather be better then for this project?
Cool spring and fall weather normally produce some of the best 1/4 mile times...
Old 04-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Where is my shirt?

Cool spring and fall weather normally produce some of the best 1/4 mile times...
LOL... no I mean.... about getting these custom headers done ... should I wait until the fall now or a cool spring day?

The weather can add to either low or high gains during an install right?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:10 PM

LOL... no I mean.... about getting these custom headers done ... should I wait until the fall now or a cool spring day?

The weather can add to either low or high gains during an install right?
I personally would wait for Cattman headers, even email and pester him on the status. Less down time and a guaranteed fit when complete...

Quick Reply: This is a must read for those who want headers....