6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Hit a pothole while accelerating, now steering shakes on highway

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:18 PM

Hit a pothole while accelerating, now steering shakes on highway

I hit a HUGE pothole a couple of days ago (I'd call that a trench), while fully accelerating and I heard a HUGE bang, damn...

Car was perfectly fine, but today I got on the highway and realized that the steering wheel was "shaking" at highway speeds, and it just felt like the car was slightly shaking. Nothing huge, but it did not feel right.

What is it probably? How much to fix? Going to the dealership tomorrow so they can look into that....
Old 02-28-2008, 06:25 PM

Ah-lie-ment
Old 02-28-2008, 06:27 PM

Do you think it could be only the alignment?
How can hitting a pothole screw that up?

How much to fix usually ?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
Do you think it could be only the alignment?
How can hitting a pothole screw that up?

How much to fix usually ?
Man, listen to yourself. Im not trying to flame seriously but do you know what the word alignment means? For the car to drive straight the wheels have to be perfectly "aligned" with each other. Now, Hitting a pothole you dont think would affect the "alignment" of your wheels?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:35 PM

I'm no mechanic, but to me, wheels are bolted to the suspension and driveshaft and steering. So if it was aligned a week ago, how can hitting a pothole screw that up? It twisted metal somewhere? I mean, it did not unscrew alignment bolts, de-align, and then re-screw alignment bolts....
Old 02-28-2008, 06:41 PM
KC's FINEST

Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
that's some funny $#it
Old 02-28-2008, 06:50 PM

Bah seriously, usually, is it just the alignment or more?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:57 PM
KC's FINEST

Im gonna move some of your questions to OT.

They could probably come up with a few more answers...

Old 02-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Damm KC - you almost blinded me.... let me go get my sunglasses
Old 02-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

I'm no mechanic, but to me, wheels are bolted to the suspension and driveshaft and steering. So if it was aligned a week ago, how can hitting a pothole screw that up? It twisted metal somewhere? I mean, it did not unscrew alignment bolts, de-align, and then re-screw alignment bolts....
Bah seriously, usually, is it just the alignment or more?
Check to see if the wheels are bent or something. If not, most likely the car is not aligned properly anymore.....
Old 02-28-2008, 07:25 PM

Ok cool thanks, ill tell you tomorrow
Old 02-28-2008, 07:26 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

hopefully just the alignment. If you hit it hard and the wheel got bend, its another problem, but I doubt it.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:30 PM

was just wheel balance. They said the left front wheel balance was way off, they rebalanced it and shaking is gone. Didnt get a chance to test it on highway yet, I'll do that later tonight after all traffic is gone.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:34 PM

was just wheel balance. They said the left front wheel balance was way off, they rebalanced it and shaking is gone. Didnt get a chance to test it on highway yet, I'll do that later tonight after all traffic is gone.
Yeah don't know why anyone didn't just suggest that from begging. If its just vibration its usually (not always) a wheel out of balance or round (bent). When the car is not driving straight, tires wearing abnormal/rubbing etc then it an alignment issue. In any case usually check balancing as its the cheapest/quickest problem to fix.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:55 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Post like this make baby jesus cry.

And they just keep growing...
Old 02-29-2008, 05:54 PM

I've got a question.

I have tried it on the highway at 70-75, and even though it's way better, the steering wheel still does vibrate a little bit. past 65.

Does your steering vibrate a little bit at these speeds? I'm not talking abolut the cracks in the road or anything, but at 70 on the highway on cruise control, can you feel your steering slightly vibrating?

Maybe it's not just the balance? What about yours ?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:03 PM

Check the easy things first. As mentioned above, check the wheel. Also inspect the tire. Possibly broke the belts? More than likely it's an alignment issue.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Should I just wait a month, then I'll put my mags and summer tires, and if it's not gone ill go back for another checkup I guess..... and if it's gone, it's a problem w the wheel...
Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

You probably hit a bump and knocked a wheel weight off. Nothing to worry about Jesus.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
You probably hit a bump and knocked a wheel weight off. Nothing to worry about Jesus.
You can call me Kryogen, it's allight
Thx
Old 03-01-2008, 10:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'd rather refer to you as clueless.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 AM
GrandPa

Guys that I thought would never flame anyone are really going hard on this guy. He might be clueless ^^ but aren't we supposed to help no matter what question is asked? Give this guy a break. Remember one thing if you dish it out be ready to take it.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Montreal is pot hole capitol of the world....sometimes it just takes one pot hole to ruin the alignment! I wait till the spring after the road crews have fixed the 3,200 pot holes around Montreal...on roads, main streets and highways...to have my aligment fixed. IMO you should check your mag wheel to see if it's bent and your tire pressure AND your wheel balance. All of these will contribute to "Shake". Take it from a pro! Wait till spring to do the big stuff and if the driving is that bad on the highway you probably need a wheel balancing as on the highway if car is pulling to one side or the other it's the alignment while shaking is due to either a bent wheel or unbalanced wheel or both. Make sure you take it to a garage that has a special "Road Force" balancing machine. Most dealers have this and the good dealers don't charge more than a local garage to do this.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:08 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by ramberg
Guys that I thought would never flame anyone are really going hard on this guy. He might be clueless ^^ but aren't we supposed to help no matter what question is asked? Give this guy a break. Remember one thing if you dish it out be ready to take it.
I did help him, and you know me, I don't .

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-01-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:49 AM

I've got a question.

I have tried it on the highway at 70-75, and even though it's way better, the steering wheel still does vibrate a little bit. past 65.

Does your steering vibrate a little bit at these speeds? I'm not talking abolut the cracks in the road or anything, but at 70 on the highway on cruise control, can you feel your steering slightly vibrating?

Maybe it's not just the balance? What about yours ?
If its the stock RSAs then that could be one of the problems. Usually vibration is a balance issue. The best machine to balance is the Hunter Roadforce, which I think Big O Tires has (not sure if thats in your area) but yeah, the RSA's suck. They wear unevenly even if the car is alligned.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:17 PM

For now I have 17 inch steel rims with 17 inch winter tires. Toyo garrit HT winter tires... but the steering wasnt shaking before I hot that huge pothole.

The dealer balanced the 2 front wheels, and even though it does shake WAY less, there is still a slight vibration in the steering around 70mph. Nothing extreme or dangerous, just a vibration...

I'll wait another month until I put on my mags with 18 inch brand new RSAs(recall), and then if it's gone it was the wheel, and if not I'll have an alignment done...

Useless to have it done now I guess, I keep hitting huge potholes every time I take the car..... montreal streets at spring are horrible.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mine has been shaking like a leaf since it hit 13k miles. I had the tires rebalanced 3 times and it just gets worse. I dont know if its the Goodyear shop has an old roadforce machine thats uncalibrated, or if the crummy RSA tires are just so screwed up they wont hold a balance. I think its the tires, and im almost ready to plunk down 1k for new Michelins, i dont have the energy to fight with the jerks at Goodyear. My town has 3 Goodyear shops and they all have dummies working at them, 8 dollar an hour kids who dont understand how to use the 20k balance machine, even if it is up to spec. My dealer is a total *** so thats out of the question. It sucks because its starting to make driving the car so unpleasant id rather drive my pickup, and the only options are to pull tires with plenty of rubber and spend a grand to replace them. Nissan really screwed the pooch with these friggin crap tires.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ah yes....and check the lousy RSA tires for side wall cracks...there is a recall on them. Goodyear replaces these irregardless of mileage for a small fee. Try taking your Max back to the dealer and ask them help regarding the vibration. My dealer has been amazing in this regard though I'm up here in Montreal, Canada. (YAY Canadiens Hockey Team!)
Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 PM

For now I have 17 inch steel rims with 17 inch winter tires. Toyo garrit HT winter tires... but the steering wasnt shaking before I hot that huge pothole.

The dealer balanced the 2 front wheels, and even though it does shake WAY less, there is still a slight vibration in the steering around 70mph. Nothing extreme or dangerous, just a vibration...

I'll wait another month until I put on my mags with 18 inch brand new RSAs(recall), and then if it's gone it was the wheel, and if not I'll have an alignment done...

Useless to have it done now I guess, I keep hitting huge potholes every time I take the car..... montreal streets at spring are horrible.
You mean aluminum?
Old 03-01-2008, 09:35 PM

Maybe you might have hit the pothole so hard the steelbelts in the tire broke apart causing the tire to wobble at the higher speeds vibrating through the rest of the cars suspension and steering.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:45 AM

The recall on rsa tires ended dec 31. The dealer acted as if they had no clue, so did nissan canada, and they told me to call goodyear canada. Goodyear told me the recall had ended and only their normal warranty is good now, with % use.

So I had 2 tires at 50% and 1 at 25% and one new from the dealer because it had a flat.

Goodyear refused to change the new one (even though it's got the defective serial number and it will eventually crack, they told me to come back when it's cracked).,

So I paid 50%, 50%, and 75% for 3 new tires. Not exactly cheap, but oh well, at least not full price.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ive had my RSAs rebalanced 4x now by Goodyear shops in my town, and each time it gets worse. They even ruined one of my rims, they said they were going to turn the tire on the rim to help it balance and the potato head tech used the "wrong dismount machine" and dragged the tire breaker across 3 out of 6 spokes. They bought a new rim and guess what, its a different shade of sliver than the one they wrecked, its acually kind of gray. They claim its the clear, "once it fades in a few months it will match the others." Im so sick of Goodyear tires and their incompetent jerkoff shops. Now the Nissan dealer is going to give it a whirl, maybe they will figure out HOW TO BALANCE A GODDAMN TIRE since Goodyear cannot. These crappy tires probably wont balance no matter what, but the stooges at Goodyear cant figure out how to add friggin air without mangling my car!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 AM

The vibration isn't just coming for the RSA's it's the cheap steering column (damper) or should i say light wieght damper on our cars thats why with accurate balance you still my get some vibration

Last edited by Lovemycar; 03-03-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Xactbalance has done the trick

Well, just got back from the dealer, they found every single wheel was out of balance, thanks to the local Goodyear tire shop. They rebalanced using a roadforce machine and Xactbalance weights, and 95% of what I felt before is gone. I agree these Maximas have inherent shimmy in the steering column, but I didnt know about this Xactbalance system till the dealer. It costs 80 bucks for all 4 wheels, but I think these weights are the new standard and if you are having shimmy problems find a shop that has them, its worth the extra cash. Anybody with a decent car should use them just for the appearance, they look cool too. This is one of those "why didnt i think of that" inventions. Here is a link.

http://www.imiproducts.com/xact/index.aspx
Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by fornboglod
Mine has been shaking like a leaf since it hit 13k miles. I had the tires rebalanced 3 times and it just gets worse. I dont know if its the Goodyear shop has an old roadforce machine thats uncalibrated, or if the crummy RSA tires are just so screwed up they wont hold a balance. I think its the tires, and im almost ready to plunk down 1k for new Michelins, i dont have the energy to fight with the jerks at Goodyear. My town has 3 Goodyear shops and they all have dummies working at them, 8 dollar an hour kids who dont understand how to use the 20k balance machine, even if it is up to spec. My dealer is a total *** so thats out of the question. It sucks because its starting to make driving the car so unpleasant id rather drive my pickup, and the only options are to pull tires with plenty of rubber and spend a grand to replace them. Nissan really screwed the pooch with these friggin crap tires.
This is the exact same thing that I am going through with purchasing 4 brand new nankak ultrasport ns2 tires. It keeps shaking around 50-70 on the highway..After going back to good year 3 times they still couldn't balance my tires correctly..And I'm so pissed because the nissan guys are just trying to comfort me when they say, "it's just the tires!!!!". They basically sent me out of the shop saying I should just deal with it in a manner of speaking when I was thinking surely they can fix the problem if goodyear couldnt..They didn't even try to balance the tires or anything.....Unacceptable!! I'm honestly considering getting my attorney on the matter as the frustration now is through the roof...

What do you guys suggest I do? Take it back to nissan an tell them to balance and check the wheels to see if they're bent?
Old 06-27-2008, 07:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check if there are any bubbles on tires... inner and outer parts...

it's most likely bent inside..
Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by johnsmithy82
Check if there are any bubbles on tires... inner and outer parts...

it's most likely bent inside..
bubbles? You're saying the rim is possibly bent?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:05 PM

send it in for an alignment and wheel balance....expect to find out that there are some broken/bent parts or bent rims
Old 06-28-2008, 01:48 PM

I hope not. That can get expensive!

Quick Reply: Hit a pothole while accelerating, now steering shakes on highway