6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New to the game!....Advice on first Mod please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:42 AM

New to the game!....Advice on first Mod please!

Hey guys and Gals! I'm new and love what i see so far. A little about myself.....I have a 2005 Maxima, black on black fully loaded. First time since i bought it new that i'm going to start puttin money into it and i would like to know what you guys recommend i do first. I'm thinking wheels....just can't decide between 20s or 22s....lowering springs or coilovers.....i don't want to have a rough ride and don't want to buy new tires every three months cause they wear out so fast. I need help from the Maxima.org gurus!!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:48 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Drop on 20s

Old 02-24-2008, 10:52 AM
SickSE

I need to go change my pants....

Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 AM

Nice Ride AllBlackMax! How much did you drop the car in the front and rear? Did it affect the ride comfort much?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:33 AM

Props on the look of your ride man. looks clean!

Last edited by SEmy2K2go; 02-25-2008 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:45 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Ridin on Eibachs; 2 inch front and .8 drop in the rear. I would like to drop more in the front but my y-pipe will scrape. Thanks.

Originally Posted by HGBallin
Nice Ride AllBlackMax! How much did you drop the car in the front and rear? Did it affect the ride comfort much?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Ridin on Eibachs; 2 inch front and .8 drop in the rear. I would like to drop more in the front but my y-pipe will scrape. Thanks.
so did you have to change your struts or just the springs? sorry for all the questions man.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

.... I'm thinking wheels....just can't decide between 20s or 22s....lowering springs or coilovers.....i don't want to have a rough ride and don't want to buy new tires every three months cause they wear out so fast.....
Hi HG, welcome aboard. I'm dropped on 18's. For the reasons you cited. money, ride, tires etc. I'm on Progress springs and rear sway bar the rest of the supension is stock. No problems for two years

You can't really loose with Eibachs or Progress. I know in the past some people had noise problems with Eibachs but I haven't heard about that in a while. No known issues with Progress. Do you have an SE or SL? Are your windows tinted already?
Old 02-24-2008, 12:28 PM

Very clean whip. Gives it a nice look of luxury, especially with that E&G grill.

Tight.

Last edited by SEmy2K2go; 02-25-2008 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:29 PM
aka The Doom Ship

You don't HAVE to change the struts but I did.

so did you have to change your struts or just the springs? sorry for all the questions man.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:52 PM

I have black on black 2005 Maxima and I would debadge your car, tint the windows, and ur really set on 20s or 22's then go for it. Just take your time with your decision cuz rims and tires are expensive.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:47 PM

I recommend a fairly aggressive drop and some nice 20" lip wheels. Most peeps on here don't slam there max due to road conditions in there area, but if you can pull it off doz it. All though the ride is alil bumpier....it looks so clean.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:08 PM

AllBlackMax-I thought you were dropped on coil-overs?
Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 PM
*moderator*

If you want all you metioend in your first post then I'd say 20's with springs, 22's and coilovers would be your worst personal scenario...

(BTW, I'm on 20's with coilovers....love my go kart!!)

Last edited by jsmithsole; 02-26-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:58 PM

I'd consinder putting some coilovers, but not as long as I have my 18" tires. Recently bought these new tires so I'm looking for some 18" wheels to go with them. Once these tires are done I'll end up with 20's, but it's still a little bit of a toss up. For all those that live in Miami know that during the summer the rain that falls at times is ridiculous. Plus, many areas around Miami have a sh_tty sewage system (pun intended) and you have flooding all over. That's the one thing that makes me even second guess dropping the Maxima a bit. I must admit, I like how the car looks with that "dumped" look, but I definately wouldn't want to slam my car, just drop it enough to fill that gap up in the front.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice ride
All black max
Old 02-24-2008, 05:07 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I wish. I want those JIC-Magic's bad.

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
AllBlackMax-I thought you were dropped on coil-overs?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:40 PM
This Space for Rent

tint and a grille... then maybe mufflers
Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Well.... I have a 2k5 lowered on H&R's and Ky2GR2's... With 20in TSW Kaylami's ... But MY first mod was tint, then cai... If you got the $$$$$$ slap on some nice 20's and tint ...

Goodl Luck

Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 PM

Tint's a must, especially down here in Miami. I would also strongly recommend a very good alarm system, i.e. Clifford and such, especially with the remote start functionality. Other than that, perhaps an upgrade from the OEM, horrible Goodyear RSA tires which you would need to do regardless when you do your 20's-22's wheel change.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:24 PM

Does anyone else think it looks like there is a lit spliff in the foreground of allblackmax's second pic??
Old 02-24-2008, 09:48 PM

You need a turbo.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:57 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Ya'll notice the craziest things.

Originally Posted by PhotoGus
Does anyone else think it looks like there is a lit spliff in the foreground of allblackmax's second pic??
Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 AM
GrandPa

Most of the 6th gen owners that I know in Florida have 22's. I have 18" since I do a lot of traveling and the streets in Brooklyn suck. I have Eibachs and Stillen anti sway bar among other items. When you look at your car whats the first that comes to your mind that your would like to chance. Do that and everthing else will fall into place. Keep us updated and post some pictures, There are a lot of hot 6th gens here where you can get some ideas. Good luck

Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 PM

Hey RAMBERG..where can i find those...umm.. OHiba's like you have?? Cause we all know that the COHIBA's are illegal here in the states!!

Last edited by lowpro19s; 02-25-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by lowpro19s
Hey RAMBERG..where can i find those OHIBA's like you have?? Cause we all know that the COHIBA's are illegal here in the states!!
For a minor fee I'm willing to get you some, hahaha

On the reals though, down here in Miami, it's not hard at all to get your hands on them, but than again it is Miami.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:30 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE
For a minor fee I'm willing to get you some, hahaha

On the reals though, down here in Miami, it's not hard at all to get your hands on them, but than again it is Miami.
I will be driving down at the begining of April. Maybe we can meet up.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:31 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by lowpro19s
Hey RAMBERG..where can i find those...umm.. OHiba's like you have?? Cause we all know that the COHIBA's are illegal here in the states!!
They have them in the states but not made in Cuba. They still taste good.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:52 PM

The Eibachs didnt mess up my ride quality at all...its a very smooth and quiet ride, and as long is you get the alignment done(might need a camber kit) you shouldnt have any problems with tread wear on the tires...
As far as mods go though...i myself would worry about performance first. Im trying to get all the bolt ons done first before i worry about exterior cosmetics. I did do my springs and tint first though just to keep the ride lookin clean...i just wouldnt want to be all show and no go
Old 02-25-2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
I will be driving down at the begining of April. Maybe we can meet up.
No doubt, I wouldn't mind doing so. Keep me informed to see if I'm around (thinking of going to Europe with the wife around that timeframe). Also, remember when you come down to Miami to have your pair of Guayaveras on standby, lol
Old 02-25-2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Hi HG, welcome aboard. I'm dropped on 18's. For the reasons you cited. money, ride, tires etc. I'm on Progress springs and rear sway bar the rest of the supension is stock. No problems for two years

You can't really loose with Eibachs or Progress. I know in the past some people had noise problems with Eibachs but I haven't heard about that in a while. No known issues with Progress. Do you have an SE or SL? Are your windows tinted already?
Thanks for the welcome Apollo! I have a SE and the tints are black limo tints. I was thinking about getting the Eibachs but now you've sparked my interest in the sway bar and the progress springs.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 PM

hey deuce...i like the way your ride looks de-badged and i also like what you did to your taillights. makes the car look mean! how did you get them like that?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
If you want all you metioend in your first post then I'd say 20's with springs, 22's and coilovers would be your worst persoanl scenario...

(BTW, I'm on 20's with coilovers....love my go kart!!)
well i'll ride that go kart any day. you got a badazz ride dude!
so what in your opinion are the pro and cons of springs and coilovers?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:29 PM

I'd consinder putting some coilovers, but not as long as I have my 18" tires. Recently bought these new tires so I'm looking for some 18" wheels to go with them. Once these tires are done I'll end up with 20's, but it's still a little bit of a toss up. For all those that live in Miami know that during the summer the rain that falls at times is ridiculous. Plus, many areas around Miami have a sh_tty sewage system (pun intended) and you have flooding all over. That's the one thing that makes me even second guess dropping the Maxima a bit. I must admit, I like how the car looks with that "dumped" look, but I definately wouldn't want to slam my car, just drop it enough to fill that gap up in the front.
Hey 2k4.....i'm in miami too and i can definitely agree with what you said about the flooding and potholes.....i had a sentra se-r that fell victim to hurricane wilma...r.i.p.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
Most of the 6th gen owners that I know in Florida have 22's. I have 18" since I do a lot of traveling and the streets in Brooklyn suck. I have Eibachs and Stillen anti sway bar among other items. When you look at your car whats the first that comes to your mind that your would like to chance. Do that and everthing else will fall into place. Keep us updated and post some pictures, There are a lot of hot 6th gens here where you can get some ideas. Good luck

great advice ramberg. I also know what you mean about the streets of brooklyn since i grew up there! no slammin your max with the size of potholes there man!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Drop on 20s

Yeah! That does look sporty yet classy
Old 02-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Hey guys and Gals! I'm new and love what i see so far. A little about myself.....I have a 2005 Maxima, black on black fully loaded. First time since i bought it new that i'm going to start puttin money into it and i would like to know what you guys recommend i do first. I'm thinking wheels....just can't decide between 20s or 22s....lowering springs or coilovers.....i don't want to have a rough ride and don't want to buy new tires every three months cause they wear out so fast. I need help from the Maxima.org gurus!!
Wheels and lowering are an absolute first my friend
Good luck.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:03 PM

hey deuce...i like the way your ride looks de-badged and i also like what you did to your taillights. makes the car look mean! how did you get them like that?
Thanks. I designed these and had bluebatmobile make them for me. They are for sale. Contact Andy at bluebatmobile.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:20 PM

20's and eibachs great combo. Btw, not all cohibas are illegal. They alo product some in dominica.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:09 AM
GrandPa

No doubt, I wouldn't mind doing so. Keep me informed to see if I'm around (thinking of going to Europe with the wife around that timeframe). Also, remember when you come down to Miami to have your pair of Guayaveras on standby, lol
They are ready. I will contact you before I head down to see if you are around. I also belong to this club. http://sflmaximas.com/

Quick Reply: New to the game!....Advice on first Mod please!