6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How long do you let your car warm up in the morning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dineth00i30
if you are soo annoyed by what i said just ignore it that way you will save alot of energy than posting here. thank you.
hahahahahhahahah or no.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:01 AM

Old 02-24-2008, 12:20 PM
.org extraordinaire

everything after the first page is sheet talk, thread = worthless right now.

Kamski
Old 02-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

:
Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Interesting article here with comments at the end:

http://www.terrapass.com/blog/posts/conservation-ti-2
Old 02-24-2008, 02:48 PM

'Idling is bad, and warming up your car is unnecessary'

Excellent article with sound advice. Thanks, Deus.

The only time I could see warming the engine somewhat before driving is if the temp is very cold, if there is snow/ice on the vehicle, or if one will have to climb a fairly steep street or be getting on a fast road/freeway withing minutes of beginning your trip.

In all cases, whether warming the vehicle by idling or not, the key is to drive gently until the engine is fully warmed up.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-24-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:55 PM

My pleasure. I wanted to say that in light of the recommendations, the comment about gaskets, differing metals, different fluids, and the fact that motors tend to waste more fuel cold than warm are legitimate factors. Any comments on that?
Old 02-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Engine components, lubricants, etc, must be warmed up completely before the engine will run efficiently (an efficient engine reduces emmisions), and that complete warmup will be accomplished much more quickly by driving than by sitting idling. In fact, idling does nothing to warm up components such as tires, shocks, any suspension parts.

The key is to drive very gently right after starting the car, and continue somewhat gently until full warmup has been reached.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:06 PM

Great article and I vote sticky...just clean up pages 2-3
Old 02-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 PM

The only issue I have with emissions is that engines nowadays burn soooo clean that does it really make a difference whether u idle or not with respect to emissions output out of the tailpipe?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM

When the motor is cold then I would assume yes, since it runs richer
Old 02-25-2008, 06:07 PM

But doesnt the cats burn all the HC and CO off??
Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 PM

I'm no scientist (at least not an automotive scientist), but whenever I get out of my car to pick up the newspaper after having only driven the 300 feet down the driveway from the garage to the street and the engine is cold, the fumes coming from the exhaust are very pungent and unpleasant.

After driving until the engine is fully warm, when I get out and walk around the car with the engine running, the exhaust seems to have much less odor. I have always attributed this to a warmed-up engine running more efficiently, as well as a fully warm exhaust system being better at handling emmissions.

At any rate, I can't let the car idle before moving the car, as the garage and tool rooms are heated and cooled and totally insulated, and we almost never have the doors open except fifteen seconds or so as we leave/arrive. Our drive is very level, as are the streets around here, so the careful warming of our Maxima while driving is the only sensible approach for us.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:08 AM

that's one long driveway!

That also makes sense since when a car goes for emissions it states to have the car driven for at least 15-20 minutes before taking it there.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
after having only driven the 300 feet down the driveway from the garage to the street and the engine is cold
300 feet??????
Old 02-26-2008, 01:42 PM

My driveway is shorter than my surrounding neighbors. My home sits near the front of our seven acre lot (zoning minimum here is five acres). But my neighbor to the north has 28 acres (and several horses) and my neighbor to the west has 134 acres (and over a hundred head of cattle). I'm the poor man in a rich area. For city dwellers who may ask, an acre is 43,560 square feet.

Depending on location, view, etc, land around here (easy commuting distance from Atlanta) sells for from $15K an acre for larger lots to over $100K an acre for one acre homesites, but because of zoning restrictions, my lot can't be split. So I alternate between glancing at my '00 SE and '04 SL (can't wash them; water restrictions) and toiling endlessly to maintain our property. Living on a farm is not the idyllic life some would lead you to believe. Having trucks, mowers, chain saws, gas fueled trimmers, gas fueled edgers, etc (which need constant maintenance) is mandatory. I could use a few extra hands that are good with a post hole digger this month . . .

We will eventually move to a home in a rural subdivision where the lots are one or two acres, and the land is left wooded (no lawn; no hours of mowing, etc). Then it will truly be Maxima time!

Well, time to return to surfing the web, seeking spy shots of the 7th gen Maxima.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I live in Canada and weather conditions up here in the winter is horrible, I usually let it warm up for about 15mins and starts idling at 600rpm's
Old 02-26-2008, 04:52 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

My driveway is shorter than my surrounding neighbors. My home sits near the front of our seven acre lot (zoning minimum here is five acres). But my neighbor to the north has 28 acres (and several horses) and my neighbor to the west has 134 acres (and over a hundred head of cattle). I'm the poor man in a rich area. For city dwellers who may ask, an acre is 43,560 square feet.

Depending on location, view, etc, land around here (easy commuting distance from Atlanta) sells for from $15K an acre for larger lots to over $100K an acre for one acre homesites, but because of zoning restrictions, my lot can't be split. So I alternate between glancing at my '00 SE and '04 SL (can't wash them; water restrictions) and toiling endlessly to maintain our property. Living on a farm is not the idyllic life some would lead you to believe. Having trucks, mowers, chain saws, gas fueled trimmers, gas fueled edgers, etc (which need constant maintenance) is mandatory. I could use a few extra hands that are good with a post hole digger this month . . .

We will eventually move to a home in a rural subdivision where the lots are one or two acres, and the land is left wooded (no lawn; no hours of mowing, etc). Then it will truly be Maxima time!

Well, time to return to surfing the web, seeking spy shots of the 7th gen Maxima.
Bless you... I'm a bit younger and I don't want to take care of 1/2 acre anymore... makes me wish I had the 60'x100' lot in NJ again, lol. Then I might have time to mod the Max.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:40 AM

I'd really like to see a neutral evaluation regarding warm up procedures. I always consider bias when someone gives an opinion. I dont trust Nissan's recommendations. For example, Nissan recommends oil changes at 7500 miles and I dont know anyone who would wait that long to change the oil. Nissan also recommends tire pressure of 32 pounds. I would never run mine under 38 psi. Im not sure I trust the EPA either. The EPA looks good when there is less pollution, so of course they are going to recommend no idling.

My gut tells me that a short idle period is a good balance of allowing unlike metals, gaskets, fluids and such to get flowing and start to warm up. By short idle period, I mean a minute, maybe 2 in 40 degree temps or more and maybe 3-4 for sub freezing temps. I think this would provide a good balance of all relevant factors. I also believe that driving under 3,000 rpms is important until the car is fully warmed up.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:17 AM
SuPeRmOd

I change my oil at 7500. Just because that's the most "conservative Nissan" accepts. Once warranty is up my Mobil1 will go 10k.

Plenty of UOAs support synthetic can go way beyond the 3k mark. And many people use OCIs of 5k, 10k etc.

IF there was a conspiracy for Nissan or others to give bad advice on maintaining your car (either to make money on service, or have it die quicker so you re-buy): 1 they run a huge risk of being disproven by 20/20, or anyone else destroying their name, 2 have no guarantee you will seek their privately owed, non-affiliated, Nissan named dealers for service, and 3 know you will likely change brands if your car does not perform as expected.

Though their conservative view on 3750 and 7500 OCIs are based on older oils and roughest driving conditions, I trust they have their products' performance in their best interest. So I followed the manuals break-in procedure (though I went extra conservative and switched the OEM oil out at 1k) and will follow the 1 min idle suggestion when cold.

Warming up uniformly and saving gas money makes more sense to me than a few components getting hot while others remain cold. 5W-30 oil is designed to run warm and cold. No reason to "warm the oil so it flows."
I have yet to meet a single mechanic that will tell you to idle a car to warm it.

Last edited by NismoMax80; 02-27-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 PM

Because of this thread...I've stopped idling pointlessly

Just let it warm for a minute or two and then drive it under 2,500 rpmz
Old 02-27-2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Interesting article here with comments at the end:

http://www.terrapass.com/blog/posts/conservation-ti-2
If you ask me, the EPA could give a **** what damage is done to your idling motor. EPA..Enivronmental Protection Agency is concerned with your vehicle polluting the air, hence they ask that you dont idle too long. Im a supervisor at a private sanitation co. and they told us that we cant idle out trucks for more than 3 minutes or else we get a fine.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 PM

question for anyone

when turning on the ignition to first position.. four beeps are heard in the max.... I was once told my a mechanic that this is the time for the fuel pump (and other electronics).. to turn on/work properly/ warm up (this was on another car) ....

anyone knows why, ......most cars do this -- i.e. four beeps..and it is abt 5 secs
Old 02-28-2008, 01:29 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by tubells
question for anyone

when turning on the ignition to first position.. four beeps are heard in the max.... I was once told my a mechanic that this is the time for the fuel pump (and other electronics).. to turn on/work properly/ warm up (this was on another car) ....

anyone knows why, ......most cars do this -- i.e. four beeps..and it is abt 5 secs
Primes the fuel pump and pressurizes the fuel lines.

Kamski
Old 02-28-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by S_Klass
Modern cars do not need to idle and warm up to operate effectively beyond just 10 to 15 seconds. If you fear your cold climate, go with 5-30 or 0-30 weight oils so they will be less viscous during the cold and lubricate the engine sooner.

Idling for five minutes a day in a small car will burn over 8 gallons of gas a year and release 88 kilograms of carbon dioxide. The 3.5 liter VQ will probably burn/produce twice that.

Catalytic converters do work best when warmed up but warm up best by being driven!

Idling for more than 10 seconds releases more greenhouse gases than cutting the motor and starting again. Idling for more than 45 seconds (at a train crossing for example) wastes more fuel and causes more engine wear than cutting the motor and starting again.
We had a 04 745LI BMW & we had got it when it first came out so they had these little classes to learn about all the features on the car since they were a lot.. (8 cpu's n crap) so anyway.. they stated that if you let the car "warmup" by starting it and leaving it to "idle" it'll mess up the engine.. they stated the oil level is at a high level or something like that and if you let it idle it wouldnt have anywhere to go.. i gotta o8 max now n the mornings in queens are freezin.. 20 degreez so i let the rpm at least drop to 1 b4 i start going.. takes about 1-2 mins.. sometimes when the car is just started.. rpm is at 2 or 1.5 - 2 so i definately want it to drop. i aint tryna burst my engine! !
Old 02-29-2008, 01:26 AM

tubells and kamilkluczewski - The four beeps we hear during the first five seconds after we turn on the ignition are not telling us the fuel pump is primed and the lines are pressurized; they are reminding us to buckle our seatbelt. If you don't believe it, have the seat belt ready, then turn on the ignition and immediately buckle your belt. The instant you buckle your belt, the beeping stops.

This has been true of several generations of Maximas, as well as my wife's trucks.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:36 PM

After a few mornings where it dips below minus 30*C, I usually let the car warm for 5-10 minutes. Having your *** nearly frozen to the seat is not the most pleasant feeling in the early morning hours.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:49 AM

lol aus maxima = no temp gauge, i give it like 30 seconds mabey a minute then drive off
also it rearly gets under 15 degrese celcius (sp) here
Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm from Philly, so the weather varies but I always let the needle go under 1 then I would pull off and just drive.

Last edited by yatti; 03-04-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:53 AM

about 10-15 min
Old 03-05-2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I'd really like to see a neutral evaluation regarding warm up procedures. I always consider bias when someone gives an opinion. I dont trust Nissan's recommendations. For example, Nissan recommends oil changes at 7500 miles and I dont know anyone who would wait that long to change the oil. Nissan also recommends tire pressure of 32 pounds. I would never run mine under 38 psi. Im not sure I trust the EPA either. The EPA looks good when there is less pollution, so of course they are going to recommend no idling.
BMW use to say their Trans Fluid was lifetime, needed no change. After more then a few owners had fluid related failures they now recommend changing it at 90k,
Old 03-05-2008, 09:01 PM

tubells and kamilkluczewski - The four beeps we hear during the first five seconds after we turn on the ignition are not telling us the fuel pump is primed and the lines are pressurized; they are reminding us to buckle our seatbelt. If you don't believe it, have the seat belt ready, then turn on the ignition and immediately buckle your belt. The instant you buckle your belt, the beeping stops.

This has been true of several generations of Maximas, as well as my wife's trucks.

loh... will try that tomorrow..... altho i am sure i buckle myself in before putting in the key!!...

also... i have tried this.... put the key in and turned to first step... then gone near the rear of the car (close to the fuel door) ...and i could hear sounds of the fuel pump .. (what am i hearing here? <-- i know this is tempting for a sillly answer..but pls. and thks.)
Old 03-06-2008, 01:57 PM

I leave him warming up about 10 minutes.

I run out in the morning after a shower and turn him on then run back inside and leave him running while I get ready for work. If it's cold out I leave the heat on full blast.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:29 PM

tubells and kamilkluczewski - The four beeps we hear during the first five seconds after we turn on the ignition .... they are reminding us to buckle our seatbelt.
LoH.. you're right as usual... tried it this evening ...had my buckle in before turning the key... and no beeps!!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Where is my shirt?

AN ANSWER TO HELP US!!! YAY YAY!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 06:19 PM

I am curious to know the average mpg of people who warm their cars for more than 10 mins every morning. While idling, the car gets 0 mpg.

Given the sky high price of gas, I certainly feel proud that I own a car also owned by a number of so rich people
Old 03-10-2008, 06:24 PM

hahaha ^^^^^ anyway i know all of you guys are worried ab8 your engine not reaching proper temps but what ab8 the tranny?? trannies fail on cars more than engines do. and my mechanic told me that it is really bad to drive a car when its cold and not at operating temps. i still think its a good idea to warm up your car especially owners like me who has more than 1ook of miles on their cars.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:47 PM

i warm mine for about 10 - 15 minutes, i auto-start it before i go for a shower and then enjoy the nice warmth =)
Old 03-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

LOL ^^^
I do something similar. I have my car connected with my alarm clock via wireless connection. As soon as the alarm clock goes off at 6:30 am my car turns on automatically.... by the time I leave the house at 8 am it is also nice and warm

Quick Reply: How long do you let your car warm up in the morning?