6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Quietest Muffler Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:46 AM

Quietest Muffler Options

So what are my options if I want to put some quiet mufflers on? I don't want to put the stock ones back on that restrict my Cattman exhaust. I think the Cattman ones are too small and even with 2 resonators make a lot of noise in my cabin. My exhaust shop was telling me to find some dual chamber mufflers. I'd like some stainless ones preferably. I'm also wondering what is the biggest length/width that'll fit in those spaces...
Old 01-25-2008, 06:05 AM

Right now I'm looking at some Edelbrock SDT (Model 55750). Sounds like they're going to do the best job. Only problem is they're 2.5 inch inlet and single outlet.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:11 AM

if it is the loudness that badders you, why dont you put the original resonator back? and asfar as mufflers have you look the HKS universal mufflers w/ silencers thats what i have and the sound is awsome.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by MD 06 MAX
if it is the loudness that badders you, why dont you put the original resonator back? and asfar as mufflers have you look the HKS universal mufflers w/ silencers thats what i have and the sound is awsome.
What model? Pictures please
Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hilbe
So what are my options if I want to put some quiet mufflers on? I don't want to put the stock ones back on that restrict my Cattman exhaust. I think the Cattman ones are too small and even with 2 resonators make a lot of noise in my cabin. My exhaust shop was telling me to find some dual chamber mufflers. I'd like some stainless ones preferably. I'm also wondering what is the biggest length/width that'll fit in those spaces...
Trust me, its not the mufflers that are causing the restriction at this point, it is your headers...dyno proven.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by coitaltie
Trust me, its not the mufflers that are causing the restriction at this point, it is your headers...dyno proven.
I've got a fairly high flow exhaust, I just don't want to put a huge restriction in at this point. My goal is quiet with good flow.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 AM
MAXXED OUT Member!

Video Or audio clip of HKS exhaust

Do you have a video or audio clip of the mufflers that you have? I was wanting to change the exhaust on my wifes '04 but she does not want the sound to transfer to the cabin area. I have looked at many vid's on you-tube and liked the sound of one hks setup but would like to know just how much louder the exhaust will make the interior.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:39 AM

If you want to quiet it down some more. I would look into Tanbe and see if the have some univeral mufflers. I had thier systems on my 350z sounded great and was quiet till I got on it. Also had it on my EVO 8 430hp and car was no loud at all. Of course it was louder than stock but was not by any means obnoxious. Sounded great also. They gear they systems on being DB legal most of their stuff is 95 DB or below.I was accually hopping they would come out with I system for us but I don't think so.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by anm6
If you want to quiet it down some more. I would look into Tanbe and see if the have some univeral mufflers. I had thier systems on my 350z sounded great and was quiet till I got on it. Also had it on my EVO 8 430hp and car was no loud at all. Of course it was louder than stock but was not by any means obnoxious. Sounded great also. They gear they systems on being DB legal most of their stuff is 95 DB or below.I was accually hopping they would come out with I system for us but I don't think so.
Doubt they have something that would look/sound good on our cars. They're mostly EVO stuff...
Old 01-25-2008, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by wildman04
Do you have a video or audio clip of the mufflers that you have? I was wanting to change the exhaust on my wifes '04 but she does not want the sound to transfer to the cabin area. I have looked at many vid's on you-tube and liked the sound of one hks setup but would like to know just how much louder the exhaust will make the interior.
If my wife were a sleeping on the couch kind of wife, I'd be there. She won't drive the Maxima anymore...not that its a bad thing...but she's not happy with the cabin noise.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:00 AM

Doubt they have something that would look/sound good on our cars. They're mostly EVO stuff...
Not true I lot of there stuff is for NA 3.5DE, the system for the 350z is fantastic, they also have systems for the G35 sedan. And the lexus IS series cars.I saying just take a look you might be surprised. they have sound clips of almost all of there systems on cars on their web page
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/. I still ahve not made my mind up on exhaust I got a quote for a true dual system but I have not choosen mufflers if I wanna go that route? I may wait and see if they release a system for us and just get the headers for now.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 AM

Not true I lot of there stuff is for NA 3.5DE, the system for the 350z is fantastic, they also have systems for the G35 sedan. And the lexus IS series cars.I saying just take a look you might be surprised. they have sound clips of almost all of there systems on cars on their web page
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/. I still ahve not made my mind up on exhaust I got a quote for a true dual system but I have not choosen mufflers if I wanna go that route? I may wait and see if they release a system for us and just get the headers for now.
Can you link me to a specific one that'll fit? The universals don't look like they'll be as good as the Medalion Touring.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:27 AM

If my wife were a sleeping on the couch kind of wife, I'd be there. She won't drive the Maxima anymore...not that its a bad thing...but she's not happy with the cabin noise.
if you already have headers and dont want the car to be loud put back the original resonator and go with the HKS mufflers. it wont be loud but the car would sound nice. when i first install the headers i install the HKS mufflers aswell but kept the original resonator, it was quiet but it sounded good and if you want a little noice when you are by yourself just remove the silencers.

personally i like to hear the exhoust sound and i wasnt getting that with that setup so i went and remove the original resonator change it with a 12" universal and believe me it is loud with out the silencers but with the silencers on it is an enjoyalble sound.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:29 AM

Yea the only universal they make is the tuner , http://www.tanabe-usa.com/exhausts/tunermedalion.asp. I just called them and spoke to a sales guy he said the to pick the Hyper style muffler, only thing is he could not say if it would be loud or not of course they real don't know unless they have hear it cause as we know each car is differnt. It did stay it was a strait thriugh design muffler and is diffent than the made systems cause the mufflers are designed for the specific car. So again we are stuck unless someone has first hand experience with it we just don't know.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:30 AM

if you already have headers and dont want the car to be loud put back the original resonator and go with the HKS mufflers. it wont be loud but the car would sound nice. when i first install the headers i install the HKS mufflers aswell but kept the original resonator, it was quiet but it sounded good and if you want a little noice when you are by yourself just remove the silencers.

personally i like to hear the exhoust sound and i wasnt getting that with that setup so i went and remove the original resonator change it with a 12" universal and believe me it is loud with out the silencers but with the silencers on it is an enjoyalble sound.

here is the link fot the mufflers

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=2143
Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by wildman04
i dont have and audio or video clip at the moment but i will get one for you with and with out silencers.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:37 AM

I just double checked the website and saw that the hyper is the only one that dosnt come with a silincer so its probally the quitest one. Just FYI and they are only 190 each. The HKS ones are 300 each..
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 AM

I just double checked the website and saw that the hyper is the only one that dosnt come with a silincer so its probally the quitest one. Just FYI and they are only 190 each. The HKS ones are 300 each..

yes, around 300 and thats without the silencers.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:56 AM

I don't know if I like the look of those HKS bazooka looking things...
Old 01-25-2008, 09:06 AM

How about the Medalion Hyper

For those who wish to create their own custom Tanabe exhaust system, the universal TUNER MEDALION is now offered. Featuring inlet sizes ranging from 60-80mm, Tuner Medalion is perfect for any custom NA or Turbo exhaust application.
Ideal for fabrication of a full catback, simple axle-back exhaust systems, or for vehicles that do not readily have a catback exhaust system available for them.
Tuner Medalion is availabing is RACING or HYPER trim. Tuner Medalion Racing is a rebuildable unit that comes with a removable inner silencer.
For the best custom exhaust system.
Now with ADVANTEX performance exhaust technology!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:52 AM
dot dot dot ...

Stay stock.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Stay stock.
Not an option. I have the Cattman mufflers right now and they're loud as mentioned.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 AM
大陆弟弟

Why not just buy a BIGGER resonator? Like one from magnaflow?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by n3985
Why not just buy a BIGGER resonator? Like one from magnaflow?
I have the 22 inch 4 inch round Magnaflow one on there plus an additional 14 inch "ultra quiet" vibrant performance resonator right now. I assure you its NOT the resonator(s).
Old 01-25-2008, 10:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

Not an option. I have the Cattman mufflers right now and they're loud as mentioned.
Explain to me how it’s not an option.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:33 AM

Explain to me how it’s not an option.
I don't have the OEM mufflers and the piping is all a different size. So I'd have to buy back some OEM mufflers (no thanks) and get some sort of sizer / adapter pipes to jump it up to 2.25 inches.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 AM
dot dot dot ...

I don't have the OEM mufflers and the piping is all a different size. So I'd have to buy back some OEM mufflers (no thanks) and get some sort of sizer / adapter pipes to jump it up to 2.25 inches.
Can’t be worse than what I’ve done. See here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...5&postcount=17

I also went from a 2.5” cat back, to my stock 2.xx (less than 2.5” I’m sure). Also, the stock 5.5 gen catback can support up to 250fwhp(far more restrictive than your stock unit I’m guessing), so unless you’re there, (I highly doubt that), you’re doing fine, unless all you want is sound
Old 01-25-2008, 11:03 AM

I also went from a 2.5” cat back, to my stock 2.xx (less than 2.5” I’m sure). Also, the stock 5.5 gen catback can support up to 250fwhp(far more restrictive than your stock unit I’m guessing), so unless you’re there, (I highly doubt that), you’re doing fine, unless all you want is sound
Cool. I am seriously considering the Edelbrock 55750, but its a 2.5 inch inlet. I'll need to step up from the 2.25 on the Cattman. I'll also need to put some tips on...
Old 01-25-2008, 11:09 AM
dot dot dot ...

. . . .
Old 01-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Learning English...

I see that you have headers and if remember corectly - you're A/T, right? So i'm curious if you have the same "droning" sound around 2000-3000rpm like most of the 5/5.5th geners w/ headers on their A/T cars...?

I'm interested in some quiet mufflers too, but i'm scared that my wife would kill me if i replace the stock ones :I Maybe i should make just a slight upgrade to the stock resonator like someone already mentioned...
Old 01-25-2008, 01:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by brio_max
I see that you have headers and if remember corectly - you're A/T, right? So i'm curious if you have the same "droning" sound around 2000-3000rpm like most of the 5/5.5th geners w/ headers on their A/T cars...?

I'm interested in some quiet mufflers too, but i'm scared that my wife would kill me if i replace the stock ones :I Maybe i should make just a slight upgrade to the stock resonator like someone already mentioned...
No droning, can't even hear it.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:49 PM

I have droning around 2300 to 2500 rpms. Would be nice to get that fixed. Seem to think its my mufflers. What do the 5/5.5th geners do?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Like I said, no drone here.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Learning English...

I have droning around 2300 to 2500 rpms. Would be nice to get that fixed. Seem to think its my mufflers. What do the 5/5.5th geners do?
I had droning vibration on my 5th gen after i instaled an aftermarket exhaust from headers to muffler incl. the cat... My Max was 4A/T. At that time i saw few threads regarding that problem. I remember that some members said it was because of the flex section or so..., some not . Others with M/T's did not have that issue, which was quite unbelievable. After more than a year, i sold the 5th Gen and have never found the truth.

Like I said, no drone here.
Lucky one
No vibration at all?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:55 PM
dot dot dot ...

I had droning vibration on my 5th gen after i instaled an aftermarket exhaust from headers to muffler incl. the cat... My Max was 4A/T. At that time i saw few threads regarding that problem. I remember that some members said it was because of the flex section or so..., some not . Others with M/T's did not have that issue, which was quite unbelievable. After more than a year, i sold the 5th Gen and have never found the truth.

Lucky one
No vibration at all?
I had a b pipe clank, bought some hose clamps and it went away, but other than that, no vibrations.