6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6th Gen BOSE is ****e...anybody feel me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:52 AM

My skips and it's insanely annoying. I'll be looking into a mounting kit & new headunit shortly.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:42 AM

I have an 06 and live in northern Canada and -20C -30C (-4F -22F) and have never had my cd skip... knock on wood
Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 AM

Take it to the dealer and have them replace it I did it with mine at 28k and it seems to work great. Mine skipped even when it warmed up! Also try not to use those disc cleaners in your changer. They say the bristles on the brush come off and settle on the lense. PM if you have another issues after you get it fixed!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:03 PM
I piss on Civics.

CDs skip for me all the time. that's why i have my ipod. then again, that thing has been oddly acting up. the music seems to just stop sometimes. i can't tell if it's my pac adapter or the actual ipod. sometimes the music stops and the track time keeps increasing suggesting the ipod works. other times the track time stops with the ipod in play with no sound at all... let's all buy new cars. yeah right. give up my vq35de.. hell fkin no.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bermont
I have an 06 and live in northern Canada and -20C -30C (-4F -22F) and have never had my cd skip... knock on wood
Where do you live? I'm in Winnipeg.

Did you color match your grill?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Raiden
Dave, I don't have the skipping problem, but I do have a different compliant about my Bose system. Maybe since you have some experience as one of their engineers you can provide some light on this situation.

I purchased an 07 Maxima with the upgraded Bose system this past August. Immediately after picking it up, I noticed that there is a constant hissing noise emminating from all 8 speakers when the stereo is on and in any mode (CD, radio, satelite radio). It is a constant noise that does not variate with engine speed, etc. The noise is most noticeable if you toggle between mute and level 1 of the volume. It is a fairly low level noise, but is very distracting when listening to music that has quite or low areas in it. The noise kind of sounds like a "white noise" hiss. I have tried modifying every adjustment I can find- the balance, fade, bass, treble, speed sensitive settings- nothing helps. The noise is always constant and always there- from all eight speakers evenly. I have taken it to two different dealers for a diagnosis. Both concluded that it is normal for the system and let me sit in identical Maximas on the lot- indeed, they did have the same noise. Incidentally, one of them showed me a car with a base system that didn't have the noise. Needless to say, I am _very_ dissappointed in the performance of the system. IMO, any decent stereo should be nearly silent unless there is music playing. I'm sorry man, but this thing sounds terrible. I have also tried calling Nissan Costumer Care and Bose directly to try an remedy the problem- both avenues ended at dead ends as both companies say there is nothing they can do. Bose claims it is just the way system operates.

I have poked around different forums and found a few others with the same compliant and both service managers at the two different dealerships admitted to hearing it as well. So, I know its not just me.

I find it hard to believe that a company that supposedly prides themselves on quality audio produces a system that outputs such excess noise. I also can't believe that anyone who claims they are an "audiophile" approves of this system. Can you provide any light as to why this is occuring and what I could possibly do to remedy the noise?

Has anyone else heard of or experienced this problem with their factory installed Bose system?
Hi Raiden,

Sorry for not seeing your reply/question before now. I haven't noticed that noise on my system (yes, I chose the Bose option) except when I have my iPod connected to the Aux input and have the volume turned way up.

What you described sounds like either the amp is not muting during when there is no signal present or possibly a ground loop somewhere in the circuit. Some applications of the Bose amps have a self mute feature while others do not. Honestly, I can't recall what the Maxima amp has but I thought the 6.5 gen went to an amp with this feature.

Either way, I agree with you that this should not be part of an "audiophile" system. All I can speculate is that when Bose did the final system tuning, the head units in the cars they evaluated might have been slightly different than the units that came out later in the production cycle. This could be a slight drift in the tolerances of some of the electrical components - but still within the acceptable tolerance limits. And this could be in the head unit, the amp, or both. It's tough to say without having more detailed info (not from you but from the engineering teams both at Bose and Nissan).

I'm disappointed to learn that neither Nissan nor Bose could offer you any assistance on this matter. I can only speculate the reasons why this isn't being taken more seriously - that wasn't the case several years ago. I don't know if this is part of the Renault-Nissan element, or Bose, or what. I'm very sorry to hear about these responses. I can recall on the Infiniti M35/M45 system development that the Nissan engineers were incredibly strict about Bose keeping the noise levels of the amplifier cooling fan to the point that it was inaudible. I also recall the same engineers putting their ears right next to the door speaker and listening for any kind of a pop (or more precisely a "thump" noise) when the amp was triggered off and on. So I know there is concern within Nissan about these kinds of situations but I would hope this is not reserved only for Infiniti vehicles.

I will try to resurrect some of my former contacts and see if I can try to let some of the engineers know about this situation. Ultimately it's up to Bose and Nissan to determine if this issue is severe enough to warrant further investigation and action. Perhaps if both Bose and Nissan receive enough complaints, it will receive the attention it deserves.

And in case you or anyone else was wondering: I left Bose voluntarily because I was tired of freezing my butt off during those New England winters (it's so nice to come back to SoCal ).

I know this won't fix your problem, but I hope this information is of some use.

Dave
Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
BOSE system as whole sucks. Calling it Premium Audio is a misleading practice; there is absolutely nothing premium about it besides the price. It is too often people blame other supliers for low quality parts and it's plain wrong. The fact that Clarion, SONY or anybody else supplies ****ty product does not excuse BOSE for not properly evaluating supplied parts/components and/or suppliers.

When components are sold on OEM basis, the manufacturer of the final product assumes all reposponsibility. When a hard drive in a DELL computer fails, you don't see dell pointing fingers, they just supply a replacement.

I have a 2004 and both the headunit and the amp have been replaced. The headunit - when it was skipping and the amp when there would be no music in the winter until the car warmed up. If you blame clarion for the headunit who are you going to blame for the amp. If you still point fingers, then I ask; Is there anything bose about the system other then the label?????
Hi xoomer,

Maybe I didn't articulate the process clearly enough. This is definitely not a finger pointing issue, though you are free to interpret the facts any way you wish.

Bose does not purchase the head units for our cars and ship them to the factory along with the amps and speaker assemblies. They are supplied to Nissan directly by the head unit supplier. At the start of a new vehicle program, the Bose engineers, the Nissan engineers, and the head unit engineers come together and spec out the system requirements. Over the course of the vehicle development they will do bench tests and vehicle tests to ensure everything is working correctly. Bose will specify the amplifier audio requirements to the headunit supplier and in turn, the head unit supplier will do the opposite back to Bose. So, these system checks are supposed to sort out all of the potential problems and issues. Clearly, something got missed in Raiden's case.

Personally, I don't think it's fair to say Bose is 100% at fault for a CD player that skips when Bose had absolutely no say in the design of the player mechanism. Bose is not held responsible for the head unit functionality just as the head unit supplier is not held responsible for amp functionality issues (I hope that answers your question about the head unit and amp issue you had with your '04 - Bose owned the amp issue and supplied revised amps to fix that problem). I don't see that your comment about Bose not properly evaluating the performance or functionality of the head unit as being a valid argument. Bose did evaluate the areas they had control over. Items such as CD mechanism performance, FM signal reception, LCD display, etc...are the sole responsibility of the head unit supplier. I'm sorry if this comes off as finger pointing but in reality it isn't. You might counter with "It has the Bose name on it and so Bose must assume responsibility for anything with their name on it". To that I have no rebuttal. That is a marketing decision which has been, IMO, problematic as it causes this very issue to arise. If the Bose logo was not on the head unit, would you still make the same case as you did? Maybe yes, maybe no - but I'm betting on a "no" answer.

As for Raiden's issue, that is something that (once again, IMO) I think Bose and Nissan should be addressing. It appears that it's not an isolated issue especially if the dealer service technicians know about it.

The bottom line is this: I'm not trying to convince you that Bose is the be -all/end-all of "premium" car audio systems - that is for each person to decide for themselves. I just wanted to respond to your comments and offer a perspective from my experience during my time at Bose.

I hope I addressed your concerns and was able to clear up any confusion that may have come from my previous post.

Take care,

Dave
Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM

i don't know if i have a bose or not, i just got my car 2months ago and haven't really checked it out, but the speakers in the back doesn't say bose. And also it makes a rattling sound nowadays, which really bugs me. Some people say its the Bass that is about to be blown. Anybody know how much it is to get this fixed? Should i get it fixed with another stock or invest in a system
Old 03-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by jc822
i don't know if i have a bose or not, i just got my car 2months ago and haven't really checked it out, but the speakers in the back doesn't say bose. And also it makes a rattling sound nowadays, which really bugs me. Some people say its the Bass that is about to be blown. Anybody know how much it is to get this fixed? Should i get it fixed with another stock or invest in a system
The speakers would say Bose and the cassette deck cover would have a Bose Logo on it!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 12:55 PM

my 5th gen maxima never had a prob with anything w/the bose..but the 2k2 and my 2k4 both had probs. 2k2 skipped when cold and ssv would JUMP in volume suddenly sometimes..2k4 bose skips when cold RARELY left speakers cut out, and cd3 4 5 and sometimes 6 rarely play cds. so I have a 2cd changer. and ive blown 1 stock sub. :/ I am also an audiophile and the sound quality is great, theyve done very good in speaker placement and eq balancing but the front speakers seem to distort some after volume 20 or so. My bose sysrems never had distortion in them :/
Old 03-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am planing to add an amp to my stock HU. What will I need to make this happen? PAC AOEM-NIS2 or Trunk-LOC. Also if anyone has a audio wiring diagram can you post it.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:16 AM

my 06 has the same problem when the temp dips low. It either doesn't play or skips. but when it heats up, it will fine. My left speaker plays louder than my right. After reading this thread, it is a common problem, so i have to live with it....
Old 03-26-2008, 11:30 PM

Replace BOSE

When I first got my 07 Max, I thought Bose sounded pretty decent. However, once I put in the XM Receiver, It seemed like there was some degradation of sound quality, especially from the base side of the house.

A few things I needed to take into consideration though. #1 one of my very first mods I did to my max was throw on the Fujita CAI, and the Cattman Y-pipe back exhaust system. This DRASTICALLY increased noise inside the compartment, making the bluetooth system hard to talk on, music needing to be increased etc. #2 was that I wanted a CLEAN yet reasonably loud system, Bassy but i didn't want to give up trunk space with a big box nor did i want a system that would easily be heard from people on the outside of the car, and last I didn't want to have to replace the factory radio and lose functionality of the nice displays that already come stock with the car.

The first and most OBVIOIUS thing for me to do, was to Dynomat as much as possible. So I ordered 4 complete door kits, a trunk liner kit, and a floor and ceiling kit.

The second was more complicated... how to obtain the kind of sound i was looking for without getting crazy, and using the stock system. So I decided to go with a complete JL Audio system. I've had GREAT experience with JL in the past as the sound quality of their XR systems is amazing. How to integrate with the factory system though? That was key for me....

The solution? The CleanSweep CL441DSP which is used for OEM Audio Interface with Automatic Digital EQ. The nice thing about this unit, is that it integrates well enough so that you can continue to use all the same functionality (including the main volume control) on your stock audio receiver.

Speaker replacement wise.... I decided that for the fronts I was going to go with the ZR650-CSi Component System. It's JL's flagship top-o-the-line speaker with built in crossovers etc. And it comes with the replacement tweeters in the doors as well.

Rears I went with just a slight step down to the C5-650x Coaxial speakers.

Subs... well the best part about the maxima is that it already has stock rear deck shelves for the OEM subs. Granted, the stock amp, and subs don't exactly give me that "oomph" i'm looking for. Not to mention the factory holes are a bit small. What to do? Well I decided to go with 2 of the 8w3v3 - 8ohm subs to replace the OEM bose.

Last are the amps... from a previous installation I never got around to, I had a JL 450/4 amp brand new sitting in the box laying around. So That's what I'm using to drive the speakers. I also purchased a JL 250/1 monoblock sub. Again, I don't need a "MONSTER BASS" system... but the 250/1 Class D amp will surely be enough beef for what I need.

Hooking it all together with a standard 4 Gauge 2 Amp Kit. I plan to remove the factory amp located in the trunk underneath the liner, and mount both JL amps to the roof of the trunk as the stock was, and then replace the liner. I believe cooling should be sufficient, and extra venting won't be necessary. As i've said before I've had multiple JL Audio systems in the past, and I've never had any issues with overheating of the amps. JL Amps are just made tough! I'm all about the "Stealth-Mode" of my systems, in that I don't like them to be obviously seen anytime you open the trunk, or have someone in your car. When I had my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the rear seats would fold down... and you'd lift up the bottom portion of the seat and then fold the top down over it. I placed my JL amps directly underneath the hinged bottom portion of the seats. You never knew they were there, and you were still able to use full storage capacity.

I'm still waiting on my speakers and subs to arrive, but they should be here tomorrow. I go out of town on business next week, so I'm dropping my car off at my local audio installer shop and having them install the whole thing... dynomat amps, everything... will probably run aprox $600 in installation costs when it's all done... but i'm anticipating the sound quality will be amazing. I've never been dissappointed by JL before

-=USAF=- LT G
Old 06-25-2008, 12:15 AM

I just bought an 04 maxima, so far i'm happy with it.. but i did notice that when i put a cd in, the first few songs have skipping in it. But once i skip past them and then go back they play without the skipping.. i'm going to buy a cd cleaner and hopefully that will resolve the problem... As far as the sound quality, I don't have a problem with it, it sounds good to me, just not loud enough...
Old 06-25-2008, 07:11 AM

My dealership actually changed it for free...
Old 06-25-2008, 08:32 AM

I just bought the new Coldplay (you know how I know you're gay...just kidding)!

And when I first put it into my cd player in the Max it wouldn't read the disc. I thought it was just a bad disc so I returned it and bought another. It did it at first, but eventually played. However, it still does it if I go back to that disc.

This is the first cd I bought in I don't know how long. Mostly I just but from iTunes and burn a copy for the car.

Anyone else have this problem? Not sure if it's the way they manufacture cd's now, or if it's my deck. But this thread was started because I had trouble with my deck playing when it was cold. I have since had it replaced under warranty.

If it's the deck again, I am done with Bose.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:31 PM

Haven't noticed the skipping when it's cold. The only thing I have noticed when the temp is low is my display moves slower than normal, until the car heats up I guess.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by redls1
Glad I listen to xm radio more than cd"s.
damn right ... 202 the virus is an amazing channel...

btw same thing for me, cold weather it skips ... hot weather is fine no problems and i have 2 x 12inch subs kicking and it doesn't skip at all

and last thing, im my last car a 1998 cadillac sts, the boses sound system was way better than the 6th gen
Old 06-25-2008, 09:31 PM

I had a Bose issue in my new 2004 Maxima, the very day i drove it off the lot i put a cd in to play and the left channels were cutting in and out. I took it back in the next day and they fixed it for me. I asked them who they outsourced it to, and they told me Radio Medics, out of Rancho Cordova. Honestly, I would rather have my Bose head unit repaired rather than replaced by Nissan, judging by others experiences, it sounds like some are getting the old stock head units instead of the modified ones and end up with the same issue over again.

Nevertheless I'm glad my Bose audio issue is fixed!
I'm not sure what they charge but if your mailing the head unit in or whatever I'm sure they should be pretty reasonable.

http://www.radiomedics.com

They pulled mine out at the dealership fixed and repaired it within one day.
Now i can move on to figuring out my next mods (o:
Old 06-25-2008, 09:58 PM

never had a problem... i got an extra 6 disc changer in my house somewhere if u want
Old 06-30-2008, 03:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My Bose Audio System will do this only when its cold.. only does it if I leave discs in overnight (on a cold night), so I think its condensation...
Old 06-30-2008, 11:56 AM

i think if yo u go to the dealere you should have it fixed for free if you are in the warrantee stage. I did it to mine at 20 k miles and it works great now i am not having any problems
Old 06-30-2008, 07:01 PM

I love the Bose personally, however I'm sure to a music/ audio enthusiast it may not hit home......?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

luckily i havent had any problems with mine yet....then again i havent had it very long. It does seem like some of my cds that sounded good on my previous car with a bose system (RSX Type-S) now sound worse in the maxima
Old 07-02-2008, 03:10 PM

If you have a problem or problems with the bose deck (I know I did) and you have an Ipod. Might as well use that ancient technology sitting right under the cd player -----> tape deck. Get a cassette adaptor and bam no mo problems....
Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

luckily i took out mine before mine went out.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BigPete
hey now! only problems Ive had so far all seem to be common with our cars other then the sensor issue I had (which is fixed)

Shimmy, Sensors, Bose. Thats about it.
What about your suspension?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:50 AM

The Bose on my '08 doesn't skip, but the sound sucks. Worse than the Bose in my '04 Tahoe, which I thought was impossible to attain.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:03 PM

Does your BOSE sound AWFUL? I can barely histen to mine. i cant figure out if the radio sucks or if all speakers are blown. Its ear numbingly bad. I bought the 05 w/ 17k from a 70 year old guy.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:40 PM

Yeah the Bose system in my new 04 maxima doesn't sound as good as the Bose did in my 95 maxima. I already had the issue with the audio cutting out on the left channels... got that fixed and now, no more issues, but it just doesnt have very good high's, or any deep lows, but the old maxima didn't have good low's either, but i love a nice balanced system.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:54 AM

this is a noob question but i am a noob to maximas, just got my 08 maxima like 2 months ago. but does the 08 come with a bose system or infiniti(i think thats how its spelled). my head unit doesnt say the branned name and niether do the speakers. but they do have NDSS on the back speaker covers?
Old 09-18-2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_saloon
this is a noob question but i am a noob to maximas, just got my 08 maxima like 2 months ago. but does the 08 come with a bose system or infiniti(i think thats how its spelled). my head unit doesnt say the branned name and niether do the speakers. but they do have NDSS on the back speaker covers?
If it's a Bose system, the back speaker covers will say "BOSE". Of course, you could always look at the window sticker and see if it says Bose as well.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_saloon
If the head unit or speaker covers don't say bose then' its just the stock non-Bose system. They will want to promote their name on it anytime they can if it is a Bose system you will see their logo's.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by overseaz
If the head unit or speaker covers don't say bose then' its just the stock non-Bose system. They will want to promote their name on it anytime they can if it is a Bose system you will see their logo's.
oh ok cuz alot of ppl say that i have a stock bose and it looks like the stock bose system. heres a pic of the head unit

Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 AM

No highs, no lows.........................must be Bose.

Aftermarket all the FTW.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

does anyone have any pics for Removing Rear Deck Speakers

I have a 06 and have been slowing doing the audio in the car. I was wondering if anyone had a site or pics on removing the Bose subs from the rear deck???
thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 07:03 AM

i gotta tell ya, with my 07.. i love my Bose... it sounds amazing...
Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 PM

Yeah this unit is a POS. My 04 is experiencing (has been for some time) the fading in and out, not wanting to produce sound from CDs and the subwoofers have already blown. Was pointed out to dealer under warranty and they refused to fix. ..still in talks with Corporate..my dealer refused to do a lot of warranty work on my vehicle under 3/36,000..
Old 10-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My passenger side woofer and tweeter cuts out. What's the deal with that. Oh yeah , mine skips when the car is cold too! Glad it ain't just me man.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:27 AM

I have botha 95 and an '04 and I have to say that Bose universaly SUCKS. The highs are trash, midrange is distored and the speakers are made from recycled newspaper. I'm just blown away by how anyone can possibly think it sounds good.

The first thing I do whenever I get a new Max is move that Bose junk to where it belongs - in the garbage. Aftermarket speakers made from quality manufacturers blow bose right out of the ballpark. There is no question about it, Bose = FAIL. Period.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen BOSE is ****e...anybody feel me?