6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Have you had any trans issues?
2004 Auto tran problems
24.56%
2005 Auto tran problems
13.17%
2006 Auto tran problems
5.69%
2004 Auto tran replaced
2.67%
2005 Auto tran replaced
1.60%
2006 Auto tran replaced
2.14%
No transmission problems yet.
50.18%
Voters: 562. You may not vote on this poll

6th Gens and Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

6th Gens and Transmission problems

Well the Silver Stream is down for the count. Diagnosis: failed transmission.

That's the bad news. The good news is I've got 56,800 miles on it and it will be replaced under warranty.

I noticed one day that it didn't seem to drop down into 2nd gear and take off like it used to. It was just stay in 3rd and go from there. Kinda weird but then again I thought it could all be in my head. Then a couple of weeks ago driving home from a wedding reception I got on the highway, accelerating normally and the trans just SLAMMED from 3rd to 4th. I though I ran over a fire hydrant The car ran fine the rest of the night but threw a check engine light. Autozone pulled it "P0744 TQ Converter circuit intermittent".

Took it into the shop today and they said the whole tranny will be replaced under warranty.

Last edited by Apollos2; 11-28-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 AM

just hearing stories worry me but hopefully if this would happen to me it will be under warranty
Old 11-28-2007, 02:58 AM
GrandPa

Thats great that is was replaced with no cost. Thank god 84,000 plus miles and no problems.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:36 AM

Well it's a big thanks to the Maxima.org as I started reading about the tranny problem here first. Funny thing, the Nissan tech said we called in the problem to the next level of Nissan support they just told him straight up "Replace it". I think they might know something is going on.

I just noticed I didn't add a poll for the 07 Maximas. Could there be 07s having trouble already?

Last edited by Apollos2; 11-28-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:05 AM

I had problems with mine. 05 with 33k miles on it. Same thing, replaced it with a new one.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:20 AM

You did not provide an option for 6-speed manual trannie owners to reply. I have 66 K miles on my Max. I changed my OEM trannie fluid at about 30 K miles and went to synthetic. No trannie problems. Don't expect any.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:28 AM

The stealership try to fight you on the warranty? Since you've got a lot of mods on your car?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
You did not provide an option for 6-speed manual trannie owners to reply...... No trannie problems. Don't expect any.
Thats why I didn't include one. Rare 6speeds and never heard of any problems on those. Hope it stays that way.

Originally Posted by Hilbe
The stealership try to fight you on the warranty? Since you've got a lot of mods on your car?

Suprisingly they didn't. I know a couple of the techs and they were able to look past my mods. None of them really have anything to do with the transmission anyway. I may look into getting a tranny cooler installed once the new one is in. It was even brought up that I take it to the track...and they are still replacing it. It's a great Christmas blessing to get this done for free just before my 60kmiles hit.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You did not provide an option for 6-speed manual trannie owners to reply. I have 66 K miles on my Max. I changed my OEM trannie fluid at about 30 K miles and went to synthetic. No trannie problems. Don't expect any.
Sorry to highjack the auto tranny issues thread for manuals, but I've gotta ask if you were having any problems with the manual tranny before you replaced the fluid?

I have an '06 SE 6mt that I bought about 2 months ago, and now that it's turned cold, and when the car is cold the tranny just doesn't want to go into 2nd gear. It's stiff to go into 2nd when it's just sitting, and if it's rolling it's making horrible grinding noises.

Have an appointment to take it in in a few days. Just wondering if you were having any issues that drove you to synthetic.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by Maikeru; 11-28-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:15 PM

I did not have the problems you mention -- either before or after switching to synthetic.

I went to synthetic because of a couple of threads in the Fluids and Lubes section of this site. Since changing, the shifting became easier and not as notchy.

I notice when the car has been sitting outside (normally in a garage) and the temp gets down around zero (F), that the shifting is much stiffer until the trannie has a chance to warm up. This was somewhat improved with synthetic, but it still remains a minor problem.

I expect to change the fluid again when I get closer to 90 K miles (30 on the OEM and 60 on the synthetic).
Old 11-28-2007, 08:31 PM

I hear of a lot of manual tranny problems with the clutch pedal dropping to the floor. Not really tranny issues though I guess thats clutch master but...

anyway, 04 with a bad tranny it's outa warranty so I've just been driving it, gone 20k with it only getting slightly worse

slips shifting into 3rd and 4th after being on the highway mostly but it'll do it whenever it wants
Old 11-29-2007, 04:09 PM

I have an 04 6MT and mine is a little hard to put into 1st on cold days only til it warms up though. and i have the whining sound while rolling too . .
Old 11-30-2007, 03:45 PM

I'll do a search but does anyone know if the new trannys that Nissan is putting in are the same exact as the trans that failed or have they found a flaw and fixed it for the replacements?

Okay looks like I have somewhat of an answer:

Originally Posted by Majestic_MAx05
Its a new trany. I had the same question for the stealership as well. I didnt want it going out on me in another 30k miles. He said they have fixed the problem that they came out with and should be fine. But only time will tell.

I took it in to a friends shop to make sure it was a new trany.
I wonder what that "problem" was?

Last edited by Apollos2; 11-30-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:30 PM

im having a tranny problem now on my 05... i hope they dont complain about my mods. last time when i had a FUSE and my lights didnt work they said they cant fix it because i have too much mods that messed with the ecu. all i had was satellite radio and safc2...
Old 12-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Look-at-my-MAX
im having a tranny problem now on my 05... i hope they dont complain about my mods. last time when i had a FUSE and my lights didnt work they said they cant fix it because i have too much mods that messed with the ecu. all i had was satellite radio and safc2...
How many miles do you have on it?
Old 12-03-2007, 12:29 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

which warranty do u have apollo? i guess there is 3 differnt types... i think i have basic... if i have trans probs will they cover them.. im at 46k miles.. no probs yet... but.. ?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:17 AM

hello there, I am not sure what to do, yesterday I drove my wife's car, max SE 06 auto trans, and I moved the shifter to manuar shift just to have some fun, the problem is the manual shift does not work, I can drive the car normally but the manual shift do not respond, I checked in the manual of the car and it says when you move the stick to the manual shift you can see at the gauge in what gear you are driving, in my case the gauge does not show you in what gear the transmition is, it only displays "D".

Am I missing something in order to make the manual shift work???
Any comment will be appreciate it.
Thanks.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:14 AM

another reason why you should have bought stick.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fastmax05
which warranty do u have apollo? i guess there is 3 differnt types... i think i have basic... if i have trans probs will they cover them.. im at 46k miles.. no probs yet... but.. ?

I've the basic 5yr 60k on it.

Originally Posted by farzin1

Because they never have problems
Old 12-08-2007, 12:05 PM

I have a 04 auto with 91k on it and i just wanted to know if this was normal to you guys. When I leave and the temp is on C for cold the transmission jumps from 1st to 2nd, is that normal b/c the fluid or tranny is cold?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:46 PM

I just had a leaky gasket replaced on my '04 SE auto with 57k miles on it. I'd recommend everyone check theirs, I was able to without jacking it up. I just stuck my head under the front of the Maxima and saw a wet spot on my transmission. See below pick of what I saw with my face just below the grill.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by farzin1
You two cents were incredibly helpful. What a waste of bandwidth!

I have heard of engines breathing in some type of cat.....I'll try and find it for you.

Swee
Old 12-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

2004 - AT - 39k miles. No probs yet (knock on wood).
Old 12-10-2007, 01:18 PM

04 tranny question

does any one have a problem with their tranny when shifting from reverse to drive... after about 20 min or so... or when im ready to park i get this big jump only after the car has been running for a while...

I put slick 50 in cause i have 98740 k miles on the tranny and its doing it now, but not as much... recommend any trans fluid over the oem
Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have and 06 SE and it slammed into a gear and threw a PO717 code. Input/ Turbine or something. It drove great after I shut it off and turned it back on. The light was on but it shifted like it never had. I have complained about the shifting before this. Any thoughts?????
Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 AM

Any CVT issues out there? 20k on mine and no problems. If anyone has a clue as to what type of fluid it uses that would be much appreciated. The service section of the manual was not very helpful at setting a finite mileage where it needs to be replaced, let alone the fluid spec. Thanks guys.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by QwikKota
Any CVT issues out there? 20k on mine and no problems. If anyone has a clue as to what type of fluid it uses that would be much appreciated. The service section of the manual was not very helpful at setting a finite mileage where it needs to be replaced, let alone the fluid spec. Thanks guys.
Just keep an eye on it for leaks. I have a Nissan Murano as well, which has had a CVT since its inception. The Murano forums are always buzzing with CVT leaks. I guess Nissan doesn't have any method to repair the CVTs either, so they usually just completely swap them out. You should just be able to check the CVT for leaks during an oil change, should look similar to my 5 speed automatic leak.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hilbe
Just keep an eye on it for leaks. I have a Nissan Murano as well, which has had a CVT since its inception. The Murano forums are always buzzing with CVT leaks. I guess Nissan doesn't have any method to repair the CVTs either, so they usually just completely swap them out. You should just be able to check the CVT for leaks during an oil change, should look similar to my 5 speed automatic leak.
Thanks for the info man. I need to get under there soon when my Amsoil shows up and I will give it a good look over and cleaning. Glad I got the extra warranty with a new style 1st year tranny.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Build #1
I have and 06 SE and it slammed into a gear and threw a PO717 code. Input/ Turbine or something. It drove great after I shut it off and turned it back on. The light was on but it shifted like it never had. I have complained about the shifting before this. Any thoughts?????
From my first post

Originally Posted by Apollos2
...............I got on the highway, accelerating normally and the trans just SLAMMED from 3rd to 4th. I though I ran over a fire hydrant The car ran fine the rest of the night but threw a check engine light. Autozone pulled it "P0744 TQ Converter circuit intermittent".

Took it into the shop today and they said the whole tranny will be replaced under warranty.
Check your tranny fluid see if it is red or burnt (black) and take it to the dealership.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:33 PM

When the CVT was first introduced, there was information about the fluid being very special -- able to handle very high temperatures without degrading. If the dealer doesn't know what this fluid is, I would try contacting Nissan to see if they can provide that information. I would not try using any other fluid in that trannie -- you can blow any warranty there is for the trannie by installing the wrong fluid. (And normal Nissan auto-trannie fluid is not the right stuff.)
Old 12-12-2007, 08:45 AM

Shifter just started clicking when slowing down. And third gear kicks when shifting into gear. Is this normal. Car has 41k on the clock.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:57 AM

When the CVT was first introduced, there was information about the fluid being very special -- able to handle very high temperatures without degrading. If the dealer doesn't know what this fluid is, I would try contacting Nissan to see if they can provide that information. I would not try using any other fluid in that trannie -- you can blow any warranty there is for the trannie by installing the wrong fluid. (And normal Nissan auto-trannie fluid is not the right stuff.)
Yep, I figured I'd have to return the fluid I have in the garage that was intended for the 96. Definitely going to use the right fluid but I'm hoping the factory stuff will last for 60k or so. Need to schedule and appointment with them to program a remote and look at some other areas so I will ask them at that point. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:00 AM

but I'm hoping the factory stuff will last for 60k or so. .
Given the very high heat that this fluid is exposed to in the CVT, I would not try pushing the fluid. Nissan needs to tell you when to change the fluid, and you should probably change at or before that point is reached.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:07 AM

Okay, just called the dealership today. They told me the new tranny would be in on the 14th. It actually arrived on the 6th I'm taking it in today.

Anyway, I don't want to take any chances with the new tranny because if it has issues, the next one will be on me

So I've considering transmissions coolers. I don't know anything about them and this is the first one I've found. It's from Stillen.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...N&model=MAXIMA

Comments and Opinions?

Last edited by Apollos2; 12-17-2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Incognito

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Okay, just called the stealership today. They told me the new tranny would be in on the 14th. It actually arrived on the 6th I'm taking it in today.

Anyway, I don't want to take any chances with the new tranny because if it has issues, the next one will be on me

So I've considering transmissions coolers. I don't know anything about them and this is the first one I've found. It's from Stillen.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...N&model=MAXIMA

Comments and Opinions?
My dodge truck had one factory. They work great and increase the life of a tranny. Fairly simple install just have to make sure you have room for it. Id say go for it.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:01 PM

The new CVT has two trannie coolers to handle the heat they kick off.

A single cooler is a good choice for the older auto trannie as well. Can't speak to how good this specific trannie cooler actually is in practice. Suggest you search the net for comments from others who have actually used this cooler.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:22 PM
1sexyleo

well most trannies already come with a stock cooler. i hooked mine up as an auxillary instead of removing it. it does twice the job as one. for autos it is a MUST. i got mines from autozone for $30.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:55 AM

Well, got the call from the dealership. The car is ready to roll! New tranny in and tested, hopefully I'll pick it up tonight. The tech told me the Stillen trans cooler won't work though. It's only for the 4speed automatics.

I checked the site again and saw this note:

Application Notes Description Part # Mfg # Price
2002 - 2007 MAXIMA 2.5L / 3.5L - (Except 05-06 w/Heat Sink Type Cooler) 400865

I have the heatsink type of cooler (as most of us probably do). The tech said I would have to find some sort of adapter for the heatsink to make it fit. I wonder if the one that Sexyleo recommended will work?

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 12-19-2007, 12:59 PM

Just go to autozone and get a generic cooler they are like 30-40 bucks.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:22 PM

How would the trans cooler effect operating temperature at start-up and winter temperatures?

Quick Reply: 6th Gens and Transmission problems