6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

XM RADIO ON A BUDGET

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

XM RADIO ON A BUDGET

I wanted more of a variety of music in my Maxima but I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on my latest desire.

Right now XM is offering a "3 Months free" with a 6 Month commitment for new subscribers. That works out to only 6.50 per Month for the first 6 Months.

Next I needed a decent but inexpensive XM radio that went ok with my dash/interior. Got the "AudioVox Xpress off the internet for $46 shipped.

I installed it in about 2 hours. I ran the audio out into my cassette player and hid all the connections by coming through the back side. I did not want it on top or mounted on the vents so I took the door off the bottom cubby hole and mounted it their. It comes with a remote so it's location is fine by me. I can see all the information from the screen just fine. It won't attract thieves so easily and IMO looks ok. Yeah, yeah there are gaps on the side but good enough for yours truly.

The audio quality is fantastic! XM (thank God), upped their fidelity on August 4th this year. It sounds way better than the CD player and goes louder. I couldn't be more pleased. Here are the pics...

I mounted the antenna up front.

Last edited by coolmax05; 11-23-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:52 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

nice pics... good work doing it on your own...
Old 11-23-2007, 02:21 PM

looks sweet but what kind of pedals do you have
Old 11-24-2007, 09:07 AM

That looks nice... Most Maxima's are pre-wired for Satellite already and I was thinking about getting one that would be internal and no one would see since I have the button for it... That looks nice and its good you found something that suits you... that is a good deal.... BTW I love the shift ****... its super sleek....
Old 11-24-2007, 10:21 AM
GrandPa

Nice work. I know you can make piece to close up the gaps.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:22 AM

Edit: I meant that the XM sounds way better than the radio NOT the CD player (altho close).

Originally Posted by STARR
looks sweet but what kind of pedals do you have
For the life of me I don't remember where I got the pedals but--there are a lot of nice pedals out there (trust me on that). Sorry...
BTW Thanks "fastmax" & "STARR" for the nice words.

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
That looks nice... Most Maxima's are pre-wired for Satellite already and I was thinking about getting one that would be internal and no one would see since I have the button for it... That looks nice and its good you found something that suits you... that is a good deal.... BTW I love the shift ****... its super sleek....
The ones that are internal from the factory are ridiculously expensive and according to this link does not display as much info. However, you don't know it's there. By far the nicest looking seeing as tho you can not see it . http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=factory+sat

Remember the key phrase "XM on a Budget". Thanks for the kind words.

I picked up the shift **** for $20 at Checkers. I like the way it feels in my hands (there are finger indentations on the other side) and the color scheme goes well with my Sat Radio...err, the dash (IMO).
Old 11-24-2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
Nice work. I know you can make piece to close up the gaps.
Thanks ramberg. I'm also thinking about moving the antenna to the rear.
The reception is fantastic. Way better than I got with Sirius Radio when I had a truck that had a Alpine unit installed. I have been all over town and experienced only one drop out under a certain bridge.

One of the very nice features is that the cradle that came with the radio has a input "bypass" as well-so I can still play my MP3 player through it. The biggest thing cosmetically was hiding the cassette adapter wire behind the front panel and going through the back side. That cleaned up the look quite a bit.

From start to finish on the install and equipment only $46. If I had a wife that would have been a easy sell (for all you married guys who want XM).

Oh I almost forgot...the radio came with a cigarette lighter plug-in adapter so I did spend another $6 on a cigarette lighter that I spliced into the cigarette lighter wires on the underside. That way if I ever remove the adapter it is still usable in a regular "exposed" cigarette lighter. The adapter itself converts the 12VDC into 5VDC so it was needed. Once again did not want any connections to the radio exposed. Make that $52...

Last edited by coolmax05; 11-24-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

XM Radio

Thats looks great. This is exactley what I need. How did you wire the Antenna to the radio. If you have some detailed instructions on the entire install it would help.
Thanks.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
Edit: I meant that the XM sounds way better than the radio NOT the CD player (altho close).

For the life of me I don't remember where I got the pedals but--there are a lot of nice pedals out there (trust me on that). Sorry...
BTW Thanks "fastmax" & "STARR" for the nice words.

The ones that are internal from the factory are ridiculously expensive and according to this link does not display as much info. However, you don't know it's there. By far the nicest looking seeing as tho you can not see it . http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=factory+sat

Remember the key phrase "XM on a Budget". Thanks for the kind words.

I picked up the shift **** for $20 at Checkers. I like the way it feels in my hands (there are finger indentations on the other side) and the color scheme goes well with my Sat Radio...err, the dash (IMO).
U got that shift **** at a burger joint? How so?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by BlackMaxSE2004
Thats looks great. This is exactley what I need. How did you wire the Antenna to the radio. If you have some detailed instructions on the entire install it would help.
Thanks.
Haha-"Checkers" is a automotive store. The same company owns "Schucks" and "Kragens".

Regarding the antenna...I'm not using the antenna, I'm using the cassette player that comes with the Maxima via a cassette adapter that comes with the kit.

Edit: Oh wait a minute you mean the XM SAT antenna? I guess you mean how did I run the wires for the SAT antenna? Very carefully if i say so myself...out the back of the cubby hole-across underneath the dash on the drivers side-through a hole underneath and left of the steering wheel-out into the engine bay-up between the windshield and the rubber weather seal. here is a great link on how to take apart your front panels on the dash (you'll thank me for this). LOTS of pictures and a great link set up by none other than "russgriz".
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=factory+sat

Last edited by coolmax05; 11-24-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:04 AM

nice work, but putting the antenna outside is not necessary and looks tacky. u can have the antenna inside, you will get the same reception. just mounted on the dash nearest to the window.i put mine on the passengers side. works great.
enjoy.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:33 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=coolmax05;6089571]

XM radio is great, I have had it on my car since I brought it. I also have it in my wife's car, laptop and in my receiver at home. Laptop is free.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by scrui
nice work, but putting the antenna outside is not necessary and looks tacky. u can have the antenna inside, you will get the same reception. just mounted on the dash nearest to the window.i put mine on the passengers side. works great.
enjoy.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll consider relocating the antenna inside the car.

I like your grill. Now we have to work on your parking skills.

As they say in San Francisco, "never leave your rear end exposed in the streets".
Old 11-25-2007, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the grille compliment & thanks for the tip, i was kinda worried myself but not about someone hitting me but getting a ticket. $75.
I parked like that because I wanted to get a good picture.

I actually have two antenas inside one in each end. GPS & Sirius. works great.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by scrui
Thanks for the grille compliment & thanks for the tip, i was kinda worried myself but not about someone hitting me but getting a ticket. $75.
I parked like that because I wanted to get a good picture.

I actually have two antenas inside one in each end. GPS & Sirius. works great.
I was just messin' with ya. I knew you parked like that to "show off" that awesome grill (would have temporarily did the same).

Great advice! Now other members know they don't have to go to such extremes for good XM reception regarding the location of the XM antenna. What can I say, I think and place antennas outside of the box/car. LOL

I have decided after research and your advice to place it back in the box/car. Another advantage is you don't have to worry about car washes or nitwits pulling it off. Again, your great advice is appreciated. That's what this board is all about.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:52 PM

Are XM and Sirius the only two nationally known Satellite radio providers? Or are there more?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

They are the only two and soon they will be merging into one.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have sirius installed, in a similar manner. however, i want to install a stiletto and it wont fit in that section. Anybody have pictures of a stiletto installed in a maxima? I would love to see a clean install of this.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Tell them that Sirius is offering a better deal. Call XM to cancel and they'll most likely give you an extra month - 3 months for free. Happened to my friend. His receiver broke so they sent him a free replacement, $75 gift card to spend towards installing the new unit, 3 free months, and an XM hat. lol... Retention marketing is great. It can work both ways.