6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Thanks for the memories guys, back to BMW

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the memories guys, back to BMW

Finally got fed up with the loud banging suspention, the A/C out 2K after warranty, and the turning radius. I traded in a BMW for the Max, now back to a nice 3 series 04 BMW again. I miss the extra HP of the Max, but the BMW is what it is. I was lucky to get what I could on the 04 Max trade in, but 16,000 for it was not that bad. I had some equity. Actually, got the BMW from the Nissan dealer. Now, back to the BMW mods, nice to have a variety of them. Best of luck to you all and will still come back from time to time.

Carcus
Old 11-10-2007, 06:21 PM

No parts for sale?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hilbe
No parts for sale?
Nope, not any engine mods.....just traded the sucker in 20 rims and all. Kept the speaker box, and amp. Feels good to have a car that can easily park and no shimmy. Hopefully the Max goes to a good owner. I did bring up the Maxima frustration to the dealer on trading it in. I love the new Altimas overpriced but look nicer and the newer 6th gen do nothing for me. He said the Max will take a 1 year sleep for a redesign and they plan on keeping it their flagship....that is what I also thought in 04 when I got the Max new. They are having a hell of a time selling the used ones now. Also, he stated the Murano will go on a 1 year vacation and a refresh. Just dealer talk, but who knows. Right now, just glad to be back in a fun car that can turn on a dime, sports kit, and lux kit. I love it. No bad mojo with the Maxima, but from now on, sticking with BMW. Also, nice to have a variety of mods.......not just a few. Best of luck to ya all. I can tell you though, the 2 dr Altima was tempting......just way overpriced. Wonder what the dealer will think when summer comes and the AC no workie. Struts are wasted as well. And then comes the never ending steering wheel whobble....
Old 11-10-2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by carcus
(Maxima)Finally got fed up with the loud banging suspention, the A/C out 2K after warranty, and the turning radius...
(BMW 3 series)...Right now, just glad to be back in a fun car that can turn on a dime, ...

Sorry to hear about your "sucker" maxima and congrats on your "fun car" BMW 3 series.

Just happened to step over some numbers in edmunds.com

2007 Nissan Sentra (4 dr sedan):
Length 179.8 in.
Width 70.5 in.
Turning Circle 35.4 ft.

2007 BMW 328i (4 dr sedan):
Length 178.2 in.
Width 71.5 in.
Turning Circle 36.1 ft.

If the BMW 3 series can "turn on a dime", what can a Nissan Sentra turn on?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Nope, not any engine mods.....just traded the sucker in 20 rims and all. Kept the speaker box, and amp. Feels good to have a car that can easily park and no shimmy. Hopefully the Max goes to a good owner. I did bring up the Maxima frustration to the dealer on trading it in. I love the new Altimas overpriced but look nicer and the newer 6th gen do nothing for me. He said the Max will take a 1 year sleep for a redesign and they plan on keeping it their flagship....that is what I also thought in 04 when I got the Max new. They are having a hell of a time selling the used ones now. Also, he stated the Murano will go on a 1 year vacation and a refresh. Just dealer talk, but who knows. Right now, just glad to be back in a fun car that can turn on a dime, sports kit, and lux kit. I love it. No bad mojo with the Maxima, but from now on, sticking with BMW. Also, nice to have a variety of mods.......not just a few. Best of luck to ya all. I can tell you though, the 2 dr Altima was tempting......just way overpriced. Wonder what the dealer will think when summer comes and the AC no workie. Struts are wasted as well. And then comes the never ending steering wheel whobble....

See ya and try to keep up!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 03:13 AM

Sorry to hear about your "sucker" maxima and congrats on your "fun car" BMW 3 series.

Length 179.8 in.
Width 70.5 in.
Turning Circle 35.4 ft.

Length 178.2 in.
Width 71.5 in.
Turning Circle 36.1 ft.

First off, carcus was comparing the turning radius of a Maxima versus a bmw 3 series, not a Sentra. the maxima has a turning radius of 40 feet. its a much larger car. That, combined with the fact that it's front wheel drive does not help at all either. The bmw is smaller and is rear wheel drive, of course it turns on a dime compared to our Maximas.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:36 AM
GrandPa

I am happy to say that except for the turning radius which I am used tom I have had no major problems with my Max. I do wish you the best of luck with your bimmer.

BTW I don't know what model that you brought in the 3 seris but I would check this out.
The Nissan dealer or previous owner might not have did this.

Recall Date: MAR 29, 2007
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:MASTER CYLINDER
Summary:
CERTAIN CARDONE MASTER CYLINDERS WITH DATE CODES LOWER THAN DCA7078 SOLD AS REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT FOR USE ON THE VEHICLES LISTED ABOVE. THE SEAL ON MASTER CYLINDER CAN FAIL AND LEAK BRAKE FLUID.

Consequence:
LOSS OF BRAKE FLUID CAN RESULT IN POOR BRAKING PERFORMANCE, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy:
CARDONE WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER TO REPURCHASE ANY DEFECTIVE MASTER CYLINDERS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2007. OWNERS CAN CONTACT CARDONE AT 1-800-777-4780.

Potential Units Affected:
Old 11-11-2007, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by maxinuff
First off, carcus was comparing the turning radius of a Maxima versus a bmw 3 series, not a Sentra. the maxima has a turning radius of 40 feet. its a much larger car. That, combined with the fact that it's front wheel drive does not help at all either. The bmw is smaller and is rear wheel drive, of course it turns on a dime compared to our Maximas.

Sorry, you completely missed my point. One cannot compare the turning radii of two cars of sizes as different as a maxima and bmw 3 series. Thats like comparing apples to oranges. A bmw 3 series is of the size of a sentra, in fact lesser in length, so they can be compared.

It is shameful how such a small and pricey car like bmw 3 series cannot beat the turning radius of a car like the sentra that costs less than half of the price of a bmw 3 series. People who say that the bmw 3 series can turn on a dime most probably call a one dollar coin a dime (which is understable for bmw 3 series buyers because that is the value for money one gets by buying that car).

The not-so-good turning radius of a maxima is well known but that does NOT make it comparable to a sentra-like sized bmw 3 series. Learn to compare apples to apples -- that simply was my point and you missed it.

If you want to prove the not-so-good turning radius of a maxima (which no one argues by the way), compare it to an avalon which is bigger in size with lesser turning radius. But by no means to a bmw 3-series.

Last edited by bb700092; 11-11-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:34 AM
KC's FINEST

Pics?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Congrats on your BMW, but don't expect it not to have any problems. You unfortunetly got a near lemon. Furthermore BMW's are xpensive to repair and tougher to work on.

For the most part (except for parking) the turning radius is not going to come into play.

My exgirlfriend has a 2004 BMW 330. The car had a lot of road noise, bad ride quality, and I owned her every single time so bad, she would give up in the first 100 yards. She had all kinds of issues. She was under warranty so she seldom paid out of pocket. I got to test drive a lot of her rentals. The car felt cramped, but I did love the seats and dash. I will say it had great acceleration above 85MPH.

She wanted to beat me so bad she almost ponied up $2000 for whatchamacallit Mods (chip, exhaust, ect...). She does not know it but i still would have kiked her youknowwhat. She even considered trading in for a M3.

Now I'm not going to lie-I love the M3 despite it's really horrible ride quality. And the "new" 335 (if it wasn't for the money) is almost a obsession. That car is nice!!!

Bring your 3 series onto my turf (assuming it's not a M3) and be prepared to be manhandled be it strait or the twisties.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:55 AM

He already said he misses the extra ponies. He probably got into a sub-200 HP 325 or a 220 HP 330.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:06 AM
SickSE

I would absolutely pay money to come watch you get away from a 330 in some tight turns. The 3 series Bimmer is a work of art and is perfection when it comes to handling.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SickSE
I would absolutely pay money to come watch you get away from a 330 in some tight turns. The 3 series Bimmer is a work of art and is perfection when it comes to handling.
Great, I'll use it for more Mods to further prove my case.

Koni's, AGX, Progress rear sway bar, Progress springs w/ 1/2 turn cut on fronts, Front strut brace, Front & Rear Endlinks, G35 wheels at +30mm offset, 255/40/18's Michelin PS2's, More Horse Power and most likely better driver (Racing School + 33 years of driving experience).

I am very happy when someone gets a new ride they like-regardless of what kind of car it is. But if you want to go out speaking somewhat bad about a Maxima on a Maxima forum be prepared to be refuted.

It's all good tho. Congradulations. Many happy years of trouble free motoring. Hopefully "SickSE" will join you and become "SickBMW".
Old 11-11-2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
I am very happy when someone gets a new ride they like-regardless of what kind of car it is. But if you want to go out speaking somewhat bad about a Maxima on a Maxima forum be prepared to be refuted.
Thats precisely the point which many people fail to perceive. Calling maxima a "sucker" in a maxima forum is by no means tolerable. It in fact becomes laughing stock when the car in question fails to even compete with a sentra in many respects.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Newbie just Registered

The 3 series Bimmer is a work of art and is perfection when it comes to handling.
Do you work for Car and Driver?

Congrats on your new car Carcus.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax

Congrats on your new car Carcus.
Thanks much, this is my 3rd BMW so I know a bit about them. People took the thread way out of tangent. Some people just like specific cars. Hell, I traded in a 328 convert for the Maxima, had dealership issues and I still think the quality of materials in the BMW is a big difference. I never bought the Max to be a race car, I have a Stang 5.0 if I want to revert back to my teenage years. The BMW may be a better car for me and that is all that matters. It is a 04 325Ci, I got a great deal and jumped on it, black leather, sport package, and luxury package. Now, compared to the Max with stock suspention (SE model) and the BMW.....now if I was to compare the Maxima with something near it's size.....a 5 series.....hmmmm, what would I pick if I had the money? Again, comparing apples to oranges. My BMW is a 2dr coupe, and yes, smaller, but I do have a jeep if I want room. No ill will to the Maxima board, I did not slam the Maxima at all. But than again, the dealers never did crap to fix any issues, not unlike other dealers. Ramburg, Chern, Deus, and the others who have been with me from 04....best wishes and continue with your good work and individuality. I tell ya though, the new 2dr 3.5 Altima looks swet. As far as mods for the BMW goes, no more than 18 inch rims for me, no chrome, swap the wood for carbon fiber, and than the small stuff. So many things to do.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by bb700092

Length 179.8 in.
Width 70.5 in.
Turning Circle 35.4 ft.

Length 178.2 in.
Width 71.5 in.
Turning Circle 36.1 ft.

It can turn on a budget....
Old 11-11-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
I am happy to say that except for the turning radius which I am used tom I have had no major problems with my Max. I do wish you the best of luck with your bimmer.

BTW I don't know what model that you brought in the 3 seris but I would check this out.
The Nissan dealer or previous owner might not have did this.

Recall Date: MAR 29, 2007
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:MASTER CYLINDER
Summary:
CERTAIN CARDONE MASTER CYLINDERS WITH DATE CODES LOWER THAN DCA7078 SOLD AS REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT FOR USE ON THE VEHICLES LISTED ABOVE. THE SEAL ON MASTER CYLINDER CAN FAIL AND LEAK BRAKE FLUID.

Consequence:
LOSS OF BRAKE FLUID CAN RESULT IN POOR BRAKING PERFORMANCE, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy:
CARDONE WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER TO REPURCHASE ANY DEFECTIVE MASTER CYLINDERS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2007. OWNERS CAN CONTACT CARDONE AT 1-800-777-4780.

Potential Units Affected:

Thanks Ramberg...always looking out for me I checked the recalls. I am good to go. Hey, the Nissan dealer told me the Murano and Maxima are going on a 1 year vacation for complete refresh soon. Not sure if it is true but that is what corporate told him. I saw the new G......sweet....
Old 11-11-2007, 02:14 PM

Thats precisely the point which many people fail to perceive. Calling maxima a "sucker" in a maxima forum is by no means tolerable. It in fact becomes laughing stock when the car in question fails to even compete with a sentra in many respects.
What the hell are you smoking????

Who made the newbie the Maxima God???
Old 11-11-2007, 02:18 PM
KC's FINEST

Post some pics already...
Old 11-11-2007, 03:20 PM

Take care Carcus. I barely knew ye.

And not sure if I could go down to a 3 series after a maxima. I'm with cool I absolutely LOVE the M3 but it's a monster and spensive as well. I'd Love a new 535 those are sweet. Hell even a 2002 530 would be sweet. M5 is the ultimate but alas I will probably never be able to afford one. BMW's are spensive to work on but will be a damn good ride regardless. Take care bra.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:25 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Gl man .. and post some pics...

My gf has a 2004 bmw 325.... its a total dog... I wouldnt spend what she did on it... but IT IS A BMW!!! They have great service plans (she doesnt pay for Oil changes, brakes, Etc...)Warranty is transferable also for teh entire life of the warranty 100,000...

all that said... im gald you are happy w/ it... but i wouldnt trade my maxima for a bmw unless i was getting a m3 or late model m5..

GL friend...
Old 11-11-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fastmax05
all that said... im gald you are happy w/ it... but i wouldnt trade my maxima for a bmw unless i was getting a m3 or late model m5..

GL friend...
Old 11-11-2007, 03:50 PM
SickSE

No, however I did drive one for a month while my car was in the shop. When I got it back, it felt horrible. Bimmers are so far ahead of our cars its rather depressing actually.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:43 PM

What the hell are you smoking????
A bmw 3 series

Who made the newbie the Maxima God???
Here no one is a newbie nor is anyone God. Only that everyone loves his/her maxima.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:53 PM

Here no one is a newbie nor is anyone God. Only that everyone loves his/her maxima.
Not according to Carcus
Old 11-11-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mack
Not according to Carcus
I know and thats so sad. We never know, maybe there are more Carcuses here in this forum.

I do not have anything against Carcus or the fact that he hated his maxima and likes his bmw. But shouldn't one be a little bit more thoughtful before declaring the maxima a sucker when there are many maxima owners like me who are extremely happy with their maxima?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Newbie just Registered

No, however I did drive one for a month while my car was in the shop. When I got it back, it felt horrible. Bimmers are so far ahead of our cars its rather depressing actually.
You also sacrifice so much more to be in one about the same price as a Maxima.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Newbie just Registered

I know and thats so sad. We never know, maybe there are more Carcuses here in this forum.

I do not have anything against Carcus or the fact that he hated his maxima and likes his bmw. But shouldn't one be a little bit more thoughtful before declaring the maxima a sucker when there are many maxima owners like me who are extremely happy with their maxima?
You have no idea what you're talking about, but then you haven't been around long enough. There's a reason why he called you a n00b!
Old 11-11-2007, 05:38 PM
SickSE

Bimmers are drivers cars what can ya say.

What I am guessing you are talking about...

-rear leg room
-plush suspension
-ride comfort

Its a driver/enthusiast's car......

Don't knock it until you try it.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Newbie just Registered

Bimmers are drivers cars what can ya say.

What I am guessing you are talking about...

-rear leg room
-plush suspension
-ride comfort

Its a driver/enthusiast's car......

Don't knock it until you try it.

I own one.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:43 PM

You have no idea what you're talking about, but then you haven't been around long enough. There's a reason why he called you a n00b!
Maybe I haven't been in this forum long enough (though I don't know what period is "long enough" and who decides that), but I have driven a maxima as well as other nissan cars for more than 7 years/100,000 miles. And that certainly makes me qualified enough to say what I was saying.

Also, what I said has nothing to do with my experiences. I put forth facts and numbers from reliable sites.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Newbie just Registered

Maybe I haven't been in this forum long enough (though I don't know what period is "long enough" and who decides that), but I have driven a maxima as well as other nissan cars for more than 7 years/100,000 miles. And that certainly makes me qualified enough to say what I was saying.

Also, what I said has nothing to do with my experiences. I put forth facts and numbers from reliable sites.
You haven't been around long enough to know certain members, not the car.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:46 PM
SickSE

I own one.
Can't help ya then.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:54 PM

You haven't been around long enough to know certain members, not the car.
Unless we're talking about a BMW M5, no use in making this thread any longer than necessary!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 05:59 PM

Why all this hostility. No one is bashing either car. Carcus, enjoy the BMW (but get rid of it before 100K or else... All those bells and whistles on the Bimmers do make those cars handle well. i race every model every year in S.C. I love my maxima and Im sure if Carcus had not had a lemon this discussion would not even take place. Play nice.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Unless we're talking about a BMW M5, no use in making this thread any longer than necessary!!!

Unfortunately you are the only 6th gen that will be able to compete with the m5...at least the e39 one.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by coitaltie
Unfortunately you are the only 6th gen that will be able to compete with the m5...at least the e39 one.
Actually I meant it in a way as to how freakin much I loved the M5 (SORRY, I Meant M6) when I saw it at the DC auto show...

Last edited by chernmax; 11-11-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ironically, I did the same move and regretted it. I moved from a max to 3 series and now happily back with the 6 gen max. As pretty as the e46 is, prefer the functionality and reliability of the max-just my two cents.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:29 PM
SickSE

Only in a straight line.

Quick Reply: Thanks for the memories guys, back to BMW