6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Thanks for the memories guys, back to BMW

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 06:43 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Good luck with the 3 Series Bimmer.

I can't imagine giving up my 6th Gen for a 3 series(not even an M3; too small for me), but I would luv to go 535i. Then again my Max has been good to me for 67K miles and has a good amount of power.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by SickSE
Only in a straight line.
Actually with BFG G-force tires, OZ lightweight racing rims, D2 Racing Coilovers, Racingline front/rear endlinks, Stillen FUSB and Stillen rear anti-sway bar with 4 piston Wilwoods BBK front/back this car has awesome handling characteristics, not only in a straight line...
Old 11-11-2007, 07:03 PM

That M6 is schweet as hell. Hey Chern, is that Remus exhaust on that?

p.s. I LOOOVE the M5 but man, as much as that bastard cost it SHOULD wipe the maxima.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mack
That M6 is schweet as hell. Hey Chern, is that Remus exhaust on that?

p.s. I LOOOVE the M5 but man, as much as that bastard cost it SHOULD wipe the maxima.
No bro, those are stock pipes on the M6!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 08:09 PM

fitting day i see your thread, carcus.... nov 11.....

welcome back.. iceland or greenland... i dont remember which....

congrats on the bmw.....

perhaps you shd. re-share a few pics of your old ride here... your post may have given the impression that you did not like the max... i remember ure car being one of the first "nicely" modded ones.....
Old 11-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by tubells
fitting day i see your thread, carcus.... nov 11.....

welcome back.. iceland or greenland... i dont remember which....

congrats on the bmw.....

perhaps you shd. re-share a few pics of your old ride here... your post may have given the impression that you did not like the max... i remember ure car being one of the first "nicely" modded ones.....

Exactly!

Originally Posted by SickSE
Can't help ya then.

But you're the expert!
Old 11-11-2007, 08:48 PM
SickSE

I just tell it like it is my man.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:13 PM

Good luck with your new ride, I would not have gone for a 325 but I've driven one through the twisties and any car that can do 90plus on a mountain road that has a 35mph limit is OK in my book just that rush of rocketing past other cars that can't even attempt to keep up is worth the price of the car
Old 11-12-2007, 05:09 AM

With the DSC on, a drunk driver could keep it on the road...
Old 11-12-2007, 06:31 AM
Banned

I could condone going to a 335i, i personally need the ponies and its one of the many things that lets me forget some of the annoying things like turning radius and a few electronic quirks.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I could condone going to a 335i, i personally need the ponies and its one of the many things that lets me forget some of the annoying things like turning radius and a few electronic quirks.
I'm with you, I need the raw power, hell if BMW sold a stripped out 335i with nothing but the basic I would hop on board
Old 11-12-2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by bb700092
Thats precisely the point which many people fail to perceive. Calling maxima a "sucker" in a maxima forum is by no means tolerable. It in fact becomes laughing stock when the car in question fails to even compete with a sentra in many respects.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:47 PM
SickSE

You do know that the 335's motor puts out............nvm ....christ.

And for the sentra......I think the guy before me says all you need.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:40 PM

I think i'm gonna trade my max in for a BMW 330Ci also
Old 11-18-2007, 05:38 AM

With the right suspension upgrades, a Maxima can come very close to M3 handling. BMW has spent the time and money to have a phenomenal rwd platform straight from the factory. To be able to slap some aftermarket struts, springs, and a sway bar on a fwd car and even come near BMW's ride quality is a credit to Nissan. The Maxima is a great car for what it is as well as what it has the potential to be.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by riverrats923
With the right suspension upgrades, a Maxima can come very close to M3 handling. BMW has spent the time and money to have a phenomenal rwd platform straight from the factory. To be able to slap some aftermarket struts, springs, and a sway bar on a fwd car and even come near BMW's ride quality is a credit to Nissan. The Maxima is a great car for what it is as well as what it has the potential to be.
Oh I know, I slapped on D2 coilovers that are Camber and Height adjustable matched with RacingLine F/R endlinks that connect to Stillen rear anti-sway bar and my OEM front lower anti sway bar, and for braking on Front and Rear Wilwood 4 Piston Big Brake Kit with Hawk HPS Brake Pads connected to metal braided brake lines stopping a set of BFG g-force KDW2 255/45ZR18 Y99 Mounted to O.Z. Comp HT lightweight racing rims (19.5llbs) offset with Eibach Pro 5mm spacer kit for a slightly wider stance which includes longer lug bolts (Very Light!!!). Not to mention it works awesome with the fully independent suspension and with the additional weight I shaved off the car NO M3 (Or any BMW for that fact I have come up against in a spirited way ) has been able to escape me...

If we're on a highway rolling and not on a take off (FWD ) it's hard for sons a *****es to get away from me, I mostly tend to slap the a$$hole only drivers around because they put people in danger and need to be taught a little street justice sometimes. Least of all they never expect it, I won't be owned by driver pr!cks...

Oh did I mention the 370+whp Turbo...

Last edited by chernmax; 11-18-2007 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Newbie just Registered

Don't forget tires! BMW doesn't cheap out on tires either, they add it to the price tag.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by chernmax

Oh did I mention the 370+whp Turbo...
Like that will make ANY difference...
Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Like that will make ANY difference...
you took my comment the wrong way. i love maximas and was saying that starting by upgrading just 3 components you can nearly match stock bmw handling, which in my book is pretty impressive and is a testament to nissan's engineering. i was diagreeing with people like sickse, for example, who seem to be saying that a bmw's handling can't be paralleled or surpassed by a car like the maxima.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Newbie just Registered

you took my comment the wrong way. i love maximas and was saying that starting by upgrading just 3 components you can nearly match stock bmw handling, which in my book is pretty impressive and is a testament to nissan's engineering. i was diagreeing with people like sickse, for example, who seem to be saying that a bmw's handling can't be paralleled or surpassed by a car like the maxima.
I didn't. I agree with you.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:53 PM

Actually I was agreeing with you also and stating how I did it!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You aint neva lied...well said and welcome to the forum.

We are glad you're here. It's always nice when someone joins who recognizes the versility of the 6th Gen maxima. HUGE bang for the buck, and the ability to wear more than a few faces in automobile world (performance, comfort, attitude, reliabilty, safety, ect...).

With enough money, one can most definetly beat out the Maxima except for "bang-for-the-buck". The last category is where the Maxima shines.

Like you eloquently stated, a few Mods and you're close to BMW 3 series handling but will outrun it while sipping on your 'latte (except for the very expensive M3 & 335I). I love BMW's. I just hate what you get for the money. The G37 in most ways, is a better car than the 335I (turbo runs hella hot according to Motor Trend-just a mere 40 degress less than shut down) but cost about 6G's less.

Lets face it-you say BMW and "sick" people like "SE" start breathing heavy and sweating. This of course leads to pre-mature rhetoric and statements like "Bimmer is a work of art and is perfection when it comes to handling".

Yes "Perfection", like it is impossible to handle better. Forget "4WS", forget, midengine euro cars, forget AMG Mercedes, hell forget everything. It's a freakin' BMW-case closed!!!

Whenever I see a BMW 3 series in the rear view mirror wanting to challenge my poor Maxima (especially if I see a turn coming up), I just hopelessly move to right and appreciate the fact that I was forewarned by "Sick" not to even try to keep up. God forbid trying to out park them.

Thanks "SE".
Old 11-19-2007, 12:09 AM

I can't believe that you got 16k for it...My pristine LOADED 06 SE with 15k miles could only get me 17k this past summer...
Old 11-19-2007, 12:19 AM

BMW are sweet but lets remember that they have enthusiast to, every make has morons that think just because, I'm sure some of the guys who set their 6th Gens up on these Maxima boards would be no different then if they owned anything else.

Everyday I wonder WTH some people are doing behind the wheel of certain cars, pisses me off when a car that can handle slows to a crawl to take the on ramp to the highway, and then the person comes to an almost dead stop before merging into a 70mph traffic flow doing 25mph and then they take off
Old 11-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here is a link to "Motor Trends" which car is the best handling right off the show room floor. I think you guys will find it interesting.

Out of the the ten that were tested the BMW placed 6th. The Z06 susprisingly (or maybe not suprisingly) got ripped apart on handling.

The "EVO" and the "Mini Cooper" really held thier own. Check it out...

http://www.motortrend.com/features/1...t_handling_car
Old 11-19-2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nightkid08
I can't believe that you got 16k for it...My pristine LOADED 06 SE with 15k miles could only get me 17k this past summer...
Hey, I lucked out at the Nissan dealer trading it in. Got the BMW cheap and they actually liked the mods I did to the interior and rims. Kept the box and amp. I was actually offered 11 tops for the Maxima a few times ago. Was really looking at a used Armada, was loaded, but had high miles on it. I turned, saw a 3 series on the side, said I want it, the dealer said it was going to auction in 2 days, Nissan has a hard time selling those cars. Plus the salesman was a just retired SNCO (Army) So far, loving the BMW and after having owned 2 Maximas, and 3 BMWs, I am now staying with BMW. Hell, I traded in a BMW convert for the Maxima. Don't get me wrong, I loved the room, and the 3.5 engine in the Maxima. All I can say is I go by my gut. Not bashing any Nissan owners. But hell, everyone has complained about the same things I have since 04 on the board. Not like I posted anything new and said....ha ha, got a BMW, bite me. They are 2 different kind of cars. Will an Maxima blow me away....heck yes. Am I happier sitting in the bumper to bumper traffic out here in the BMW.....hell yes, just my preference. I never bought the Maxima to mod......if I want to race something, I get in the Mustang. If I want good winter driving, I get in the Jeep. If I want enjoyment......that is what the BMW is for. Just got some new tires, alignment, and some hyper silver M3 rims on the way. Also, the Harman Kardon stereo is not that great, but neither is Bose. Well, I love my HK home reciever. Guys, I might have a Maxima grill hamburger left, willing to give it away for free if I can find it. If I can find any other stuff, will ship them for free as well. I think everything is gone though. Have a good one all and keep your Max unique. This board was a pleasure to be on and learned alot. You have to understand me.......I go through cars quite a bit, and now getting older, found a brand I will be loyal to. Plus, missed the customer service.....

Regards with no hate. Celebrate.....

If you are in Colorado Springs, blow by me, gas and tickets cost too much. I have the Stang for the track if I want to race. Talk about cheap mods for speed.....the 5.0 has them all.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:03 AM

Carcus - I went back to BMW as well. No shame, the MAX is a good looking car with good straight line speed and the guys on the org are great. I keep checking back to see if mods have come up. Chern is doing great things with his turbo setup and everyones cars look great.

BUT I went to an M3 - it's absolutely 100X more exciting to drive than the MAX. No way ANY of the max's here hang in the canyons - no way. One of the best handling cars on the planet at any price point.

Keep up the good work here though - I love the mods
Old 11-20-2007, 08:13 AM

Hey Kung Fu, what year M3 did you go with? Certainly a worthy upgrade from a Maxima. I LOOOVE the M3's. They are little monsters! Got any pics?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
I didn't. I agree with you.
Originally Posted by chernmax
Actually I was agreeing with you also and stating how I did it!!!
My bad guys. I've actually been reading the forums here since about September '05 when I got my '97 Max. I think I've just gotten used to seeing "n00bs" get ripped apart and I assumed I was just getting sarcastic remarks for that reason.

Originally Posted by coolmax05
You aint neva lied...well said and welcome to the forum.
Thanks, and I'm with you 100% on "bang-for-the-buck" being the Maxima's strongest point... the VQ alone is worth the price of admission. I hold that with decent mods a Maxima will handle better than a stock BMW (including M3, M5, etc.), because the only thing that will always differentiate them is RWD vs. FWD. And with the right modifications the difference is pretty hard to notice.

Originally Posted by STARR
Everyday I wonder WTH some people are doing behind the wheel of certain cars
I hear you... Last week I got to a stoplight and came up behind a 330i in the left lane. The light turned green and he got on it, so I jumped in the right lane and gave him a sample of the "M-Power"... then as we're approaching the ramps to the interstate he gives me the ricer fly-by, swerves into the right lane in front of me, jerks back out into the left and continues to drive like an assclown while darting very dangerously through the heavier traffic up ahead. Sometimes I wonder...
Old 11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Traitor!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:23 PM

i work for a bmw dealership and when I get the chance once day my max will be traded in for one. probably a 330 sedan. tad slower but on the road makes the max feel like a boat . . I LOVE my maxima though. . no doubt . . the only thing that will keep me off of a bmw is if i really like the 7th gen. but still . . BMW customer relations is way better than Nissan. So thats a kind of a turn off . . well see. good luck with the bimmer though!
Old 06-21-2009, 05:29 PM

Turning radius really does suck on the max.....along with the shimmy and trans slip:[
Old 06-21-2009, 05:42 PM
KC's FINEST

Originally Posted by 06maximabadwaddle
Turning radius really does suck on the max.....along with the shimmy and trans slip:[

You replied to a 2 year old thread with that..?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:53 PM

After over a year and a half owning my 525i I can honestly say I miss my maxima.....sniff.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by 06maximabadwaddle
WTF are you kidding me? Thanx for wasting 5 minutes of my life.....
Old 06-21-2009, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by bb700092
Sorry, you completely missed my point. One cannot compare the turning radii of two cars of sizes as different as a maxima and bmw 3 series. Thats like comparing apples to oranges. A bmw 3 series is of the size of a sentra, in fact lesser in length, so they can be compared.

It is shameful how such a small and pricey car like bmw 3 series cannot beat the turning radius of a car like the sentra that costs less than half of the price of a bmw 3 series. People who say that the bmw 3 series can turn on a dime most probably call a one dollar coin a dime (which is understable for bmw 3 series buyers because that is the value for money one gets by buying that car).

The not-so-good turning radius of a maxima is well known but that does NOT make it comparable to a sentra-like sized bmw 3 series. Learn to compare apples to apples -- that simply was my point and you missed it.

If you want to prove the not-so-good turning radius of a maxima (which no one argues by the way), compare it to an avalon which is bigger in size with lesser turning radius. But by no means to a bmw 3-series.
The thing is, he traded in his Maxima for a 3 Series... so that's the comparison to make.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mack
After over a year and a half owning my 525i I can honestly say I miss my maxima.....sniff.
why
Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 AM

You can do anything to any car, with enough money.

For comparisons like this though... stock vs. stock... IMO...