6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

LoJack for the Max

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 03:00 PM

LoJack for the Max

Hi All
I will be picking up an 07 Max next week and was toying with the idea of getting Lojack. I was quoted $ 895 by the dealer for the top of the line Lojack. Just wondering if anybody else here has it, and if so how much did you pay for it and did it help with lowering insurance. Thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 08:22 AM
jacK the RiPpeR..

$895 seems way too high for lo jack.. between 550-700 is more like it.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by anewdimnsion
$895 seems way too high for lo jack.. between 550-700 is more like it.
You dont need lo jack for your max, its not worth it! If you have a good insurance company if someone does try to steal your car you will get a new one. Get a club its much better a cheaper than a lo jack, oh let me guess they say you save 10% of your insurance not really that much off buddy! skip the lo jack get an alarm and a nice club
Old 09-24-2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by BMWHIGH1
You dont need lo jack for your max, its not worth it! If you have a good insurance company if someone does try to steal your car you will get a new one. Get a club its much better a cheaper than a lo jack, oh let me guess they say you save 10% of your insurance not really that much off buddy! skip the lo jack get an alarm and a nice club

I am not interested in lo jack or anything but regarding your message, 10% off of insurance adds up over time. You are not thinking in terms of long terms savings. You think, oh only 10% off thats nothing, it is only like $100 or $200 off but after a couple of years it will end up paying for the lo jack! Think a little more long term!
Old 09-24-2007, 11:59 AM

I have it and it was in the $600 range...Lojac is lojac. What is the top of the line? Unless it froths your cappuccino in the morning, just another selling gimmick and yes it will pay for itself.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:27 PM

I had lojack and it did save me about 10% on my insurance but after the first year, you gotta pay lojack an annual feel. I stopped paying and was going to get a Viper GPS alarm but never got around to it... it's about the same price as a lojack but with more features.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:57 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

if someone DOES steal my car...

I dont want it back..

Make the insurance company give me money/new car...

car is tainted when stollen...
Old 09-24-2007, 02:02 PM

Everyone knows that if the car is not totaled, you will get it back and have to do the repairs or eat the depreciation and buy a new one. thats the point of Lojack, to help you get your car back quick and catch the dipsiht who stole it. unless you pay the insurance co the premium for the new car option (which is only for 1-2 years) you are stuck with your tainted car. Also, I have not had to pay a monthly fee or annually nor does the website say anything about this, but that may be for the early warning system.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:39 PM

There's more than one version of LoJack available. I have LoJack "Early Warning" on my Max. I don't remember all the details, but It gurantees recovery or will replace the car up to something like $50,000. It comes with a key fob that MUST be in the car when it's driven or moved. If the car is moved ten feet without the key fob in it, they call you, text you, E-mail you AND call the police. I paid $1050 for mine. If that's what you got, then you got a pretty good deal.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I used to install LoJack systems. There is no fee for the base system, but if you go with the early warning system they do charge a fee. The one problem with the base LoJack is that it doesn't activate until you report your car stolen to the police. So if you are away for a week and your car gets jacked, by the time you find out and notify the cops your car is chopped. The early warning version defeats that by adding a motion detector to the sytem. If the EWS detects motion without the presence of the keyfob that you must keep on your keychain, it automatically sends out a distress warning to up to 5 of your contact points (home phone, work, cell, pager, and email) to let you know your car is on the move without you.

It is a good system and does work, and the 10% discount on your insurance is nice, but the way I see it the non early warning system that doesn't require a monthly service is flawed, and the monthly fee for the one WITH the EWS offsets any savings from the insurance co. The biggest benefit of the LoJack is that it makes RECOVERY of your car much more likely, and also increases the chance of catching the bastards who stole it.

Last edited by Archamedis; 09-25-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Archamedis
I used to install LoJack systems. There is no fee for the base system, but if you go with the early warning system they do charge a fee. The one problem with the base LoJack is that it doesn't activate until you report your car stolen to the police. So if you are away for a week and your car gets jacked, by the time you find out and notify the cops your car is chopped. The early warning version defeats that by adding a motion detector to the sytem. If the EWS detects motion without the presence of the keyfob that you must keep on your keychain, it automatically sends out a distress warning to up to 5 of your contact points (home phone, work, cell, pager, and email) to let you know your car is on the move without you.

It is a good system and does work, and the 10% discount on your insurance is nice, but the way I see it the non early warning system that doesn't require a monthly service is flawed, and the monthly fee for the one WITH the EWS offsets any savings from the insurance co. The biggest benefit of the LoJack is that it makes RECOVERY of your car much more likely, and also increases the chance of catching the bastards who stole it.
Agreed and thanks for the chime in. not away from my car that often so i am happy with my investment.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:51 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I got LoJack with my new car and paid $750.00. Insurance discount adds up but the device doesn't pay for itself. It works, I try it every couple of months just to be sure. You don't need to pay anything untill after initial 5 years (not sure what the fees are).

The only problem, these remote control thingies - they don't last.

Overall, GO GET IT.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:00 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

OK so based on this I am sure I have the early warning system because if I move the car without the keyfob it rings my house, my cell, my pops house, I get a message and my bro gets a message. The whole idea is that if say somebody steals your car at 11:00 PM you know about it at ~11:05. You go outside, check if the car is there, if its not you call the cops and let them do their thing.

If you don't have the early warning, you get up in the morning 7 hours later and at that point your car could be 2 states away.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:20 PM

Yea, Not trying to hate on anyone but also depends where you live... Like were I live I can sleep with the car unlocked the only things that come near my car at night are four-legged. So depending on where you live it may or may not be worth it
Old 09-26-2007, 08:27 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by I VIK I
Yea, Not trying to hate on anyone but also depends where you live... Like were I live I can sleep with the car unlocked the only things that come near my car at night are four-legged. So depending on where you live it may or may not be worth it
Well yes and no. The possibility of the car being stolen is lower in certain areas more so then others but is not eliminated.

Reminds me of when we were kids and would go to a quiter neighborhood to bombard the buildings with eggs. Now, everybody would say unheard of but hey it happened.

We are both from NY (or at least live here) and we all know the places that get a bad rap but how many times someone gets whacked in one of those closely-knit communities. You hear the neighbors saying "oh, he was always a good boy" or "he was a close friend of ours and an excellent husband"

I think you get the point

Last edited by xoomer.com; 09-26-2007 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-2007, 08:10 AM

Exactly right. Gives you that much needed time. I think the stat is if your car isnt recovered within the first hour chances are slim that it ever will be.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I got LoJack with my new car and paid $750.00. Insurance discount adds up but the device doesn't pay for itself. It works, I try it every couple of months just to be sure. You don't need to pay anything untill after initial 5 years (not sure what the fees are).

The only problem, these remote control thingies - they don't last.

Overall, GO GET IT.

Mind if I ask how you test it out? The only way to activate it is to call the cops and report the car stolen. Or do you mean you test out the early warning system?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:38 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Mind if I ask how you test it out? The only way to activate it is to call the cops and report the car stolen. Or do you mean you test out the early warning system?
Yes the early warning part. I leave the keyfob at home and just take a ride. Usually within 5 mins I get my phones ringing.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:05 PM

Well I have it and I save a whole $9.00 off my insurance a year. But its already lower than any other company out there.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:20 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by silver & black
Well I have it and I save a whole $9.00 off my insurance a year. But its already lower than any other company out there.
Well I save $37 per 6 months.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Where is my shirt?

Worth the money brotha. The price is most def high. I bought my max in San Diego and they priced me at $489 for the syste,. Just makesure you register your car and the serial online and not through the mail. I surely recommend getting it. I also agree that in the long run, that 10% will easily come back to you through insurance.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 PM

I definitely think that it's worth it but, then again...I sell lojacks! Oh and if you are going to get lojack, make sure you get the early warning system.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:10 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by rabenoja
I definitely think that it's worth it but, then again...I sell lojacks! Oh and if you are going to get lojack, make sure you get the early warning system.
its great but these remotes don't last. My first one died after about a year and now the 2nd one is going. I change the battery and it still blinks. Whats up with that? Do you sell these?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:17 PM

The led should blink when you first change the battery. It will stop blinking after it communicates with the lojack a certain number of times.

I do sell the remotes. Just let me know if the are ovalish or the square ones....or better yet take a pic so, that way I know which system it is.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

square ones, how much and what needs to be done to synchronize it with the system. PM ME
Old 10-24-2007, 07:15 AM

PM sent...