6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What the hell does this mean

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:26 AM

What the hell does this mean

I just got a service engine soon light, and this is the code that came up
My car is 6speed manual!

P1706
Park Neutral Position Switch/Circuit

???????????

I don't even know where to look?

And last night coming back from work, my clutch all of a sudden lost pressure and then it came back?

Anyone have any clue what this is?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 09:02 AM

it means, prepare to spend some money if your warranty ran out.

take it to the dealer and ask them what it means and how much to fix..... then call other repair shops and ask them if they know how to fix the problem and how much...
Old 07-28-2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by djfris
I just got a service engine soon light, and this is the code that came up. My car is 6speed manual!

P1706
Park Neutral Position Switch/Circuit

I don't even know where to look?
A number of Auto parts places have the equipment to check out these computer messages. But the dealer will certainly know.

Originally Posted by djfris
And last night coming back from work, my clutch all of a sudden lost pressure and then it came back?

Anyone have any clue what this is?
Check out the discussion on this thread for the clutch problem:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=513315
Old 08-01-2007, 06:17 PM

have you recently installed a new shifter or maybe something got caught up under the car .that could have disconnected the nuetral safety switch for starting your car when the tranny's in nuetral and the clutch is pressed in to start the car. The clutch pedal going to the floor is common on 04-06's and is intermittent usally in heavy stop and go traffic. This is do to the clutch master cylinder seals not seating properly and letting air in causing the pedal to go down just like air in your brake lines. If your cars under warr you can tell the dealership but they usally give you BS so they don't have to replace it . As far as the code I go to your local autoparts store and have them help you check the code out like the other person suggested. good luck!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 PM

I dont have a 6 speed, but a park nuetral switch sends a signal to computer when clutch is depressed basically telling the comp its safe to start the car. You can look around the clutch pedal to see if it got snagged/disconnected, or if you have a auto start they usually tap into the switch and may have did something wrong. As for the pressure loss I have heard others complain about that and I would look into that link posted above.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:57 AM
dla
Supporting Maxima.org Member

6 gears of pure joy!

m/t’s and a/t’s both have pnp switch, but is much simpler on the m/t. Most likely it is the cable harness/connector (the circuit is either open or short) or it is the pnp switch itself. The switch is located on the transaxle case near the transaxle. If you are going to fix this your self, I would recommend getting an fsm or Chilton/Hayes.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:05 PM

I have the same occasional clutch "softness" problem in my 5th Gen, '01 Max SE w/5-Speed. About once every two months, regardless of conditions - cold, hot, after long constant drive, during short trips - the pedal almost hits the floor. Pumping it while in neutral, gets it back and it's fine for many weeks and many miles. My mechanic thinks - as someone else mentioned - it might be the internal O-ring in the cylinder occasionally allowing air to pass, but not bad enough to warrant replacement unless it gets more frequent. Have had that problem for two years now and, if anything, it's less frequent than earlier.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 PM
KC's FINEST

Originally Posted by Oldnewbie
I have the same occasional clutch "softness" problem in my 5th Gen, '01 Max SE w/5-Speed. About once every two months, regardless of conditions - cold, hot, after long constant drive, during short trips - the pedal almost hits the floor. Pumping it while in neutral, gets it back and it's fine for many weeks and many miles. My mechanic thinks - as someone else mentioned - it might be the internal O-ring in the cylinder occasionally allowing air to pass, but not bad enough to warrant replacement unless it gets more frequent. Have had that problem for two years now and, if anything, it's less frequent than earlier.
You bumped a three year old thread to tell us this..?

WTF?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
You bumped a three year old thread to tell us this..?
Didn't know that there was a rule against it. If you don't like it, have a monitor kill it and close the thread. Besides, your needless post takes up twice as much space as mine.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Oldnewbie
Didn't know that there was a rule against it. If you don't like it, have a monitor kill it and close the thread. Besides, your needless post takes up twice as much space as mine.
lolpwned
Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 AM

Found the problem. Problem became more frequent so took it in to a local mechanic - not Nissan - and he found a very slight leak in the hydraulic line between the master and slave cylinders. New hose fitted on, problem solved - but he didn't properly bleed the air from the lines, so fix was soft at first, but after bleeding it again, everything works fine.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Banned

Love the title....I was expecting the code to be PC Load Letter, what the F*(ck does that mean?!?!