6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cabin air filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im curious if anyone noticed any differences? Better airflow, less dust??
Old 07-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned

I honestly think you have to be driving in dusty conditions and really do a number on the filter to notice anything, such as the one deus posted. Mine was in for 10k longer and looked nowhere near as bad, bc my air conditions are pretty good
Old 07-10-2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Im curious if anyone noticed any differences? Better airflow, less dust??

Can't say that I really noticed a difference but mine was dirty enough (Not like yours ) that I didn't want any air passing through it as it came into the cabin.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Wow! "I think I've got the black-lung pops"
Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 PM

Just changed mine and it had some leaves and a nice, sooty color, but nowhere near as bad as Deus! For 10 bucks and a few minutes work, I should change this more than once every 4 years (44,000 miles).
Old 07-16-2007, 02:28 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

did he sell it to u for 10 shipped?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Fastmax05
did he sell it to u for 10 shipped?
I picked up mine from Advance (Purolator, part no. C35530) for $12.28 + tax.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:15 PM
wsu

rinse?

Has anyone tried washing the in-cabin filter instead of replacing it? If so, what were your impressions of the result? Or, I know that on some filters one can use a compressed air in the reverse direction to blow out a lot of particulates.

The material in the filter must be pretty inexpensive to manufacture and fashion into the pleated filter. I think the last time I replaced mine it was around $20 or so. I couldn't help but think how little the filter must cost to produce. I haven't checked my filter in a while. If it needs serviced I may try rinsing it out (assuming the filter will maintain its shape) and putting it back in there. If so, I'll let all know my impressions.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:58 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by wsu
Has anyone tried washing the in-cabin filter instead of replacing it? If so, what were your impressions of the result? Or, I know that on some filters one can use a compressed air in the reverse direction to blow out a lot of particulates.

The material in the filter must be pretty inexpensive to manufacture and fashion into the pleated filter. I think the last time I replaced mine it was around $20 or so. I couldn't help but think how little the filter must cost to produce. I haven't checked my filter in a while. If it needs serviced I may try rinsing it out (assuming the filter will maintain its shape) and putting it back in there. If so, I'll let all know my impressions.
While you're at it see if you can re-condition the blinker fluid.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:59 PM

Don't forget to change the air in your tires too!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by wsu

I'm in the process of rinsing it tonight (thanks to seeing this thread). All of the dirt is now gone and I'm waiting to see how it dries. I've done this in my other cars and the manual says that this is the course of action to take with a dirty filter.

We shall see.

Joshua
Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by philoforlife
I'm in the process of rinsing it tonight (thanks to seeing this thread). All of the dirt is now gone and I'm waiting to see how it dries. I've done this in my other cars and the manual says that this is the course of action to take with a dirty filter.

We shall see.

Joshua
Dude, no offense but if you wanted to save $8.00 on a microfilter you should have bough a civic. There is no way you can properly rinse or wash a micro filter without destroying its fibers. There is a reason why this product is called micro-filter and not "a" filter.

Do you also rinse your HEPA filters in your vacum machine? Lord have mercy
Old 08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
wsu

What?

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
While you're at it see if you can re-condition the blinker fluid.
Why would you post such a sarcastic put-down ( I am asking this rhetorically.)? I would hope that you are able to disagree or offer alternative ideas absent the denigrating attitude.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:07 PM
wsu

vacuum?

Another option one might consider is to use the brush attachment on a vacuum cleaner to "pull" particulates from the intake side of the filter. Yes, we could probably all go to the auto parts store and buy a new filter. That said, it can be good to figure out a way to do something a less expensive way. And one never knows how something will turn out unless one is willing to try a different approach. This is how progress is made.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:16 PM
wsu

What?

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Don't forget to change the air in your tires too!!!
Sometimes people want to try something new. They may have different reasons for doing so, and that's fine by me. If a person can save a buck or two or twenty, there's nothing wrong with that!

I'm not sure why you feel that you need to try to ridicule someone as you did with your comment.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:36 PM

i agree w/ u WSU...here all the do is call you out when u try to save a buck or two...some ppl dont crap out money like other here so they call our car "civics" which they probably had back in the day..if u want to wash it out kool try it out and let everyone else know how it came out. some of us have other ways to use our money
Old 08-21-2007, 01:37 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Nobody is ridiculing here. Something obviously tells me that you have never seen the filter itself to even come up with such idea. Saving money is all good, but you just can't do it here. I think that if you actually held the filter you would quickly see how fragile this thing is. Saving money by shopping around for new tires or getting a discount on those another way is a right thing to do, but washing condoms because its possible doesn't make sense.

The above comment goes without attitude of sarcasm. I say it like I see it.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:42 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by MiamiBlackMax
i agree w/ u WSU...here all the do is call you out when u try to save a buck or two...some ppl dont crap out money like other here so they call our car "civics" which they probably had back in the day..if u want to wash it out kool try it out and let everyone else know how it came out. some of us have other ways to use our money
I totally disagree.

Lots of users here try different things with their maxies and get a lot of credits. Some ideas are out of whack and some are the best simple things that can be done. Either way either positive or negative feedback follows and you have to be able to accept it. If you set your mind to only accept positive comments then seeing someting negative would think one has an attitute and is trying to put you down, no that is not the case.

And no, I drove a Grand Cherokee before. Yes, I switched to a Maxie to save coin on gas because I don't crap money out.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I totally disagree.

Lots of users here try different things with their maxies and get a lot of credits. Some ideas are out of whack and some are the best simple things that can be done. Either way either positive or negative feedback follows and you have to be able to accept it. If you set your mind to only accept positive comments then seeing someting negative would think one has an attitute and is trying to put you down, no that is not the case.

And no, I drove a Grand Cherokee before. Yes, I switched to a Maxie to save coin on gas because I don't crap money out.
With all of that said, xoomer, let me be the first to say:

You're an @ss!

lol, we've been in arguments before. I think people mistake your "constructive criticism" for sarcasm and such because you are just so blatant with what you say. Which from reading your posts I've learned to accept .. however, you must admit that people here on the 'big org' are overly sure of themselves most of the time, that along with being hot headed creates a horrible advice-giving-combination .. *most of the time*

By the way, this is all said neutrally, I take no sides in this argument!
Old 08-21-2007, 02:52 PM

Sorry guys, just spend the $10 and get a new one. I posted the link above.

It just sound so cheap. Like rinsing out paper towels. I'm not trying to put anyone down but I don't know. For me waiting for a $10-15 dollar filter (replaced even every 6months) to dry is not worth it, besides that, the filters are a little on the delicate side. I don't know how well they would hold up.