6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Headlight Condensation ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:49 PM

Headlight Condensation ???

Anyone know where i can go or send my headlight out to be repaired, apparently i started to get condensation in my right headlight when i got my hid's installed and i just recently got the angel eye set up done by customlightz...and i thought that maybe that problem would have been resolved during the process but it wasnt,, so im asking if anyone else had the same problem and if so what did you do to correct it,,, and information would be really appreciated...
Thanks....
Old 06-23-2007, 06:54 AM

I have the same problem when I installed the conversion kit. Not really much you can do.... One of the headlights has gotten better over time, but still has the condensation.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Learning English...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t+Condensation

Hope this helps
Old 06-26-2007, 01:03 PM

After installing the HID conversion kit, I had serious condensation for about 3 weeks. I noticed today, ALL GONE!!!!!!! Victory for the good guys.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:32 PM
SickSE

Yea, those conversion kits are definetly gonna cause condensation. I had the same problem. The condensation will come back, if its there once, it will come back. I wound up buying HID headlamps so there is no seal problem. $400, but a job done right.

Alex

Old 06-26-2007, 05:18 PM

I sealed up the hole that I had to make twice after the condensation went away... Hopefully it won't return.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM

yeah, im gonna try to get it fixed this week, so hopefully i don't have to see this anymore....
Old 06-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow thats really bad condensation
Old 03-29-2008, 07:52 AM

I know it has been a while since anyone has repsonded to this post but I just recently had an aftermarket HID kit installed in my 6th generation and I have a little bit of condensation now. I have noticed over the past week or so that the left light was flickering a little like it was loose. Well after I get a car wash yesterday the left headlight now has condensation.

What can be done about this?

Should I just take headlight out, let dry and re-seal to make sure there are no leaks?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:13 AM

It's that round rubber seal that the HID bulbs are connected to if you had to cut that plastic peace on your headlight housing bigger then thats what the problem is you need to seal that i had the same issue
Old 03-29-2008, 08:37 AM

Will it do this if I replace the stock fogs with HID? Or it's only with the main beam?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:14 AM

Lovemycar,

I dont believe that my HID kit had the rubber seal but I do know what you are talking about as I have seen these are my other cars that I have done this to.

What do you recommend to do as far as getting rid of the condensation first and then worrying about the seal?

I just spoke with the shop that installed them and they said they should be able to take care of it but I wanted to go in there with an educated response on what i want them to do so I don't have to deal with this problem again in the future.

Like I said I am almost positive that this kit did not have rubber seal so any other ideas on what/where would be causing moisture to get in?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 03:11 PM

I have condensation as well from opening my headlights to do the angel eyes.

I have tried a reseal once but still have it. I bought some silicone sealant at Advanced Auto and will attempt another reseal.

Will post results.

Also my headlight stopped working on the side with condensation (after condensation appeared). My guess is it got wet and blew. I opened it up and it looks physically ok. I'm going to try to switch the headlights to see if its the bulb or something else...

Joshua
Old 03-30-2008, 02:56 AM

WOW f#ck

i did the hid conversion to mine and i dont get condensation... either your not putting the covers back on properly (if they are the same as aus spec) or whe ever is installing them is bloody dodgy as....

some advice boys!!!

take the covers off (at the back where the bulb goes) when its not raining and leave them off (go for a drive even) and dry out your head lights that water is only going to make the chrome fade and dull in the headlights, absolutly no good.....
Old 03-30-2008, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Agent R31
WOW f#ck

i did the hid conversion to mine and i dont get condensation... either your not putting the covers back on properly (if they are the same as aus spec) or whe ever is installing them is bloody dodgy as....

some advice boys!!!

take the covers off (at the back where the bulb goes) when its not raining and leave them off (go for a drive even) and dry out your head lights that water is only going to make the chrome fade and dull in the headlights, absolutly no good.....
I completely opened my headlights (baked them) and didn't get a good reseal. I'll be repairing shortly.

Joshua
Old 04-01-2008, 06:44 PM
M&M

Wouldn't you have to get the moisture out of the headlight first before you seal it up again?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:33 PM

Not sure if this was said before:

You can always try taking ur headlight off and filling it with water to see if you can immediately determine if there's any leaks/holes ect.. Try to give it a real close inspection for cracks (hairline) also. If that is your problem then use some sealent to seal the hole. If not make sure that the aftermarket lights were installed with proper insulation and padding to eliminate moisture that would build up in ur lights.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by M&M
Wouldn't you have to get the moisture out of the headlight first before you seal it up again?
I would say it depends on how much condensation you have inside the headlight. I had a little bit of condensation on mine after installing an HID kit, sealed it up the first time - didn't work - sealed it up a second time real good and the condensation dried up after a couple of weeks.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 PM

sorry to bring back up an old thread but now im in the same predicament with my drivers side headlight...

wat do i do?! i took it back to the shop twice and the said they did all they could n this is very ugly on my car...

im actually thinking about getting a new headlight all together.. im lookin for a cheaper alternative idk if it was the kit or the bulb because i have an 07 so the bulb size is 9012 and they dont make hid kits in that size so i had to use i think it was a 9006 kit ..

Old 11-14-2010, 03:03 PM
SuPeRmOd

can't you remove it and dry it out somehow? In a fully heated room maybe?

thankfully I never had any after my fog HID conversion, but I also cut the holes for an exact fit with my HID seals.
Does this happen just from bad re-sealing after opening and poor seals for HID conversions...
or maybe you guys have them apart in poor environments allowing moisture in. I thought the white packs would help or maybe they get ruined when baking?
I plan to paint mine in the spring, but very curious why some get such bad moisture. I assume you need to do it during dry (non-rainy or humid) days?

maybe cook them at a low temp to dry them out without opening. then place some silica gel packs in them while they cool?

Last edited by NismoMax80; 11-14-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:14 PM
SuPeRmOd

according to this vid, likely poor re-seals after opening and bad/missing rubber boots for HID conversions.
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-pr...lights-166345/

I'm going to add extra sealant after painting and re-sealing mine. might even seal my HID boots just in case.

Like I said, I would bake them at low heat to dry them out, clamp them in a dry warm room and extra seal everything up. unless in the south/west, not any hot sunny days left to just sit out in the sun. still have to remove the bulbs either way to let the moisture escape.

Last edited by NismoMax80; 11-14-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:37 PM

If you have moisture already in the headlights than what you can do is remove all the lights and harness then put it in a 250 degree oven for 10 min. This should dry everything up.

Then you can use RTV silicone sealant and put it around the rubber grommet. Make sure that you let it cure for 24 hrs. That's if all else fails

Hope that helps
Old 11-14-2010, 05:45 PM

Just bake them (215 degrees for ~15 min), pull them apart, clean them, bake them again, quickly reassemble them while still warm, add some extra silicone around the seam, and reinstall.

I've baked mine apart like 6 times and this is what I did. Not hard.