6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Extended Warranty: How to get best price?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Extended Warranty: How to get best price?

My '06 has 16k on the ODO. I want an extended warranty to 100k miles. I've made my decision, and yes you can say this is just for piece of mind.

I want the Nissan warranty and want the one that covers everything the B2B warranty covers (i.e., lists the stuff it doesn't cover, rather than what it covers) .

How do I go about getting the best price? What do you think I should pay? Does anyone have any ideas of a particular dealer to get it from over the internet? I assume I can get it from any Nissan dealer in the U.S. and still use it at the dealer where I bought my vehicle, right?

Any hints, thoughts, or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:40 PM

just start emailing all Nissan dealers for the prices and go with the lowest, no need to ever step foot in a dealer just go with the lowest price
Old 06-01-2007, 06:50 PM

I got mine a few weeks ago from a local dealer. Picked up the phone, called around, kept telling the finance manager the best price I had to that point.

I ended up doing pretty well going that route. Mine was the gold preferred (whatever their top one is) 5 yr, 100k for $1280. But read the fine print, there is a lot that it does not cover (ie struts), and many other things.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:51 PM

I got my used Maxima at another dealership, not Nissan. They offered me a different one, Advantage Preferred Coverage from Protective. It covers a lot of items other warranties don't cover, for me the ideal one I wanted/needed.

Since I researched a lot before getting my car, I found one I liked from Warranty Direct, it also covers a lot of items other warranties don't cover and it's worth it for the price.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:15 PM

I won't buy any extended warranty that isn't FROM THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER. Several years ago I bought a new Explorer at a Ford dealer and got a six-year, 72,000-mile extended warranty that supposedly covered "everything bumper-to-bumper except normal wear items like brake pads, belts, hoses." Four years and 40,000 miles later, a pulley went bad. When I took it to the dealer, I found out that the warranty I had bought wasn't a "Factory" warranty and that the warranty company wouldn't cover the pulley. Luckily, after a little complaining, the dealer decided they would take care of it.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:49 AM

just a heads up...

I had to repair my A/C after noticing that it wasnt blowing as cold or fast. When looking at the bill, it would have been over 200.00 for the repair. Since i have the extended 100K warranty, all i had to pay was $50.

I am at 38K miles and still have a long way to go. I paid 1800.00 for the warranty. So i think the extended warranty wiill come in handy.

Better safe then sorry.

***also 0n a side note....

Most of us do upgrades on our cars. so having a warranty that covers most upgradeable parts doesnt make sense to some of us. Especially if bolt-ons are easy to install and remove.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:23 AM

i have used Wynn's Warentee on my previous cars and they were pretty good about paying out.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
just a heads up...

I had to repair my A/C after noticing that it wasnt blowing as cold or fast. When looking at the bill, it would have been over 200.00 for the repair. Since i have the extended 100K warranty, all i had to pay was $50.

I am at 38K miles and still have a long way to go. I paid 1800.00 for the warranty. So i think the extended warranty wiill come in handy.

Better safe then sorry.

***also 0n a side note....

Most of us do upgrades on our cars. so having a warranty that covers most upgradeable parts doesnt make sense to some of us. Especially if bolt-ons are easy to install and remove.
is that 7 years 100k
Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 PM

ive been asking myself this since the first day but since i do upgrades i dunno to get it or not...its my first new car (only had 8 miles on it) but i already have the springs to drop it, nismo intake, upgraded HID's, headunit, and system...just waiting for those headers...so i dont want to get the warranty and then not have anything covered...so what would you guys recommend
Old 06-05-2007, 06:23 AM

With alot of mods done to your car your pretty much screwed with an extended warrantee. I had a set of custom rims and a K&N cone air filter on my Lincoln LS and they will come up with every excuse under the sun not to fix anything because of those two things, and it goes down in their system for any future repairs even if you put it back to original.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by JoeA04Maxima
With alot of mods done to your car your pretty much screwed with an extended warrantee. I had a set of custom rims and a K&N cone air filter on my Lincoln LS and they will come up with every excuse under the sun not to fix anything because of those two things, and it goes down in their system for any future repairs even if you put it back to original.
for real i had the nismo intake in and next time i went in the guy was like was it done here and i said " yes last time i was here gave the guy a few bucks to do" so i know that went into the records
Old 06-11-2007, 08:00 PM

ive been wantin to get that extended warranty as well.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:58 PM

I bought a 100k mile warrenty from the dealership i bought my car from. Its a 3rd party warrenty that covers more than the nissan warrenty and includes free rental, 0$ deductable, and free road side service. The company is called Preferred Warranties Inc. 1-800-334-4841. It cost $1020 and i dont have to take it to a Stealership to get my car fixed.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:29 PM

I hope you read all the fine prints because it sounds like you got a pretty good deal. One have to be carefull with some 3rd party warranties because i've seen customers come in with 3rd party warranties and when we call up to put claims in you would be supprise with the amount of things that aren't covered, ex some don't cover your sales tax,some dont cover your diagnoises fee and things like that. A lot of people look for the common things like rentals and stuff but don't even know of cases like warranty companies not covering your sales tax. All in all people need to be very careful when buying warranties especially from 3rd parties. Sorry for being so long but i just wanted to put that out there.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:59 AM

Smartautowarranty.com

Haven't had a claim yet, hope not to ever have one.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by fcoral 05
I hope you read all the fine prints because it sounds like you got a pretty good deal. One have to be carefull with some 3rd party warranties because i've seen customers come in with 3rd party warranties and when we call up to put claims in you would be supprise with the amount of things that aren't covered, ex some don't cover your sales tax,some dont cover your diagnoises fee and things like that. A lot of people look for the common things like rentals and stuff but don't even know of cases like warranty companies not covering your sales tax. All in all people need to be very careful when buying warranties especially from 3rd parties. Sorry for being so long but i just wanted to put that out there.
I was just at the Nissan dealer talking with the service writer about my 4Runner and he told me it was just so much better to get the manufactures warranty cause aftermarket companies want to debate hourly rates, use non OEM parts which may or man not fit, so much easier to go OEM when something goes wrong
Old 07-02-2007, 06:34 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I bought the 5 years 75k with the car and already had things done on the car. The AC compressor failed at like 46K, engine mounts and belts were also changed. I wouldn't buy another car without one.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Here's what I did....after I bought my 2004 (without the warranty from my stealership), I called every Nissan dealership in the tri-county area. Here's what I said:

Hello Mr. Dealership, I am buying a Nissan Extended Warranty and I am calling every dealership in the tri-county area today. Please give me your lowest price for a 72 mo/75,000 extended warranty. If you are the winner, I will be calling you back by the end of the day.

At the end of the day, I got the Gold for $752. Some of the quotes I got were nearly double that. Moral of the story -- shop around to many dealerships because that price is very negotiable.