6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Quick Exhast Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:22 PM

Quick Exhast Question

got a stock exhast on a 2005 maxima, ends up one of my 4 pipes is pretty messed up and looks a lot lower than the others, dont really feel like spending $800 on a new exhast system, can i just buy a universal muffler from like magnaflows and put those on ? also will it sound any different or pretty much the same ?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Do what I did... buy four quality exhaust tips. Take'em to Midas or something, and ask them to cut the old exhaust tips and weld the new ones in. After welding is done, paint the muffler black and it is done. Unless you look underneath the car no 1 can even notice you only changed the exhaust tips....

This will make sure you don't loose that OEM sound.
I remember spending almost nothing on this mod.... $80 or something.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:20 PM

rather keep it chrome / silver-ish ... what mufflers exhast tips did you buy ?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:21 PM

and does it sound any different once you change the tips or its the same ?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:04 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

the tips have nothing to do with sound in this case.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by larsim
Do what I did... buy four quality exhaust tips. Take'em to Midas or something, and ask them to cut the old exhaust tips and weld the new ones in. After welding is done, paint the muffler black and it is done. Unless you look underneath the car no 1 can even notice you only changed the exhaust tips....

This will make sure you don't loose that OEM sound.
I remember spending almost nothing on this mod.... $80 or something.
Do you have any pics of this?
Old 04-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Originally Posted by Ankit69
rather keep it chrome / silver-ish ... what mufflers exhast tips did you buy ?
For some reason I can't post attachments on this site. See for yourself.... http://larsim.photosite.com/Larsim/?...w=true&photo=1

Pics 18 and 29 gives you a good view of the tips I got. I almost bought some of the exhaust systems that some guys in the forum have, but I was scared to get something too loud and regret.
As for the sound, like someone here already said... it does not change from OEM.

If you do this, just make sure you get tips with the right length & width....
Old 04-28-2007, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ankit69
got a stock exhast on a 2005 maxima, ends up one of my 4 pipes is pretty messed up and looks a lot lower than the others, dont really feel like spending $800 on a new exhast system, can i just buy a universal muffler from like magnaflows and put those on ? also will it sound any different or pretty much the same ?
I noticed that on my exhaust, the right side is considerably lower than the left.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Stevied23
I noticed that on my exhaust, the right side is considerably lower than the left.
This was/is a known problem, and if you are under the 36K mile warranty still the dealer should take care of it. Several here have done that.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:56 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

For some reason I can't post attachments on this site. See for yourself.... http://larsim.photosite.com/Larsim/?...w=true&photo=1

Pics 18 and 29 gives you a good view of the tips I got. I almost bought some of the exhaust systems that some guys in the forum have, but I was scared to get something too loud and regret.
As for the sound, like someone here already said... it does not change from OEM.

A bit thin for my taste but if one desires to keep OEM exhaust, its an idea.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:00 PM

This was the first problem I noticed when the '04s began arriving on dealer's lots in March of '03, and the first 6th gen problem 'watchit' I ever posted on the ORG. For the first few months of production, more cars arrived with crooked tailpipes than with straight ones.

At the time, dealers could go under the car and adjust the pipes until they looked fine. As Monotaur said, this should have immediately been done under warranty to every Maxima that needed it.

I am surprised crooked tailpipes were still a problem on an '05. The problem had pretty much disappeared by fall of '04. That the problem was not automatically fixed by the dealer when your '05 arrived on his lot is not a good statement about your dealer.

This car is still under warranty, and, unless the rear of this vehicle has been in some sort of accident, Nissan is fully responsible for making the tailpipes straight.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:01 PM
GrandPa

Nice shots of your ride.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:03 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
This was the first problem I noticed when the '04s began arriving on dealer's lots in March of '03, and the first 6th gen problem 'watchit' I ever posted on the ORG. For the first few months of production, more cars arrived with crooked tailpipes than with straight ones.

At the time, dealers could go under the car and adjust the pipes until they looked fine. As Monotaur said, this should have immediately been done under warranty to every Maxima that needed it.

I am surprised crooked tailpipes were still a problem on an '05. The problem had pretty much disappeared by fall of '04. That the problem was not automatically fixed by the dealer when your '05 arrived on his lot is not a good statement about your dealer.

This car is still under warranty, and, unless the rear of this vehicle has been in some sort of accident, Nissan is fully responsible for making the tailpipes straight.
The first week I had the car one of the crome tailpipes fell off. They tried to charge me for a new one. I gave them hell and didn't pay.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:21 AM

what exactly do they have to do at the dealership to correct the problem of a tailpipe that hangs lower?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:13 PM

Stevie - I have forgotten exactly how the problem was corrected, partly because my car did not need the adjustment, and partly because senility is a fact of life for me now. But I do recall that some parts of the exhaust had to be removed and repositioned. Someone here who had it done will remember.

Anyone?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:49 AM

I had a similar problem with my exhaust system but what happened to me i dont think had happen to no one else in here, my exhaust system broke while i was driving on the beltway so raplace the exhaust with hot shot headers and a 12" resonator a custom cat-back system and HKS mufflers, here is a link so you can see how it looks.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa80/landoymemo/
Old 05-02-2007, 09:31 PM

I may get it corrected, It's not a huge deal and I don't know if anyone else notices but I do and it bugs me!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:51 PM

Stevie - Folks driving ahead of you don't even see your car, but folks driving behind you will be looking right at the rear of your car. For miles and miles. Many will notice a tailpipe misalignment, because there isn't much else that they can look at while following you. A pipe misalignment would bug me too. You are wise to get this corrected under warranty.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:07 PM

Is there anything in particular I need to do when calling the dealership about the problem? Do I just simply explain that the right side exhaust is misaligned and they should fix that under the manufacturers warranty??
Old 05-03-2007, 07:21 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

yep, tell them it came crooked from the factory and they should take care of it and correct the problem that should have been corrected at the time the dealer sold the car.