6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Phenolic Spacer Development for VQ35s

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:50 PM

I don't think making the runners a few mm's longer would do anything for the performance. The Kinetix has a huge plenum and smoother designed runners. I believe the spacer is more of an insulator to the heat of the engine going to the runners and plenum. As long as the lower ports are the same size as the holes in the spacer I don't see porting doing anything. If they were smaller then opening them up would be good for smooth flow. If you were to have your heads ported then sure, port match everything and have the lower manifold extrude honed.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:51 PM

chernmax, got some details on how do to that to the stock IM? i remember back on my civic, i just used a grinder to shine it up and then paint it. yours turned out very nicely.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
chernmax, got some details on how do to that to the stock IM? i remember back on my civic, i just used a grinder to shine it up and then paint it. yours turned out very nicely.
The polished IM you see in the picture was stock at first until I broke out my Dremel, Sand Paper, and polishing solution. After 100 hrs+ of hand labor produced the results you see above. My bro Ramberg helped me because he purchased a new IM, had it polished (he was the first), mailed me his unpolished one and that's the one I ported and polished and then I sent him back mine after the swap. The hook up he gave me allowed me to keep my car in service and gave me the time to do a quality job...
Old 04-17-2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
The polished IM you see in the picture was stock at first until I broke out my Dremel, Sand Paper, and polishing solution. After 100 hrs+ of hand labor produced the results you see above. My bro Ramberg helped me because he purchased a new IM, had it polished (he was the first), mailed me his unpolished one and that's the one I ported and polished and then I sent him back mine after the swap. The hook up he gave me allowed me to keep my car in service and gave me the time to do a quality job...
Did you say bro? as in Brother or just the term Bro ?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
Did you say bro? as in Brother or just the term Bro ?
Bro as in brother...
Old 04-17-2007, 09:50 PM

Bro as in brother...

Holy crap , I never knew that !!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:13 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Here's a picture of my 04Max Manifold EGR when I took my manifold off for polishing...
I've seen that picture. I am only concerned about what the tube looks like. We've already determined that it's a solid tube.

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I have a number of questions (sorry if they were answered in other posts):
1. I guess the basic reason that hp is increased is due to reduction of intake temperature, correct?
2. Is there any gain due to the slight increases in volume from the added space?
3. Isn't a large problem of intake temperature due to the fact that the intake body sits right above the firewall exhaust manifold? Would exterior insulation assist in this problem?
4. Would porting the lower intake manifold be helpful, especially in my case where I have the Kinetix intake manifold?
1) Yes, the entire reason for these spacers is to prevent heat from transferring to the intake manifolds, which yields more power.
2) Yes, I believe there is also a slight gain due to the increase in intake runner length.
3) The location of the manifold has little to do with how hot it gets. The main reason it gets hot is b/c it's connected straight to the heads of the motor, which get VERY hot. If you isolate this, then you get cooler temps. Exterior insulation would help VERY little. It's always a good thing to prevent ambient heat from heating other components within the engine bay. Take the turbine of a turbocharger for instance, having a heat shield around that will prevent wires, hoses, and other components from overheating. That's why most stock exhaust manifolds have some sort of heat shielding around them.
4) The only way that porting the LIM would be beneficial in your case is if the ports on the Kinetix UIM are larger and the LIM ports needs to be matched. But if your ports are already matched, then doing port work on the LIM will not yield any gains.

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Off topic...has anyone discussed bypassing the coolant hose at the throttle body?
The 3.5L Maxima spacer kit already comes with a throttle body coolant bypass. Actually, coolant flows through the Elbow, not the TB. My kit already comes with a fitting that makes bypassing the coolant very easy!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:30 AM

Holy crap , I never knew that !!
Sorry OT, Yeah it's a term I picked up growing up in NYC, its actually a respectful term that's like saying "Thanks Brother (like a fraternity)...
Old 04-18-2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I've seen that picture. I am only concerned about what the tube looks like. We've already determined that it's a solid tube.
I actually posted that for other members so they get a better perspective of what you are really describing. I'm actually going to hold off one my Dyno tuning until I get my spacer. I'm pretty excited about your work and the quality you're putting into it. Been waiting 3+ years for someone to do this for the 6th Gen, Thanks bro...
Old 04-18-2007, 10:10 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I actually posted that for other members so they get a better perspective of what you are really describing. I'm actually going to hold off one my Dyno tuning until I get my spacer. I'm pretty excited about your work and the quality you're putting into it. Been waiting 3+ years for someone to do this for the 6th Gen, Thanks bro...
Yeah, I figured you were posting that for the other readers.

I really appreciate everyone's support and patience. You will not be disappointed with the quality of my product or my customer service. That is something I can guarantee!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Aaron, any idea when the non EGR spacers will be available? Ill be in for one.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:56 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Aaron, any idea when the non EGR spacers will be available? Ill be in for one.
The non EGR spacers for the 5.5 gen MIGHT be available this weekend. Please refer to the large 5th gen thread for more details.

The 6th gen spacers are going to be a little while longer. I first need to get a 6th gen test vehicle. That search process will start within the next week since the 5.5 gen spacers are about ready for sale.

Also, why are you in for the non EGR spacers? Doesn't your car have an EGR system?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:26 PM

The non EGR spacers for the 5.5 gen MIGHT be available this weekend. Please refer to the large 5th gen thread for more details.

The 6th gen spacers are going to be a little while longer. I first need to get a 6th gen test vehicle. That search process will start within the next week since the 5.5 gen spacers are about ready for sale.

Also, why are you in for the non EGR spacers? Doesn't your car have an EGR system?

I belive Deus has the Kinetix manifold and it came with a flex tubing already ?
I dunno thats just my guess but

SOMEONE with a 6th Gen meet up with Aaron ASAP. I need these like ASAP !
Old 04-19-2007, 08:54 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I see. Makes sense.

But, don't worry. I will get these rolling as soon as humanly possible.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:10 AM

I assume the 5.5 gen spacer will fit my car since EGR isnt a factor. If thats the case, then I can be ur test car.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:22 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I assume the 5.5 gen spacer will fit my car since EGR isnt a factor. If thats the case, then I can be ur test car.
I haven't tested these spacers on the 6th gen yet. But they should fit no problem. If for some reason it doesn't fit, I will refund all your money. And you'll have to wait for the 6th gen kit to come out.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:48 PM

I'm just waiting on his PM/email, and I'll be at his shop.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:52 AM

It looks like you can now buy the spacer for the VQ35DE, but not with our EGR part. I'm getting anxious...
Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hilbe
It looks like you can now buy the spacer for the VQ35DE, but not with our EGR part. I'm getting anxious...
exactly. it shouldn't be long.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:30 AM

first step coming this Thursday... probably just some measurements and stuff. I'll post (or Aaron will) what we find out.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ritz
first step coming this Thursday... probably just some measurements and stuff. I'll post (or Aaron will) what we find out.
Awesome !!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Yeap, me and Ritz are meeting to design the 6th gen spacer kit. I will come up with an EGR tube design so that you will be able to install the same kit the 5.5 gen guys have. I also plan to test fit the 5.5 gen spacers on the 6th gen to confirm that everything matches up perfectly and make sure there aren't any clearance or other fitment issues. Other than that, it should be a speedy release since the 5.5 gen spacers are already designed and should bolt right up to the 6th gen.

In fact, I have a 6th gen vehicle right now that will install the 5.5 gen spacers soon. He doesn't have the EGR problem that you guys do since he has the Kinetix IM. So, I should have some butt dyno real world results before I even get a chance to test the spacers myself.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Newbie just Registered

Ritz, do you have FSTB?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by RHMax
Ritz, do you have FSTB?
I have found out that ever FSTB are designed at different heights. So, some will fit with the spacers, some won't. I know washers can be installed under the plate in order to raise it up slightly. There was plenty of hood clearance to do this on the 5.5 gen. But I don't know about the 6th gen.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:29 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

when the FSTB came out, some were worried it will hit the intake manifold, putting washers was one of my suggestions to those members, but they basicly sworn that theres not enough room for that.

I dunno how true that is.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:18 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
when the FSTB came out, some were worried it will hit the intake manifold, putting washers was one of my suggestions to those members, but they basicly sworn that theres not enough room for that.

I dunno how true that is.
I see. I will make sure I use extra care when looking at possible hood clearance issues.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:41 PM

So hows the 6th Gen spacer coming???
Old 04-25-2007, 12:48 PM
NWP Engineering.com

So hows the 6th Gen spacer coming???
I know it's hard to read sometimes when there is so much discussion. But me and Ritz are meeting tomorrow in order to design the 6th gen kit entirely. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:03 PM

I know it's hard to read sometimes when there is so much discussion. But me and Ritz are meeting tomorrow in order to design the 6th gen kit entirely. I'll keep you guys posted.
You the Man!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 05:32 AM

no FSTB yet... waiting for taz's to be completed.. would be nice to test it with one on there though.. oh well..
Old 04-26-2007, 12:09 PM

first steps of testing went extremely well... it appears the EGR hose will NOT need modification, so the setup that Aaron has for the 5.5gen max will work for ours as well. I'll probably be putting the whole thing in this weekend and posting final results before he starts selling them for the 6th gen.

although, it's only 3 in the afternoon now.... I'm getting antsy... it might be in before nightfall.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Newbie just Registered

no FSTB yet... waiting for taz's to be completed.. would be nice to test it with one on there though.. oh well..
I'm just curious about the clearance issue.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:23 PM

cool, lets get this done and sold.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
I'm just curious about the clearance issue.
yeah.. it appeared to still have a bit of clearance with the one large spacer in place... it looks like it'll still fit, but I'll do whatever testing I can after I get these spacers in to see how much room is under there.

it raises it 3/16" if that helps... if you have an STB, go ahead and see how much room is under there.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:15 PM

Stealership installed mods!

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been out of town this past weekend.

I don't think the Nissan dealership will install this modification. I don't think they will install ANY aftermarket mod not made and approved by them.

I can't comment on the warranty. That is something you will have to contact Nissan about. Hopefully, others can chime in about how their Nissan warranty has treated them in the past.

I guess we're lucky up here in Montreal, Canada...
My stealership installed the following items: AEM CAI, Front Strut bar, Underdrive pulley, aftermarket rotors and pads, 4 Eibach Prokit 1 lowering springs and even my grille and they give us 10% off all aftermarket installations!
Old 04-26-2007, 04:46 PM

By the way will car run lean with this spacer mod and will it require a SAFC and tuning to run properly?
Old 04-26-2007, 07:50 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by xorbitman
By the way will car run lean with this spacer mod and will it require a SAFC and tuning to run properly?
Not at all. I have tested these spacers with a wideband o2 sensor. All you are doing in lengthening the intake runners and cooling down the intake manifold. You are not drastically increasing airflow. With my extreme testing, my AFR did not change AT ALL.

So, you do not need to do a retune or get a SAFC when installing these spacers. It's a simple bolt on mod.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:54 PM
NWP Engineering.com

first steps of testing went extremely well... it appears the EGR hose will NOT need modification, so the setup that Aaron has for the 5.5gen max will work for ours as well. I'll probably be putting the whole thing in this weekend and posting final results before he starts selling them for the 6th gen.
That's right! The initial test phase went smoother than expected. We installed the UIM spacer and bolted everything up and the stock EGR tube bolted back in place! In fact, the EGR tube seemed to bolt up easier with the spacer installed! The flange design of the EGR tube really makes for a lot of play.

What this means is the 6th gen community gets a spacer kit for the same exact price as the 5th gens! I was expecting the price to be upwards of $300. But right now, it's expected to be only $225.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:14 PM

i am so ready to buy this! make the GB already, lol!! i wish taz's ftsb was done so ritz and aaron couldve tested it completely. but for the ones that got taz's mmi kit [i did as well] i dont think that there would be too much play in the motor
Old 04-26-2007, 08:16 PM

how do we go about getting a set, I know they ship in a week or so.

Quick Reply: Phenolic Spacer Development for VQ35s