6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

good news

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 03:42 PM

good news

found this on nissannews about the future maxina

10 Questions With Larry Dominique Vice President, Product Planning and Strategy Department, Nissan North America, Inc. December 1, 2006

4. What happens with Maxima now that the 2007 Altima continues to encroach in its territory in terms of performance and available luxury features?

The Maxima brand is a very important model in our lineup. For many generations of consumers, Maxima has personified the true "4-Door Sports Car." With the introduction of the 2002 Altima with both four and six cylinder engine variations, we encroached upon Maxima’s territory for the first time.

The current generation Maxima is a great car and it’s positioned in buyers’ minds above Altima. The next generation Maxima, which is moving towards production, will make the distinction even clearer, embracing Maxima’s sport-sedan heritage to a greater degree. From wheelbase and track to design, there will be no mistaking its sporty and luxurious DNA. It will easily separate itself from Altima and perform its intended flagship role as our sedan icon in the Nissan franchise.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:22 PM

Sounds like the nex gen max will be encroaching on the M35/45.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by MIKEDINERO2000
Sounds like the nex gen max will be encroaching on the M35/45.
Next gen Max will still be on the FWD platform. About 14 more months to go...
Old 01-21-2007, 09:24 AM
SmokinMaxSE

That sounds great. Now that Maxima owners will get what they want, people will continue to cry about the price.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
That sounds great. Now that Maxima owners will get what they want, people will continue to cry about the price.
Could see $40k for fully loaded.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:08 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

$40K loaded and I'll be looking around for different choices.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:14 PM

Nissan has always been associated with 'more bang for the buck'. If folks do not think the 7th gen Maxima is more 'bang for the buck', it will not sell.

Nissan knows this. I will almost guarantee there will be at least a base (but still very well appointed) 7th gen Maxima available for under $35K, and a very nicely loaded one for under $39K. I would also bet many will consider that a good price for the true flagship car Nissan is getting ready to produce.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:11 AM

I can't wait to see it!

Light, do you think they've done away with the manual permanently?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:19 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

I hope I'm wrong, but I think that the number of manual Max's - already small by automotive standards - is not high enough for Nissan to justify designing, certifying, building and stocking another powertrain. Pushing the Max upmarket doesn't help the situation, either. Its a sad truth of the mass production automotive biz, especially with a cost cutting maniac like Carlos Ghosn at the helm.

I was hoping to have my hip replaced and be ready for another manual tranny by the time my '07 lease was up, but I don't give it a better than 10% chance that the next gen Max will offer that option to me.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:35 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Them changing the wheelbase could suggest that they're going to RWD.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by jcalabria
I hope I'm wrong, but I think that the number of manual Max's - already small by automotive standards - is not high enough for Nissan to justify designing, certifying, building and stocking another powertrain. Pushing the Max upmarket doesn't help the situation, either. Its a sad truth of the mass production automotive biz, especially with a cost cutting maniac like Carlos Ghosn at the helm.

I was hoping to have my hip replaced and be ready for another manual tranny by the time my '07 lease was up, but I don't give it a better than 10% chance that the next gen Max will offer that option to me.
They may still offer a 6 speed trans for the SE, maybe a SE-R Max???!!! Acura is keeping the 6 speed trans for only the 'S' Type TL. Maybe Nissan will try to match it?? Not that I care, I love the 5 speed auto I have now. Maybe I would have (if I were a Nissan Engineer) put in a 6 or 7 speed auto in the new 2009 model rather than the CVT.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Them changing the wheelbase could suggest that they're going to RWD.
I'd bet on AWD before RWD, especially when it will be based on the same platform as the new Altima.

As far as trany, most likely CVT only; maybe more agressive program.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:17 PM

How bout a v8 option......

Thats the only way it would hit 40g.

DOUBT it would b that much fully.

I'll def trade up for a v8.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Omarvelous

I highly doubt that any Japanesse car manufacturer will ever produce a V8. They have had no problems with their 4 and 6 cylinder engines, therefore making no reason to upgrade to 8 cylinders.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
I highly doubt that any Japanesse car manufacturer will ever produce a V8. They have had no problems with their 4 and 6 cylinder engines, therefore making no reason to upgrade to 8 cylinders.
Wait what did you say?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I think they wouldn't go for that because they want to squeeze every mile per gallon out of the engine, hence the switch to CVT in the first place.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:35 PM

305hp 2008 Max?

Given the '07 Lexus IS350 has 305hp 3.5L V6 and the new BMW 5 series (535) will have 300+ hp, I can't imagine nissan would make an '08 Max with less than 300hp. Even the current Hyundai Azura has 265hp.

As far as the price, an IS350 will set you back about $40K ($46K w/nav). If the '08 gets a 6spd auto and about 305+hp, the Max will still be the best bang for your buck (even for $36K).

See ya'll at the Chicago Auto Show!
D.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
$40K loaded and I'll be looking around for different choices.
It is spelled ALTIMA.

It certainly does not look like Nissan will go back to a manual trannie in the Max (not even a 10% chance IMHO). This will cut out a few customers (like me), but Nissan no longer believes that the 4-Door Sports Car has a manual trannie -- like they did in the past.

The true 4-D SC has become the top of the Altima line (or a 4-door Infiniti).
Old 01-22-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I think they wouldn't go for that because they want to squeeze every mile per gallon out of the engine, hence the switch to CVT in the first place.
Yea, I agree.

The VQ has a lot of room to spare.

I can see AWD b4 RWD on the max. I don't see RWD ever on the max....who knows.

But it's the exterior I can't wait to see....
Old 01-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so many errors in this thread I don't know where to start.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:02 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
so many errors in this thread I don't know where to start.
No right or wrong... its all conjecture and wishful thinking/hoping. We probably have 15 more months of this to keep us occupied.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:00 PM

Yea, I agree.

The VQ has a lot of room to spare.

I can see AWD b4 RWD on the max. I don't see RWD ever on the max....who knows.

But it's the exterior I can't wait to see....
I'm going to guess that they'll use a modified VQ35HR engine in the 2009 Maxima, that will match (or beat) the Lexus IS350's performance. If they do that, for them to continue use of the same CVT that they use now though may require some engineering as some think that the current CVT is near the limit as far as torque goes. Maybe they'll improve this (or some other) CVT design to handle more torque? Or offer another tranny option?

I too think that we'll be seeing AWD for the 7th gen. They've got to have something other than just a new exterior to continue to attract customers.

Oh, and yeah, the first year Maxima was a RWD car, with an option for a diesel I think. So, never say never.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:48 PM

No right or wrong... its all conjecture and wishful thinking/hoping. We probably have 15 more months of this to keep us occupied.
I agree provided you also include personal opinions in this list.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:54 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
It is spelled ALTIMA.

It certainly does not look like Nissan will go back to a manual trannie in the Max (not even a 10% chance IMHO). This will cut out a few customers (like me), but Nissan no longer believes that the 4-Door Sports Car has a manual trannie -- like they did in the past.

The true 4-D SC has become the top of the Altima line (or a 4-door Infiniti).
NO, Its spelled G-3-5
Old 01-23-2007, 12:31 AM

4MySwee - Sorry. Nissan's 4DSC is now the Altima 3.5, which will always have a manual option; 6 speed on the '07 and probably 7 speed with the next gen.

The 7th gen Maxima will be very unlikely to go to a V8. Nissan engineers will have no real problem getting 300 (and more) HP out of the V6. They even have the option of going to a 4.0 V6. There is no reason to even consider a gas guzzling V8.

The 7th gen Maxima will not be RWD. I would feel the trend would be toward AWD, which is probably the best option, all things considered.

The changing of the wheelbase on the 7th gen is to enable the Maxima to be a larger car than the Altima. Nissan is serious about separating the Maxima from the Altima in both power and size. The 7th gen Maxima will have a very roomy and comfortable cabin and measurably more HP than the altima 3.5.

The width of the 7th gen Maxima may be slightly greater, also. This will enable the car to have the wheels further out on the corners, giving greater stability.

Of course things like traction control and an ever-improving stability system will be standard on all future Maximas.

The real question in my mind is whether the 7th gen will continue to have 'sporty' (SE) and 'luxury' (SL) options. If so, we might be thrown a few sporty crumbs with the SE. If no SE equivalent, then the 7th gen will probably effectively end the reign of the Maxima as a 4DSC. But it will still be one heck of a fine vehicle.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:20 AM

This is good news. At least now we know for sure that Nissan isn't getting rid of the Maxima. It would be sweet if they did have a RWD & AWD version. I'm sure there will be a significant power increase...only time will tell.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:47 AM

I'm not talking about the conjecture. I'm referring incorrect information people are spewing about what the max is competing against. They could care less what the IS350 puts out power-wise because the maxima is nowhere near in the same class. In 2009 or even 2008 the competition will be even harsher than it already is, so upping the horsepower isn't going to cut it. They need to keep up with the amenities offered in the near luxury category they're competing in to stay in the race. In 2009 I'm guessing the avalon will get a power bump as well as several more options, so the maxima needs to top or at least match it IMO...And no, the maxima will not be RWD or V8. Plain and simple.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:48 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

I'm not talking about the conjecture. I'm referring incorrect information people are spewing about what the max is competing against. They could care less what the IS350 puts out power-wise because the maxima is nowhere near in the same class. In 2009 or even 2008 the competition will be even harsher than it already is, so upping the horsepower isn't going to cut it. They need to keep up with the amenities offered in the near luxury category they're competing in to stay in the race. In 2009 I'm guessing the avalon will get a power bump as well as several more options, so the maxima needs to top or at least match it IMO...And no, the maxima will not be RWD or V8. Plain and simple.

con•jec•ture \ken-"jek-cher\ n : guess, surmise — con•jec•tur•al \-che-rel\ adj — conjecture vb
(c)2000 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. All rights reserved

I happen to agree 100% with your statements, but other than the fact that the IS is not (currently) the Max's direct competition, they are all textbook examples of conjecture. Educated or not... likely or not... they are all guesses until they actually come true. (Those looking for a V8/RWD Max - well that stuff is definitely in the wishful/hopeful thinking category.)

BTW, although I consider the "IS is not a competitor" statement a fact, it is also a fact that in the past the Max, particularly the SE, has been a lower cost alternative for those people that would find the IS (or BMW) appealing but unattainable.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:55 AM
aka The Doom Ship

If the Maxima is not going to be RWD or not get a V8 then consumers(like me) want to know why. The chassis is certainly big enough for both. The Maxima has so much potential to be high performance out of the factory. It already has the agressive look, I just want the performance to match.

Oh well, maybe I should give up on making a family/grocery carrier fast and just get a fast car. LOL!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Newbie just Registered

...Those looking for a V8/RWD Max
It's called M45.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:03 AM

con•jec•ture \ken-"jek-cher\ n : guess, surmise — con•jec•tur•al \-che-rel\ adj — conjecture vb
(c)2000 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. All rights reserved

I happen to agree 100% with your statements, but other than the fact that the IS is not (currently) the Max's direct competition, they are all textbook examples of conjecture. Educated or not... likely or not... they are all guesses until they actually come true. (Those looking for a V8/RWD Max - well that stuff is definitely in the wishful/hopeful thinking category.)

BTW, although I consider the "IS is not a competitor" statement a fact, it is also a fact that in the past the Max, particularly the SE, has been a lower cost alternative for those people that would find the IS (or BMW) appealing but unattainable.
the max is not, and will not ever become any sort of competitor to an IS. The IS is directed towards cars such as the BMW 3 series and Infiniti G35 with less less interior room, but more of an emphasis on what a sport sedan is actually supposed to be (RWD, shorter wheelbase, generally good around the track) while still offereing a pretty potent amount of luxury. The max clearly is no competition to them and is geared more toward the people that need a comfortable people hauler, and it just happens to be quick (among it's other competitors now..) There is no conjecture about this. It isn't a guess nor is it educated. There is a lot of conjecture in this thread (as you mentioned about my RWD and V8 comment) which I don't agree with either, because this would MAKE the maxima into something it is not, which goes along with the whole argument of what/who the maxima is geared toward.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:04 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by RHMax
It's called M45.
M45 is too big. Also, we shouldn't have to spend damn near 60 grand to get a V8 and RWD from Nissan.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:05 AM

M45 is too big. Also, we shouldn't have to spend damn near 60 grand to get a V8 and RWD from Nissan.
get a titan.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:06 AM

It is beside the point though. Why would you want a V8? To consume more gas? If they wanted to make the maxima run low 13s, they could easily, but that's not what they're trying to do.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:15 AM
aka The Doom Ship

It is beside the point though. Why would you want a V8? To consume more gas? If they wanted to make the maxima run low 13s, they could easily, but that's not what they're trying to do.
Titan, way too big! LOL!

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind the VQ35HR in a RWD config. I wouldn't mind a V8 either. Consider this, the Maxima will never be great on gas because of its size. You want good gas mileage shrink it down to a Sentra and make it hybrid. LOL!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:21 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Exactly what ARE they trying to do? Personally, I read what the VP of Nissan said but the Maxima is going in the opposite direction. We'll see if he changes the course.

Running low 13s is one thing. I'm looking for a more complete car with power AND handling and braking. Personally, I don't drive 1/4 miles in straight lines on a daily basis.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:21 AM

Titan, way too big! LOL!

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind the VQ35HR in a RWD config. I wouldn't mind a V8 either. Consider this, the Maxima will never be great on gas because of its size. You want good gas mileage shrink it down to a Sentra and make it hybrid. LOL!
IMO close to 30 mpg is pretty darn good! It has a lot to do with gearing as well, so in the future when everybody and their grandma has an 8-speed auto with a much more efficient engine (engineers are making more and more efficient engines by the day) even a 300 hp car will easily get >30 mpg. Just look at the C6 Z06. It gets freakin 26 or 27 mpg on the highway out of a 7.0 L 505 hp V8.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:25 AM

Exactly what ARE they trying to do? Personally, I read what the VP of Nissan said but the Maxima is going in the opposite direction. We'll see if he changes the course.

Running low 13s is one thing. I'm looking for a more complete car with power AND handling and braking. Personally, I don't drive 1/4 miles in straight lines on a daily basis.
If that's what you're looking for, than you shouldn't be looking at a maxima. I admit that I knew very little when it came to cars when buying my maxima, and I liked it because it a.) looked nice b.) came in manual transmission c.) was pretty quick, and d.) had some nice options at a low price. But in the whole scheme of things, I would have loved a RWD car just for the sake of, as you menioned, a more "complete" car performance-wise. The maxima will move on to be a luxury car and yes, it will compete well within it's class range, but it will not be a sports car with necessarily "good" handling and braking like everyone wants on top of it being a luxury car. Not even cars like the BMW 7-series can pull that off...they still drive like the big luxo boat they are.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:01 PM
aka The Doom Ship

If that's what you're looking for, than you shouldn't be looking at a maxima. I admit that I knew very little when it came to cars when buying my maxima, and I liked it because it a.) looked nice b.) came in manual transmission c.) was pretty quick, and d.) had some nice options at a low price. But in the whole scheme of things, I would have loved a RWD car just for the sake of, as you menioned, a more "complete" car performance-wise. The maxima will move on to be a luxury car and yes, it will compete well within it's class range, but it will not be a sports car with necessarily "good" handling and braking like everyone wants on top of it being a luxury car. Not even cars like the BMW 7-series can pull that off...they still drive like the big luxo boat they are.
Partially agreed. I'm on my 3rd Maxima so I pretty much know what I was getting in to. After the 5.5th Gens I had, I bought the 6th Gen not only for the power but I thought the independent rear suspension would solve all the handling problems associated with the 5th Gens. I was only partially right. While the IRS did help, the fact that the Max was now far bigger, in weight and in mass, still made for a boat like experience.

I still say BACK THEN(2002-2004) the Maxima was the most bang for the buck. I just want Nissan to step it up once again.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:04 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Oh and, I don't get no where 30 mpg. On a good day I get 20 mpg highway.

Quick Reply: good news