6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Racingline Motor Mounts on Automatics

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Racingline Motor Mounts on Automatics

So I finally tried installing the motor mount Racingline sent me. The good news is that they both appear to fit, the bad news is that the rear one is not readily accessable. The front is straight foward, unbolt, disconnect wire harness, remove, and install. The rear however will not come out without what appears to be removing the transmission. Niether myself nor my neighborhood shop could figure out a way to do it easily. Nissan warranty appears to be 7 hours from what I'm told by the stealership. So unless anyone has a way to get around this it looks like the only time to do this is when installing headers. Here are some pics below of the fun I had this morning.

THE POSITIVE: With just the front mount installed there was an immediate diffference in power response. Instead of the normal engine lag from pedal to power there was just wheel spin. It really made me wish for a hsld, I can only imagine how a second mount would effect the situation. Much more immediate response in every situation, the power just goes to the wheels. Idling at a stop light is a smidge rougher but nothing most people would even notice and if you are doing this chances are your suspension is modded and this pales in comparison to how that effects ride comfort.

Enough rambling, now pics:

Front Mount Installed

Rear Mount Bolt Hitting Transmission
Old 12-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Not for rookies!!

Wow, good stuff.
Thanks for posting.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:54 PM
.org extraordinaire

yeah....... why did you not undoo the two lower bolts and tilt the mount toward the firewall like we did on my car?

Granted i do have the 6sp but we had a simillar access issue on mine.

Kamski
Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 PM

ok can someone clear something about the LSD issue...do our maximas have LSD???
Old 12-12-2006, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by MisterSparkle
ok can someone clear something about the LSD issue...do our maximas have LSD???
No, only 6spds have an option for HSLD. Autos are SOL...

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
yeah....... why did you not undoo the two lower bolts and tilt the mount toward the firewall like we did on my car?

Granted i do have the 6sp but we had a simillar access issue on mine.

Kamski
You can't remove the bolt or twist the mount to clear it. If you look at the pic the bolt is right up against the transmission and there is still a good 1 1/2 inches in the mount with no room to twist, move or otherwise manipulate it. It is impossible to move it towards the firewall. The only solution we could come up with was to cut the bolt, remove the precat, and reinstall the opposite direction. That's alot of work for a motor mount.

So like I said, if your doing headers and the manifolds off already, that's the time to do it. Unless of course your replacing your transmission.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:47 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Just when we thought its going to be an easy one.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:49 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by Nietzsche

THE POSITIVE: With just the front mount installed there was an immediate diffference in power response. Instead of the normal engine lag from pedal to power there was just wheel spin....
Wheel spin????? Last time I checked that wasn't good, can someone explain?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
1. Star car.
2. Put in gear.
3. Tromp down heavily on gas pedal (the one furthest on the left)
4. Power delivered through wheels overcomes available traction = wheel spin

CM.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
1. Star car.
2. Put in gear.

CM.
No, the other left.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Moderator GT-R

Wheel spin > wheel hop.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:04 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
1. Star car.
2. Put in gear.

CM.
Duh...I understand what wheel spin is but thanks anyway.

My question is whether this mod would increase the spin? I used to spin a lot (heavy foot) with my RSA and my BFGoodrich were able to fix it with much better grip.

Would I go back to spinning at nearly every start?
Old 12-12-2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by bluemaxx
No, the other left.

Right, my engineering left. lol
Old 12-12-2006, 11:16 AM

My question is whether this mod would increase the spin? I used to spin a lot (heavy foot) with my RSA and my BFGoodrich were able to fix it with much better grip.

Well it should reduce wheel hop. Different from wheel spin, but simmilar. When you're spinning your wheels and keep spinning them it should feel like the front end of the vehicle is hopping up and down. The motor mount insert is supposed to reduce this by reducing the rocking motion of the engine.

So no you wouldn't go back to spinning at every start, if anything it will improve your starts under heavy load.

I had similar mounts in my 99 Mystique and it drastically reduced the wheel hop. I'm definately getting these ones once the FSTB is ready and they can ship out together.

CM
Old 12-12-2006, 11:17 AM
.org extraordinaire

No the mounts dont prevent wheel spin, they prevent wheel hop, so the wheels dont hop up and down while under full power.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

K, so there should be three bolts holding up the mount in place, did you remove the bottom two, two hold it in place, the middle one goes through the rubber. Is that the one that wont come out?

Kam
Old 12-12-2006, 11:21 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I appreciate you guys clearing it up. Looks like I'll be getting at least one replaced unless somebody finds a way to easily swap both.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:40 AM

K, so there should be three bolts holding up the mount in place, did you remove the bottom two, two hold it in place, the middle one goes through the rubber. Is that the one that wont come out?

Kam
No the picture is of the bottom bolt closest to the engine. It's one that connects the mount to the subframe. If it was the one through the bushing then I would have been able to manipulate it.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:42 AM

What I meant was that instead of the engine rocking back and the front end lifting the wheels just start spinning. It also prevents wheel hop.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:25 PM
.org extraordinaire

No the picture is of the bottom bolt closest to the engine. It's one that connects the mount to the subframe. If it was the one through the bushing then I would have been able to manipulate it.
Cause when we did mine, we didnt even remove all the bolts, we just undid the one in the middle and then one attaching the mount to the subframe.

Then we sprayed lithium grease on the insert and some on the mount and managed to slip the insert into the mount by manouvering it in there.

The mount was slightly tilted forward towards the engine and there were two 12mm bolts holding it from the rear also, there is like an accessory cable running around the back of the mount, those two 12mm bolts had to be removed for the mount to tilt forward.

MOUNT, 3 17mm bolts, 2 12mm bolts attached to the back of it.

Kam
Old 12-12-2006, 01:05 PM

I'll look again when I get a chance but we couldn't figure out way to get it in there. From what I remember there was no way to tilt it enough to matter.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:18 PM
TAZ

Cause when we did mine, we didnt even remove all the bolts, we just undid the one in the middle and then one attaching the mount to the subframe.

Then we sprayed lithium grease on the insert and some on the mount and managed to slip the insert into the mount by manouvering it in there.

The mount was slightly tilted forward towards the engine and there were two 12mm bolts holding it from the rear also, there is like an accessory cable running around the back of the mount, those two 12mm bolts had to be removed for the mount to tilt forward.

MOUNT, 3 17mm bolts, 2 12mm bolts attached to the back of it.

Kam

we tilted the mount towards the firewall not the engine. The front bolt that is stuck on his was easy to remove on yours.

Nietzsche: Is your car a 4 or 5 speed auto? cause I know all the available transmissions are slightly different, and I'd like to narrow down which ones have what issues.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:23 PM

I have a 5spd auto, the 4 spd was only offered in early 04 models I believe.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:30 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by taz
we tilted the mount towards the firewall not the engine. The front bolt that is stuck on his was easy to remove on yours.

Nietzsche: Is your car a 4 or 5 speed auto? cause I know all the available transmissions are slightly different, and I'd like to narrow down which ones have what issues.
Shame he cant get that installed in there, cause thats by far my favourite mod for putting the power down to the wheels!

I love how my car shifts now, its just snaps into gears

Kamski
Old 12-13-2006, 08:50 PM

Shame he cant get that installed in there, cause thats by far my favourite mod for putting the power down to the wheels!

I love how my car shifts now, its just snaps into gears

Kamski
Is your car a 6 speed Kam, how was the install? I assume u did both?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:36 AM
TAZ

Originally Posted by Glude
Is your car a 6 speed Kam, how was the install? I assume u did both?
1.5-2 hours total time laying on your back, and you have to drop the Y pipe. His car is a 6 speed
Old 12-14-2006, 05:44 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by taz
1.5-2 hours total time laying on your back, and you have to drop the Y pipe. His car is a 6 speed
I did the front, Taz did the rear one.

Front = 20 minutes
Rear = 60 - 90 minutes

Both are in and I love it.

Kamski
Old 12-14-2006, 05:46 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by taz
I did the front, Taz did the rear one.

Front = 20 min
Rear = 60-90 min with y-pipe removal.

Bar non my favourite power mod.

Kam
Old 12-14-2006, 12:02 PM

Nice, I guess I need to get these eventually.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:58 PM

You won't be disappointed. Another thing to mention is the better ride quality. The car excelerates much smoother and it doesn't jostle when shifting. The vehicle stays more planted as well because the motor can't torque back and shift the cars weight.

Just some added thoughts.

I would say despite being performance oriented I would say that this is great for more comfort. If your looking for a better ride this is the way to go.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:46 PM

buh i remember reading that on kam's car that it was the opposite...? meaning the ride was a lil more harsh...cause you could feel the engine on idle now...did i read wrong?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:26 PM

The idle is slightly rougher in gear, not something most people would even notice. There is more to ride quality than idle shake. Under acceleration you don't have that jump up from the motor and the shifting doesn't shake the car. To me this makes it a more luxurious ride with less shaking and jostling. But the idle is SLIGHTLY rougher, again not something I would think most would notice. I did only put the front one in though.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:51 PM
.org extraordinaire

The idle is slightly rougher in gear, not something most people would even notice. There is more to ride quality than idle shake. Under acceleration you don't have that jump up from the motor and the shifting doesn't shake the car. To me this makes it a more luxurious ride with less shaking and jostling. But the idle is SLIGHTLY rougher, again not something I would think most would notice. I did only put the front one in though.
With Both in i dont find the idle rough at all. My car usually runs 91 of 94 octane so the idle on it is very smooth. From that perspective I didnt feel much change to idle.

BUT THE SHIFTING and Firmness of the DRIVE TRAIN is AWESOME!!!!!!!

Kamski
Old 12-16-2006, 02:40 PM

so Nietzsche what are you saying we need to remove in order to put in the rear engine mount? the tranny? or just the y-pipe?

cause i really wanna try to put some more of the crank power to the wheels...however i don't really wanna sacrifice ride comfort for power. lost too much of the with the suspension swap...however that was very very necessary for a SL...lolxz
Old 12-16-2006, 05:54 PM

With Both in i dont find the idle rough at all. My car usually runs 91 of 94 octane so the idle on it is very smooth. From that perspective I didnt feel much change to idle.

BUT THE SHIFTING and Firmness of the DRIVE TRAIN is AWESOME!!!!!!!

Kamski
The idle isn't rough by any means, just not as smooth as stock. Again I'll say most people couldn't even tell the difference but I'm **** about observing even the slightest difference.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by MisterSparkle
so Nietzsche what are you saying we need to remove in order to put in the rear engine mount? the tranny? or just the y-pipe?

cause i really wanna try to put some more of the crank power to the wheels...however i don't really wanna sacrifice ride comfort for power. lost too much of the with the suspension swap...however that was very very necessary for a SL...lolxz
You won't care about the idle quality. You'll never even tell unless you are super sensitive and stopped at a red light in gear with the radio off, the hvac off, and no cross wind. I mean it really is barely noticably and pales in comparison to the loss in ride quality with a dropped suspension.

After some research the best way to get the rear mount done would appear to be removing the subframe. The upper bolt on the mount is the one that holds it to the engine. The lower two bolt to the subframe, so if you remove the subframe you drop the rear mount with it.

Still a ton of work, so like I said. If your doing headers, that's the time to pop it in.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:18 AM

aiite koo...lolxz thanks don't plann on doing headers unless i don't have to worry at all about the SES light...which is highly unlikey unless i feel like doing extra work and putting in a O2 sim...lolxz

brian please chime and tell me otherwise...lolxz
Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

So, whats the verdict for us AUTOMATICS??
Old 12-19-2006, 09:08 AM
TAZ

unless your ready for a pain in the a$$ install just buy the front insert. Or buy both and put in the rear when you do either headers or a front sway bar.

But either way buy something
Old 12-19-2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by taz
But either way buy something
I agree, just do it!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well if you change the engine mount from stock it will definetly make it ride rougher but the point of it is to get the better response but you will lose the quality of drive
Old 12-28-2006, 05:06 PM

Does the front ones unbolt easily?
Or does it requires power tools?
I would like to at least upgrade the front ones, but
I don't have air tools.

Quick Reply: Racingline Motor Mounts on Automatics