6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Anyone have CV Joint problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 09:25 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Anyone have CV Joint problems?

"SYMPTOMS OF CV JOINT FAILURE:

A "clunk" when accelerating, decelerating or when putting the transaxle into drive. The noise comes from excessive play in the inner joint on FWD applications."

That pretty much explains what I'm experiencing coming from the front passenger side floor. Clunk, clunk, clunk. Once I get up to speed it goes away. I'm at 49K miles.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:46 AM
RVC
Donating Maxima.org Member

I didn't have those problems, bit I did have a ripped boot at 22k miles.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:07 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I inspected the boots and they're in tact, no leaks or nothin'. Everything looks clean. The service agents seems to believe that it's coming from some play in the axle but is not sure yet. It may be covered under the powertrain warrantee.

They may try to blame it on the fact that my car is lowered but they won't get away with that so easily.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:14 AM
RVC

Is it A/T or 6spd?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:20 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by RVC
Is it A/T or 6spd?
It's an auto.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:50 AM

are you lowered??? If yes then that is your culprit.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:57 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by koyoki
are you lowered??? If yes then that is your culprit.
I've been lowered for over a year now.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:49 AM

How woudl being lowered effect that?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:19 PM
aka The Doom Ship

They said the clunking is coming from the right axle and that it would have to be replaced. They said, however, that because the car is lowered(altered) that it's not covered under warrantee. $675+labor. Needless to say, I didn't pay it, and left.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:06 PM

My 2001 Nissan Quest did that for four years! My neighbors Frontier does that even now and his truck is about 5-6 years old. My other neighbor with an Xterra, has that happen to him!

There was NOTHING wrong with any of these vehicles!

I hope the same for you!

Swee
Old 11-02-2006, 02:20 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
My 2001 Nissan Quest did that for four years! My neighbors Frontier does that even now and his truck is about 5-6 years old. My other neighbor with an Xterra, has that happen to him!

There was NOTHING wrong with any of these vehicles!

I hope the same for you!

Swee
What do you mean there's nothing wrong? It didn't do that for the first 2 years. Why should I accept it now???
Old 11-02-2006, 03:01 PM

Funny this thread pops up, I just left my dealer and they said my right interior CV Boot was torn and they would fix it for $389. Hmmm.... None the less I am looking for the part and will be taking it to an indepent mechanic to verify it and price the labor. I am at 34k miles, lowered, and have yet to hit anything that would tear it. Sounds fishy.

Having a hard time finding the part. Looked at Courtesy and few other places.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
What do you mean there's nothing wrong? It didn't do that for the first 2 years. Why should I accept it now???
They're saying nothiing was wrong with their cars, not yours.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:56 PM

Lowering the car messes up the original desgn thus putting more stress on powertrain components of the vehicle. Thats one reason when it comes to a new car I dont even bother messing with it, for the fact its not worth them not covering it under warranty. Its just the nature of modifications...over time more and more stress happens to the drivetrain components and eventually they fail.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:08 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by lclrod
Funny this thread pops up, I just left my dealer and they said my right interior CV Boot was torn and they would fix it for $389. Hmmm.... None the less I am looking for the part and will be taking it to an indepent mechanic to verify it and price the labor. I am at 34k miles, lowered, and have yet to hit anything that would tear it. Sounds fishy.

In other words they wouldn't cover it under warranty.

You know what, I'm just thoroughly disqusted with Nissan's customer service, both the dealership and Nissan Consumer Affairs. I can write an article on the lies, under handedness, lack of professionalism I've encountered at more than one dealership. It starts with the moment you walk through the doors and encounter the first salesman, the lies and trickery start from there. And 9 times out of 10 Consumer Affairs doesn't care or doesn't care to take responsibilty for the actions of these dealers.

At this point, I don't care if the GT-R is coming out under Nissan. He!!, I don't care if they come out with a $20,000 vehicle that can travel through wormholes. I'm tired of supporting a company that clearly doesn't support the consumer.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:36 PM

They're saying nothiing was wrong with their cars, not yours.
Thank you, he clearly missunderstood my angle! It was our vehicles that were fine!!!!

Swee

Afterthought here,

I'm going to run out to my garage and check my boots!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:01 PM

My outer passenger side boot had a very small, 1/4 inch slit in it and it was making a big mess down there. I patched it up with some gasket sealer and it has held for more than a month now. I'm hoping that there is still plenty of grease in there to prevent problems down the road. Seems strange to have a small slit so early at only 42k miles. The only thing I can think of is it got nicked during an oil change or something.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New member here, throwing in my 2 cents. (98 5spd)

Try www.rockauto.com. I used to have a Mercury Cougar and the owner of one of the boards I was on worked there. They have tons and tons of parts.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:19 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by willysmooo
Lowering the car messes up the original desgn thus putting more stress on powertrain components of the vehicle. Thats one reason when it comes to a new car I dont even bother messing with it, for the fact its not worth them not covering it under warranty. Its just the nature of modifications...over time more and more stress happens to the drivetrain components and eventually they fail.
Installing a aftermarket stereo system puts added stress on the alternator, installing an intake alters the a/f ratio, installing bigger wheels adds stress to the entire drivetrain.

You telling me Nissan can justifiably void the warranty because of these things??? That's bull.

This very same dealership sells aftermarket parts in their parts department.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Owns way too many maximas

Installing a aftermarket stereo system puts added stress on the alternator, installing an intake alters the a/f ratio, installing bigger wheels adds stress to the entire drivetrain.

You telling me Nissan can justifiably void the warranty because of these things??? That's bull.

This very same dealership sells aftermarket parts in their parts department.
Its a known fact that lowering a car affects axles/cv joints.

In order for Nissan to fairly refuse your warranty claim, they have to proove that the damage/failed part is caused by your mods. Since lowering a car changes its geometry and puts more stress on the axle/joints, they can, and will refuse the claim
Old 11-02-2006, 08:11 PM

So is the general assumption here is that the dealers are damaging the boots?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:32 PM
aka The Doom Ship

There are plenty other lowered Maximas, anyone else have this problem? I'm gonna have to get it fixed because that clunking is loosening all of the other components including the wheel nuts.

This is a nightmare.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:04 PM
aka The Doom Ship

NOW THIS IS A REPUTABLE DEALERSHIP!

This is from Grubbs Infiniti's website:

"Q: My Dealer told me if I installed an aftermarket part on my vehicle it would void the warranty. Is that true?

A: No, Grubbs Infiniti, Ltd does not void the factory warranty when aftermarket performance parts are installed. Actually, the consumer is protected from this type of practice by the Magnuson Moss Act."

The dealership came to mind because I know they're known to do alot of aftermarket work on Infinitis. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:15 PM

There are plenty other lowered Maximas, anyone else have this problem? I'm gonna have to get it fixed because that clunking is loosening all of the other components including the wheel nuts.

This is a nightmare.

Yes there are plenty of other max lowered but you have to see many other facts that can lead up to this.. The main reason is because you are lowered. The semitry of you suspension component is altered therefore it puts more stress on your suspension components. Also, in addition to this you have to include the way you drive. If the roads are harsh than it adds more to the stress of your suspension component. You cannot just blame that its not fair. Everything adds up ; therefore causes your problem now. This is a history of lowered car and suspension problem so this is not the first time. As for fixing it i say DIY its not hard at all.. As for the stealership doing the warranty stuff, i do not know how to help you.. all i can say is stealership sucks if you don;t work for them. Good luck aand happy modding.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:34 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by koyoki
Yes there are plenty of other max lowered but you have to see many other facts that can lead up to this.. The main reason is because you are lowered. The semitry of you suspension component is altered therefore it puts more stress on your suspension components. Also, in addition to this you have to include the way you drive. If the roads are harsh than it adds more to the stress of your suspension component. You cannot just blame that its not fair. Everything adds up ; therefore causes your problem now. This is a history of lowered car and suspension problem so this is not the first time. As for fixing it i say DIY its not hard at all.. As for the stealership doing the warranty stuff, i do not know how to help you.. all i can say is stealership sucks if you don;t work for them. Good luck aand happy modding.
See my last post. An example of a reputable dealership. Nuff said.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:42 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Just got back from Bankston Nissan. They informed me that it's not the axle but a warped rotor combined with bad pad retainers that is causing the clunking. After driving the car and inspecting everything they're 90% sure that's what the problem is.

They also told me that if the axle is bad it WILL be covered under warranty in spite of the Eibach springs. A fine example of good customer service.

Thanks Bankston Nissan.

Needless to say I would never take my car to Courtesy Nissan again.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Owns way too many maximas

NOW THIS IS A REPUTABLE DEALERSHIP!

This is from Grubbs Infiniti's website:

"Q: My Dealer told me if I installed an aftermarket part on my vehicle it would void the warranty. Is that true?

A: No, Grubbs Infiniti, Ltd does not void the factory warranty when aftermarket performance parts are installed. Actually, the consumer is protected from this type of practice by the Magnuson Moss Act."

The dealership came to mind because I know they're known to do alot of aftermarket work on Infinitis. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
It doesnt void your cars entire warranty, only the parts related to it.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longhorn101
My outer passenger side boot had a very small, 1/4 inch slit in it and it was making a big mess down there. I patched it up with some gasket sealer and it has held for more than a month now. I'm hoping that there is still plenty of grease in there to prevent problems down the road. Seems strange to have a small slit so early at only 42k miles. The only thing I can think of is it got nicked during an oil change or something.
I got that issue out-of-the door but didnot know until my friend pointed out a few days later, grease everywhere. Quite some people here got that early too. Maybe you've been driving with that for awhile. Some lazy worker must've used a box-cutter knife.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by MaxFan
I got that issue out-of-the door but didnot know until my friend pointed out a few days later, grease everywhere. Quite some people here got that early too. Maybe you've been driving with that for awhile. Some lazy worker must've used a box-cutter knife.
Could be, but after I cleaned up the grease before fixing the slit, the grease accumulated pretty fast again. Hopefully that just means there is still plenty in there. One thing I like about the Max is how clean the engine and underhood components are relative to some of my previous vehicles. After closing the slit and cleaning her up, it all looks good again.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Longhorn101
Could be, but after I cleaned up the grease before fixing the slit, the grease accumulated pretty fast again. Hopefully that just means there is still plenty in there. One thing I like about the Max is how clean the engine and underhood components are relative to some of my previous vehicles. After closing the slit and cleaning her up, it all looks good again.
Are U sure U wanna stick with "ducktape" ? U don't want to let water or dirt get to it. It shouldn't cost more than $150 to put a new one on. I saw some shops asking $50-60 for CVBoot here.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:54 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Ya'll just took over my thread! It's all good.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:06 PM

"SYMPTOMS OF CV JOINT FAILURE:

A "clunk" when accelerating, decelerating or when putting the transaxle into drive. The noise comes from excessive play in the inner joint on FWD applications."

That pretty much explains what I'm experiencing coming from the front passenger side floor. Clunk, clunk, clunk. Once I get up to speed it goes away. I'm at 49K miles.

you might want to look more into the struts rather than your CV joints.... cv joint tend to make more of a clunk clunk clunk when you turn right or left for the fact that nothing is holding the two joint together...... i had this problem before on other FWD cars...... im betting that its your struts rather than your CV joints hope this helps

-nate
Old 11-04-2006, 04:08 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by y0_nate
you might want to look more into the struts rather than your CV joints.... cv joint tend to make more of a clunk clunk clunk when you turn right or left for the fact that nothing is holding the two joint together...... i had this problem before on other FWD cars...... im betting that its your struts rather than your CV joints hope this helps

-nate
Thanks for the info but another dealership, a much more reputable dealership I might add, diagnosed the problem being a warped rotor and broken pad retainers.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by MaxFan
Are U sure U wanna stick with "ducktape" ? U don't want to let water or dirt get to it. It shouldn't cost more than $150 to put a new one on. I saw some shops asking $50-60 for CVBoot here.
Ducktape rocks!

Seriously, I have no concerns with the fix because the gasket sealer has covered and closed the very small slit perfectly, so I have no concern with stuff getting in there. Only concern was how much grease was left in the boot. If and when it starts clicking, I'll replace the whole CV joint assembly.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:39 AM

In other words they wouldn't cover it under warranty.

You know what, I'm just thoroughly disqusted with Nissan's customer service, both the dealership and Nissan Consumer Affairs. I can write an article on the lies, under handedness, lack of professionalism I've encountered at more than one dealership. It starts with the moment you walk through the doors and encounter the first salesman, the lies and trickery start from there. And 9 times out of 10 Consumer Affairs doesn't care or doesn't care to take responsibilty for the actions of these dealers.

At this point, I don't care if the GT-R is coming out under Nissan. He!!, I don't care if they come out with a $20,000 vehicle that can travel through wormholes. I'm tired of supporting a company that clearly doesn't support the consumer.
Thats is correct. I brought up that the car is still under factory warrenty and has the extended ($50 deductible) warrenty. They say it is part of normal wear and tear and that is not covered under either. My situation, I don't believe the problem to be major - you can barely hear anything when turning right. And in all honesty, who the hell turns right anyways?

To hit on your point about Nissan in general; I agree. <Rant> So I had a problem with a previous dealer not wanting to fix something that was covered under a NTB without me paying out the $50 deductible (even though the car was still under factory warrenty). So I called 800-Nissan, or whatever the number is, filed a complaint...and nothing happened. My case was forwarded to the regional specialist who was suppose to call me within 2 buisness days. 2 weeks later and countless voicemails from me, he never called. One day out of the blue I decided to see if I would get lucky and he would pick up, and sure enough he finally answered his phone and said there was nothing he could do about. Try taking it to another dealer was his suggestion. So I did just that, described the the problem I was having, gave them the NTB # and they fixed - free of charge. Now how can one dealer say "No, we won't fix it for free. Even though there is an NTB, we feel you caused the damage - so pay us." While the other dealer is fixes it and doesn't even flinch. WTF? </ Rant>
Old 11-06-2006, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Byronape
New member here, throwing in my 2 cents. (98 5spd)

Try www.rockauto.com. I used to have a Mercury Cougar and the owner of one of the boards I was on worked there. They have tons and tons of parts.
Thanks for the site - will add to my list of places to look. They only had the CV Half Shaft Assembly and not just the boot (not at a bad price though). Thanks.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:19 AM

Update: Took car to trusted independent mechanic and in their professional opinion, the boot did not tear due to normal wear and tear nor the various DC area road hazards. The boot has a slight cut, just enough for it to be replaced not enough for it to do immediate damage. I was told that the cut is very straight and not normal looking. Obviously the mechanic can not say that the dealer did it, but he sure can allude to it. The damage is to "perfect."

I'm having them replace replace it, but was thinking of filing a complaint. Thoughts?

On a side note: Boots are hard to come by, or so I am told, and will have to be ordered directly from Nissan and the shady dealer. No aftermarket same day options (unless your dealer happens to have it in stock)
Old 11-20-2006, 11:17 AM

I was told that the cut is very straight and not normal looking. Obviously the mechanic can not say that the dealer did it, but he sure can allude to it. The damage is to "perfect."

I'm having them replace replace it, but was thinking of filing a complaint. Thoughts?
The "cut" in your boot sounds a lot like the one on my car. The cut on mine was very "perfect" and only about 1/4 inch. It was on the outer fold of the inner CV boot, which is very close to the oil filter. I don't put anything past some dealers, but I suspect either a manufacturing defect or inadvertant damage during an oil change. My first thought was it was too perfect to be normal road damage too.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:23 AM

Iclrod Early 2004 Maximas had a similiar problem. The boots were being cut with box cutters when the boxes they were shipped in were opened.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by gen2000
Iclrod Early 2004 Maximas had a similiar problem. The boots were being cut with box cutters when the boxes they were shipped in were opened.
I would buy that if I didnt have an '05, 32k miles, multiple oil changes done, and various trips to 2 different dealers. It all seems shady. I dont know though.

Quick Reply: Anyone have CV Joint problems?