6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: What is the best intake for 6th Gen?
AEM
5.45%
Stillen
11.82%
Injen
30.00%
Fujita
36.36%
K&N
6.36%
Perrin
0%
Other (Post in thread)
10.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Best Intake for 6th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by MaXXXpower
Are most of you guys getting a CAI for "sound" and appearance. Or do you believe there are noticable gains in performance, even after the ecu recognizes the difference? I'm looking to get an intake. But if the only benifit is for the sound, I think I'll go with the Berk. Looks like an easier install, cheaper, no water in the engine.(unless I drive into a lake)
Performance, then sound.

Like many say... go before show.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:26 PM
name came from hairdryer

Defiant, would you say the performance is as noticeable/same now as when you first installed?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:31 PM

Injen Claims about 14-16hp (8-10wheel) boost and i forsure felt it, especially in the 6spd. I believe the Performance is the same or better than it was when i put it on almost 2 yrs ago, so im not to sure about this ecu flash altho im interested in doing after reading all the coments in this thread.. Best of luck to ya.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:32 PM
name came from hairdryer

Sorry 'bout the last post Deiant, forgot you were the one who started the thread looking for opinions. I was all excited about someone who had an intake saying its all about the performance, and its noticeable.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:37 PM
name came from hairdryer

Thanks for the input Altima boy. Anyone done a dyno shortly after install of intake, then another months later? (No other performance mods)
Old 10-04-2006, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the input Altima boy. Anyone done a dyno shortly after install of intake, then another months later? (No other performance mods)
That's a very good thought/question. I doubt anyone does though
Old 10-04-2006, 11:54 AM

Sorry 'bout the last post Deiant, forgot you were the one who started the thread looking for opinions. I was all excited about someone who had an intake saying its all about the performance, and its noticeable.
No problem. I actually ordered the Fujita Cold Air Intake and I'm awaiting its arrival. So I'll let you know how the gains are when I get it!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:37 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by Defiant_Max04
I ordered the Fujita CAI. I can't wait to get it. My only fear is hydrolock.
on all cold air intakes, make sure you keep the wheel well on that side to date. the wheel well's tend to break down at the bottom and could be a big enough hole for water to get in into the intake.

don't worry, it won't be bad enough to damage your engine or anything, but you will feel the water going in through it.

just make sure the wheel well stays flawless.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:55 PM
name came from hairdryer

No problem. I actually ordered the Fujita Cold Air Intake and I'm awaiting its arrival. So I'll let you know how the gains are when I get it!
Thanks. Let me know of any trouble spots on the install as well. If any.
Good luck.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:40 PM

Thanks. Let me know of any trouble spots on the install as well. If any.
Good luck.
I JUST installed it and took it for a "test drive" aka 2x speed limits..

You feel the gains........the sound is RIDICULOUSLY loud and it doesn't sound like a family sedan, its so fast, tires spin so much more if you floor it at 0mph...

The Install...
2 hours
Cost me $0
Overall easy if you know what your doing..

Well worth the money to me.....

Install problems..very very few..basically screwing the air filter on was the hardest. Need to take the left side of the fender "off/out", to screw it in.

And...I did it when it was dark, so..buy it buy it buy it! Fujita all the way.

It is SICK the sound.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:41 PM

The wrinkled black is recommended by me.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:07 PM
name came from hairdryer

I JUST installed it and took it for a "test drive" aka 2x speed limits..

You feel the gains........the sound is RIDICULOUSLY loud and it doesn't sound like a family sedan, its so fast, tires spin so much more if you floor it at 0mph...

The Install...
2 hours
Cost me $0
Overall easy if you know what your doing..

Well worth the money to me.....

Install problems..very very few..basically screwing the air filter on was the hardest. Need to take the left side of the fender "off/out", to screw it in.

And...I did it when it was dark, so..buy it buy it buy it! Fujita all the way.

It is SICK the sound.
I'm real glad to hear all that. I placed my order this morning knowing it was the right thing to do.
Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:21 PM

The wrinkled black is recommended by me.
That and the ECU are in store for me once I get an ECU from a junk yard or real cheap somewhere!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:25 PM

Do i need a new ECU or something?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do i need a new ECU or something?
Everyone needs an ECU flash

J/K, you don't "need" one but it really helps the car not to run lean on fuel once mods are added. I'm like !PrjctMax!, hoping to add ECU in the spring!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:24 AM

Thanks Apollos. Do you have the Fujita as well?

I love it so much. Very very very noticeable gain...I tapped my foot (not floored) and my wheels started to spin. I used to have to floor it all the way for wheel spin..

And last night when I did my test run after installation...i was doing 5MPH-10MPH, no stopping, then i floored it, and the wheels spun!!! this is some SERIOUS power gain.

If i was rolling and floored it with stock intake box without fujita..it would not make any wheel spin.

It is great. Can't wait to try it out on the highway passing cars..How is it?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:38 AM

Thanks Apollos. Do you have the Fujita as well?

I love it so much. Very very very noticeable gain...I tapped my foot (not floored) and my wheels started to spin. I used to have to floor it all the way for wheel spin..

And last night when I did my test run after installation...i was doing 5MPH-10MPH, no stopping, then i floored it, and the wheels spun!!! this is some SERIOUS power gain.

If i was rolling and floored it with stock intake box without fujita..it would not make any wheel spin.

It is great. Can't wait to try it out on the highway passing cars..How is it?
Not trying to bust your bubble......but do all of these "tests" in about a week or so and see if you STILL have the same results. By this I am referring that the ECU would have "re-adjusted" itself back to "stock" in a way.

IMO spend the $495 on the ECU
Old 10-11-2006, 03:13 PM

What if I get an ECU..say a month down the road? What will the differences be?

Also Prjct..what intake do you have...and how can you "protect" yourself from hydrolock besides avoiding puddles.

That is my only fear.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:32 PM

I originally had the Injen RD series Intake and the mount broke exactly a year after it was installed. Has anyone tried the new Injen MR?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:13 PM

What if I get an ECU..say a month down the road? What will the differences be?

Also Prjct..what intake do you have...and how can you "protect" yourself from hydrolock besides avoiding puddles.

That is my only fear.
lol it's funny that you ask what intake I have, because I actually don't have one, i've just read enough info on them to know enough about them. But I probaly will get the Fujita shortly, just undecided if I should for the winter time. As for protecting against hydro-locking, just make sure that all of your splash guards are intact and not cracked, and also have all of the clips in them. And just don't be a : when it's pouring out and you'll be alright!
Old 10-11-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by garose26
I originally had the Injen RD series Intake and the mount broke exactly a year after it was installed. Has anyone tried the new Injen MR?
i've been wondering the same thing
Old 10-11-2006, 06:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

Speaking of ECU's, have any of you verified that there are any changes in air intake (MAF readings), and/or actual A/F changes?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
lol it's funny that you ask what intake I have, because I actually don't have one, i've just read enough info on them to know enough about them. But I probaly will get the Fujita shortly, just undecided if I should for the winter time. As for protecting against hydro-locking, just make sure that all of your splash guards are intact and not cracked, and also have all of the clips in them. And just don't be a : when it's pouring out and you'll be alright!
Highly recommended. Thanks for the info.

Also, I'm going to Nissan on Saturday with about a list of 20 problems (sad aint it)...are they going to blame it on my intake which I installed yesterday (problems occured wayyyy before yesterday), and void my warranty?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:19 PM

Highly recommended. Thanks for the info.

Also, I'm going to Nissan on Saturday with about a list of 20 problems (sad aint it)...are they going to blame it on my intake which I installed yesterday (problems occured wayyyy before yesterday), and void my warranty?
Depending on the issues. If you have a blown strut and they say "its because the intake has such enormous sucking power that it sucked the gas out of the strut and thus caused it to blow," then you go home, take the strut out yourself, come back to the stealership and bust some skulls! rofl

But yes, they probaly will give you that "it's because of the performance mod you added" bs and void yuor warranty. But it also depends on the stealership.

So good luck
Dan
Old 10-12-2006, 09:32 AM

I can agree that the you will not have the same results from that intake after about a week. I have had my fujita about 7 days now it still gets up to 60mph pretty quick but the tire spin is gone bye bye. also I am averaging more mpg. 21 before now 22.5-23 mpg.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:35 PM

Then I'll need a new ECU...

How can they blame it on my intake if these FIN problems occured way before? F them.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:56 PM

Then I'll need a new ECU...

How can they blame it on my intake if these FIN problems occured way before? F them.
They don't know when you got your intake. And any stealership will do/say anything to get their a** out of doing warranty work! Those f***ing
IMO you should have installed the intake after the delightful visit to the stealership.

Dan
Old 10-12-2006, 07:28 PM

I have tracking info to prove to them as$holes!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:41 AM

It sounds like most of you guys say it feels faster, or sounds cool.
Have you had your cars on the Dyno to back it up? And then tuned it properly?
I'm guesing that the KN Panel filter in the stock box will give you the same results, just won't sound as cool.
Try comparing them both ways on the Dyno sometime. I bet the results will very similar.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:46 AM

They don't know when you got your intake. And any stealership will do/say anything to get their a** out of doing warranty work! Those f***ing
IMO you should have installed the intake after the delightful visit to the stealership.

Dan
Put the factory box and filter back on and go to a differnet Nissan dealer.
I have found that works. I had one problem on one of my old GM cars they wouldn't warranty it. Went to a different dealer and they fixed and gave me a free loaner under warranty, and were happy to do it.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:05 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by Rusty Nutz
It sounds like most of you guys say it feels faster, or sounds cool.
Have you had your cars on the Dyno to back it up? And then tuned it properly?
I'm guesing that the KN Panel filter in the stock box will give you the same results, just won't sound as cool.
Try comparing them both ways on the Dyno sometime. I bet the results will very similar.
I did the Fujita dyno..

and no the K&N won't give same results..
Old 10-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i ordered berk last friday, im installing it on my 07' that i just got last thursday. I cant wait to hear it with this different transmission. Its gonna roar and its not gonna stop becuase theres no switching gears
Old 10-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
I think it might get a little boring after a while....listening to the monotonous sound with no change in pitch. Maybe you can step on the gas to simulate some acceleration instead of a constant ROOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR....
Old 10-18-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garose26

I've had my Injen MR since May and I love it. It's one of the nicest looking intakes and the bracket is SOLID. I can't compare the performance to other intakes, but compared to stock, the car feels more responsive. I was surprised to notice the immediate improvement in response because the Place Racing CAI I had on my '90 SE didn't seem to do much.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:12 PM

ok quick question (maybe a lil off topic maybe not). What is holding the stock air box from the bottom and how do u remove it? the only screw i saw was the one next to the fender on top and thats it.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2006, 05:38 AM

can someone tell me their experience with a nismo CAI? I'm thinking of getting one very soon.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by caldeputy
can someone tell me their experience with a nismo CAI? I'm thinking of getting one very soon.
Same here!!!

I had the NISMO intake (and exhaust) in my "06 Altima SE. They made a HUGE difference in power gains in the high end. Freeway pickup seemed to be effortless. The sound from the engine made it much throatier/v-8 like. The exhaust was great, except at hwy cruising speed. The resonance was AWFUL.

I would like to get a NISMO intake again for my 2006 Maxima. The dealership I go to treats me very well and gives me parts at cost plus 5% which I think is fair. They also give me a discounted labor rate.

My only concern is the ECU reset I see many of you talking about. I never had to worry about that with the Altima and NISMO parts. That, and nobody seems to have the NISMO intake.

Any feedback from someone that has it would be great. I know some will say not to buy it, or "x-brand is better" but that is a debate for another time. I have had great success and want any mods supported by my dealer should warranty be required.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2006, 03:52 PM

Well, it looks like nobody has one installed, so I may be the first. I got a call just after dinner saying my intake was in at the dealer. Being installed at 8:00 on Friday morning. I will post feedback after spending some time with it
Old 10-19-2006, 05:02 PM

MMM yes the Nismo intake is what I'm leaning towards if I get a intake. I hear it has the best sound out of all the intakes for the maxima?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeNismo
MMM yes the Nismo intake is what I'm leaning towards if I get a intake. I hear it has the best sound out of all the intakes for the maxima?
I know it was the best sounding one for my Smoke Altima SE with NISMO exhaust.

I cant wait to have this thing installed! I will have an update over the weekend.

Quick Reply: Best Intake for 6th Gen?