6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: What is the best intake for 6th Gen?
AEM
5.45%
Stillen
11.82%
Injen
30.00%
Fujita
36.36%
K&N
6.36%
Perrin
0%
Other (Post in thread)
10.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Best Intake for 6th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
ECU/lenses won't void warranty
and how many miles do you have on the car, and is it auto? thats quite strange if you ask me, but judging from your Shift_Leadfoot..................i wouldnt be surprised! lol There's still something very wrong with that
LOL, that's something I don't tell the dealer..

But yes it's the 5spd auto with the autostick.
30,000 on the car
got it june 04

And I noticed on startups when engine needle is at cold, it SQUEAKS. WTF is wronggg lol.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:08 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I'm going to assume that's with more than an intake..... And the newer version of the Fujita is one piece as well http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=476150
oh yeah, I also have headers, cat-back, and AFC. But a couple of other guys with similar setups with the exception of the intake showed lower torque.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:02 PM

On the topic of exhausts is there any out there that's a quad exhaust?
Old 09-18-2006, 01:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

Quad. .I hope you mean the outlets only.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so what everyone is saying that if you put a cai on a maxima and then dyno the car you will see gains,may not be alot but you would see some,then you drove the car around for awhile and then dyno'ed the car again you will no longer see the gains,because the car corrects AF ratio for normal stock settings. do not totally agree air is air the more the less restrictive the denser the better.Sometimes it is not always about the hp gain but effiency.NASCAR uses the same concept,only it is backwards.I am talking about restricter plates to reduce the amount of air going in to decrease the performance of the motor.Just the way I see it,not saying i am right.I just dont see how people are saying sr and cia intakes are of no use,when you have co like Injen,Stillen,and Fugita making and selling intakes.Any way after markert intakes sound hella better.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

True, "air is air", but the problem is too much air, not enough fuel.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Apollos2
True, "air is air", but the problem is too much air, not enough fuel.
That's when you need tune for it.

I have yet to see an A34 that is actually runnig lean, and verified by using a wb-o2 sensor upstream before or in the place of the main cat.

I think that the dual exhaust can lead to a leaner A/F reading when dynoing using a tailsniffer since there are 2 exhaust outlets found in the A34, hence the leaner reading.

The MAF/ECU/ open loop/closed loop function are there to serve as raw tuning aids when WOT or part throttle.. When WOT or open loop, the ECU sends signal to the injectors via RPM and MAF reading, so in theory, it cannot go lean.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

+1 for tuning...
Old 09-20-2006, 07:08 AM

So on the topic of tuning I just found out that my 06 has factory wideband and I can tap on to them to get an accurate A/F reading.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:40 PM
dot dot dot ...

IIRC A34's have had 5 wire wb's since 05.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:41 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I'm surprised he hasn't asked for dyno results.

Does anyone have the dyno results on the Fujita?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:19 AM

Tek does. Maybe I can find them........

Okay found the post:

"intake base:
213hp 222tq
picked up 13hp with the intake alone!"

I just dynoed my car with the Nismo at 209hp. The max torque listed at 238tq but that seemed way high, looks more like 223-224tq. I will start a new thread once I get a soft copy of the dyno and post pics as well.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:54 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I installed the fujita about a month ago and it eats gas like crazy. Thanks god the prices on the gas are falling down. I used to score anywhere from 15.8 to 19 in the city (Brooklyn, NY). Now with fujita its around 14.8-15.2. Noise is sexy but I think it made the car hesitant at lower RPM. High RPMs...its crazy you can feel the pull and the noise is awesome. I kept in on the manual mode the other day on the 2nd gear, keeping level with the TL next to me. When the car in front of me took the exit I stepped on it keeping it on the 2nd. I think I woke up the whole neighborhood that night.

Overall, I will switch back to box with K&N in it for gas efficiency and so that I can sleep at night not worried that one day I will get hydrolock. I will then sell the fujita or keep it for next summer. We'll see.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:10 AM

Will I really get bad MPG (significant) decrease? How much slower is the Max off the line w/Fujita??
Old 09-26-2006, 10:29 AM

Only reason that you are getting lower MPG is because of the constant lead foot that you have to hear the intake!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:19 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I used to score anywhere from 15.8 to 19 in the city (Brooklyn, NY). Now with fujita its around 14.8-15.2
is this from the dash readout or actually calculated #'s?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:10 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Only reason that you are getting lower MPG is because of the constant lead foot that you have to hear the intake!
I am known for that and I enjoy the boom effect quite a bit. But I tried running "slow" for 2 weeks and it was still below what I used to get with the original box.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Dobrze gada dac mu piwa. HEHE

No seriously, there is only one person that I've found on the forum that gets improved MPG. Generally speaking CAI = lower MPG
Old 09-26-2006, 03:55 PM

Dobrze gada dac mu piwa. HEHE

No seriously, there is only one person that I've found on the forum that gets improved MPG. Generally speaking CAI = lower MPG
Ale jakie piwo kurwa?! Chyba Tyskie, albo Zywiec moze?!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:48 PM

I have the Fujita on my car for about 1000 miles and and 1st impression was it has made the car quieter and smoother, my gas mileage has actually improved, where I was averaging 19-20 Im now doing 22-24, maybe it the highway miles, Im not really a lead foot driver, I flow with traffic but around town on light on the gas.

Thing sounds sweet when you wanna pass, really makes a statement
Old 09-26-2006, 05:51 PM

Can anyone answer? Is Maxima slower off the line with this intake......and if so...by how much? Noticeable or no?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:55 PM

It's not slower
Old 09-27-2006, 05:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey starr
do u have the cold air intake or just ram air?
if u have the cold air have u had any problems with the rian or snow?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant_Max04
Can anyone answer? Is Maxima slower off the line with this intake......and if so...by how much? Noticeable or no?
Yes it is slower on the take off, and it is noticable. The CAI does make up for it in the higher rpm range though. And no it doesn't decrease you gas mileage, if you drive like a normal person. You want to stomp on it to hear the CAI, then yes your gas mileage will go down.

My gas mileage actually increased, no it was only by about 1mpg but it was an increase.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:19 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I wish mine at least stayed where it was. Anyway, I will be taking it off cause I can't afford f-king up the engine due to hydrolock. I've seen it happen to some on this and other forums. Going back to box with panel K&N. The fujita will be offered for sale (barely used - 1 month or so)

Peace
Old 09-27-2006, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2L8ULose
hey starr
do u have the cold air intake or just ram air?
if u have the cold air have u had any problems with the rian or snow?
Just the CAI, no ram air set up, does someone have that, rain no problem but I avoid water, I've never driven through water higher then the rubber on my tire and snow, I see no problem with that but I've only had the CAI since 9-17
Old 09-27-2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant_Max04
I replied to your PM but somehow I think it got lost, I reply again just give me a day or too
Old 09-27-2006, 07:47 PM

I wish mine at least stayed where it was. Anyway, I will be taking it off cause I can't afford f-king up the engine due to hydrolock. I've seen it happen to some on this and other forums. Going back to box with panel K&N. The fujita will be offered for sale (barely used - 1 month or so)

Peace
Your in the city, I've driven though certain areas in my 4Runner, streetsbecome pools, would not want to do it in a Maxima
Old 09-27-2006, 09:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

I've seen it happen to some on this and other forums.
That's interesting. did they do, drive through 2-3' of water?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:43 PM

listen there always ways to protect from hydrlocking...injen espically has there lil hydro sheild...it doesn't prevent buh helps...
Old 09-28-2006, 07:34 PM

So i just took out the front piece of the stock intake, the piece that takes air from the front of the car. I did it just to kinda clean it off, as I was letting the piece dry, I was like y dont I take the car out for a spin around the block, jus to see how it sounds. The sound was AMAZING, I was like DAYUUUM and the car pulled like a MOTHER%#$%, the car skreeched the tires with the traction control on and felt like it was almost gonna lose traction in 2nd gear too!!, this was before the ECU could get used to it tho. anyway, just wanted to express. kinda makes me wanna go out and buy a CAI. O well maybe I'll wait till the NISMO CAI will go on sale or somethin.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:05 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by SmokeNismo
So i just took out the front piece of the stock intake, the piece that takes air from the front of the car. I did it just to kinda clean it off, as I was letting the piece dry, I was like y dont I take the car out for a spin around the block, jus to see how it sounds. The sound was AMAZING, I was like DAYUUUM and the car pulled like a MOTHER%#$%, the car skreeched the tires with the traction control on and felt like it was almost gonna lose traction in 2nd gear too!!, this was before the ECU could get used to it tho. anyway, just wanted to express. kinda makes me wanna go out and buy a CAI. O well maybe I'll wait till the NISMO CAI will go on sale or somethin.
I thought its the resonator that removes the noise and not the front air intake piece. But if it did then cool. As stated before the sound is unbelievable. I am still deciding whether to keep it for the summers or sell it once I take it off. Me and my brother took our 2004 and 2005 maximas (stock engines) to the air strip to see if there was no difference. We stepped on it and agreed to keep it on manual mode and let the engine shift when it reaches the safety RPM. We were head to head, entire length of the run. I am yet to go back and test it to see if I can pull ahead now that I have the Fujita
Old 09-28-2006, 08:14 PM

What intake do you have currently? and ya i bet removing the resonators would make it sound even meaner, but for now i put the stock piece back on, so the engine can breath cooler air. I can imagine that gettin a CAI would be all just for sound after the ECU gets used to it.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by SmokeNismo
What intake do you have currently? and ya i bet removing the resonators would make it sound even meaner, but for now i put the stock piece back on, so the engine can breath cooler air. I can imagine that gettin a CAI would be all just for sound after the ECU gets used to it.
It does get a lil louder if you remove the lower resonator as well. Also, the front piece sits on top of the hot as radiator and has a tiny opening, I dont think you benefit much if any from leaving this piece on.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:44 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

ok,

I think its there for a reason. Even if it sits on top of the radiator the air going in gets warmed a bit. However if the piece is not there then your intake sucks up the already HOT air found in the engine compartment.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:28 PM

ok,

I think its there for a reason. Even if it sits on top of the radiator the air going in gets warmed a bit. However if the piece is not there then your intake sucks up the already HOT air found in the engine compartment.
Ya that's true, I was looking around there to see if theres any kind of openning around it, but there isnt. only thing i can think of is from between the headlights, but i have a mask on and that openning is plugged up. Otherwise I wouldve left it open.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:59 PM

I ordered the Fujita CAI. I can't wait to get it. My only fear is hydrolock.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:51 PM

Ive had my Injen CAI For almost 2yrs and its been outstanding. It was the first black one brought into Canada so i feel kinda special haha.. Anyway ive driving the car through 2 winters with no problems. The finish has help up amazingly and the fitment is perfect. Sound and performance wise by far i think its the best sounding, I had some fun one night with 05 with a Nismo and he couldnt believe how much louder my Intake was than his. I think the Fujita and the Injen are fairly close matched but you cant beat the fact that Injen has been around so long.

Also for those Injen owners i think the secret to the crazy sound is the flared out pipe right before the filter
Old 10-03-2006, 02:51 PM

Ive had my Injen CAI For almost 2yrs and its been outstanding. It was the first black one brought into Canada so i feel kinda special haha.. Anyway ive drivin the car through 2 winters with no problems. The finish has held up amazingly and the fitment is perfect. Sound and performance wise by far i think its the best sounding, I had some fun one night with 05 with a Nismo and he couldnt believe how much louder my Intake was than his. I think the Fujita and the Injen are fairly close matched but you cant beat the fact that Injen has been around so long.

Also for those Injen owners i think the secret to the crazy sound is the flared out pipe right before the filter
Old 10-03-2006, 06:47 PM
name came from hairdryer

Are most of you guys getting a CAI for "sound" and appearance. Or do you believe there are noticable gains in performance, even after the ecu recognizes the difference? I'm looking to get an intake. But if the only benifit is for the sound, I think I'll go with the Berk. Looks like an easier install, cheaper, no water in the engine.(unless I drive into a lake)

Quick Reply: Best Intake for 6th Gen?