6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Extended Warranty...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 07:34 AM

Extended Warranty...

Currently my Maxima is 1 1/2 yrs old with 26,500mi on the odo. The end of my standard warranty is closely coming. I was thinking about buying extended warranty and...
  1. I was wondering how many of you bought extended warranty on your Maxima??
  2. Where did you buy your extended warranty? Directly from the dealer?
  3. Was it the Nissan Extended Warranty or through a third party?

Do you think extened warranty is needed on these cars?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by shadowfox777
  1. I was wondering how many of you bought extended warranty on your Maxima?? -- Not Me
  2. Do you think extened warranty is needed on these cars? -- NO
Bottom line -- the Max does not need an extended warranty (Consumer Reports recommends against paying the money for them if you buy a car with the dependability a Max has shown over time.)
Old 08-14-2006, 12:41 PM

I don't think it is needed, but I did buy the extended warranty when I bought my Max. Got it from the dealer. I drive my Max pretty hard so I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some extra time on the warranty. Plus they always give me a loaner car when my Max is in the shop because of the warranty I purchased.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:04 PM

Currently my Maxima is 1 1/2 yrs old with 26,500mi on the odo. The end of my standard warranty is closely coming. I was thinking about buying extended warranty and...
  1. I was wondering how many of you bought extended warranty on your Maxima??
  2. Where did you buy your extended warranty? Directly from the dealer?
  3. Was it the Nissan Extended Warranty or through a third party?

Do you think extened warranty is needed on these cars?

Thanks!

I purchased the extended warranty for 75k MILES .. I plan on keeping my 07 Max for a very long time. It is expensive. If I wasnt going to keep it beyond the base warranty I would not have. What the dealer is really saying to you ... PAY ME NOW or REALLY PAY ME LATER !! I did have it on my 04 MAX and have cancel it waiting for refund as it was never used ... my car had 24K miles and just shy of 3 years. The bottom line is what is your comfort level and how long will you keep the car .... period !
Old 08-14-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by jsuggs
I did have it on my 04 MAX and have cancel it waiting for refund as it was never used ...!
My point exactly -- it was never used. Nissan provides you with a 6-year 60 K mile extended warranty on the powertrain -- at no added cost. IMO this is all you need.

Originally Posted by jsuggs
The bottom line is what is your comfort level and how long will you keep the car .... period !
The real "bottom line" is with the car dealer (or other company) that sells you an extended warranty. They know that with all of them they sell, they will "lose money" on only a very few. They are playing the odds -- you should too, and not buy an extended warranty.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:50 PM

If it gives you piece of mind, purchase the warranty and dont think about it. Little things in these Japanese cars can break and for some reason cost a lot...will it add up in the long rum, who knows.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the nav screen went out on my max and the cost to replace the screen and nav system alone was more than the extended warranty costs.

IMO there is so much electronic gadgetry that can break on these cars (especially elites, with the rear heaters and such) what may seem like a minor issue could turn out to be thousands of dollars.

It used to be that the tranny was the most expensive thing to replace on a car but i'm not so sure any more lol

the latest warranty issue I had was the rear window seal was *slightly* buckled. with the extended warranty they just replaced the whole seal no questions asked...without the warranty its probably not something I would have fixed right away if at all, i doubt very highly if it would have gotten bad enough to leak. its just nice to be able to just have even small things taken care of that you would otherwise just live with.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:27 PM

Now, are your extended warranties from Nissan or from other companies? The first Nissan dealer I went to (closest one to me) said they don't offer the Nissan Extended Warranty but do it through a third party. The third party is Premier Dealer Services - for their VSC (Vehicle Service Contract). From the fine print, it says they are owned by Great American Insurance Company. Hmmm....

I was wondering roughly how much you guys paid for your extended warranty? (and length 7yrs/100k, etc)
Old 08-14-2006, 04:46 PM

I paid $1400 for the lojac, gap insurance and 7 yr- 70K through the dealership, incorporated in my loan as it was a $25 diff a month.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the preowned preferred warranty from nissan 5yr 100k mile

the previous owner bought it so I don't know the price, I just paid 50 bucks to transfer it. A good deal if it falls in your lap...I would probably have bought the same warranty if I had to though, even at 2k or so that adds up very fast over 100k miles, and it's a selling point if you want to get rid of the car at some point.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=warranty
Old 08-15-2006, 11:47 AM

i paid $1400 for the extended warranty (100k) for the max
Old 08-15-2006, 11:59 AM

I got the extended warranty for my 07 through the dealer. It was about $1300 for the 5yr, 100K mile with no deductable. I put about 20K miles a year on my cars, so to me it was worth it. Especially getting the roadside assistance, loaner and expenses covered if something happens when I am more than 100 miles from home, which is quite often with my job.

Nick
Old 08-16-2006, 06:04 AM

I did not bother with the warranty, had too much experience with Nissan finding ways to exempt any problems I had from the warranty.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:02 PM

I've had them on other cars and they have always paid for themselves.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:05 PM

You can only get an aftermarket (non-Nissan) extended warranty now. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Anyone has any suggestions for a good aftermarket warranty provider?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by george_rem
You can only get an aftermarket (non-Nissan) extended warranty now.
Not true. Go to the Nissan website and you can use their wizard to select a service plan:

http://nissanusa.com/apps/servicewizard

Quoting from the website: "You can purchase the right Security+Plus plan for you from your Nissan dealer at any time within the first 3 years or 36,000 miles of your vehicle's original in-service date."
Old 06-12-2007, 05:23 AM
JUVIN's ride

I know this one is old, but I am all for it. The only thing is if you plan on using the EW, you better keep all your receipts. I am having a problem with them cause of lack of receipts. They wont budge.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:10 AM

We just bought one through Smart Warranty. We went aftermarket because of price, but primarily the way Nissan wrote theirs. First line states that nothing that is wer and tearable is replaced. I'm sure there are folks that would balk at this and has had exceptional service and there are those that would warn us off.

We felt with either warranty, there's a gamble. We just wanted the 'what if protection' for 105,000 miles.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hi Shadowfox777,

I paid $800 Can almost 3 years ago for a 4 year extended warranty as the basic warranty is only 3 years. The bumper to bumper is only up to 60K Kms. Then I was really pissed when I found out that the extended warranty does not cover the struts. We have bad roads here in Montreal and I've lowered my car. To top it off I've already had to replace the front right struts 3 times. The last replacements for the left and right struts they had to do replace the strut mount bearings with their gaskets! Now it rides nice however over bumpy roads they are sometimes noisy. I have not decided if I should change them to GR2s. I hear the Nissan OEM struts are better a lot better than the GR2s although some org members will tell you otherwise.
Anyway, I can't believe that struts are not covered by the extended warranty! Oh and as for the low price on this extended warranty, it was a special offer by the stealership up here since they were "buying" back my lemon 04 SL and replaced it with a 04 SE. I also took the replacement insurance (in case of theft or write off). It was cheaper over 4 years than the independant insurance.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:02 PM

I bought the extended warranty from dealer (Security Plus thru Nissan) and it was well worth it for my 04 (bought used a month ago as it just got out of original warranty). The CD changer went out after a week. They replaced it with no questions asked. Struts went out, they replaced them. Also the steering had a play and they replaced the whole steering rack plus re-aligned. A bracket at the exhaust was making a rattle noise as well (covered in a TSB), etc... I bet I would have to pay a load for these... My cost for these? $0. Also as people mentioned, I've got rentals every time they had the car in the shop. Paid $1250 for up to 7 years or 100k as a wrapper around the power train warranty.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:26 PM

I bought my 05 in 4/06 and purchased the 7yr warr $1200 . I figure if I blow the engine/tranny it paid for itself. Its just that extra insurance/piece of mind ! Think how much would you spend on your own to replace it!