6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Got rear-ended...sorta

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 05:27 PM

Got rear-ended...sorta

I don't really know what happened, but when I got out from work today, I saw a black "line" running across the rear bumper. When I got closer, I realize that my max has been scratched! it runs about 5" - 6" long and maybe the widest part is about 1 - 2mm. anyways, with this "dimension", do you guys have a ballpark figure of how much I would be paying in the bodyshop? (or should I just use the "pen"...) Thanks guys!
Old 06-02-2006, 05:33 PM

What is the "pen?"
Old 06-02-2006, 05:34 PM

touch up pen by nissan...
Old 06-02-2006, 07:57 PM
KC's FINEST

Post pics...

Where is Hayti MO???
Old 06-02-2006, 08:09 PM

i'm in the same boat here. except i have a black max with a white line in the front bumper really looking forward to an answer to this. monday i'll be calling up some places to get some prices, but it'll help if i can get a ballpark figure or advice in here:-)
Old 06-02-2006, 08:29 PM

When did u get hit? Anyways, a friend told me that the whole bumper might have to be re-painted. I hope it's not gonna be more than $200...
Old 06-02-2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Post pics...

Where is Hayti MO???
Hayti is in the "BootHeel". But we just moved to Jonesboro, AR. I was so excited to drive to our new house today after work...till I saw the ugly black scratch in my rear bumper! which part of MO are you at?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by joemax1
Hayti is in the "BootHeel". But we just moved to Jonesboro, AR. I was so excited to drive to our new house today after work...till I saw the ugly black scratch in my rear bumper! which part of MO are you at?
Hey, I was just a few miles away from Jonesboro this last weekend, although we didn't make it into Jonesboro proper (I heard that there is a ton of new construction there though...).

Sorry about your scratch though. How deep is it?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:02 PM

That depends on the scratch. Is it just a "scratch" or more like a deep gash? Or is it a dent. Likely it won't cost much. On my '05 when I was bumped into at a parking lot it was going to cost me $725. But that's a lot of work. I would be surprised if your scratch (should be only just a scratch) costs upwards of $100.

Post pics.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SHIFT_matt
That depends on the scratch. Is it just a "scratch" or more like a deep gash? Or is it a dent. Likely it won't cost much. On my '05 when I was bumped into at a parking lot it was going to cost me $725. But that's a lot of work. I would be surprised if your scratch (should be only just a scratch) costs upwards of $100.

Post pics.

Depends on the damage... I wouldn't bother with a bumper because it's just gonna happen again. The front shell alone is like $200 at the dealership, and it's primed so you have to get it painted. Repainting a banged up bumper never makes sense because it's never gonna come out the same... and if the shop has to sand it to repaint it you might as well get a new one.

If it's a light scratch you might be able to get a detailing place to fix it... they'll use touch-up paint, light sanding and polishing... but that's gonna be expensive too.

If it was the hood or a door, I'd say go for it... a bumper is absolutely not worth fixing over a scratch/line.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:06 AM

thanks guys! sorry I can't post pics right now cos I dont have my camera with me, but i guess it is a deep "scratch" cos i could see the black part underneath the paint. I'll go to a bodyshop tday and get a qote. I'll let u guys know...
Old 06-03-2006, 04:47 AM

Probably some idiot not paying attention. I have 900 miles on my car, and I came home a few days back and there was a hella door ding in the left rear fender in the crease of the body. I was sick....took it yesterday to a dent guy and he says he can do it for $35. Just get a few estimates, and see which one you like. Also....may try a few high end dealerships for a referral to a chip touch up company. Here in Tulsa, there are several who actually air brush in the color, then air brush over that with clear coat, then when near dry, they buff it off. It fills the chips/scratrches and smooth the area around them. Honestly...can't there was anything there unless you get 1 inch from it. May be a cheaper route.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:39 AM

(Grotesquely off topic here)

Matt,

Off topic I know, But it is good to see you back and running! Nice car by the way! (2nd time around)! What did you get for the wife?

Welcome Back!