6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

The Maxima is Totaled

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 08:41 PM

The Maxima is Totaled

I have always read posts with that title thinking, “That poor sap, he wrecked that wonderful car, shoulda’ thought twice about that…” And then, yesterday, on my way home from a business trip in Microsoft country, it happened to me too.

With a crashing halt my 2005 onyx Nissan Maxima SE venture came to an end. Only three months to the day and five thousand miles would make the car that brought me anxiously to this forum last.

In an unavoidable collision, I slammed into the back of an SUV on I-405. The kicker is, my wife was in her car behind me and was unable to avoid the crash as well. Both of our cars, totaled.

This is all such a huge catastrophe. Just Friday I ordered my SE-R aluminum pedals and was anxious to post pics of them installed.

So it is for now that I take my (temporary) leave from the Org. I anticipate insurance will afford the opportunity for a new car. I already have my eye on a ’06 onyx SE – hello Bluetooth! I am also tempted to buy a 20th Anniversary Max I saw for sale today, too. A car I have always admired. The options are endless.

I will keep you all posted.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

how did it happen?
Old 04-23-2006, 08:47 PM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by Gennady7
how did it happen?
In an unavoidable collision, I slammed into the back of an SUV on I-405. The kicker is, my wife was in her car behind me and was unable to avoid the crash as well. Both of our cars, totaled.
terrible...
Old 04-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Newbie just Registered

It sounds like you and your wife are okay, no injuries, right? Sorry about your cars, what kind was your wife's?
Old 04-23-2006, 09:02 PM

Yeah, I was driving and the freeway traffic locked up suddenly. I hit the car in front of me and my wife hit me. The Montero I hit actually hit a Civic in front of it. A 4-banger.

My wife got rocked by her airbag and was taken to the ER but was later released. We were both shaken but are okay.

Speaking of, as hard as I hit, NONE of my airbags deployed and I had side curtain bags too! Anyone know if this is normal?

I am headed to the towing yard tomorrow to get some stuff from the car. I'll post some pics...
Old 04-23-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
What kind was your wife's?
My wife's was a 2002 Ford ZX2. Needless to say, I am not disappointed to be losing this car. We were looking at buying a Pathfinder anyway.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Newbie just Registered

The front airbags should have deployed, unless you went under the higher bumper of the Montero and missed the airbag sensor. The side curtains only deploy on side impacts. Look at your front bumper and see if it's intact.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by SHIFT_matt
My wife's was a 2002 Ford ZX2. Needless to say, I am not disappointed to be losing this car. We were looking at buying a Pathfinder anyway.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:36 PM

Sorry about the accident. At least you and your wife are ok
Old 04-23-2006, 09:50 PM
RR5

Damn that is always the worst. I feel your pain man. Glad to see you and your wife are in good health.

I was driving to school in my 89 240sx and saw traffic was real bad, so I was going to exit the freeway but decided to hop back on and cut over 4 lanes to the fast lane. Whoops, I was going 35 and the car in front of me was stopped. So I jerked it into the carpool and nicked this cadillac. From then on, I always look ahead while on the highway. Sorry for off-topic.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:20 PM

I am sorry to hear about your accident, but the good thing is you and your wife are fine. Hey, the Max will be easily replaced, but I know that feeling, especially after only a few months. I totalled mine on Feb. 4th...only 69K, it was a 99 5-speed with all the other options.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/abradi.../ph//my_photos

I was lucky not to be injured also. Me VS light pole...light pole did get knocked off.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:37 AM
Banned

Poor sap, wrecked that wonderful car....

Sorry...Im just playin. I wrecked a pretty new car, 17k (of my dads) when i was 17. I know how it feels, but you took out 2 of your cars with one crash, wow.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just glad to hear that you and your wife made it out in one piece. hope you'll come back to the org.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:01 AM

man, sorry to hear dude...at least you and your wife are ok from this mess.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:28 AM

Unfortunately, the insurance company (and the law) will not consider your accident to be "unavoidable". Since you rearended the Montero and pushed it into the car ahead, you are responsible for both of them. Your wife will probably get at least partial responsibility for hitting your car.

Rearenders are almost always caused by following too closely. Yes, I know it's hard to keep much of a gap in freeway traffic (someone jumps in there if you do), and also that SUV's block your view ahead. Nevetheless, it's your responsibility to stay back far enough to be able to stop in time.

Enough of the lecture. I just hope you get it all squared away. Just look for some surcharges on your insurance for awhile ...
Old 04-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Unfortunately, the insurance company (and the law) will not consider your accident to be "unavoidable". Since you rearended the Montero and pushed it into the car ahead, you are responsible for both of them. Your wife will probably get at least partial responsibility for hitting your car.
That's what I was thinking as well... I have yet to see a straight-up crash deemed "unavoidable" by either the cops or the insurance (and both my brothers-in-law work for insurance companies).

Even if it's fog or ice or whatever it is, they'll almost never said it could have been avoided -- unless you're on the receiving end. If you rear-end somebody, and nobody pushed you into the crash, then unfortunately they'll say you're at fault.

But hopefully he'll get everything worked out and be able to get both cars replaced.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Banned

If he started the chain reaction by being the first one to collide with anyone just because he wasnt paying attention or something...Its obviously his fault....If the car infront of him (murano) collided with the car infront of it, causing him to hit the murano...it shouldnt be his fault. I get the feeling he started it though bc all thats mentioned is he slammed into the car infront, then his wife slammed into him. Sucks.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Not for rookies!!

Sorry to hear about this man, hopefully you can get another car that you will be happy with and that your insurance premiums won't be too high.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

help

thank you very much
Old 04-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Looks like the driving conditions where too fast and everyone was driving up each others a$$. Glad your both OK. Damn that sucks...
Old 04-24-2006, 12:00 PM

i had the impression it was unavoidable because the montero hit the civic first

he couldn't see around the montero abviously b/c of its size

thus the montero suddently stopped faster than any reasonable amount of time

he hit the montero

his wife hit him

i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt though whereas you guys assume its his fault - maybe he'll update us with the exact timing
Old 04-24-2006, 12:04 PM

dam man sorry to hear. Hope it all goes well for you.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:20 PM

sorry to hear that hurry up and get you a 06
Old 04-24-2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by OmarBadu
i had the impression it was unavoidable because the montero hit the civic first

he couldn't see around the montero abviously b/c of its size

thus the montero suddently stopped faster than any reasonable amount of time

he hit the montero

his wife hit him

i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt though whereas you guys assume its his fault - maybe he'll update us with the exact timing
Actually guys, I am not sure who hit who first. I know that the insurance company will not view it as "unavoidable" but as far as I am concerned it was.

I still don't know if the Montero hit the Civic and then I hit the Montero or if I started the whole collision. I never got the chance to really debrief the incident with the Montero driver since I had to go with my wife to the ER. I am hoping my insurance will check into this a little more. The state patrol wrote it as my wife's fault. That was more to save us both a ticket, though.

What's important to me is that she is okay -- I don't care about fault, really. My insurance rocks and they will take car of everything else.

What sucks is the Max is wrecked...but there are other cars. After talking with insurance this morning I am unsure if they will total it out. The car is worth between 27-30 grand and I don't know if there is that much damage to it.

We'll see. I will keep you all posted.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:21 PM

aww that sux ... i had something similar happen but it was me and a friend....
Old 04-24-2006, 03:21 PM

Sorry to hear about your cars, glad you guys are ok. Let us know how it turns out. I know I'm interested in the rest of the story.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:53 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

glad you are ok man, good luck with everything...
Old 04-24-2006, 05:05 PM

someones gotta do it right:-), sry to hear about it though man, glad your alright
Old 04-24-2006, 06:19 PM

sorry bro, at least everyone is ok...car id replaceable...hope to see you back in the 06 soon.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:54 PM

Matt,

What a great attitude! You weren't looking to play the blame game, you definately have your prioirities straight! You were even willing to assume that it COULD have been you. Awesome, sheer humility!

I also hope and continue to think that all will pan out alright eventually (unless we hear otherwise from you). I pray that your wife will be made whole again, free from any effects of the humdinger...I also hope the best for you and your dealings with the insurance company.

I am sorry for the event all the way around. I truly hope you and the bride get the daily drivers you'd like to have next!

God Bless on your future endeavor!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:58 PM

hey, sorry to hear about your accident.
i don't know if this'll help but i had an ex that rearended someone and caused an x-amount of car collision. when she went to court, she pled "not guilty" so the judge gave her a court date. when she appeared in court, none of the other drivers and no witnesses showed up so she got off. obviously, your outcome might be different but i just thought i'd offer a possible way out.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:31 AM
2004 Smoke

Strange the airbags didn't deploy, yet it was totaled. That doesn't really add up.

Glad you and the wife are ok - but keep in mind the "third" collision (Car against car, body against car/seatbelt and finally innards against internal body). You need to watch yourselves closely over the next week or so to make sure the third collision didn't cause any damage - especially in such a grave accident with no air bag deployment.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:40 AM

I had read/heard from my insurance company/auto body shops that they will only total vehicles if the damage is:

70% of car's blue book value: (Example one)

Math: 2005 Onyx SE or mine 2005 SL

KBB: 21-25k

70%: $17,500

(Example 2)

50%: $12,500

I know that's what it USED to be, (50%)........

Now, I'm not an adjuster, and feel free anyone to jump in here....just grapevine stuff! My .0000002 cents
Old 04-25-2006, 09:20 AM

This must be the week of accidents for the Max's. I also was in an accident on Sunday. It's pretty scary but the same thing kind of happen to me, but I was the person that got hit. I was sitting at a stand still on the Verrazano Bridge and BANG, this car hits me from behind and pushes me into the car in front of me. So I have both rear and front end damage. My airbags did not deploy, but the car that hit me did. I'm hoping the insurance company will total it out. I'll try to post pictures soon.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by angelay2k
This must be the week of accidents for the Max's. I also was in an accident on Sunday. It's pretty scary but the same thing kind of happen to me, but I was the person that got hit. I was sitting at a stand still on the Verrazano Bridge and BANG, this car hits me from behind and pushes me into the car in front of me. So I have both rear and front end damage. My airbags did not deploy, but the car that hit me did. I'm hoping the insurance company will total it out. I'll try to post pictures soon.
Wow, well I can definitely say I feel you pain. Hope you are alright. I just took pics and will post them soon. Post yours and we'll compare!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:51 PM

go with ure wife hitting u.... her car is cheaper (insurance wise) to fix and repair ...... being ethical is upto u .... not letting the insurance companies screw u .... pric..ss

i have a ltd. knowledge on airbags .... but my thinking..
since urs did not go off.... u were too slow (prob reason.. pushed from behind) .. (lightonHill/nismo could prob give more techie knowledge)

what would happen if there is a frontal collision with a car (with no passengers) ... would its airbags go off? if not ... matt -- more proof that u did not cause it, as ur bags did not go off.. u could be just a chain reaction factor (altho maxima brakes shd. be better/faster at stopping than a montero)

read abt angelay2k's experience as well..

good to hear u both are ok... but as someone else mentioned ... see how u both are, over a few days at least.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:04 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. I feel the pain.
My wife was in an accident Friday with our 04 Maxima. Shes ok but the max is not.

Ill post pics soon.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 AM

This is the wifes after hitting a deer @ 70mph. Ended up being right @ $10,000.00 to fix.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Still waiting for the pictures that everyone said they were going to post.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:26 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by Cressida
Still waiting for the pictures that everyone said they were going to post.
You've been waiting since May 1st and you still only have 2 posts???

Quick Reply: The Maxima is Totaled