6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cops Hassle Over Tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by clayman88
You two are fuccing morons. Why would you start a thread bashing the people, who protect us everyday, for doing their jobs?! Theres nothing I hate more than those who constantly disrespect and bad-mouth police. Go take your tint and your pathetic problems and shove 'em up your @$$.

If you're gonna break the law, have the ***** to own up to it and not blame other people for what you did.

Damn Clayman dont get your panties up in a bunch!!!!!
I wasnt bashing them, I just thought it was funny that in the process of him giving me a ticket he was complementing me on my car. you a**!!!
I know its illegal to have my windows tinted and i knew sonner or later I was going to get pulled over.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the info Jon, do you think Lumar is better than 3M??? Is this tint metallic?? Did you install Lumar in your Maxima??
I will call tomorrow monday and see what Tony says.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by jorgep03
Thanks for the info Jon, do you think Lumar is better than 3M??? Is this tint metallic?? Did you install Lumar in your Maxima??
I will call tomorrow monday and see what Tony says.

Thanks
No problem man...that is what we are here for..to give each other a hand.
My wife had 3M on her 330i and it was great...LLUMAR is just as good and much cheaper. GO with the LLUMAR. Click on the link to my car domain for you to see the 5% on the windows and 35% on the front.
Thanks
Jon
Old 01-23-2006, 02:02 PM

all i got to say is it sux to be u guys...lol... when i get pulled over i get away w/ it since my old man and bro are cops... the only time i get trouble is when the FHP pulls me over then i got to worry
Old 01-23-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
I think he thought you were the original poster. I had to look twice because your sigs are almost identical.
You talkin' ta ME? LOL!

Yeah, if there was a case of mistaken identity there, excuse me. I meant that for the poster who talked about his tints and the pigs.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by VQMAX05
5% tints all around and 32% on the front windshield....
cost $110.00 to put on.......
Pulled over in bumper to bumper traffic 5 mph.....and had to remove front windshield tint on the side of the expressway....and got away with a warning.......PRICELESS!!
How'd you pull your front tint off right then? I thought it was stuck on harder then that?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

shouldn't they be chasing murderers, gang bangers, dead beat dads, etc.......dark tint.....definitely they think you're trying to be above the law....
Old 01-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by install30
shouldn't they be chasing murderers, gang bangers, dead beat dads, etc.......dark tint.....definitely they think you're trying to be above the law....
Yes but on the slow murder, gang banger, dead beat dads days, tint is next on the list. Your line is just higher than the police!
Old 01-23-2006, 07:08 PM

I have understood for years the reasons behind tint laws. That is why when I got tint, I got 35 % in front so at least if a cop needs to see in my car, he or she can. I have also made it a habit of lowering all of my tinted windows whenever I get pulled over, way before the cop gets out of his/her car and begins to walk toward me. I know I am still breaking the law, but cops around here haven't bugged me for it, and the 10 times I have been pulled over (only ticketed once for tailgating) they have been harsh in the beginning, but became nicer later since I show them respect and have a clean record. Always bad apples in the bunch, but where isn't there?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I got pulled over for tint and then he gave me the shopping list and towed my car, that ****!! Dont get me started on cops. I have light tint on my drivers window and when the sunroof cover is open, it barely looks like tint and u can see in ,so there is no "officer safety" issue. Azzholes!!!
All with this car? I remember when you said you've never had a problem driving with no rear plate. Thats rough...I personally never wanted to tint this car bc it cost me about 4 tickets with my last car.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by rogertight
I have understood for years the reasons behind tint laws. That is why when I got tint, I got 35 % in front so at least if a cop needs to see in my car, he or she can. I have also made it a habit of lowering all of my tinted windows whenever I get pulled over, way before the cop gets out of his/her car and begins to walk toward me. I know I am still breaking the law, but cops around here haven't bugged me for it, and the 10 times I have been pulled over (only ticketed once for tailgating) they have been harsh in the beginning, but became nicer later since I show them respect and have a clean record. Always bad apples in the bunch, but where isn't there?
10 times, WTF are you getting pulled over for, break the cycle dude. 3 times Max in my 42 years...
Old 01-23-2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
10 times, WTF are you getting pulled over for, break the cycle dude. 3 times Max in my 42 years...
5 times for speeding, 2 times for tint, 1 for following too closely on the freeway, 1 for loud music, and 1 for taking a turn too fast(tires screached, pulled me over) . All of these due to the idiocy of my youth, only ticketed for following too closely in 2003. Now I am over all of this dumb s.h.i.t that I thought was cool when I was younger. I baby my max and rarely go more than 5 mph above the speed limit. Luckily I never hurt anyone when I did that stupid stuff. Glad I got over it. I am a pretty safe driver now
Old 01-24-2006, 03:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by install30

Don't forget the people who use salacious language...
Old 01-24-2006, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by rogertight
5 times for speeding, 2 times for tint, 1 for following too closely on the freeway, 1 for loud music, and 1 for taking a turn too fast(tires screached, pulled me over) . All of these due to the idiocy of my youth, only ticketed for following too closely in 2003. Now I am over all of this dumb s.h.i.t that I thought was cool when I was younger. I baby my max and rarely go more than 5 mph above the speed limit. Luckily I never hurt anyone when I did that stupid stuff. Glad I got over it. I am a pretty safe driver now
I hear you...

Old 01-24-2006, 07:37 AM

Well since I am a cop, or as some call us 'pigs', I can tell you that the primary reason why tint is not allowed in most states on the driver/passenger front windows is for officer safety. I do have my car tinted, always have, but when I have gotten pulled over, the first thing I do, is lower ALL the windows. That eases the cop, doesn't mean you will get off, but it does help. A good portion of the cops I work with do have their windows tinted and most of us do not pull anyone over for tinted windows. I know the next town over the cops are strict with the tint. But, as some of you have mentioned, you can't fault a cop for pulling you over when it is illegal and not all cops are bad.

Got to run.

E
Old 01-24-2006, 08:16 AM

I think "officer safety" is a cop out (pardon the pun). Cops put those bright lights on that can go thru limo tint. Besides, most if not all people LOWER their windows when red lighted by cops. If they dont, an officer can direct the perosn to do so BEFORE he/she apporaches the vehicle. Many places like Nevada and I think Arizona allow dark tint on windows due to the sunlight and concomitant heat.

When I was pulled over, the cop was on the opposite side of the road traveling opposite direction. He whipped a U turn and raced up to me to pull me over. WHat about PUBLIC safety?? These guys endanger the rest of the public to pull someone over for tint. Sorry, but thats BS. There is no legitimate reason for engaging in that activity and I think tint laws ought to be modified. I also think officers ought to use GOOD judgment in pulling someone over for tint only by balancing the pros and cons. . . . Ok, off to work.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:16 AM

I think "officer safety" is a cop out (pardon the pun). Cops put those bright lights on that can go thru limo tint. Besides, most if not all people LOWER their windows when red lighted by cops. If they dont, an officer can direct the perosn to do so BEFORE he/she apporaches the vehicle. Many places like Nevada and I think Arizona allow dark tint on windows due to the sunlight and concomitant heat.

When I was pulled over, the cop was on the opposite side of the road traveling opposite direction. He whipped a U turn and raced up to me to pull me over. WHat about PUBLIC safety?? These guys endagner the rest of the public to pull someone over for tint. Sorry, but thats BS. There is no legitimate reason for engaging in that activity and I think tint laws ought to be modified. I also think officers ought to use GOOD judgment in pulling someone over for tint only by balancing the pros and cons. . . . Ok, off to work.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:29 AM

Besides, most if not all people LOWER their windows when red lighted by cops.
I would respectfully disagree with this statement. Granted...I'm not a cop, but I seriously doubt the majority of people lower all of their windows when pulled over....especially in the winter time.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:41 AM

I lower mine. I even lower the window opposite the police car so if they look over, there is maximum light in the vehicle. I also think keeping my sky view open helps. 20% all around on this car and previous. Never been an issue for me in Colorado.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:49 AM

i'm a new 6th gen owner, looking to get tints in my car, but the laws seem really strict here.
What's the law for tints where you live?
can't be any worse than NYC
Old 01-24-2006, 04:02 PM

DeusEXMaxima, I can't tell you haven't pulled over many cars. From my experience, not ALL people lower the windows. BTW, as I stated I don't pull cars over for tint. But, the times I did..because of another infraction, they don't always lower the window, at least not here in NJ. Maybe in Upland they do, next time I am there I'll take notice. My buddy lives in Upland, been there about 3 times. Nice place. Anyway, I can't talk about all cops. I do agree with you though, some guys do take it over board, just to get to a car with tints so they can pull them over, but at the end of the day it's their call.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:28 PM

I have never seen a car pulled over where the driver didnt open his/her window. How else are u going to communicate with the officer??? If a driver is slow to roll down the window because they are searching for al lthe docs that the officer wants, the officer can ask them to roll it down or wait until they do so. There is NO officer safety issue any way u slice it. Officer safety is that catch-all phrase used when there is no rational explanation. I understand there are lots of dangers officers face, but tinted windows is the least of those problems.

EROCK: Let me know when u come out this way, we can get together if u want.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:56 PM

I have never seen a car pulled over where the driver didnt open his/her window. How else are u going to communicate with the officer??? If a driver is slow to roll down the window because they are searching for al lthe docs that the officer wants, the officer can ask them to roll it down or wait until they do so. There is NO officer safety issue any way u slice it. Officer safety is that catch-all phrase used when there is no rational explanation. I understand there are lots of dangers officers face, but tinted windows is the least of those problems.

EROCK: Let me know when u come out this way, we can get together if u want.
If it where REALLY an officer safety issue, their would be a federal law that mandated all states comply with a set tint limit. IMO, if a officer felt threatened by not being able to see into a vehicle, he could put to use the loud PA system attached to his ride and tell the vehicle driver to roll his windows down and place his hands on the steering wheel.

I'm in VA a lot with MD tags and dark tints, what the hell is the difference. Bottom line, some states are just more **** than others over BS. I always follow the tint laws regardless of the dumba$$ who made the stupid rule.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:30 PM

Deus...I'll give you a holla next time I am heading out that way. I won't have a Max unfortunately, just some rental piece of ****. Graziano's pizza ain't bad for Cali, not like NYC pizza but pretty good none the less.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:15 PM

Im from back east, so I know good pizza too. Ur right, its not bad but its not east coast either.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:34 AM

hey smokemaximus, what part of houston are you in? what mods you got?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone knows of a good tinting place in the Western Suburbs of Chicago and any suggestions on how dark I should go. I'm thinking of 35% front sides, 20% rear and back.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:33 PM

Got a ticket last week and all you have to do is get a letter from the precint stating you removed it and mail it in with the ticket
Old 02-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

First Post - Hi all

I just wanted to add this link to an unofficial summary of state limits for window tints by the "International Window Film Association." Might be helpful.

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm
Old 02-21-2006, 07:09 PM

If the officer can not see in the vehicle he has the right to be concerned about officer safety, and ask the driver to roll down the window, here in VA the legal limit is 50% on front and 35% on the rear...As a former police, if a vehicle looks as if the driver is up to something I would use tint, activity, etc as a means to stop the vehicle and based on the driver actions I may or may not cut short my communication with them....Remember in VA, they can stop you for no front plate, Clear and smoke covers over plates, loud music, and tint etc...
Old 02-21-2006, 08:06 PM

Using other means as a fishing expedition for other possible offenses is illegal and called a pre-textual stop. There is ample caselaw against that kind of activity and if it were proven to be the case, any evidence u got would be tainted, and therefore INADMISSIBLE, baby!!! I understand officer safety, but as many of the prior posts indicate, when an officer pulls someone over, and the window comes down, no officer safety issue. Further, if tint is legal in Nevada, which it is, and a Nevada driver drives to California where it is illegal, the Nevada driver is in "violation" of the law and thus is vulnerable to a ticket. Therefore, to avoid being in violation, the Nevada driver would not be able to drive legally in Cali which is a Constitutional violation of right to travel amongst the several states. Bottom line, tint violations are Bulls<>t and u damn well know it.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
That's cool, I think we all tend to have a lead foot when we're younger but it sure is a pain in the wallet for the ticket and insurance. As a parent I am sad to read almost every day about how another family is destroyed b/c their kids were killed in an auto accident. I hope I never get that call. Let's keep it safe out there while we still enjoy our cars.

In the wild west, when men with guns would sit behind bushes and rob you of your money they were called bandits now they are called highway patrol. I am all for the police to patrol our streets to keep us safe but I do hate it when I hear stories of people getting tickets for doing 71 in a 65. Yeah its speeding but most likely just keeping up with the flow of traffic. I actually had a friend that was driving in LA about 15 years ago while there on vacation and he was doing 55 in a 55 and he got ticketed for impeding traffic!!! I don't mind it when they pop the guy doing 110 and weaving in and out of traffic like it was Daytona.
As an FYI for all of the speeders out there... when I was young and dumb, I use to own a 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo (funnest car I've ever driven I might add) anyways, I got a ticket one time in Missouri on the interstate going 112mph in a 65 zone. This really sucked as I figured I would probably lose my license and pay rediculous insurance for the next 3 years. On a whim I called a lawyer in the middle of nowhere and told him about my ticket and inquired if there was anything that could be done to ensure it would not hit my insurance. He advised me to send him the ticket and $150 and he would see what he could do. Luckily, he called me two days later and told me that the ticket was dropped to a "defective equipment" charge which is a non moving violation. $200 fine and no impact to my driving record. If anyone out there gets a bad speeding ticket I would STRONGLY advise looking into this. Have fun and always remember to where your seat belt.

TB2211
Old 02-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

SmokedOutMaxi; I thought Northern VA cops were easy on people with tint unless they saw your windows with limo tint. I have 35% on mine all around and never got stopped on any of my cars which all have 35%. That is dark enough for me plus having a dark interior makes it look even darker.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 3.5 Lover
SmokedOutMaxi; I thought Northern VA cops were easy on people with tint unless they saw your windows with limo tint. I have 35% on mine all around and never got stopped on any of my cars which all have 35%. That is dark enough for me plus having a dark interior makes it look even darker.
Depends on what part of Northern Va. your referring too. Northern Va. closest to the Alexandria, McLean, Tyson’s Corner and anywhere that borders the Washington DC area the cops have achieved Storm Trooper status.

I have never traveled though that area without seeing at least 10-15 rides lit up. Can’t confirm the violations initially pulled over for however the probability is high because once pulled over for anything, the Storm Troopers now have weapons free to blast you for other ****.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:42 PM

remember a officer can stop you for any activity that he deems is a cause for an investigation, children not strapped in, tint, changing lanes with no signal, after market exhaust, which is not original to vehicle, large wings, red or blue neon lights or any kind, which are prohibited in VA...Now if you get a ticket I dont know about calling a lawyer and who can get a ticket drop to a lower charge, but I can say there will many who tried with me....but it didnt happen, once I wrote I was not going to change it, plus in VA once it is turn in a the end of an officers shift the only way it can be lower to a lesser charge is on the day of court by the judge....But once again that one from what I know first hand here in VA...Basically, the right thing to do is drive and operate your vehicle according to the law of your county, city or state
Old 02-22-2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Davidx34
remember a officer can stop you for any activity that he deems is a cause for an investigation, children not strapped in, tint, changing lanes with no signal, after market exhaust, which is not original to vehicle, large wings, red or blue neon lights or any kind, which are prohibited in VA...Now if you get a ticket I dont know about calling a lawyer and who can get a ticket drop to a lower charge, but I can say there will many who tried with me....but it didnt happen, once I wrote I was not going to change it, plus in VA once it is turn in a the end of an officers shift the only way it can be lower to a lesser charge is on the day of court by the judge....But once again that one from what I know first hand here in VA...Basically, the right thing to do is drive and operate your vehicle according to the law of your county, city or state
Well said, however I hope I never get a ticket as long as this sentence...
Old 02-23-2006, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Davidx34
Basically, the right thing to do is drive and operate your vehicle according to the law of your county, city or state
. . . .
Old 02-24-2006, 02:08 PM

I.c

I.C
Old 02-24-2006, 02:10 PM

. There is ample caselaw against that kind of activity and if it were proven to be the case, any evidence u got would be tainted, and therefore INADMISSIBLE, baby!!!
I would like to know