6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Front fender and bumper removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Front fender and bumper removal

Who has done this. I will be getting my new r/f fender replaced and also my bumper fixed. I will remove them and install them myself to save on labor cost. I need someone to give me a heads up on these. I know some have done this because of the modded bumpers and fenders. thanks.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:51 PM
*moderator*

I have done the bumper plenty of times:
Bumper removal:
1.) Remove 4 screws (2 each side) on the bottom of the bumper, below where the cornering lights are. These hold the plastic undercarriage pieces to the bumper.
2.) Remove plastic "skid plate" by removing plastic "screw bolts" (like the ones that hold the grill on under the hood). I believe there's like 5 across the bottom.
3) There 2 screws on each side that hold the bumper in place (just below the headlights) Turn your wheel all the way to the left (for passenger side) Pull back the fenderwell to gain access behind the bumper. 1st screw/bolt is right there by the edge and the 2nd is furthur down about 3/4 to the front of the headlamp assembly.
3.) Under the hood, there's the plastic clips/bolts that hold the grill and bumper in place, you don't have to remove the grill from the bumper if you don't need to. Remove the plastic clips farthest to the outside. This should release the bumper from the car completely. (oh and first remove the plastic air duct thing that flows air to the intake)
Old 01-06-2006, 03:06 AM

Thanks bro, I will get to it saturday. That should help greatly. If someone could help me on the fender then I will be set! Thanks Jsmith!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:41 PM

Excellent instructions on the bumper removal. Now for the fender. You have to remove the bumper to remove the fender. One bolt on the lower front fender that is visable when you remove the bumper. You have 4 bolts on top of the fender to remove. Also loosen the two bolts that hold the headlight on. The fender slides under those. There is one bolt on the rear of the fender in between the door and the fender. it's 3/4 the way up the fender. There are a 2 clips in the wheel with screws in them and also a single screw.The clips are plastic ones that hold the plastic fender well to the fender. Also you have to remove the mud flap, I think there are 3 screws for that . then you pull out the bottom plastic cover. (the one that runs the entire length of the doors.) You only have to remove the first two screws on the plastic runner. Dont pull it out all the way just enough to get to the last bolt. after that then the fender comes right off.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeMaximus
Excellent instructions on the bumper removal. Now for the fender. You have to remove the bumper to remove the fender. One bolt on the lower front fender that is visable when you remove the bumper. You have bolts on top of the fender to remove. There are a couple clips in the wheel well to remove. they are plastic ones that hold the plastic fender well to the fender. Also you have to remove the mud flap . then you pull out the bottom plastic cover. (the one that runs the entire length of the doors.) Dont pull it out all the way just enough to get to the last bolt. after that then the fender comes right off.
on those instructions... pretty good.

One note though... the mud flap removal is via a couple of screws on the bottom, and you have to remove it before taking out the plastic wheel well. IIRC from when I did mine, there are plenty of screws and clips in there (at least 6?) so if you tug and it doesn't come loose, look around because there's probably a clip or 2 still left. The ones that I didn't see right away were at 12 o'clock, all the way up in the well and the other 2 holding the wheel well to the bumper.

It's not a hard job, it's just dirty and you have to pay attention so you don't break anything.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:22 PM

not to jack the thread but is the rear bumper removed the same way?
Old 01-08-2006, 03:11 PM
*moderator*

Thanks bro, I will get to it saturday. That should help greatly. If someone could help me on the fender then I will be set! Thanks Jsmith!

No worries, how'd it go???
(add any details I might have missed after you've done it,
it has been a while!!)
Old 01-08-2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
No worries, how'd it go???
(add any details I might have missed after you've done it,
it has been a while!!)
Ah I already replied! You must have missd that! Thanks dude. Yeah vig your right I did leave out the screws on the bottom og the plastic runner on the doors. I only needed to remove the first 2 screws. Its easy. Just be careful you dont scratch anything. I will be taking the parts into the dealer to be fixed and painted. I am on hold for my carputer install untill this is done. Anyone have a AAI-NIS pac adapter by the way
Old 01-08-2006, 07:50 PM
*moderator*

Ah I already replied! You must have missd that! Thanks dude. Yeah vig your right I did leave out the screws on the bottom og the plastic runner on the doors. I only needed to remove the first 2 screws. Its easy. Just be careful you dont scratch anything. I will be taking the parts into the dealer to be fixed and painted. I am on hold for my carputer install untill this is done. Anyone have a AAI-NIS pac adapter by the way

Oh duh sorry, glad to have helped out!! Maybe NIsmo can add these to the stickies...
Old 01-08-2006, 08:07 PM
SuPeRmOd

um, how about rear bumper while you're all at in? then it can be a "one stop shop" sticky.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:05 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
um, how about rear bumper while you're all at in? then it can be a "one stop shop" sticky.

Haven't been there yet. Anyone else??
Old 01-09-2006, 03:43 AM

No I havent, But I know someone on here has though. We need to get ahold of someone that has put the body kit on.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:23 PM

How long does it take to remove the front bumper? I may have to remove my bumper to install headlight bulbs.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:07 PM
*moderator*

I can do it in 10-15 minutes, for a first timer I'd say no more that 1/2 an hour...
Old 02-25-2007, 05:08 AM

Thanks. Considering it's going to rain around 3pm, I will be starting this today at 8:30am. Wish me luck...
Old 02-25-2007, 09:26 AM

Alright, so from start to finish it took me about 3 1/2 hours. That was with coffee breaks, stretching and finding out I have no skid plate. Only to find out I had the wrong bulb. I bought Xenon bulbs which are the wrong bulbs for my car, my car has halogen bulbs. Oh well, since I'm gettin reimbursed for the labor at the stealership, I guess my time will not count for nothing. However, now I know how to remove the bumber and fender, what a pain... I am done doing labor to this car other than air filter and incabin filter, pcv, change oil, east to do exterior lights, and filling up the gas tank.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Changing Headlights

I took my bumper off for the first time and it took me about half an hour. I did it to change one of my hids on the drivers side, but it didnt help??? The new bulb didnlt light up and the housing seems to have moisture in it? I think I need a new housing because all the bulbs seem fine. The light didnt have moisture in it when i began to do all of this? I am so confused so I am just going to buy a complete housing for the drivers side.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:52 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by Lexanis
I took my bumper off for the first time and it took me about half an hour. I did it to change one of my hids on the drivers side, but it didnt help??? The new bulb didnlt light up and the housing seems to have moisture in it? I think I need a new housing because all the bulbs seem fine. The light didnt have moisture in it when i began to do all of this? I am so confused so I am just going to buy a complete housing for the drivers side.

wow dead thread...

wtf? umm... and yea ... u r way offtopic
Old 09-03-2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lexanis
Come on now d00d, don't be embarrassin' the IL people!

lol jk
Old 06-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

bumper removal

thanks really helped! my fog lights burned out and 1 headlight.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:59 AM

Make sure you lay a blanket down under the bumper so it don't scratch.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:48 PM

What about the Rear Bumper

Hey guys, great instructions on the front and fender bumpers, i still need help in removing my rear bumper.

Stupid me backed into a post and left a dent on the left side of my rear bumper, no major damage, just a popped in dent. i figured i can just remove the numper and pop the dent out. touch up paint and buff the scuff marks.

is my thinking rational? please advise.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Gents I need help Removing the Rear Bumper on MAxima 2005. Bought a BAck Up Sensors and need to install them. Does anyone done this task????
Old 01-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gents also my Fog lights don't work and would like to install new ones on the Bumper instead of the ones in the Headlamp. Any thoughs?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Doc
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
I have done the bumper plenty of times:
Bumper removal:
1.) Remove 4 screws (2 each side) on the bottom of the bumper, below where the cornering lights are. These hold the plastic undercarriage pieces to the bumper.
2.) Remove plastic "skid plate" by removing plastic "screw bolts" (like the ones that hold the grill on under the hood). I believe there's like 5 across the bottom.
3) There 2 screws on each side that hold the bumper in place (just below the headlights) Turn your wheel all the way to the left (for passenger side) Pull back the fenderwell to gain access behind the bumper. 1st screw/bolt is right there by the edge and the 2nd is furthur down about 3/4 to the front of the headlamp assembly.
3.) Under the hood, there's the plastic clips/bolts that hold the grill and bumper in place, you don't have to remove the grill from the bumper if you don't need to. Remove the plastic clips farthest to the outside. This should release the bumper from the car completely. (oh and first remove the plastic air duct thing that flows air to the intake)

I used your easy to follow directions today as i had several bulbs in need of replacement. Thank you for the help even though it was not directed toward me.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 PM

i just took off my ugly body kit! took me 2 minutes! to install the new one took me a lil longer i didnt connect the bumper to the fenders yet cause i didnt have the correct clips + i didnt screw the bottoms since i bought a used bumper and they are rusted to **** so i probably pb blast it off and do it at some point i got lazy and duck taped the bottom i had the correct clips for under the hood..

does anyone know what type of bolt or clip i need for the bumper to the fender?
Old 04-27-2015, 07:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2012 front bumper removal

Is removing the front bumper on a 2012 pretty much the same as the 09? 4 bolts and a bunch of push plugs at the top and around the bottom?