6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

ABS Broken, 47k on the car....covered under warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Banned

ABS Broken, 47k on the car....covered under warrenty?

My Brakes went crazy the other day and now the Brake and ABS lights are both on. Now there is no ABS, whereas before the ABS would activate all the time and make alot of noise. I couldnt find anything in the warrenty book about this for the 60,000 mi. warrenty...and its not powertrain, so I take it im going to have a big repair bill tommarow when its taken in. Svc dept is closed today, just wondering if anyone knows how much this kind of problem usually costs.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Likely a defective ABS sensor on one wheel. Figure at couple hundred at least.

CM
Old 01-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Banned

I drove all day today and with the ABS off it brakes as normal...Too bad this is probobly not going to be under warrenty though I think a safety feature should be, just like seatbelts. I really wish this car didnt have ABS in the first place, from my experiences it does not work as good as pumping non-abs brakes.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Newbie just Registered

Damn that sucks. Keep us posted...
Old 01-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Let us know the outcome...
Old 01-02-2006, 04:32 PM
2004 Smoke

I hate to say it, but it appears this is one vehicle that you really need extended warranty with - good hunch on my part when I bought my 04 Max (and first Nissan). I am covered on most everything until 84 months.

I never bought extended warranty with my Hondas - most reviews stated the extended warranty was a waste and it was.

I have had so many things fixed on my Max in the first 1.5 years ownership, and so many days lost in the shop (with all the pain that causes), it is depressing. I
I was in one more time the other day trying to get rid of the shimmy (no luck) and getting the power lumbar seat TSB fix. I am now scheduling the latest - an f-ing subframe replacement - another day lost in the shop. It just doesn't end. I really love the car, but the quality unfortunately sucks.

Net - I am not surprised the ABS blew at only 50K.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Banned

Yeah, stupid car....its really unacceptable. Their shop rate is $90/hr to even look, im taking it to a different shop that works on nissans and hopefully its not too expensive, I am not hard on this car at all either..its a shame. I didnt plan on being a repeat nissan buyer anyway, I just want 2 more yrs problem free and im out, is that too much to ask? lol
Old 01-03-2006, 07:30 PM

You may got a bad apple. Any make/model has some of those. I bought a Corolla w/extended warranty and actually got my money worth. Bought 2 Accords and wish we got extended warranty. Got a Max and a Pathfinder and happy I didnot get extended warranties. My in-laws are Honda fans and their Hondas got SES, ABS lights on quite often. And most of their cars have been routinely serviced by dealers. For me, the only time I go to the dealers will be when I bought the cars. Or when I need warranty service. So far, if my current 2nd Max hold up well until my next car purchase, I will buy another Nissan. Otherwise I will pack up and leave as I left Toyota and Honda awhile back.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

BlackMaxx, I just purchased a used 04 Maxima, it's got 41K miles and the ABS light is coming on for me too. I've had no strange behavior from the brakes, well at least nothing like you first experienced (although I'm aware that the ABS will not activate if I ever have to lock the brakes up). The driver side brake rotor is warped but other than that, the brakes seem to operate fine. I'm interested in seeing what kind of luck and diagnosis you get from the dealer. Meantime I'm planning to at least replace the rotors on this thing.

How does one diagnose a bad ABS sensor? Is there anything else that can trigger the ABS light?
Old 01-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Banned

Well, Its about $90 (shop rate) to even find out at the dealer. You need to go somewhere where they have the equipment needed to analyze the abs system. Only before the light came on was the braking system going wacky...now I just dont have ABS...and im ok with that, but I am still fixing it. Its going to be taken to a local shop this weekend where they arent going to screw me just to tell me how expensive the fix is. Im hoping its just a sensor, because the control units themselves can cost $1000 or more...which would make me want to burn the car on the spot. Ill keep ya posted.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:19 AM
Banned

Update...ther shop I went to was unable to get a code, but said they can get me into a shop that has a more advanced computer that might work. I might end up just biting the bullet at the dealer in the end.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Not positive but believe nissan is the only place that can read the code.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05MAXSE
Not positive but believe nissan is the only place that can read the code.
I wouldnt be suprised....thats why im just going to the dealer this weekend rather than running around
Old 01-12-2006, 05:44 PM

it is a code for sure....dont let the dealer order the part if you need one. go to 1stnissanparts.com and get it yourself...about 40% cheaper than dealer on everything
Old 01-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

Update for those who are interested: It was a broken rear wheel sensor. It costs $180+$85 Labor. Disagnostics today were $85.

I just told them to order it, I don't want to deal with shops that dont have the right equipment even if it means saving a few bucks. Sucks, but it isnt a devastating amount.
-$350
Old 01-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Newbie just Registered

I thought it was those little plactic wheel sensors. You probably got some thing stuck between the teeth. $85/hr labor is pretty steep, I see $60-70/hr.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned

Whatever it is, I don't know how or have time to fix it anyway...I hope this was the worst problem the car has while I own it.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

let us know how this turns out
Old 01-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Banned

These things suck, but I tend to forgive the car when I get on the highway and take it to the limit.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:13 AM
Banned

I said I'd keep you posted, finally fixed and here is what happened.

First they ordered a rear wheel sensor, charged me $200 for it, and I waitied 3weeks for it on backorder only to find it wasnt the problem.

They tell me at that time the ABS actuator is faulty and needs to be replaced at a cost of $1,475.

I have 50,000mi, and this is not a powertrain issue, so i flip out at the dealer and argue with the sales manager and technician for an hour that evening vowing to spread the word that I was mislead into paying $200 after being told this was what would solve the problem. I leave the dealer with my ABS still broken and owing them $90 for the labor they did to put the part on that didnt fix the car.

They call me back the next day to tell me they have looked into the situation and have "decided to make good on their promise to fix the problem" They ordered the $1475 part and told me they will fix it free of charge.

3 weeks go by again, finally get the car back to them on a monday morning, I get a call that afternoon and they tell me they need it another day but they will give me a rental car. I leave work and go get an '05 Aveo at Enterprise. Next day get a call saying the rear pads are 99% worn, I say go ahead and change them for $160, fronts fine.
Bring the Aveo back tuesday after work and during the inspection the guy says there is a dent on it that wasnt there before. The car was salty and dirty when given to me and I know this dent was impossible because I know where I parked, it was not my fault. Well, shortly after that scare the stupid kid finds something in the computer saying it was previously filed...I told them to clean the damn cars and keep better records. So back to the dealer after that hassle and They have done the power seat fix under warrenty, installed the ABS actuator at no charge to me, and I have new brake pads in back, $comes to $260 because of the $90 I said Id pay for the prevous work I didnt pay for.

All In all I came out on top, but this would have been a $2,000 job If I was not the original owner, and quite frankly, I wouldnt even bother fixing it if that were the case...I have ABS, no warning light...all over now, 2.5mo. later...so if you see that ABS light come on, brace yourself.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I said I'd keep you posted, finally fixed and here is what happened.

First they ordered a rear wheel sensor, charged me $200 for it, and I waitied 3weeks for it on backorder only to find it wasnt the problem.

They tell me at that time the ABS actuator is faulty and needs to be replaced at a cost of $1,475.

I have 50,000mi, and this is not a powertrain issue, so i flip out at the dealer and argue with the sales manager and technician for an hour that evening vowing to spread the word that I was mislead into paying $200 after being told this was what would solve the problem. I leave the dealer with my ABS still broken and owing them $90 for the labor they did to put the part on that didnt fix the car.

They call me back the next day to tell me they have looked into the situation and have "decided to make good on their promise to fix the problem" They ordered the $1475 part and told me they will fix it free of charge.

3 weeks go by again, finally get the car back to them on a monday morning, I get a call that afternoon and they tell me they need it another day but they will give me a rental car. I leave work and go get an '05 Aveo at Enterprise. Next day get a call saying the rear pads are 99% worn, I say go ahead and change them for $160, fronts fine.
Bring the Aveo back tuesday after work and during the inspection the guy says there is a dent on it that wasnt there before. The car was salty and dirty when given to me and I know this dent was impossible because I know where I parked, it was not my fault. Well, shortly after that scare the stupid kid finds something in the computer saying it was previously filed...I told them to clean the damn cars and keep better records. So back to the dealer after that hassle and They have done the power seat fix under warrenty, installed the ABS actuator at no charge to me, and I have new brake pads in back, $comes to $260 because of the $90 I said Id pay for the prevous work I didnt pay for.

All In all I came out on top, but this would have been a $2,000 job If I was not the original owner, and quite frankly, I wouldnt even bother fixing it if that were the case...I have ABS, no warning light...all over now, 2.5mo. later...so if you see that ABS light come on, brace yourself.
'05 Aveo huh? Painful. Good to hear your problem got fixed.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:24 AM
Banned

Why don't you have ABS?

THe Aveo is kind of embarassing...but it actually isnt that bad to drive, it has more pep then I ever expected, and handling is ok. I expected a little bit more, but it was only for a day.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Why don't you have ABS?
Brain fart, I have ABS, I was thiking TCS/VSS...
Old 03-22-2006, 07:14 AM

This is a good argument for never having a car that's not in warranty. Cars these days are just so complex and expensive to fix that it's nuts to have to pay for it yourself.

That's one reason I lease for 3 years, then get a new one. I never have to buy anything for my cars, except occasionally a set of tires, and I never have to lay awake at night wondering how much a repair is going to cost me.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:19 AM

After reading this thread, amongst many others i'm glad i purchased an extended warranty for my Max. I've had major issues and minor as well, but never have i had so many problems with a car that has such limited mileage (31,xxx). Perhaps I got the short end of the stick on this particular car, but none-the-less I still love my car (just not the visits to the dealer)
Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Newbie just Registered

What ever the problem was, I'm glad it's fixed w/ minimal cost to you. 50K miles or not, the car is too new for these major parts to go bad. I think your stealer has inexperience service techs. I had many issues w/ a few stealerships before, even w/ a big Mercedes stealer. Find a mechanic shop you can trust for a second oppinion, especially on big jobs; warranty or not.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:30 AM

Ouch! That has to hurt!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Banned

I totally agree with the warrenty issue, im not buying another nissan because of the 3/36 comprehensive, and lets face it, there are plenty of non powertrain problems that can happen up to 60k. I will go infiniti, lexus, or BMW and have a 4/50k bumper to bumper and dump the car after that...no way will i fork over thousands of dollars for an extended warrenty either. Believe me, when it hits 60k ill be shoppin!
Old 03-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I purchased a warranty 2 months ago....a full 1 1/2 years after I got the car. A Nissan Extended Warranty Gold Perferred cost me 879.00. It is either
72,000 or 84,000 I can't remember.

Thanks to reading all the posts here, I thought it would be smart to use part of my tax refund now and have a peice of mind.