6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

The truth about bolt - ons.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The truth about bolt - ons.

I know there has been alot of skepticism regauding bolt on parts such as intakes etc. and there power gains. Possibly because of our ECU's going back to factory settings after a certain amount of time.
I can't exactly tell you why we are not seeing any power with these mods ( fellaz feel free to tell me) but I can say that I did confirm this.

I have a berk intake , ce y pipe, and no resonator on my max, and I raced my friend with a bone stock max ( both automatics...BOO). We ran a couple times from a standstill on a long straightaway, and let me tell you this, the cars were dead even. My car deffinatly sounded a hell of alot better, but as far as performance I seen 0 difference. I'm pretty disappointed to tell you the truth and this is pretty much keeping me from buying a catback system as well.
Any suggestions.
Rocco
Old 12-18-2005, 08:37 PM
Redlinemax Owner

As said before buy an Safc and tune the car you should gain quite a bit of horsepower
Old 12-18-2005, 09:17 PM

go internal and ull feel the difference
Old 12-18-2005, 09:18 PM

I think MOST inexpensive bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, even a y-pipe), will only really add sound and style. Just my 2 cents.

Taylor
Old 12-19-2005, 12:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by logik05se
I know there has been alot of skepticism regauding bolt on parts such as intakes etc. and there power gains. Possibly because of our ECU's going back to factory settings after a certain amount of time.
I can't exactly tell you why we are not seeing any power with these mods ( fellaz feel free to tell me) but I can say that I did confirm this.

I have a berk intake , ce y pipe, and no resonator on my max, and I raced my friend with a bone stock max ( both automatics...BOO). We ran a couple times from a standstill on a long straightaway, and let me tell you this, the cars were dead even. My car deffinatly sounded a hell of alot better, but as far as performance I seen 0 difference. I'm pretty disappointed to tell you the truth and this is pretty much keeping me from buying a catback system as well.
Any suggestions.
Rocco
Could it be that you are running an auto and it is tuning out the gains. With just intake I gained 1.2 mpg (after I stopped playing with it) and a little gain over the other max I play with here in denver with my 6spd.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:38 AM

I have a berk intake , ce y pipe, and no resonator on my max, and I raced my friend with a bone stock max ( both automatics...BOO). We ran a couple times from a standstill on a long straightaway, and let me tell you this, the cars were dead even. My car definitely sounded a hell of alot better, but as far as performance I seen 0 difference. I'm pretty disappointed to tell you the truth and this is pretty much keeping me from buying a catback system as well.
Any suggestions.
Rocco
Your honesty and scientific nature are commendable!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by netmoi
Could it be that you are running an auto and it is tuning out the gains. With just intake I gained 1.2 mpg (after I stopped playing with it) and a little gain over the other max I play with here in denver with my 6spd.
HENCE WE NEED AN ECU
Old 12-19-2005, 08:07 AM

I'm wondering how many people here have dynoed their mods.

I just bought a new 05 and would like to pep it up a bit, but if it's useless, I'll opt out.

Surely there are dynos of stock and modded VQ's showing differences in power. Also, I'm sure a few of the dynos occured several weeks (if not months) after the mod was put on.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:08 AM

well i have a fourth gen automatic and use to run my boys bmw 535 auto . he had some chips and exhaust and use to kill me off the line everytime. when i put my catback and open airfilter i pulled on him like several cars and he swore i was juicing, lol. it made a difference to my car nothing crazy but a difference. maybe you got leaks somewhere robbing the power.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:31 AM

If the y pipe and intake were to say give you 15hp. It's not going to make a huge difference on a 3500lbs car. Given brand new vehilces can dyno as much or a bit more then 5 hp apart.

I also think because of it being an automatic you wouldn't benifit as much from a small gain.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:08 AM

Both Manuals?

But really, on this Nissan it's hard to get anything else out of it without a full tune. Not much left on the tables for just bolt-ons.

If you tune you'll feel a difference.

If you go internal you will really feel a difference.

Safc is a good halfway until we can get some full on tunes to the ECU. (Or you can go aftermarket...your call).

Bolt-ons for any car are pretty much looks. Some of the older guys know this. If we get +1hp from bolt-ons it's just icing.

Edit: I just noticed I keep saying 'we'. Ha...
Old 12-19-2005, 12:23 PM

im guessing when you say internals you mean cams...and i dont know what else.

besides like bore and stroke, but i cant see that being done to a max.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:33 PM
andymax95

there is a wide variance in the the air fuel curves ( the ecu map) and with the mods we are doing ( freeing up air) the variance still falls under the same curves. Basically, if we are putting more air into our engines the ecu is set-up were the fuel amount isn't being adjusted because it still can compensate the the extra air coming in with the stock fuel settings. Hard to explain but makes sense if you know how to read graphs

Old 12-19-2005, 12:58 PM

you sure its the car and not the driver???
Old 12-19-2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 05MaXiMaMenG
you sure its the car and not the driver???
100% possitive.
try me.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:26 PM
MDS

Before I added my Berk, I did several hand held 0-60 times. After the Berk, my 0-60 time was .25 seconds quicker. It's not much, but for me, it was a consistent improvement.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:41 PM

having an auto must really be my downfall then....

then again, were you conditions the same, how long was the mod in etc....lots of factors.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:27 PM

just like the 5.5 gens, ypipes dont do much, on older maxs 4th gen, you lost the cats and gained power. my 02 6spd dyno'd 218 WHP/228 TQ with a short ram and y-pipe. on the 3.5s you need headers and a VAFC-II to tune it. one guy got 33 WHP from headers alone! i have both and they are going on sometime early next year!
Old 12-19-2005, 02:37 PM

Yep. Throw on headers and try to honestly tell me you didn't feel a difference. CAIs and Exhausts have little effect. You often need an honest to god 10 hp to feel any kind of difference.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:26 PM

headers I can imagine will definatly give a gain that i will notice, I also really want to advance my timing my friend did it to his altima se-r ( as well as a few other things) and the car is a beast.

I really think I'm going to have to take the jump and just send me ecu in to be reprogrammed.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:29 PM
dot dot dot ...

I really think I'm going to have to take the jump and just send me ecu in to be reprogrammed.
Does TS do this for A34's now?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:26 PM

Were were all you guys when I was arguing this point in the header thread. This thread is a polar opposite of people who actually belive the truth about bolt on stuff.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:06 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Scott D.
Were were all you guys when I was arguing this point in the header thread. This thread is a polar opposite of people who actually belive the truth about bolt on stuff.
Am I stupid, because this makes no sense to me
Old 12-20-2005, 12:02 AM

The mod that I really noticed the most gains was my Cattman exhaust. That combined with a y pipe makes for clear SOTP improvement.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:36 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

headers I can imagine will definatly give a gain that i will notice, I also really want to advance my timing my friend did it to his altima se-r ( as well as a few other things) and the car is a beast.

wait a week or so, they are almost finished with the one I sent to technosquare to be reprogrammed. after that they will be produced for everyone..
Old 12-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

WHats up ROcco.... BY the way he car is hot. Heres my 2 cents on this subject since i was the one who he raced . 1st of all the y pipe isnt as affective on the 6th gen as it is on the 4th gen. 4gth gens reposnded very well to mods. My auto 4th gen with a ypipe gained a full car lenght in 0-60.
2nd reason why we were dead even is due to the fact that u have heavy *** 18 inch chrome rims...... and i have 17'z. REgardless of that fact when it came down to real power like at 4000+ rpms we were exactly the same.... From what i remember all these mods where realy good on the highway 3rd gear pull, thats where they came in the most you could def feel a HUGE diff as apposed to 0-60. PLus you might want to do some weight reduction, maybe spare tire out or someother stuff. to tell you the truth i was surprised a little on how close we where, i thought for sure you would leave me standing. Rocco lets get the timing advanced and SAFC tune.... find out where and how much and lets do IT. Representing the 6th gen 1 mod at a time .
ANd another thing ROCCo i played with the gs430 again... he had a 1/4 lead on me till 80.... not bad right... last week he walked on me like crazy. I guess the more miles i get the quicker its going to be. IF anybody wants to play for fun (no homo) let me know i m in BK alot. OCEAN PARKWAY BABY
Old 12-20-2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by flexizganstah
. IF anybody wants to play for fun (no homo) let me know i m in BK alot. OCEAN PARKWAY BABY
i would take you up on that, but since i pull about 15 cars on a gs430 it wouldnt be fair lol.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:08 AM

thats what i like to hear teck. you da man.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:10 AM

C max whats up kid.... i wish i had the 4th gen... i walked on that gs like glue on wall paper..... Lol yeah it wouldnt be fair... unlesssssssss he he i d take out the 03 gt boosted of coarse.... just playin its fast but its my girls dads he he.... c max come down and play i wanna c your car in action maybe we can take it on the belt and c what up with the driving skills.... u told me u raced mecca when he was S/c i wish we would of ran with the turbo. Nice car either way
Old 12-20-2005, 11:11 AM
dot dot dot ...

4gth gens reposnded very well to mods.
y-pipe on A32 > ypipe on A34
Headers on A34 > headers on A32

A32 = 4g
A34 = 6g
Old 12-20-2005, 11:16 AM

hahaha not taking nothing away from flex, but without my secret weapons that gs430 would murder me alive so to keep up stock is very impressive.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:22 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

yea man, i will update when they finish...
Old 12-20-2005, 12:57 PM

C max u gotta come down!!!?!!! lets get crazy
Old 12-20-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by C MAX
i would take you up on that, but since i pull about 15 cars on a gs430 it wouldnt be fair lol.

without a doubt S/c and NOS forget it... MONSTER but what about highway?? drivers race?? he he... i had my 4th gen auto i/y/e my boy had the same gs430... couldnt leave me on the belt... granted str8 away hes gone. But then again i had a boosted 4th gen and after 100 that **** would just be outt.....
Old 12-20-2005, 01:13 PM
GrandPa

100% possitive.
try me.
Can I try you? Without the nitrous.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:16 PM
GrandPa

im guessing when you say internals you mean cams...and i dont know what else.

besides like bore and stroke, but i cant see that being done to a max.
Stillen has cams for the 6th gen.

Warren
Old 12-20-2005, 01:22 PM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=cwepruk]I'm wondering how many people here have dynoed their mods.

This was my last dyno when I was in Florida. If I have time while I am in Fl. next week I will get another one with the nitrous.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=424088
Warren
Old 12-20-2005, 01:58 PM

I really forget what I had said in the past, but whatever I said here is what I believe today:

While max hp/tq isn't increasing as much as we like, some of the more expensive/serious bolt-ons such as Headers would most benefit 'Below the curve'. If you know what i mean. It's everywhere in-between.

I think i said this before, but serious intake and exhaust mods are almost required to get some good peak HP. (maybe some cams, headers, intake manifold).

Even if you have all stock internals (even stock cams) and put on some headers and an intake manifold there would be some serious peak gains. As of this moment you will most surely need a SAFC since there are no real ecu mods on the market today for the Maxi.

If you guys think about it, all you who have intake and exhaust...your ready for the next set of mods. Those that I mentioned above, headers and Intake manifold.

There are a few places that have been doing ported intake manifolds for the 350z for some time now. It really can't be too difficult if you wanted a mild grind.

I recommend that as more and more people are base setting themselves with I/H mods, that you use your strength in numbers to approach some aftermarket shops about the stuff not available yet. (i.e. intake manifold, SMASHING GOOD set of headers, ECU tune without going aftermarket crazy).

Show us that the Max can be had with craaaaaazy hp! :-)

I support you!
Old 12-20-2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
Can I try you? Without the nitrous.

ramgerg lets do it!! lol... i got a question doesnt the 04 have less TQ?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:30 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by ramberg
Stillen has cams for the 6th gen.
Stillen cams = JWT S1

i got a question doesnt the 04 have less TQ?

Quick Reply: The truth about bolt - ons.