6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Seat/Power Adjust Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 11:36 AM

Seat/Power Adjust Recall

Not sure if this has been posted before, but just wanted to let you guys know about this upcoming recall.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...rintVersion=NO

Maxi is currently in the dealer. Got a Cadillac DTS as a rental (had to pay a little out of pocket, but wanted to try the new DTS). Makes a nice rumble but thats about it. Rides and handles like a boat, and quite shoddily built as well. Makes me miss maxi even more. She's currently having her CD player and front strut replaced.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely be taking mine in. I've been thinking that I'm smelling sort of a burning odor when I have the seat heaters and/or heater running. Maybe I have a short as in the recall. Sure don't want a fire in the seat! ouch!

Jane
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

**** man..... have to get that checked out for sure....

good looking out.....
Old 12-01-2005, 01:05 PM
SuPeRmOd

wish they could have caught this before I had my lumbar replaced or my heated seat checked.

Hopefully not all VINs will need it, but probably all should be inspected.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:14 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
wish they could have caught this before I had my lumbar replaced or my heated seat checked.

Hopefully not all VINs will need it, but probably all should be inspected.
thats what i thought until I saw 2004-2006..... doesn't that mean all of them with leather and heated seats?.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:31 PM
SuPeRmOd

you would think all DDP cars are wired the same, atleast as far as the lumbar goes. it does say under, so hopefully it's a quick check. Personally, my seat never moves. It's all the way back, so I have exit assist off.

Maybe related, I mentioned to my dealer (when I wanted the lumbar replaced b/c of movement) that when I play with it and hold the button, my SAT loses signal??????
Old 12-01-2005, 07:41 PM

Just came back from the dealer. Had my strut and CD player changed. Anyway, I had them check to see if my car is involve in the seat recall. He said no, only cars BUILT from 2004 - 2006. I questioned the service manager just to be safe; specifically wanted to know how the wiring differs between my model year (built 2003, model year 2004) and the newer cars. He said he does not know and will keep me updated as he gets more information. I'll definitely check again later in the month when more is knowned. Hope you guys are not affected as well.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:02 AM
wsu

grateful

I'll have to get my Maxima checked out for this wiring issue. Thanks for the information!
Old 12-02-2005, 09:23 AM

I KNEW IT! I had my 04 SE back to the dealer twice with this problem and both times it wouldn't act up for them. My wife would reset the seat to her location and drop off the car at the dealer. Obviously now I realize that when she moved the seat that it unpinched the wires. When the tech would check it...It always worked, making me look like an idiot! So as long as it gets fixed I'll be happy!! Thanks for the info "Turb".......
Old 12-02-2005, 12:40 PM
SuPeRmOd

^^^your seat would catch on fire in your position?

so what were the problems you experienced? unless it was the lumbar not repsonding, not sure it would be the same issuse as the recall

Turbo, I hope they replaced both struts. see the sticky if not.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:24 PM

Dealer only replaced on strut. Did argue with him (my car has 21k miles) but he insisted that Nissan will only replace the one strut.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by missjane
Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely be taking mine in. I've been thinking that I'm smelling sort of a burning odor when I have the seat heaters and/or heater running. Maybe I have a short as in the recall. Sure don't want a fire in the seat! ouch!

Jane
I smell that to, it smells like crap, you think this is the problem?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:47 PM

I wonder if they will fix the loose seat connection that I have too. When I go around a corner and my weight shifts it feels like one of the floor bolts is loose. And no, I'm not a fatazz so that isn't the problem.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:18 PM

I knew something was wrong. my lumbar stopped working about 2 months after i got the car. have not taken it in yet. thanks for the info.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:09 PM

Good looking out!
Old 12-02-2005, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this. The lumbar has never worked on mine so I'll mention it the next time I'm at the dealer, which given history won't be too long. So far the dealer has had to repaint the hood, replace side molding, replace CD player, check all grounds due to check engine lights. I guess that makes it the 5th frigging problem I have had to have fixed since I got this thing at the end of August.

Dan
Old 12-02-2005, 03:40 PM
SuPeRmOd

^^^how did you get the dealer to paint the hood?

BadBlackMaxSL, seat chifting has occured with others as well.

What some mention, I'm in awe you wait so long and onder about if dealer will fix. What is so hard about calling? Cars have a warranty for a reason.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:17 PM

So Nissan Dealers will be contacting owners?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:55 PM

BadBlackMaxSL, seat shifting has occured with others as well.

Kinda O.T.- Nismo, I haven't seen a fix/solution for this, any advice?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:45 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Kinda O.T.- Nismo, I haven't seen a fix/solution for this, any advice?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=320585
guess not.

And we thought Shift_ was just an Ad, it's TRUE
Old 12-03-2005, 02:17 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

They must have seen this coming a while back because when I took my Max in to get the lumbar checked, they rerouted the wires. The tech said that it was not plugged in originally. I think the plug must have gotten pulled out by getting pinched on the seat track.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Banned

I wish this happened a long time ago as well, my lumbar also broke when the car was like 2mo. old, then part of the seat adjustment broke as well....no problems since...but I will take it in for this recall anyway incase it plans to break again as I am not in the bumper to bumper warrenty period anymore. I was hoping it was going to address the issue of the lumbar not staying put. I put it in the full out position, and sometimes when I drive and accellerate, my weight pushes the lumbar in a bit and you can feel it at accelleration, something isnt right with the mechanism too.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:38 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by TurboFatCrab
Just came back from the dealer. Had my strut and CD player changed. Anyway, I had them check to see if my car is involve in the seat recall. He said no, only cars BUILT from 2004 - 2006. I questioned the service manager just to be safe; specifically wanted to know how the wiring differs between my model year (built 2003, model year 2004) and the newer cars. He said he does not know and will keep me updated as he gets more information. I'll definitely check again later in the month when more is knowned. Hope you guys are not affected as well.

Thanks for the information.

Hell with the dealer. Call the 800 number and see if your vin number is involed.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:22 PM

^^^how did you get the dealer to paint the hood?
Simple, I told them they either repaint the hood due to factory defects in the paint or I wouldn't buy it. It's a lot easier to get them to do something BEFORE they have your money. Obviously this approach does not work for paint chipping...

Dan
Old 12-04-2005, 07:13 PM

Boy, it would really burn my azz if my seat caught on fire!

Old 12-04-2005, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Boy, it would really burn my azz if my seat caught on fire!

literally.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:45 AM

I haven't had this problem (maybe...) I find that in my '04, the sterring wheel and seat do not always return to the programmed position. The problem gets progressively worse, I push the button to force the position, then it is OK for a while. Maybe this recall will help fix the problem...
Old 12-10-2005, 11:28 PM

I would be very surprised if the problem is in Maximas BUILT in years '04 thru '06.

The reason I would be surprised is that no Maxima (or anything else on earth) has been BUILT in '06 as of yet.

The dealer who said the problem was with 'build years' '04 thru '06 is NOT correct. He misread the Nissan directive. The possible problem will be with all 102,550 Maximas with Driver Preferred package for MODEL years '04 thru '06, and will include '04 Maximas built as early as January of 2003.

Just wait and see. Or reread the directive.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I would be very surprised if the problem is in Maximas BUILT in years '04 thru '06.

The reason I would be surprised is that no Maxima (or anything else on earth) has been BUILT in '06 as of yet.

The dealer who said the problem was with 'build years' '04 thru '06 is NOT correct. He misread the Nissan directive. The possible problem will be with all 102,550 Maximas with Driver Preferred package for MODEL years '04 thru '06, and will include '04 Maximas built as early as January of 2003.

Just wait and see. Or reread the directive.
It is them not wanted to look at it, my 05 had the problem and I had to do everything but pull the guy in to my car to look at it.

they tend to get to things a little faster when you say you will not leave the service bay till they look at it as it is a saftey issue.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:09 PM
GrandPa

I called my friend who is a service adviser to make a appt. on the 15th to check out this problem. He told me he didn't know anything about the recall. He will call me back today.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:49 PM

I called Nissan earlier this week and they said that this didnt apply for my specific car. I have a 2004 and I assume that it applies for all of them, but she told me that it depends on when your car was manufactured and that it still didnt apply for my vehicle. I am still worried about mine
Old 12-25-2005, 01:45 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by Killah Kane
I called Nissan earlier this week and they said that this didnt apply for my specific car. I have a 2004 and I assume that it applies for all of them, but she told me that it depends on when your car was manufactured and that it still didnt apply for my vehicle. I am still worried about mine
I have a good friend who works at the dealer and he checked my vin number and it doesn't apply to my car either. I wouldn't worry about it.

Warren
Old 12-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got a 2004 SE used this summer so I did not get a recall notice on the seat. I took my seat out today and I saw the wire that could get pinched. It will happend if the bottom seat is lowered all the way down. My wire was being pinched. I just re-routed the wire. If the wire is not damaged the dealer is only going to re-rout the wire. Sorry I do not have a digital camera to take pictures. I'll try to get one from one of my friends.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by sallymax
I got a 2004 SE used this summer so I did not get a recall notice on the seat. I took my seat out today and I saw the wire that could get pinched. It will happend if the bottom seat is lowered all the way down. My wire was being pinched. I just re-routed the wire. If the wire is not damaged the dealer is only going to re-rout the wire. Sorry I do not have a digital camera to take pictures. I'll try to get one from one of my friends.
Is there a way for me to look at my seat and see if the wire needs to be re-routed? Do I need to remove the whole seat or can I just see under it?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Banned

Well i ride with the seat all the way down, that explains why it broke 2 times then.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:27 AM

Ok, well i took my car to the stealership the other day for the oil change and i told him to check out on the lumbar support recall, and the guy had no clue. He said he would check on any recalls, called me back and said there was nothing but i said there is one for my specific car, 2005 Dpp but he said there isnt nothing. I told him to check the area out anyways, he said he would but i doubt he did. Any ideas?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Killah Kane
Is there a way for me to look at my seat and see if the wire needs to be re-routed? Do I need to remove the whole seat or can I just see under it?
You will have to unbolt the seat. It is 4 -14mm bolts. Lower the seat bottom all the way down before you unbolt the seat. Once done, lean the seat back to look underneith. There is a crossbar. With the seat bottom lowered all the way down there was a wire being crushed between the bottom of the seat and the crossbar. This was the wire that I re-routed. If your seat has this problem then you have to disconnect the two wires, yellow and black at the seat brace on the floor plan to take the seat out of the car the re-route the wire.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by belal242
Ok, well i took my car to the stealership the other day for the oil change and i told him to check out on the lumbar support recall, and the guy had no clue. He said he would check on any recalls, called me back and said there was nothing but i said there is one for my specific car, 2005 Dpp but he said there isnt nothing. I told him to check the area out anyways, he said he would but i doubt he did. Any ideas?
Uhm, Lumbar support recall? Can you elaborate on this?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 07:03 AM
2004 Smoke

I got mine done yesterday.

Dealer work order states "Replaced wiring harness and power lumbar switch assembly as per recall NTSB05-136. Op Code PB0111".

Hopefully this will solve the problem I had last week whereby the whole electric seat (all functions) just would not work one day (came back the next day).
Old 12-29-2005, 10:26 AM
SuPeRmOd

^^^ reminds me of earlier threads didn't some have seat control problems a good while back?

Quick Reply: Seat/Power Adjust Recall