6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Issue after lowering....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:33 AM

Issue after lowering....HELP!

After I had my Eibachs installed, my car pulled to the left pretty good. To the point where while driving I have to force the wheel slightly right to keep it straight. I figured it needed to be aligned, since the struts and stuff were tampered with. I took it to Goodyear and they told me the front can not be adjusted. It's set from the factory. Of couse they found something to do, so they could charge me. Well, after that, it still pulls. I took it to Nissan today and they told me the left rear is off, which is causing it. Could the springs have been put on wrong? I watched it being done and both sides looked right. I'm very open for suggestions..I can't let this destroy my tires..
Old 11-30-2005, 11:03 AM

Bumpy...I need help.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:16 AM

I'm not sure what the heck Goodyear is talking about. That's the dumbest answer I've ever heard. I guess since the front end can't be adjusted then we never have to have alignment's done. TOTAL CRAP. You need a front end alignment. Your assumption about lowering the car is correct. I had mine aligned after putting on the Eibachs and you can too.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maybe they are talking about camber. I thought that by droping the ride height you affect the camber. Sometimes past what the OEM adjustments are capable of. Thats why the sell aftermarket camber adjustment kits for a number of vehicles. Of course Goodyear could be (and likely is) way off base too.

I'd take it to a reputable shop that is used to working on lowered vehicles. Or one that is operated by the owner, who gives a rats azz about the quality of work that is done.

CM
Old 11-30-2005, 01:10 PM

If I recall right, the camber/caster can't be adjusted from what Nissan set it to from the factory (front). That was verified by Nissan service. However, it can be adjusted in the rear. Goodyear said they "fixed" the rear, yet Nissan is telling me the rear is the problem, go figure..I might as well tossed $70 on the ground. Goodyear gave me this printout of the results to give Nissan and tell them my control arm was bent. He went on to say the only way to bend this would be to hit a huge hole or a curb. I told him I have never hit anything, I have NO curb rash on my rims. I told Nissan that and they said the printout given is way the hell off. Goodyear bastards!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 01:15 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

things like this make me wanna stop modding cars cause is such a pain in the ****.... one more car for me, the next will be stock. rims and t'vs the most..
Old 11-30-2005, 03:09 PM
.org extraordinaire

Fak

My car same thing, I have progress installed. THey work great but..... i had two allignments done and both places keep telling me the car is straight, yet when i straighten the steering wheel the car dives to the left.

WTF two alignments and both suck WAG.

So I straighten my steering wheel i mind as well smash into the oncoming traffic. Now mind you the car doesnt pull, but the steering wheel is crooked when I'm driving.

Thanks,

Kam
Old 11-30-2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
My car same thing, I have progress installed. THey work great but..... i had two allignments done and both places keep telling me the car is straight, yet when i straighten the steering wheel the car dives to the left.

WTF two alignments and both suck WAG.

So I straighten my steering wheel i mind as well smash into the oncoming traffic. Now mind you the car doesnt pull, but the steering wheel is crooked when I'm driving.

Thanks,

Kam
Interesting...let me know what you do to fix your problem. I'm taking my car back to the person who lowered it and having the rear springs taken out and installed again, just to make sure it's done right. Honestly, I find it hard for the rear to be the issue because when slowing down I get to about 5mph, the wheel starts to turn left. If the wheel is straight when I stop, if I take off slow, the wheel turns left. WTF!!! No issues until I had the damn springs installed.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:19 PM

Kam, read this service bulletin for the proper centering of the steering wheel.http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB04-054.htm
Old 12-01-2005, 01:16 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by 02MaxGLE
Interesting...let me know what you do to fix your problem. I'm taking my car back to the person who lowered it and having the rear springs taken out and installed again, just to make sure it's done right. Honestly, I find it hard for the rear to be the issue because when slowing down I get to about 5mph, the wheel starts to turn left. If the wheel is straight when I stop, if I take off slow, the wheel turns left. WTF!!! No issues until I had the damn springs installed.
The springs were not installed right. I have the same springs and have had no issues with them.
Let me know what happens when you go back to the installer.

Warren
Old 12-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I Just had eibachs put on and have had no issues thus far, but i did get it aligned and boy am i glad i did, it was way out.....it drives straight and rides smoother.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

when u guys had the springs replaced did u have to get a camber kit to have the proper camber alignment so the inside of the tires don't wear
Old 12-05-2005, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by ivanko
when u guys had the springs replaced did u have to get a camber kit to have the proper camber alignment so the inside of the tires don't wear
I just added the springs. I am not sure why I am the only one with issues after installed. I had the rears totally removed and it still pulls left. Nissan gave me the results and the front is perfect. The rear camber is off and causing the car to pull, according to them. I am at a loss as to what to do to fix this issue. I need to get it resolved before I boot up my 20s.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:47 AM

As much as I wanted to lower mine. I decided to leave it alone, run the 20's spring thru fall and enjoy the car for what it is, Good looking 4dr transportation!
Man, I sound more like my dad every day!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:55 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by ivanko
Nope, I just lowered it and had an alignment done. No camber kit necessary. I took my chrome wheels off for the winter yesterday. I checked every tire for uneven wear and found nothing.