6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

InTaKeS Pt. II

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 11:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

Maybe they don't ...
Old 01-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When it comes to intake upgrades, the ECU will try to adjust but you will still get an extra 5-10hp (depending on your setup) in the mid-high range powerband. The point about CAI's being vulnerable to hydrolock is very valid. An acquaintence of mine who has a '01 Eclipse RS with an AEM Cold air Intake sitting in his front bumper, (to the side of the radiator, there is a hole in his body kit for it) has locked up at least twice this Winter. It is a serious danger, as most CAI setups DO NOT come with a bypass valve. I personally recommend the Jim Wolfe Technology Pop-charger w/ velocity stack coupled with your own version of "ghetto ram air" (trick of the trade; research and figure it out for yourself). As for what Luigi'sMax said concerning engine bay temperatures, there are MANY ways for us to reduce our under-hood temperatures. Most of our heat comes from the radiator and exhaust manifold. So headers w/ headerwrap + 1000F heat resistant paint and maybe some reverse hood scoops on the top part of the hood (hot air travels up, and due to velocity, back from the bumper) will reduce your overall engine bay temp by up to 100 degrees (dont quote me, but use your own scientific estimate).
Old 05-24-2006, 01:57 PM

this seems to be the most recent intake thread from the links in the modification thread

does anyone plan on replacing their CAI filter with one of the ones in the AMSOIL group deal - http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=471320 - wanted to get some feedback from some pioneers before i went through with it on my injen CAI
Old 05-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone tried modifying the stock intake system. To me is it is already set up as a cold air intake, drawing the cool air from the front of the car. The aftermarket intakes either draw warm air from the engine bay or the cooler air from the fender well below the head light. Well the stock intake goes down into the fender well below the head light. Has anyone open up this section of the intake system. This way you would be drawing cool air from the front of the car and from the fender well. More over you already have a built in by pass if you happen (I don't know why) drive through deep water. Granted the intake will not be flashy and might not be as loud as some people like but it would not cost you any thing but your time. I have been thinking of doing this.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:34 PM

hey guys im getting a INJEN CAI
im also going to install a k&N cone filter for max performance on the filter
also gettin the aem bypass valve for the injen cai
that bypass will prevent hydrolock.
water will never enter my engine with that aem bypass valve!
after i install ill dyno then redyno a month later and post up the stats
Old 05-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have had my AEM CAI for close to one year now and I never had any problems. And I drove my car, although not a lot, this past winter and let me tell you Montreal winters are bad...not good bad...bad bad...eh!

My friends and I love the sound especially in tunnels when I floor it! It scares the heck out of people and it's funny to see the expressions on their faces!
As for HP and TQ even with the stock ECU you still get more although it's real easy to reset the ECU...takes about 1 min. and there is no harm to anything. I'm not suggesting reseting every time you get in your car. Just on occasion when you feel like some spirited driving...you know...winding twisty roads on the week-end kind of thing! LOL

Point is get what ever CAI turns your crank....and unless you drive through flooded areas don't bother with this bypass thing. Oh and another advantage I swear I think I'm getting better gas mileage.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxmale
There's a 6g member that has one installed but there's one item you 6th gens have to look into ... CAN/BUS w/re: to the ECU I don't know exactly, because as I stated before... I know as much as anyone can with a search function, and didn't feel like looking it up just yet, but it's most likely in one of the 6th gen members posts about the SAFC.

that was me. i got it installed about a month ago. i showed upwards of about 10-12 whp improvement and it isn't tuned to full potential yet.

do you need to keep tha apexi safc II in your car at all times after you tune it ? thats new to me
Old 08-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by bmorekaotic19
do you need to keep tha apexi safc II in your car at all times after you tune it ? thats new to me
Yes, it has a wire harness that is spliced with the harness that goes to your cars ECU... I keep mine hidden in my lower center console compartment...