6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Grounding Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 11:07 AM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
30 minutes just wont cut it, unless you have some kind of magical powers and you know how to make bolts unscrew them selves like that Harry Potter character. Look more toward the better end of an hour, hour and a half if your taking pictures.

In the end does it make a difference?

ABSOLUTELY not!..................

maybe over time, but the stock ground from Nissan designs should be solid enough. Unless you like tinkering around, this is a perfect weekend project.

Here are my pics from the creation.

Enjoy,

Kam
I have to respectfully disagree with two of your points here. I used the kit from Active Tuning and it did only take me about a half-hour (25-35 minutes) to install. There are only about seven or eight bolts that have to be removed and reinstalled.

I did notice the differences I posted about earlier. Chern has also noticed differences. I can't be 100% sure from your pictures so I'll have to ask. Are all of your grounds going to bare metal?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:36 AM
.org extraordinaire

will do

yes i dremmeled all my contact points except the tranny, head and intake. I also checked the cables with a continuity meter before the install.

I will resize the pics for you guys as soon as i get home from work.

As to the effects of the kit, its like a medical placebo pill: if i tell you that you will loose weight when you take this magic pill, you will most likely feel like you are loosing weight because your mind makes you believe that you are.

Its all psychological.

Unless someone can measure the resistance of a non grounded car and let me know the details i can mesure mine and compare.

Peace,

Kam
Old 07-17-2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
god damn it.... can you resize the damn pics!!!
Yeah for real, my computer got all messed up for about 5 minutes.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by boone
I have to respectfully disagree with two of your points here. I used the kit from Active Tuning and it did only take me about a half-hour (25-35 minutes) to install. There are only about seven or eight bolts that have to be removed and reinstalled.

I did notice the differences I posted about earlier. Chern has also noticed differences. I can't be 100% sure from your pictures so I'll have to ask. Are all of your grounds going to bare metal?
I still can't vouch for hp gain, could be because the weather is much warmer now, but all other electronic related items have improved.

I also have to agree with the grounding issue.

And please reduce the pic size, I can feel for some of you with slightly aged cpu's and limited bandwith. I'm on my own T1 and still took sometime to load this thread, wow!
Old 07-17-2005, 01:02 PM

yes i dremmeled all my contact points except the tranny, head and intake. I also checked the cables with a continuity meter before the install.

I will resize the pics for you guys as soon as i get home from work.

As to the effects of the kit, its like a medical placebo pill: if i tell you that you will loose weight when you take this magic pill, you will most likely feel like you are loosing weight because your mind makes you believe that you are.

Its all psychological.

Unless someone can measure the resistance of a non grounded car and let me know the details i can mesure mine and compare.

Peace,

Kam
If you're not noticing anything different then I will have to chalk this one up to differences in cars. I know there is an improvement in my vehicle after installing the kit. There is nothing psychological about it. My windows rolling up faster is just one example. Before the grounding kit, my rear windows rolled up a good amount slower than my fronts, now they roll up almost as fast. I never timed it with a stopwatch but this is something that is easily observable.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:30 PM
.org extraordinaire

Sorry bout the pics, all fixed

As to the kit,

It was raining before I installed it, and rained after I installed it, I even recorded the time on my dvd cam of the windows rolling up and engine starting up on both account, pre mod and post mod.

Maybe it is a car difference, but to me thus far it has not made much of a difference. I called my uncle today, hes a Mercedes Mechanic here in Toronto regarding the grounding kit theory.

Me: "Hey Wujo (uncle in polish), hows things? I have a quick question. Does a custom made grounding kit improve engine starting, and makes the engine run smoother?"

Uncle Marian: "Yes on older cars where the ground has rusted out, it does, we install grounding wires on some of the older cars, especially the disel mercs."

Me: "Cause I made one for my car, and I dont see any differences."

Uncle: "Why would you do that?"

Me: "Read it on-line, that it improves hp, starting, windows rolld down quicker and so on."

Uncle: "I just read on-line that Michael Jackson was black again."

Me: "Ohh, ok, just wanted to know."

Uncle: "Its a good thing to have if your origional ground ever rusts out, then yes you have a good backup, other then that somone is trying to pull a fast one over you. I hope you didnt spend any money on it?"

Me: "No did it my self last night with some wires and o rings."

Uncle: "Well if you get your car rust checked you should have nothing to worry about in the first place."

Me: "Dzieki (thanks in polish)"......... and then the conversation turned towards women.

Anyways, for me it seems like its a good preventative maintenance, nothing more nothing less. Maybe for others it might make a good deal of difference, but that can also be vehicle specific.

I still enjoyed working on my car all by my self and figuring out how everything is stuffed in that engine bay in the first place. So i guess there was a benefit of all this, learned something, saved about $24US dollars, sweated out about 10lbs of water.

Its all in good fun in the end I guess.

Thanks,

Kam
Old 07-17-2005, 03:21 PM

kamilkluczewski,

First off, I appreciate the educated criticism. It's always nice when you get the intelligent responses so you can have an intelligent conversation.

Normally a grounding kit will make more of a difference in older cars where the factory ground has deteriorated over time....but it is still proven from an electrial engineering standpoint that there are benefits...even on newer cars. It also varies from car to car as well. Some people notice no benefits (although there are still some that are unnoticed) and some people do notice some. In fact a recent customer of ours with our Titan Grounding Kit tested resistance and noticed huge improvements.

I can tell you that we were in a similar position with the idea of a grounding kit...we categorized it the same way as the "Tornado"....until we made one for our 96 Maxima and noticed some definite improvements in many aspects.

Many people with the newer cars that install the kit mostly notice smoother shifting, better idle, faster start, brigher lights, faster rollup/down on windows. Also keep in mind that people with high-wattage systems installed notice a lot of those benefits especially because they are requiring more ground essentially.

I highly recommend reading through this post as it explains the scientifics behind it..it's very technical so not a read for everybody:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187844

Aside from that, we have kits for many different Nissans, including the 350Z, Altima 3.5, G35 Coupe/Sedan, FX35, and the Maxima...all of which share the VQ35DE motor.

I would say the most important result factor is that of actual customers...and we have had many rave reviews from people with the VQ.

Here's some of the reviews that were posted on our site (there are many other good reviews posted on other forums)...these are unedited, and were posted by the customer by choice:

2002-2005 Nissan Altima 2.5
ActiveTuning has THE best customer service. Their products are top notch, and this product is a perfect example. Thanks for the boost in performance, and it was an absolute pleasure working with you guys. I can't wait until my other priduct arrives. I will definately shop here again!
I wasn't expecting these wires to do to much, but I noticed alot from it. Ride is smoother, my lights are brighter, my system is clear and the bass hits better. Lights don't dim either when the bass hits. I would buy these wires for my g35 if AT made it.
GREAT!!! A must buy for all ALtima 2.5 owners. Such a dramatic change in acceleration, idle and overall performance from the engine.
Great kit, sooo easy it install took less than 20 minutes, plus a similar kit is sold by stillen for $129!!, great deal!
I have to admit that I was very skeptical that the grounding kit was going to do anything at all to enhance the performance of my 2.5S Altima - especially since it's an '05 with barely 5K miles on it and has an automatic transmission. Typically you'd only see results from a grounding kit on an old car where the electrical system was already in bad shape. Installation was a breeze, although I would recommend removing some of the allen head bolts on the plastic engine cover to have better access to the bolt on the alternator bracket. I have a 45 minute commute to work, so this morning was my opportunity to "test" these out. Start-up was normal - again I didn't expect to see changes on such a new car. But once I got out of traffic on the freeway, I opened it up and immediately noticed what can only be described as "crisp" or "silky" acceleration as the car definitely pulled harder. WOW! Comparing how it performed before the ground wires, I would have to stomp on it to get going, but after the wire mod, it was incredibly more responsive to even partial throttle! I am actually surprised how it quickly it accelerates now. Very good mod - I would highly recommend!
HEHEHE I was the first to get it I love it makes my car idle so smooth now :P Thanks again Mike!!!
Nissan Altima 3.5

Great product!!!! MY 05 SE only had 1500 miles on it, but you could still tell and feel the difference. It started, idled and runs like a champ. When you step on the gas that little hesitation is gone and you go. Easy to install, would recomend to all.
Got the silver kit, super fast shipping, great customer service, and helped a lot! I got better gas mileage which was the best for me seeing as how high the gas prices are! Thanks AT, u the best!
Great mod, my ride is a lot smoother and all the ligths are more brighter!!!
This was a pretty straight forward low cost mod. The install directions were excellent!! The bolt on the transmission was a real pain(big time)to get at, but everything else was real simple. I tested my power sunroof with a stop watch prior to and after the mod. I was very surprised to see how much faster in opened after the mod, stop watch verified this. Dont know about any HP gains but would recomend it.
This is one of the best low cost mods that you could do. I noticed everything was brighter. Car idled much quieter. My stereo quit dimming from the bass.
Well, I have almost 53,000 miles on my car and it seems if the electrical system had lost some efficiency before I put this thing on; my sunroof for example, had started closing slower and my headlights didn't seem as bright as they were when I got the car. Anyways, after I put the AT grounding kit on, I noticed my car sounded and felt much smoother when I started it up. Well, I was driving around last night enjoying the cool air, and I opened my sunroof and it was back to normal...that one thing alone was worth th $40. Also the lights seemed brighter, car shifted smoother, and the radio even seemed to sound a little better. Anyways, this is a great product, that was extremely easy to install. Thanks guys.
One more thing to note, it cannot hurt the car....it can only benefit it in one way or another. You spend $30,000 on your Maxima, $40-$50 for potential overall benefits is not a bad deal...whether you make one yourself, buy one from another company, or buy ours.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

As to the kit,

It was raining before I installed it, and rained after I installed it, I even recorded the time on my dvd cam of the windows rolling up and engine starting up on both account, pre mod and post mod.

Maybe it is a car difference, but to me thus far it has not made much of a difference. I called my uncle today, hes a Mercedes Mechanic here in Toronto regarding the grounding kit theory.

Me: "Hey Wujo (uncle in polish), hows things? I have a quick question. Does a custom made grounding kit improve engine starting, and makes the engine run smoother?"

Uncle Marian: "Yes on older cars where the ground has rusted out, it does, we install grounding wires on some of the older cars, especially the disel mercs."

Me: "Cause I made one for my car, and I dont see any differences."

Uncle: "Why would you do that?"

Me: "Read it on-line, that it improves hp, starting, windows rolld down quicker and so on."

Uncle: "I just read on-line that Michael Jackson was black again."

Me: "Ohh, ok, just wanted to know."

Uncle: "Its a good thing to have if your origional ground ever rusts out, then yes you have a good backup, other then that somone is trying to pull a fast one over you. I hope you didnt spend any money on it?"

Me: "No did it my self last night with some wires and o rings."

Uncle: "Well if you get your car rust checked you should have nothing to worry about in the first place."

Me: "Dzieki (thanks in polish)"......... and then the conversation turned towards women.

Anyways, for me it seems like its a good preventative maintenance, nothing more nothing less. Maybe for others it might make a good deal of difference, but that can also be vehicle specific.

I still enjoyed working on my car all by my self and figuring out how everything is stuffed in that engine bay in the first place. So i guess there was a benefit of all this, learned something, saved about $24US dollars, sweated out about 10lbs of water.

Its all in good fun in the end I guess.

Thanks,

Kam
I respect what your uncle does, however I disagree, if quality engine grounding is no better for my vehicle than the standard ones generic ones that came with the vehicle, I will rip out all my high end speaker wire out of my stereo and replace it with a roll of 3 dollar generic brand (same concept).

Manufactures in cost saving efforts will use material to just get by, Improved wiring (better gage, shielded, gold tips) help power flow better from positive to negative and reduce line noise and power lose as a result. Remember, electricity is lazy and will ALWAYS try to find the path of least resistance, when you improve or properly ground something, it is an engineering fact that electronics will work and perform better, not to mention be less suseptable to outside interferance or friction from other moving parts. Replacing a rusty ground wire now and then does not make someones word "Golden".
Old 07-17-2005, 03:54 PM

Wow this polish guy is hilarious... I don't car if you rip each other's intestines over grounding kits, but this is a very funny thread. Keep it going kamilwhatever!!
Old 07-17-2005, 04:06 PM

I'm sorry I just had to say that. Anyway I'd like to know what would be the shipping price for Puerto Rico. My zip code is 00680...
Old 07-17-2005, 04:37 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by Wakkus_Maximus
Wow this polish guy is hilarious... I don't car if you rip each other's intestines over grounding kits, but this is a very funny thread. Keep it going kamilwhatever!!
No racist sh*t here. Some member said something about a hispanic guy and was banned.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:40 PM

I'm not being racist man... just having fun. I know he won't be offended. And if he was, not intended... sorry
Old 07-17-2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I respect what your uncle does, however I disagree, if quality engine grounding is no better for my vehicle than the standard ones generic ones that came with the vehicle, I will rip out all my high end speaker wire out of my stereo and replace it with a roll of 3 dollar generic brand (same concept).

Vehicle manufactures in cost saving efforts will use material to just get by, Improved wiring (better gage, shielded, gold tips) help power flow better from positive to negative and reduce line noise and power lose as a result. Remember, electricity is lazy and will ALWAYS try to find the path of least resistance, when you improve or properly ground something, it is an engineering fact that electronics will work and perform better, not to mention be less suseptable to outside interferance or friction from other moving parts. Replacing a rusty ground wire now and then does not make someones word "Golden".
These are also very good points, thanks for posting that.

Manufacturers do try and cut costs as much as they can. Many people will ask "Don't you think Nissan would put an efficient grounding system in the first place?" The answer is yes, they will put in what works, but they will not go above and beyond. Think about this, if it costs Nissan just 25 cents more per vehicle to install thicker grounding wire for example...Well Nissan sold 855,002 Nissan vehicles and 130,986 Infiniti vehicles. This means it would cost them an extra $246,497...so from their perspective, if they can do something that "works" and save a quarter million dollars...they will. They are not going to do the absolute most efficient thing they can do in all aspects of the car...same reason they use plastic in some parts, where a car that is more expensive may use a better material.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wakkus_Maximus
I'm sorry I just had to say that. Anyway I'd like to know what would be the shipping price for Puerto Rico. My zip code is 00680...
We can do shipping to PR for $5 extra. If you'd like to order, PM or e-mail me for instructions.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:34 PM
.org extraordinaire

One more thing to note, it cannot hurt the car....it can only benefit it in one way or another. You spend $30,000 on your Maxima, $40-$50 for potential overall benefits is not a bad deal...whether you make one yourself, buy one from another company, or buy ours.
O for sure man, I cant agree more with you. Like my uncle said its good preventative maintenance, especially up here in Canada where I get 4 months of total F>>KING heat and 8 Months of Arctic Conditions. The amount of salt on our roads is beyond ridiculous, almost as much as Americans put on their fries. Salt make rust = bad.
JOKES JOKES JOKES! (no harm done )

Anywhoo, I dont have an automatic, but if I did and the grounding kit was a way to make it more responsive, I would be making one for sure. But since my car is a manual I have to relly on fast clutch work and shift response with a little bit of (pjerogi) power. {How to spell "PEROGI" in polish}.

"....until we made one for our 96 Maxima and noticed some definite improvements in many aspects.
For sure I would too if my car was 9 years old and the grounds started to go on it, rust, loose bolts, etc, can all ruin a good grouding point. But I see your point on the other vehicles. Hey if it works it works, I wont argue the point.

As it stands:

1) Made the wires my self (PROPS)
2) Only cost me less then $17US!!! for some nice cables and terminals. (PROPS)
3) Had fun working on my new car. (PROPS)
4) Enjoyed reading your activetuninig.com ground install guide. (PROPS)
5) I future proofed my car just a small tad. (PROPS)
6) $17 or $40 is still a very small amount to pay for preventative maintenance.
7) I now have two mods done to my car, K&N filter and a ground kit.
8) More pictures for members who want to make their own or just want more refrence points.

I'm not convinced it does much of anything, but thats my own experience and everyones mileage will vary.

Have fun grounding,

Kam
Old 07-18-2005, 07:39 PM

As promised here is a pic of the actual wires we use:

Old 07-19-2005, 05:46 AM

I have done my Grounding Kit. Total Cost about $30 CAD (sorry Active Tuning but the echange, shipping costs and brokerage fees would probably almost double the cost). I went with the Silver wire (4G X15 Competition) and Gold Plated connectors. I purchased everything at the local Automotive Stereo shop and soldered them up using a gas torch. Total time it took was about 2 hrs start to finish.
When I installed the kit I cut one lead longer and thread it under the stock air intake instead of across the top.
I noticed that the dash lights were a bit lighter after installing it but am going on a trip that will use a full tank of gas that I have been doing every week for the last month and we will see if there is much difference in mileage.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:35 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=bytemonger]

Pictures please.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:41 AM
.org extraordinaire

Under the air box?

I was thinking about that, maybe I will redoo that one wire. But yeah the price for a few pieces of wire should not be anything over $20US. I mean it only takes a few minutes to make the cables.

My total cost with the wires and o-rings was $20CA paid cash.

I guess cash speaks eh.

Peace!

Kam
Old 07-20-2005, 07:51 PM

You asked for Pics.

Here is the lead under the air box

I had problems finding the tranmission mount point (must be because the photos are of manual transmissions not auto). So I found a point. This Lead is red as they ran out of black covers and connected to a bracket that holds three stock connectors.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by bytemonger
You asked for Pics.

Here is the lead under the air box

I had problems finding the tranmission mount point (must be because the photos are of manual transmissions not auto). So I found a point. This Lead is red as they ran out of black covers and connected to a bracket that holds three stock connectors.

Good Job Air Force...
Old 07-20-2005, 08:06 PM

Now I also have some Real World tests. These are from my own experience after installing the grounding kit this weekend.

I have noticed that the lights are a bit brighter.
I have noticed that the fan speed now spends most of its time on 2 bars not 3.
The audio volumes are a little higher. I have had to decrease my listening volume by two to three points.

Now the one on gas mileage.

I do a run between Edmonton (home) and Calgary every month. In the last month I have made this trip every week. The round trip is 600kms (372.8227153 miles) within a km or 2. I don't want anyone coming back saysing that I was off a decimal or two. The highway is divided and I always set my cruise at 122kph (75.8072855 mph). This allows for a fairly constant speed the whole way and not have to worry about the cops.
When I return I always have between 150 and 160 kms (93.2056788 and 99.4193908 mile) left on my DTE reading. This time I have returned with 210 kms (130.4879504 miles) left on my DTE. I have done this trip many times and never have seen this much left.
Even if I take into account some extra kms for speed changes etc. I think that I definately got a little better mileage after the grounding kit.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:15 PM

Wow, that is a nice gain in gas mileage.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by bytemonger

I had the same issue so I improvised, but on the firewall side of the trans.

My average has gone up about 1MPG (21.5 to 22.4-5)
Old 07-21-2005, 09:02 AM
.org extraordinaire

Hmmm......

I'll have to look at my mileage to see if there is a significant boost. One thing I didnt notice earlier was that the Xeons warm up a lot quicker. Maybe its just me or do the rest of you guys have the same thing. I dont know if they are brighter but they do warm up a fair bit quicker.

I guess thats one advantage I found.

Oh well how can one argue with $17US spent and a good time

Beer costs more then this and the effect doesnt last as long

Kam
Old 07-21-2005, 01:45 PM

Im obviously new to this stuff so what is a grounding kit?
what does it do?
how much is it generally?
does it have to do with "lowering" your car at all?
are there any performance benefits to lowering your car?

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Unsure of what length to get

What are the length of the cables? I believe there are 4 total but I am unsure of the lengths to get. Thanks in Advance.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:57 PM

sounds like a formidable mod. at $2.51/gal for supreme gas, 1mpg saved adds up over time.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:05 PM

I bought 8 feet of cable and cut them to length as needed. I ended up with about 6" left over. The lengths were a couple of 25" a 27" and a 14".
Old 07-21-2005, 04:44 PM

Just placed the order for the grounding kit....
Old 07-21-2005, 09:54 PM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=mfalcone14]Im obviously new to this stuff so what is a grounding kit?
what does it do?
Read the tread from the beginning

Does it have to do with "lowering" your car at all?

No it has nothing to do with lowering your car.

Looks and handling
Old 07-22-2005, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by mfalcone14
Im obviously new to this stuff so what is a grounding kit?
what does it do?
does it have to do with "lowering" your car at all?

any help would be greatly appreciated
Not trying to be lazy about answering your question, I recommend you start with the very first post of this thread and read. With all the pictures and discussions, you pretty much will be able to answer your own questions. Overall, it is a performance UPGRADE to the current grounding system installed in a MAX. If you still have more questions, post away, I am sure the Org will et you an answer, good luck and welcome to the Org...
Old 07-22-2005, 07:12 AM

active tuning has done a great job in posting pictures and information on their website. they could have easily sent you instructions after you purchased their kit. but instead, they have the information available for everyone to see.

if you have the capabilities to cut wires and attach the gold plated end points, then by all means, do the kit yourself. I bought the kit for 40 bucks shipped and had it 2 days later. so you saved 15-25 more than me. I think of that money for an entree at a restaurant in NYC. Plus the time saved from making it myself. so I'm happy about that.

Thats my rant.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:39 AM
.org extraordinaire

For Sure

Originally Posted by PaL379
active tuning has done a great job in posting pictures and information on their website. they could have easily sent you instructions after you purchased their kit. but instead, they have the information available for everyone to see.

if you have the capabilities to cut wires and attach the gold plated end points, then by all means, do the kit yourself. I bought the kit for 40 bucks shipped and had it 2 days later. so you saved 15-25 more than me. I think of that money for an entree at a restaurant in NYC. Plus the time saved from making it myself. so I'm happy about that.

Thats my rant.
Couldnt Agree with you more, but to get stuff shipped to Canada we have to pay extra, exchange rate means we have to pay extra, UPS customs duties means we have to pay extra. Plus welded ends!! Im sure the kits out there dont have welded ends. Anywhoo, here is the price breakdown for a $40US item with regular shipping form lets say Washington DC.

$40 (kit price) http://www.activetuning.com
$14 (shipping) http://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_US (20880 zip)
$8 (ups duty fees) http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/res...l_billing.html

$62.00 US Dollar = $75.44 Canadian Dollar

SO..... as you can see a $40 kit turns into a $75 kit in Canadian funds, and to make it in half an hour for $20 Canadian dollards is quite a savings wouldnt you agree?!

MY RANT.

Thanks,

Kam
Old 07-22-2005, 09:59 AM

yeah I totally agree, with the customs shipping & exchange rate and all that stuff. I didnt single you out Kam, I'd probably do the same thing. And the reason we can make it ourself is because active tuning gives you all the info needed.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:29 AM

Couldnt Agree with you more, but to get stuff shipped to Canada we have to pay extra, exchange rate means we have to pay extra, UPS customs duties means we have to pay extra. Plus welded ends!! Im sure the kits out there dont have welded ends. Anywhoo, here is the price breakdown for a $40US item with regular shipping form lets say Washington DC.

$40 (kit price) http://www.activetuning.com
$14 (shipping) http://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_US (20880 zip)
$8 (ups duty fees) http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/res...l_billing.html

$62.00 US Dollar = $75.44 Canadian Dollar

SO..... as you can see a $40 kit turns into a $75 kit in Canadian funds, and to make it in half an hour for $20 Canadian dollards is quite a savings wouldnt you agree?!

MY RANT.

Thanks,

Kam
We actually charge $6 for Canada orders We use USPS...not sure if/what the customs charges are though...any ideas?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:00 AM

To Canada, as long as you ship the item as a gift and under 40 USD value, it will be duty free.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:29 AM
.org extraordinaire

Cool

No worries Pal, we get taxed on everything here man.

USPS doesnt charge duties at the boarded like UPS but when I have to claim the item at the post office I have to pay the duty there, which is general sales (8%) and provincial (7%) tax of 15% of the items value.

$6 inst too bad for shipping, its actually a very good price

As to the item being claimed as a "gift" well I'm sure the business that ships that way will be having its doors kicked down by INS or IRS or whatever the hell agency you guys have that can find fraud and tax evasion but not terrorist .

LOL, jokes.

Caliming sold items as gifts to avoid international taxes and tarrifs is a sure way to have your business shut down, wouldnt you agree?

Well no worries, activetunin still has a way way way better price then stillen.

I mean $40 vs like $129.

If i was buying it would the active kit in the first place, If i was making it, local shop is the way to do it. Or you can ask your local shop to make it for you for a small fee. Still under $30CA.

Thanks,

Kam
Old 07-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Newbie just Registered

No worries Pal, we get taxed on everything here man.

USPS doesnt charge duties at the boarded like UPS but when I have to claim the item at the post office I have to pay the duty there, which is general sales (8%) and provincial (7%) tax of 15% of the items value.

$6 inst too bad for shipping, its actually a very good price

As to the item being claimed as a "gift" well I'm sure the business that ships that way will be having its doors kicked down by INS or IRS or whatever the hell agency you guys have that can find fraud and tax evasion but not terrorist .

LOL, jokes.

Caliming sold items as gifts to avoid international taxes and tarrifs is a sure way to have your business shut down, wouldnt you agree?

Well no worries, activetunin still has a way way way better price then stillen.

I mean $40 vs like $129.

If i was buying it would the active kit in the first place, If i was making it, local shop is the way to do it. Or you can ask your local shop to make it for you for a small fee. Still under $30CA.

Thanks,

Kam

This is going to way off-topic, but what happened to NAFTA?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:45 AM
.org extraordinaire

No idea about NAFTA

Dont know how it works, but I know I have to pay taxes on items from the states. I buy stuff from frozencpu.com all the time and anything I get I pay tax on top of the exchange and shipping, especially UPS. (GRRRR)

Word to the wize, if your selling something to somone up here in canada and you have to ship it, avoid UPS. I can scan my last bill from them, for a $90US value item. I ended up paying $48CA on top of the item price in taxes, duties and handling fees. WTF!! HANDLING FEES!!! Hesus Kristus!!!!!

Yeah avoid UPS, USPS shipping I only pay taxes.

Anywhoo, the grounding kit is a good idea, for me I havent seen to many improvements other then the lights warming up quicker. Whether you buy or make it, its still a fun weekend evening project.

Peace org brothers and sisters.

Kam

Quick Reply: Grounding Kit