6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

First Accident in Max - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:31 AM

First Accident in Max - HELP!

here in N.Y. it's 4:40 am, and I just finished drowning my sorrows on a six pack of coronas, but anyways

about 3 hours ago i was stopped at a light, all of a sudden a humongous tractor trailer pulls up in the lane to the left of me we're both at the light and i am planning to make a right. Next thing I know, the light turns green and the truck begins to make a right, mind you it's an enormous 18 wheeler truck trailer the whole package.

He cuts me off, and as he's making the right the the back of his trailer totally demolishses my front bumper my left headlight, and digs deeep into the driver side left fender really bad. To top it off, he keeps driving! After i recovered from momentary shock, I chased after him, bumper dragging on the pavement and all. Caught up to him and stopped him, he claimed he didn't even notice he clipped me.

Filled out police report and the whole nine yards, I have full coverage , but what I'm really worried about, is what shop to take my car too, wait not my car, my BABY to.

I know this thread is pointless without pics but its 4:40 in the morning, i'm really upset and i'm going to call the insurance company in the morning and begin everything eaaarly. I just need help, I know some of the org members with 6th gens have had a similar damage on their rides, and i'm just wondering where they took their rides to , so I can get the absolute BEST paint matching for my SMOKE max, any help would GREATLY help at this point guys.

I want my Max back to the way she was, point me in the right directi0n, I don't want to take her to any "hole in the wall" type shop

stack
Old 06-21-2005, 02:57 AM
brooklynK3Y

If you decide to come to Brooklyn, my pops shop will do it

Old 06-21-2005, 03:37 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by MaxFanatic
If you decide to come to Brooklyn, my pops shop will do it
I need some work done. Some jerk scraped my bummper and left a small dent in the passanger side fender. Let me know where your father's shop is. Thanks Warren

Old 06-21-2005, 05:28 AM

Very sorry to hear about that, glad you're okay though. I know how you feel, although mine was no where nearly as bad as yours. I just had some scratches fixed on mine and they had to repaint the entire bumper. I was extremely nervous about the paint matching too. All I can tell you is visit body shops and talk to the owners and get a feel of how they do their work. That is what I did. I visited 3 shops and I knew which one I felt the most comfortable with after talking to the owner and just looking around the shop. My shop wanted to paint the entire bumper, another shop just wanted to paint the damaged area and blend. Also check with the BBB and do searches on the net to see if any negative feedback is out there. My shop was also listed on the http://www.certifiedfirst.com network, which I'm not sure if that really means a whole lot, but it made me feel better.

They did an excellent job on my car and the paint matches exactly, so it can be done. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:28 AM

I got hit on the side 2 weeks after I bought my max. I JUST got the license plate for it and some chick plowed right into the side messing up my rear driver side door, quarter panel and wheel. The stock rim was like $600 and the new door was about 6 or 7 hundred also.

I decided to take my car to the most reputable place where I live. It was also recommended by my insurance company. I've never heard any negative comments about the work these people did so I was eager to get my beloved Maxima there to get it fixed like new, big mistake. Let me be the first to say if you live in or around Hardin County Ky and care about your car, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT take your car to Jack Hart Body Shop. They did the most amateur, half ***, grit in the clear coat, swirls like you wouldn't believe mediocre (sp?) job I've ever seen on an automobile. On top of that my car wasn't finished on time and I had to go through the hassle of dealing with the rental car place. Mind you they did a decent job straightening out the quarter panel but the paint job looked like some guy they just hired the day before did it. I have a friend who painted his own car with no prior painting experience whatsoever and put the quality of the repair paintjob on my Max to shame. It was that bad.

When I went to pick it up on my lunch break, I noticed an overwhelming amount of particles just below the surface of the clear coat which once the clear coat dried produced sharp protrusions on the surface. I also noticed in the door jam the paint looked like the worst case of orange peel you've ever seen and looked as though they didn't even bother to clear coat it. I immediately brought one of the guys back out to look at it and told them to fix it asap. I could understand if I was rushing them to fix it but they were already late with my car so it pissed me off that I had to wait longer than promised for ****ty results. I ended up being 2 hours late from my lunch break and was pleased with the results. It wasn't over though. As I got off work and the sun was shining directly on the side of my car where I was hit, it appeared as though someone took steel wool and went to town on the part of my car where all the particles in the paint were. I was embarassed to drive my car but didn't want to take it back there because at that point, I was positive that I could repair the surface of the car better than the "pro's".

Fast forward the 3 months I had to wait for the paint to cure, with the help of Meguiars and blood sweat and tears, the half *** job they did is 95% fixed. Now I just noticed the other day someone must have flung their door open on my car leaving a dent the size of a nickel in my passenger side door. Sorry for the rant but I feel your pain. When you have something so important to you that you value so much you become very particular about the appearance and who you let handle the maintenance and repairs. Moral of the story, drill the body shop as though they were applying for a job with the CIA before you drop it off and even then don't sign jack until you are fully satisfied with the results.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:52 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Body shops are a business, like any business you need to question their quality, ask to see other vehicles body work in progress, and most important, explain your expectations and demand quality up front, this leaves them with a clear understanding on what you expect. Once agreed apon, get it in writing...
Old 06-21-2005, 07:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If anything happens to my baby, I am going to find out from an Infiniti or Benz or Porsche dealer who does their body and paint work. Seems like such a shop would be a good place to take it.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:14 AM

So sorry to hear about that. Have another beer man...
Old 06-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Roshan

When my bumper and fender where hit by a chevy astro van.. i took it to the dealer... as they pointed me across the street to the mercury dealer across the street.. thats where my nissan dealer takes their cars to... did an excelent job... as the guy from nissan spoke with them and gave me wut the dealer wud pay for the job...i got a used bumper from ebay.. and a new fender from the dealer... all under 400 bux... bumper i installed... fender they did.. and the paint and clear coat... best job i seen yet.. better than the body shop i worked at (they burned down ...co-worker left torch running and ignited the bondo)

Old 06-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ALL of the body work I've had done to any of my cars, I've taken it over to John @ 101st by the Van Wyck. I'll get you the info if you want, but that's where I took my Benz, my friends take their Infinitis, etc. No worries at all about quality, and you won't even be able to tell anything happened to the car... If you wanna see cars he's fixed, I have access to 2 right now and I'll pay you good money if you can find out what happened to them. He's that good.

The only problem with his shop is that he's good... so he's always busy.

PM me if you're interested... he works 6 days but closes early on Saturdays.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:31 AM

Bummer...

At least it sounds like the other guy's insurance will cover the whole thing, so just get the best repair you can.

I'd recommend to ask for referral from the Nissan and Infinite dealers and who you trust your car's service to. Then screen and compare the ones they recommend.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Newbie just Registered

Sorry to hear that. I agree with having dealers recomend places they use and visit them. Insurance companies sometimes recomend places best in prices not quality. Fitment shouldn't be a big issue if the frame isn't seriously damaged and all affected parts are changed, matching the paint, on the other hand, is. Better shops will give you a guarantee in writing.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:13 PM

thanks for all your support and feedback guys, this is why i love the org

Anyways, I called my boy from the org packetattack and he recommended a shop to me that does high quality work and does a very excellent job at matching paint, so putting my trust in him and as well another org member who told me about the same shop , I had the car towed to K&E over in RIchmond Hill, all i have to do is wait for my insurance co to go over there and take a look at it and the work will be under way

Im just really upset about this whole thing, I just want my car looking back to normal and I'm hoping the body shop is living up to its reputation. once again thanks everyone, fingers crossed
Old 06-21-2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Maxium
So sorry to hear about that. Have another beer man...
sorry to hear Stack Bundles...

maximum: your sign. is publishing private info (it maybe publicly known but you are advertising it!!)
Old 06-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Off Topic:
tubells...only you see your ISP on his signature, we dont see yours. I see just mine, same goes for everyone else.

go to danasoft.com, thats were the sig is from.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:42 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Dang, man that is a shame. I don't know how the trucker missed seeing you since you were at the light first. Anyway, I'm glad you found a good body shop. Nothing is worse than waiting weeks to get your car back only to find out that the body shop didn't do something right. Here's a related question - do they compensate for diminished value in NY?
Old 06-22-2005, 07:15 AM

What up, fam!!

Shouts go out to you! Keep your head up!

Check the cars they got at that shop before letting them do the work.

As an alternative, you can holla at my boy: Wayside Auto Body, Queens Blvd, Jamaica, 718 523 5751. Ask for Jimmy. Tell him Rudy sent you. Rudy is my boy, but he does sound systems and security.

Glad you caught that bum!

I got your back, fam. Anything you need, let me know!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Banned

Atleast you know who did it, and they will pay for it....Im sure it was an accident...nobody whose working driving a tractor trailor wants to lose his CD license on a hit and run....I always think about these sorts of things when driving next to a 52' trailor...gotta be careful...bumt sometimes theres nothing you can do..
Old 06-23-2005, 02:24 PM

Stack. Don't take it to Auto Tech Nissan in Manhattan. I went for an oil change on 6/10/05. The STEALERSHIP creased my rear bumper then camouflaged it with paint . Thank GOD I noticed it 30 minutes later while refueling. The manager Tom Lincoln brushed me off (refused to answer my calls) then finally called me after 4 days and numerous phone calls (ALL DOCUMENTED). He stated he was not liable as I had driven off the lot without reporting it, however he wanted to take a look at the damage. I informed him that it was camouflaged and that if he refused to repair it I would report it to Nissan, my insurance, the Better Business Bureau, my attorney, maxima.Org and anybody else that would listen. He called me at 7:15 A.M. the next morning stating he reconsidered without even looking at it. I took it in on Monday 6/20/05 and recieved it today 6/23/05. No loaner available and no offer of compensation for the inconvenience from the STEALERSHIP. They did a chop shop job. They stated they removed the bumper, heated it back into shape then painted it. B.S. They did not remove the bumper and they painted around the bumper guards I have on it. There are runs in the paint and it looks like SH**. I refuse to take it back for touched up for fear of other damage. I will take it someplace else when i install the rear Stillen Lip. I will be calling Nissan first thing in the morning. The lesson here is to always give your car a once over whenever you take it to the STEALERSHIP for service. e-mail me with any questions.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:46 PM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=NJMAX]Stack.

That sucks, I don't trust any dealer in NYC. Since I go to Florida every few months, I go to Parker Nissan in St. Augustine. They found my cracked RSA tires and helped me with Goodyear and last week they gave me a Nissan Maxima hat for free. Fight these a**holes. Warren
Old 06-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Banned

Old 06-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NJMAX
Stack. Don't take it to Auto Tech Nissan in Manhattan. I went for an oil change on 6/10/05. The STEALERSHIP creased my rear bumper then camouflaged it with paint . Thank GOD I noticed it 30 minutes later while refueling. The manager Tom Lincoln brushed me off (refused to answer my calls) then finally called me after 4 days and numerous phone calls (ALL DOCUMENTED). He stated he was not liable as I had driven off the lot without reporting it, however he wanted to take a look at the damage. I informed him that it was camouflaged and that if he refused to repair it I would report it to Nissan, my insurance, the Better Business Bureau, my attorney, maxima.Org and anybody else that would listen. He called me at 7:15 A.M. the next morning stating he reconsidered without even looking at it. I took it in on Monday 6/20/05 and recieved it today 6/23/05. No loaner available and no offer of compensation for the inconvenience from the STEALERSHIP. They did a chop shop job. They stated they removed the bumper, heated it back into shape then painted it. B.S. They did not remove the bumper and they painted around the bumper guards I have on it. There are runs in the paint and it looks like SH**. I refuse to take it back for touched up for fear of other damage. I will take it someplace else when i install the rear Stillen Lip. I will be calling Nissan first thing in the morning. The lesson here is to always give your car a once over whenever you take it to the STEALERSHIP for service. e-mail me with any questions.

ACK... is that Auto Tech on 57th? I almost took my car there once, because it's easy to just drop it off for service and cab it to work, then come pick it up later.

For some reason I ended up just taking it elsewhere, and I guess it's a good thing I did...