6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Creaking Noise?

Old 05-16-2005, 04:24 PM

Creaking Noise?

I just recently noticed I am getting a creaking noise which sounds like it is coming from the front end somewhere whenever I go over a bump real slowly like my driverway or turn the wheel and give it some gas in a parking lot. Also dips in the road seem to cause the sound as well. It is a weird sound kind of like a pirate ship that is swaying between the waves would sound. Does anyone else have this? It just started this week and it drives me nuts first thing in the morning when I pull out of my driveway.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:03 PM

this has been discussed here many times. I'm sorry but I forgot what exactley causes the noise, my car does it also when its cold, It gets really annoying.Hopefully someone else could explain it better than I could. I would take it in, the dealer will fix it.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:24 PM

I seem to have the the same problem. I suspect the noise comes from somewhere near the door hinges, and possibly inside the door. I hesitate to bring it to the dealer because I am not confident the dealer can do a good job of fixing the probrem without creating new one. Someone suggested to put W-40 to the door hinges and hoped the noise will dissappear. Mine still creaking bad!
Old 05-16-2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by HD2NIS
I seem to have the the same problem. I suspect the noise comes from somewhere near the door hinges, and possibly inside the door. I hesitate to bring it to the dealer because I am not confident the dealer can do a good job of fixing the probrem without creating new one. Someone suggested to put W-40 to the door hinges and hoped the noise will dissappear. Mine still creaking bad!
I am reluctant to take it in as well for just the reasons you mentioned. This could be the kinf of thing they tear everything apart looking for the problem. You know it almost sounds like it could be coming from the front springs. If I take off from a dead stop and just give it a little gas I can hear it as the front suspension flexes up. Or possibly the fenders themselves may be flexing. Someone here may know the answer and I would prefer to know what it is before bringing it into the dealer. Anyone else see this before?
Old 05-16-2005, 05:30 PM

i have the creaking noise as well, mine comes from the driver air vent next to the door, sometimes the other vents creak as well. occasionally the sun roof rattle joins the party. it drives me nuts. i think it started at around 20k miles, i'm just below 30k now.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ohthatshot
i have the creaking noise as well, mine comes from the driver air vent next to the door, sometimes the other vents creak as well. occasionally the sun roof rattle joins the party. it drives me nuts. i think it started at around 20k miles, i'm just below 30k now.
Does it have that same pirate ship type creaking noise when you drive over a dip or driveway and the suspension flexes a bit? I have only 3400 miles right now and it just started doing it. I am also wondering if maybe this could be a weak struts type issue and the springs are working harder?
Old 05-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

From some of you guys' descriptions, it sounds like you guys have a failing strut (it's apparently common)... although this wouldn't explain a creaking noise coming from a passenger compartment vent...

Oh, and the pirate ship description make me chuckle..
Old 05-16-2005, 06:14 PM

I don't think mine is comes from the strut. I tried to go over speed bumps to see if I had a bad strut but it did not make any creaking (ship wreck) kind of noise. However, when I open the driver's door I can hear this noise, especially if the door is opened all the way and you push it further, you will hear the cracking noise. I try to put w-40 fluid to the hinges, but the noise is still there. When backing out of the drive way with the steering turned either left or right the noise appears, and on the street, making a turn will also produce this noise. I suspect it's either the hinge nuts or the nuts that fasten the sheet metal to the frame are not tight. And yes, my last Previa got dissembled and looked like Sh.t at the dealer place when I complained there was noise inside the console. It took them two weeks to find out where it came from and they messed up my Previa really bad just to find the source of the rattling noise. So with this Max, I'll have to detect the problem myself and will try to fix it myself. I certainly do not trust any dealer around my area.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:03 AM

same here....

Originally Posted by ohthatshot

same here just started at 13k

creaking below the steering column and and sun roof(only when i pull back the interior cover) if thats what its called. (not the glass.)

annoying....
Old 05-17-2005, 07:54 AM

its definitely not noise from the strut. its from the interior pieces rubbing against each other. sometimes when i press on the vent border it stops for a little bit but then comes back later. occasionally the rearview mirror creaks too but if i squeeze it, it stops. its just poor fit and finish.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

either the strut or mabye the spring if its metallic it could be the cat bolts there is a tsb on that somewhere
Old 05-17-2005, 11:20 PM

all cars do this. friend of mine owns a WRX and lowered his car with front bumper and side skirts and everything, so he needs to roll over bumps and drive ways at an angle, i noticed that when he does this the entire car creeks, something like a pirate ship , which also occurs in my car when i go over a bump, drive way, or any other thing that makes a "bend or twist" in the car structure, that is if you can picture that.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Banned

I had the creeking sound come from the door, and I corrected it myself by cleaning all the seals around the door really really good with windex, no joke. Before that I actually snugged tight all the bolts the door is mounted with, Armoralled the seals, wd 40'd everything I could access...still nothing. Till one night I decided to do some stopping and starting at a slow speed witht he door held open...then guess what? No more noise! So when I finally found that it was indeed the door sliding against the body of the car, and nothing more, I went home and did a good cleaning of all the seals, all the areas the door comes in contact with the body of the car. I also WD 40d the lock, but I doubt that was it. Miraculously, the creek (which was pretty bad, and occured whenever I braked, and lurched forward from a stop) WAS GONE 100%, still is!.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I had the creeking sound come from the door, and I corrected it myself by cleaning all the seals around the door really really good with windex, no joke. Before that I actually snugged tight all the bolts the door is mounted with, Armoralled the seals, wd 40'd everything I could access...still nothing. Till one night I decided to do some stopping and starting at a slow speed witht he door held open...then guess what? No more noise! So when I finally found that it was indeed the door sliding against the body of the car, and nothing more, I went home and did a good cleaning of all the seals, all the areas the door comes in contact with the body of the car. I also WD 40d the lock, but I doubt that was it. Miraculously, the creek (which was pretty bad, and occured whenever I braked, and lurched forward from a stop) WAS GONE 100%, still is!.
that is what makes you a maxaholic!
Old 05-18-2005, 08:30 AM
*moderator*

I too have the "pirate's creek" Have had for as long as I can remember. It's only when I go over a speed bump, not a dip, not braking etc...
I think it gives the Max some personality, I feel like the Max is talking to me...
As long as nothing falls off, it doesn't bother me so much!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 04:09 PM

Update on the pirate ship sounds from my max. Yesterday I had to work really late due to a meeting when I came out to leave we were having a torrential rainstorm. Drove all the way home in some serious rain and the max handled very well on the wet roads. This morning when I pulled out of my driveway which always causes the sound, it did not do it at all. Strange... I will see when I leave for work tomorrow if it comes back.

Maybe with all the rain we had last night my pirate ship thought it was finally home on the high seas and solved the creaking??
Old 05-20-2005, 03:41 PM

Creak here too at 17,000 miles. I am almost positive it is not coming from inside the cabing as I hear it with the window down. Seems that when it warms up it is gone. Going to try the cleaning the door seals the next time I wash the car. Thanks
Old 05-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I also had a creaking noise coming from the passanger side door. When it rained or after washing, I couldnt' hear the noise. I noticed that the front fender rubs againts the window pillar and the very tip of the fender. I put a piece of rubber between the fender and the window pillar and I haven't heard the creaking noise since. I did test it by removing the piece of rubber and the creaking returned
Old 05-21-2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by jonesnola
I also had a creaking noise coming from the passanger side door. When it rained or after washing, I couldnt' hear the noise. I noticed that the front fender rubs againts the window pillar and the very tip of the fender. I put a piece of rubber between the fender and the window pillar and I haven't heard the creaking noise since. I did test it by removing the piece of rubber and the creaking returned
Wow, any way you can post a picture of the area and the rubber piece you used to stop it?

Thanks...
Old 05-21-2005, 06:59 PM

Very strange indeed! My mother's 2002 Altima 3.5 SE does this as well. I can't stand it! It only happens in the driveway when backing out and turning slowly. Wierd? I think so.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bran Da Man
Very strange indeed! My mother's 2002 Altima 3.5 SE does this as well. I can't stand it! It only happens in the driveway when backing out and turning slowly. Wierd? I think so.
Yes very strange. What your describing sounds exactly like my issue. Especially backing out of the driveway and turning. Maybe the body panels are just not tight or the forgot bushings on them or something. There must be some explaination as to why so many seem to have this pirate ship noise.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic_Ed
I just recently noticed I am getting a creaking noise which sounds like it is coming from the front end somewhere whenever I go over a bump real slowly like my driverway or turn the wheel and give it some gas in a parking lot. Also dips in the road seem to cause the sound as well. It is a weird sound kind of like a pirate ship that is swaying between the waves would sound. Does anyone else have this? It just started this week and it drives me nuts first thing in the morning when I pull out of my driveway.
My less than month old maxima doesn't have it yet (i'm sure it's coming though), but the altima 3.5 SE I had before did have this "feature" as well. It's there mostly when some torsional forces are present at one side of the car (like for example entering a steep driveway slowly entering with front one side wheel only). Didn't bother me too much because this occurs only in predictable and rare circumstances, unlike some nastly other rattles in the dahsboard that I had with Altima.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Creaking here also, at about 28k
Old 05-22-2005, 07:33 PM

I think its engine mounts but haven't been able to confirm, yet I have 4th gen but same pirate ship deal
Old 05-23-2005, 04:40 AM

Wow, sure seems like the pirate ship effect is pretty common. Maybe Nissan should have a TSB on this. Mine started doing it again about 2 days after the big rain we had. Apparently if things get wet it goes away for awhile, but when dry again... Arrrrrghhh matey, ahoy there be that noise again!!
I'm about to walk the plank with this darned noise for what this car cost us you would think the structural integrity in reference to mechanical fit and noise would be excellent. I think the thing that aggrevates me the most is that hearing this type of creaking noise reminds me of an old beater with a million miles on it. Not a new Maxima. Don't get me wrong as it does drive nice, just that stupid noise just doesn't go with a new maxima with 3k miles on it.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:40 AM
SuPeRmOd

After reading about all the squeaks mentioned, i've noticed a few minor ones seldomly with the music off. Maybe I was so accustomed to my old buick that required me to have 2-12" subs to drown out the noise... I haven't been in a car yet this quiet. Now I'm sure lexus, mec, bmw, etc. are silent, but i can't afford those. Sure I would prefer my ride to be silent, but honestly, with music playing, it doesn't bother me even if i notice it. Any I have Very sensitive hearing.

well, let's all call and email Nissan about this. I don't really know if the dealer can do much. And how would Nissan know there is a prblem to address or create a TSB if they don't know about it? Hopefully there are some dealers that care and may address it and/or report it, but all these dessappointments are up to us for Nissan's awareness.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
After reading about all the squeaks mentioned, i've noticed a few minor ones seldomly with the music off. Maybe I was so accustomed to my old buick that required me to have 2-12" subs to drown out the noise... I haven't been in a car yet this quiet. Now I'm sure lexus, mec, bmw, etc. are silent, but i can't afford those. Sure I would prefer my ride to be silent, but honestly, with music playing, it doesn't bother me even if i notice it. Any I have Very sensitive hearing.

well, let's all call and email Nissan about this. I don't really know if the dealer can do much. And how would Nissan know there is a prblem to address or create a TSB if they don't know about it? Hopefully there are some dealers that care and may address it and/or report it, but all these dessappointments are up to us for Nissan's awareness.
Thanks that is good advice on contacting Nissan. Your right, if they don't know there are people unhappy about this noise then they certainly won't know to do a TSB on it. Lets all contact them about it. Maybe if there are enough calls they will do something about it for us.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:41 AM

I also have a creak but it seems that it's in the rear - it happens sometimes when I go over the speed bumps real slow. I thought it was the strut(s) - but the stealer played dummy and refused to admit anything was wrong - "couldn't recreate problem" - what do you guys think - paneling or suspension - seeing that it's in the back?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:56 AM
SuPeRmOd

struts are in the front. "in the rear" is very general. how could someone determine online where it's coming from?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:46 PM

speaking of noises,

does anyone ever notice a whining noise from the power window motor when you close the windows, it occurs on all 4 windows. try it.

put the window all the way down and then use the one touch close.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by driver
speaking of noises,

does anyone ever notice a whining noise from the power window motor when you close the windows, it occurs on all 4 windows. try it.

put the window all the way down and then use the one touch close.
Mine doesn't have that noise thank goodnes. The window motors on mine are pretty quiet. Especially compared to the Camry I had which were very loud. I wonder if others here have this noise as well or if it is specific to your car?
Old 05-26-2005, 07:12 AM

i am going to wait...

Originally Posted by Atomic_Ed
Mine doesn't have that noise thank goodnes. The window motors on mine are pretty quiet. Especially compared to the Camry I had which were very loud. I wonder if others here have this noise as well or if it is specific to your car?

i am going to wait and see if anyone has the noise and head to the dealership.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:28 PM

No ship wreck noise here, knock the wood... I doubt Nissan will release TSB for this, and does it really bother you so much?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by super_maxima
No ship wreck noise here, knock the wood... I doubt Nissan will release TSB for this, and does it really bother you so much?
It is a pirate ship noise creaking not a shipwreck noise. Yes it does aggrevate me as the car is brand new and any body flex such as over a driveway or dip in road as well as slow turn into a lot will cause it to creak and groan. It is annoying to have this on such a nice new car.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:52 AM
SuPeRmOd

just had dealer listen for slight creak near sunroof when shade is open and glass closed. Nice and silent again.

So guys, see your dealer. I go the extra 10 miles past a closer one to visit where I purchased mine and continue to get good service. If not, I would go to a closer one.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The creak has started

My '05 SE with 6000 miles has developed the creak -- when I go over a sharp bump on either the left or right wheel -- but not both, and when turning the steering wheel, also when accelerating from stopped, it creaks.
Usually this happens lower speeds but sometimes as high as 55 but not above that.
Have had it at the dealer, now for the 4th time. I'm getting really tired of it. They are contacting Nissan for information but I'm not optimistic they can fix it. It seems to come from the back of the dash on the driver's side, to the left of the steering wheel but sometimes directly to the left of the drivers air vent. I like the car overall -- it was a great value -- I only paid about $1000 more for it than the '99 Acura TL it replaced but the creaking sucks. The Acura had it's share of creaks and noises but in the end I repaired them myself.
Anyone who has gotten it fixed, any info would be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by rebound05
My '05 SE with 6000 miles has developed the creak -- when I go over a sharp bump on either the left or right wheel -- but not both, and when turning the steering wheel, also when accelerating from stopped, it creaks.
Usually this happens lower speeds but sometimes as high as 55 but not above that.
Have had it at the dealer, now for the 4th time. I'm getting really tired of it. They are contacting Nissan for information but I'm not optimistic they can fix it. It seems to come from the back of the dash on the driver's side, to the left of the steering wheel but sometimes directly to the left of the drivers air vent. I like the car overall -- it was a great value -- I only paid about $1000 more for it than the '99 Acura TL it replaced but the creaking sucks. The Acura had it's share of creaks and noises but in the end I repaired them myself.
Anyone who has gotten it fixed, any info would be appreciated.
I have not brought mine to the dealer on this yet as I am worried they may make more things worsr in trying to repair it. Please post back with whatever results your dealer finds if they get it resolved. I would love to be able to walk in and tell them exactly what other dealers have done to fix it.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:35 PM

04BlackMaxx
Maxaholic

I'm gonna try it. My girl thought i was a f=ing nutbar for being worried about such a minute noise. I told her i had enough TONIGHT. I was starting and stoping, she was saying i was making her sick. Tomorrow i'm going out to clean the sh*t out of it (it needs it) hopefully it does the trick, i will report back. This is absouletly unreal, i thought this was only happening to me, cuz i was backed into the drivers side...it sure does **** me off...damn
Old 06-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The creaking continues...

I had my 05 SE at the dealer a 5th time (?) I've lost count at this point -- and they failed again to stop the clicking/snapping/creaking sound. I'm just really giving up. They said they took off the plastic trim piece that surrounds the top edge of the dash next to the windshield -- then drove it and didn't hear the noise. They added more padding and lubricated the rearview mirror. When I picked it up it up, it didn't seem to creak anymore but later tonight I really gave it the test, driving without the radio on -- and it's no different than it was. I'm really disappointed and have given up on getting it fixed.
I hate it and have given up.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great thread of info here - I'm having the creaking door syndrone (with my 2005 6k) reported by a few folks here and am going to head out side right now and see if some of the tips learned here might help...
thanks a bunch!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Creaking Noise?