6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Will you buy another Maxima?
Definitly Will
24.57%
Probably Will
25.31%
Not Sure
19.51%
Probably Will Not
16.91%
Definitly Will Not
13.70%
Voters: 810. You may not vote on this poll

Will you buy another Max?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 07:00 PM

my fit and finish issues are as follows -

misaligned glovebox
center console that doesn't like to stay latched
wind noise
tire balance issues
the interior trim shows too much wear

The exterior has held up well, as have the interior materials. The only rattle I have is my fault, I must have take a speed bump a bit fast, I need to fix a rattle on the exaust.

The performance has been quite nice as well, but I think I am in need for something faster. I have my eyes on a vette, or the srt cherokee

I will probably wait out the summer, all in all the max has served me well for 3 years (4/18/03), but it is about time for me to move on.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

honestly i see alot of people comparing mazda speed 6's and passats to maximas and saying they are far better because of there higher horsepower numbers.

I really must say yous all sound ridiculous. I'm not sticking up for the maxima because I own one or work for nissan because I do say myself that there are alot of things I would like to see different in the maxima (including more HP), but to say a car is a better value becasue of horsepower is a little...well um..dumb.

It's obvious nissan is moving is a different direction with the maxima...to a more upscale older crowd basicly. Where the hell else can you get dual power and heated leather seats, power tilt and telescoping steering wheel as well as heated, with auto entry and exit feature, bose with a 6cd changer, and power folding mirrors for under 40 grand?

Cmon now I like speed myself, but saying HP makes the car better means you should be in the market for a car with rental car interior and a powerful engine.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:29 AM

I "believe" people remember a time not too long ago when the Max was clearly a leader in the Style+Power+Size+Price+Reliablity.

Nissan has had many opportunities to put the max over the top, but put it's eggs in the Infiniti basket.

Now, cars that are around the same price point have Upped thier style, upped thier Perfomance, upped thier sizes, which reduces the overall gap. I don't think anyone "hates" the max, it's just the pride of being the # for # and $ for $ king will soon be gone.

With the new Avalon having such good qualities, it "might" be the new king.

When a person steps into the lux brands things change because now, your funds will get you more and the cars are expected to have all those qualities that the Max had at a much lower price, now thier is no more pride of being a smart non-BS image chasing buyer(not all owners are that) ,to a I got the money and want to get what I pay for.

So if I have to save more money to get to the next level that's fine, I just wish Nissan would have kept the Max well in front of the market.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:16 PM

I'm pretty much in agreement with you, jbgoodmax, up to the point where you mention the Avalon. Any way you slice it, the Avalon is a Japanese Buick. Of course, that makes it better than a Buick, I guess, but it is still an old guy's car. (And I say that as a 61-year-old "old guy" myself. )

No, IMO the only cars really in the (current) Maxima's league are the new G35 and maybe the Acura TL. I don't consider Avalons, Accords, Camry's or Mitsu Evo's or WRX's or any of those cars to be the same size or kind of car the Maxima is ... which is a quick, good handling, good riding, roomy, stylish 4dr sedan. The other cars have their place, but they're not for the kind of driver who has traditionally been attracted to the Maxima. And as we've said many times here already, the CVT appears to be changing even that for '07.

So, maybe if you are comparing the Avalon to the '07 Maxima, you aren't too far off. And it's sad that the Maxima seems to be going in the direction of the Buick.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:03 PM

It was hard to say that about the Avalon, I'm a Nissan lover and take pride in the superiority the Max has had.

The next Gen Max had better live up to it's heritage, because the flag-ship will be a sinking-ship and that will be 1-2 steps back after the years of building a brand.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:44 PM

it looks like Maxima is heading towards luxury, refinement, comfort instead of being a true sports sedan and improving performance, handling, etc. According to the pics of Maxima in NY Auto Show, to me Maxi is heading in the wrong direction. I'll be switching to Infinity myself by the time my lease runs out. M45 baby...well I hope I'll be able to afford it in two years
Old 04-17-2006, 11:05 PM

I'm going to 'hold my cards close' for the time being. Nissan is clearly taking the Maxima upscale, with every indication of being the luxo-flagship of their lineup by gen 7.

BUT

Nissan may just surprise us, and have that gen 7 'luxo-flagship' on an AWD platform, dozens of very desirable goodies standard, more room than ever inside, an SE version with a very tight suspension, and with more than 300 HP under the hood.

And at a price well under what that same combo would cost with the 'luxury' nameplates.

At least, I can hope for that.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I'm going to 'hold my cards close' for the time being. Nissan is clearly taking the Maxima upscale, with every indication of being the luxo-flagship of their lineup by gen 7.

BUT

Nissan may just surprise us, and have that gen 7 'luxo-flagship' on an AWD platform, dozens of very desirable goodies standard, more room than ever inside, an SE version with a very tight suspension, and with more than 300 HP under the hood.

And at a price well under what that same combo would cost with the 'luxury' nameplates.

I agree ....
Keep Hope Alive!!!

Old 04-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Newbie just Registered

BUT

With that, Nissan can differentiate Maxima from G35 in more luxury than sport, but can still have "sport" describing the car. The '07 of the Maxlooks more luxurious than the new G, but price point is below that of the M.

But, I think Nissan should not reduced the HP number, whether that's only the number or actual power. Even with high gas prices today, HP still sells cars regardless of quickness.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by jbgoodmax
I "believe" people remember a time not too long ago when the Max was clearly a leader in the Style+Power+Size+Price+Reliablity.

Nissan has had many opportunities to put the max over the top, but put it's eggs in the Infiniti basket.

Now, cars that are around the same price point have Upped thier style, upped thier Perfomance, upped thier sizes, which reduces the overall gap. I don't think anyone "hates" the max, it's just the pride of being the # for # and $ for $ king will soon be gone.

With the new Avalon having such good qualities, it "might" be the new king.

When a person steps into the lux brands things change because now, your funds will get you more and the cars are expected to have all those qualities that the Max had at a much lower price, now thier is no more pride of being a smart non-BS image chasing buyer(not all owners are that) ,to a I got the money and want to get what I pay for.

So if I have to save more money to get to the next level that's fine, I just wish Nissan would have kept the Max well in front of the market.
I kick myself in the A$$ on a daily basis for not choosing the toyota Avalon or lexus over the Maxima.My local dealer sucks,I have had paint issues and the white smoke and stink smell on acceleration.There is nothing more that pisses me off than paying good money for a car and have both rear doors have rust spots in the same location.The factory rep and eng.tell me they have NEVER seen this before with a car with 8,500 miles on it.I guess I am the lucky one,coobie
Old 04-18-2006, 07:17 PM

BUT

ive said it before and ill say it again....I GAURANTEE YOU, that the 7th gen will have the AWD and 300+ hp under its belt. like i said about the CVT months ago, i dont get my info off websites.
wink ;D
Old 04-19-2006, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by logik05se
ive said it before and ill say it again....I GAURANTEE YOU, that the 7th gen will have the AWD and 300+ hp under its belt. like i said about the CVT months ago, i dont get my info off websites.
wink ;D
Well, a 300hp AWD Maxima saddled with a CVT just doesn't get my blood boiling.

And unless Nissan makes some great strides in CVT technology, its inability to handle torque past about 250 ft.-lbs will still limit the power it can put to the wheels, 300+ hp or not.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by coobie
I kick myself in the A$$ on a daily basis for not choosing the toyota Avalon or lexus over the Maxima.My local dealer sucks,I have had paint issues and the white smoke and stink smell on acceleration.There is nothing more that pisses me off than paying good money for a car and have both rear doors have rust spots in the same location.The factory rep and eng.tell me they have NEVER seen this before with a car with 8,500 miles on it.I guess I am the lucky one,coobie

Not to flame the Max (I love mine) and not into Mag racing BUT ..

The 07 Camery with new SAE rating 268 old was (280 in Avalon) 6-sp auto got 0-60 in 6.5 and 14.6@97 on Edmunds review and has these wimpy tires (which means it could hook-up better with better rubber). "Lexus like interior", and not as boring design (actually pretty nice), nicely euip for 30K, as far as size I only care about head room leg room (don't know what it had, may go look at one todnight).

And this is the freakin Camry
Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 PM

jbgoodmax - Can't say I disagree with your logic. That is the way things are at this moment.

But we need to keep in mind that car design is a game of hopscotch. Some would call it 'one-upsmanship' or 'leapfrog'.

The '07 Camry is a brand new design, fresh off the drawing board. And we are comparing it to a 6th gen Maxima that is essentially the same car that was designed in 2001-2002, began being assembled in January 2003, and first appeared on dealer's lots beginning in March 2003.

I will wait and compare the '07 Camry with 7th gen '09 Maxima arriving in spring, 2008. That would be a much fairer and more meaningful comparison. I would bet that the Maxima that arrives at dealers in spring of 2008 will be markedly better than the '07 Camry.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Newbie just Registered

Not to flame the Max (I love mine) and not into Mag racing BUT ..

The 07 Camery with new SAE rating 268 old was (280 in Avalon) 6-sp auto got 0-60 in 6.5 and 14.6@97 on Edmunds review and has these wimpy tires (which means it could hook-up better with better rubber). "Lexus like interior", and not as boring design (actually pretty nice), nicely euip for 30K, as far as size I only care about head room leg room (don't know what it had, may go look at one todnight).

And this is the freakin Camry
We could hook up better w/ better rubber too, besides the Avalon did those numbers w/ 17" wheels, Maxima did w/ 18"'s.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:17 AM

jbgoodmax - Can't say I disagree with your logic. That is the way things are at this moment.

But we need to keep in mind that car design is a game of hopscotch. Some would call it 'one-upsmanship' or 'leapfrog'.

The '07 Camry is a brand new design, fresh off the drawing board. And we are comparing it to a 6th gen Maxima that is essentially the same car that was designed in 2001-2002, began being assembled in January 2003, and first appeared on dealer's lots beginning in March 2003.

I will wait and compare the '07 Camry with 7th gen '09 Maxima arriving in spring, 2008. That would be a much fairer and more meaningful comparison. I would bet that the Maxima that arrives at dealers in spring of 2008 will be markedly better than the '07 Camry.
I agree and did take that into account. The only point is that the market is shifting and the gap between brands is not as wide as it once was.

Such that if Nissan wants to maintain it's edge the next Max has to be a very significant jump from here (which is not a bad place). The leap frog stuff is not good when Nissan has / had the chance to send the Max over the top and has not. It is a business, so I guess they only make it good enouph to sell.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
We could hook up better w/ better rubber too, besides the Avalon did those numbers w/ 17" wheels, Maxima did w/ 18"'s.
?

So, if the Avalon and Camry can get good times with narrow weak tires. Yet the Maxima with wider (more rubber) weak tires does the same then what is that saying?

I know that there "can" be some gain from smaller rims, but I don't think the SL Max is there? Don't know.

Besides 14.6 on the 1/4 is very good for any sedan. The best time I have had at the track was 14.8 with better rubber. But unless I run at the same track same day and time as them it's hard to compare.

I really don't expect anyone here to give credit to Toyota for finally making the Camry and Avalon competitive. Sometimes I'm too objective.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:47 AM

I'm guessing the AWD will probably be an option for SE trim and standard for SL in 7gens. 300+hp at the crank will not significantly improve performance of a heavy full size sedan, but I'm sure the handling will improve around turns with the AWD. Plus, I hope they'll address the weak turning radius.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:36 PM

well you can never go with what edmunds says about 1/4 mile times and such because their basis are so far off it's pathetic..... the 04 Max was first said to only go 15.4 1/4 miles well yesterday at the track I pulled a 14.725 with a stock engine 5 speed automatic.... give me a break really that is a huge difference so comparing at this point is rediculous never-the-less.... like forcasting June 1st as sunny with blue skies in seattle....
Old 05-11-2006, 09:35 PM

Avalon - are you serious?

I can't believe ANYONE on this forum is seriously saying the Avalon is a better Maxima than the Maxima!
Old 05-12-2006, 04:56 AM
Banned

Howbout that new BMW 335i coupe coming in September....300hp twin turbo straight 3.0 6. 0-60 in 5 sec flat is expected, N/A version 6 seconds...That car is callin my name. Very strong possibility, I want a smaller coupe rather then a sedan I dont need. I love the max, but I want more power and better handling.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Doin' it 4 da shorteez

This may be better in the general forum. With the way the Max is going, no. A new design team with better ideas and thoughts for it in the future, maybe.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:04 PM

i just got my 02 6 speed in february so i plan on keepin it through most of college, but what i want to get after this max, is a g35 coupe. i drool every time i see a black on black g35 coupe...
Old 05-17-2006, 02:51 PM

I'm in my fifth max now ('87, '91, '94, '00, '04 if my memory serve me right) and my bride is in a 350z after two Pathfinders (and going back a 240z). We have always had great luck with Nissan and, in particular, our local dealer.

I been thinking of trying something different Lexus 350GX, BMW 5 series, or even a Benz, but its tough to discount the economy of the Max.

I just don't know.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:53 PM

I've only had my Max for 2 weeks, but love it so far. What really sold me on getting the Max was we bought a '05 Pathfinder about a year ago and have really liked it alot, especially the engine. We'll see how these cars hold up relative to my past experience and stick with Nissan if the cars hold up well.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just might. really waiting for the new body shape to make my mind up!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just sold my 2000 SE and bought my second one (2005 SL) this week. I looked at other cars, but I just kept coming back to the Maxima.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Newbie just Registered

?
... Sometimes I'm too objective.
Heavier 18's, but you are too objective.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:28 AM

When I voted in this poll months ago, I voted yes. But with the 2007 Max, Nissan has dropped the 6-speed manual trannie as an option. So I need to change my vote to NO ! I'm still hoping that Nissan recogizes their error in dropping this trannie option, but I'm not holding my breath. * What a Crock !

But the Altima SE-R has the 6-speed manual tranies as the standard trannie for that model. Looks like my next car will be an"R" -- but I'd rather have the 6-speed in a Max.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:46 PM

Yes I would buy another Max, I had my first max 12 years ago and stayed loyal since then.

Foward ever backward never!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Nightmare = Reality

The Jury is out for me...

The 07 looks certainly better. I have reservations about the dash and the *** still. You know, If nissan could integrate Lead Radar reflective paint, Jamming equipment in the nose, and strongarm the insurance companies into cheaper collision liability, then Maybe I'd get one if the economy turns around and I'm working in the same job for more than 6 months that isnt a contract position.

. . .damn speeding tickets. . .i swear i haven't gotten so many in my life combined before getting my 03SE
Old 07-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No..but I'd lease another one. I dont "buy" any car...they depreciate WAY too fast!!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:46 AM

I love my Max. It has serious guts, handles amazingly well, and has a sporty simple look to it. Overall a great car.

With that said... I'm probably going to wait more than just a few years, and get myself an Altima Hybrid that I will convert to a Plug-In Hybrid.

"Whaaa?" you may ask. Well, as much as I am a motring enthusiast, I am also a tree-hugger who is very concerned about global warming. Hybrids take the energy your car usually wastes in breaking and such, and charges the electric motor's battery. Well, often, that's not enough to drive the whole car at higher speeds, so the engine then does the work on the freeway... well, if you convert your hybrid to a plug-in hybrid, you have the best of both worlds... a electric car that will use the electric engine even at high speeds, and when the battery starts running out will switch to gas. Fast. Unlimited "range." Incredibly energy efficient.

Combine the idea of charging your car with your own electric infrastructure at home (solar panels on your roof), and putting "fuel" in your car becomes downright cheap. (Would still have to fill the gas tank, but nowhere near as often)

At least, this is my ideal setup. And I think it may be coming sooner than we think.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I like the look of the 6th gen and the 4th gen. Im coming from a 96' Sentra and this 6th Gen 2004 is pretty unreliable IMHO. My Sentra is still riding strong at 238,000 miles (original clutch and everything) but my Max thats a different story in 2007/8 im trading it in for an M35.

btw, I just had to get work done on it b/c the shift lock mechanism failed and I couldnt change gears..
Old 07-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

3rd max here. (95, 00, 04-current) I'll definitely buy another in a heartbeat! what can I say? I love the maximas, old and new.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by highwaycruiser
I love my Max. It has serious guts, handles amazingly well, and has a sporty simple look to it. Overall a great car.

With that said... I'm probably going to wait more than just a few years, and get myself an Altima Hybrid that I will convert to a Plug-In Hybrid.

"Whaaa?" you may ask. Well, as much as I am a motring enthusiast, I am also a tree-hugger who is very concerned about global warming. Hybrids take the energy your car usually wastes in breaking and such, and charges the electric motor's battery. Well, often, that's not enough to drive the whole car at higher speeds, so the engine then does the work on the freeway... well, if you convert your hybrid to a plug-in hybrid, you have the best of both worlds... a electric car that will use the electric engine even at high speeds, and when the battery starts running out will switch to gas. Fast. Unlimited "range." Incredibly energy efficient.

Combine the idea of charging your car with your own electric infrastructure at home (solar panels on your roof), and putting "fuel" in your car becomes downright cheap. (Would still have to fill the gas tank, but nowhere near as often)

At least, this is my ideal setup. And I think it may be coming sooner than we think.
Yeah, manufacturers should definately offer plug-in capabilities.

One of the rumors (from a Nissan exec) is that the Maxima will (or may) become a hybrid at some point in the future, so you might get to do that conversion on the Maxima.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:58 PM

Well, I used to drive a 1990 Maxima (%*$&ing great car), and when I was shopping this time, I was basically looking for the same thing: Nissan's V6 with front wheel drive. I looked for an ALtima 3.5 for a long time, but they all had leather seats (I can't stand leather. It makes me all sweaty and yucky.) Since the 6th gen Max is basically the same car, just a couple inches longer and an inch wider, I just ended up with a Max.

I will have similar requirements in the future: a front wheel drive, torque-heavy car that is a "4DSC"
Old 07-23-2006, 08:43 AM

Since the Maxima is not offered in a 6 speed any more, I dont think I would buy another one.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Since the Maxima is not offered in a 6 speed any more, I dont think I would buy another one.

not to mention this gawd ugly styling. who the hell is designing these cars?

eh, thats cool... ive still got the best maxima available.

5.5ftw
Old 07-28-2006, 05:21 PM

I voted Not Sure because I have to see how the next gen. maximas look.

This is my first Maxima (and first car post college graduation), so perhaps in a few years (7+) when it's time for me to get a new car, I'll have a lot more money for say.... a BMW. But so far, I love this Maxima.

Quick Reply: Will you buy another Max?