6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

And the problems continue

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 07:58 AM

And the problems continue

I'm not usually one to complain but I'm really getting tired of the dealerships lack of good service, as well as the lack of quality products from Nissan.
I took my car in for service last week and here's the result:

1. Skyview re-call...They replaced the glass and of course they scratched the roof during the install. No only did they leave several noticable scratches, they also left sticky residue in little spots all other the roof. The scratches can be buffed and the glue can be removed. I think I'll get the money from the dealership and take the car to a profession detail shop.

2. Transmission is slipping. This is the same problem many of you are experiencing. It's the engine rev between 2nd and 3rd gear. Nissan's answer: "mechanic couldn't duplicate, no work done".

3. Speed-O glass. The purple tint on the speed-o glass is peeling. They ordered me some new glass for free.

4. Warped rotors. At 4K miles I had my rotors turned because they were warped. At 12K miles I had the rotors replaced because they were warped again. Now at 22K miles they had to turn my rotors again. Trust me when I say I don't drive the car hard and slam on the brakes. Anyone else having this issue with rotors???

5. Tires out of balance. This is my third attempt to have the tires balanced correctly in order to eliminate the "shimmy". Nissans reponse, "tire balance is only warrantied for one year". Oddly enough, when the rotors were shaved it corrected 90% of the "shimmy".

6. Windshield washer jets. The spray is very weak. I forgot to mention it when I took the car in because I had so many other issues. Has anyone else had problems with the sprayer jets being weak?

I still love the car and I'm actully installing Eibachs next weekend. Maybe I post some pics.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:13 AM

Problems

Yes, the washer jets are weak. I've tried having them adjusted replaced. No change. I'm just used to them now.

My dealer replaced the front grille and scratched the paint in several places. What's diapointing is that they didn't mention it. I had to bring it to their attention. Then it took 3 trips for them to get it right. Poor job the first time. Second time tons of overspray on the hood, bumper and wheels! I swear they are complete idiots. I keep going back because they always do the work even though it takes a few trips and they are close. Plus they always pay for my rentals.

The shimmy is more than likely the piece of crap RSA's on the car.

I also had new rotors put on the Max under warranty. It's common on many cars though. Had the same problem with my 93 T/A, my 99 Silverado and yes my wife's 95 Toyota Corolla. The Corolla is one hell of a car though. I sold it really cheap to her mom a 3 years ago. Has 125,000 miles as runs like the day we bought it. Never had any major problems, just routine maintenance. I have never had problems with replacement rotors on any of the vehicles though.

The speedo glass and info display have very sensitive glass/plastic. No problems with the speedo galss for me, but the info display glass is scratched a little. Be careful what you use to clean it I use the same cleaner that I got with my sun glasses and the same very soft cloth. Works great.

Join the club, I don't have enough time in my day to tell you about all of the problems I have had. I still love the car! It is a blast to drive and I think I finally have just about all of the bugs worked out. Only thing left is to address some paint issues.

Next stop for me though is the 2007 Mustang Shelby Cobra GT 500. That's a sexy car. 450hp and under 40 large.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

But a Mustang is still a Ford.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Keep in mind any first run car from a manufacturer is going to have issues. It takes them a few times to get it right.I wanted the Max in 04 but refused to buy it for this reason. The 05 is sure to have some issues too but watch the 06 be perfect.

Originally Posted by 4drsleeper
1. Skyview re-call...They replaced the glass and of course they scratched the roof during the install. No only did they leave several noticable scratches, they also left sticky residue in little spots all other the roof. The scratches can be buffed and the glue can be removed. I think I'll get the money from the dealership and take the car to a profession detail shop.
I would take it back for sloppy workmanship and if they hassale you report the dealship to Nissan and the better business bureau. No to mention hang around the showroom informing the new customers of the crappy service that dealer provides.

2. Transmission is slipping. This is the same problem many of you are experiencing. It's the engine rev between 2nd and 3rd gear. Nissan's answer: "mechanic couldn't duplicate, no work done".
As I stated in an earlier post My friend has a shop and he sees a lot of Maxima trans jobs. Transmissions are not their strong point. Also I think that 5 gears in an auto should be spaced a little farther apart. It seems like my tranny shifts everytime a piston fires. :P

3. Speed-O glass. The purple tint on the speed-o glass is peeling. They ordered me some new glass for free.
I took off the stickers on my visor and cracked the arm in the process. I thought it broke way to easy. I guess they had to cheese out on some products.

4. Warped rotors. At 4K miles I had my rotors turned because they were warped. At 12K miles I had the rotors replaced because they were warped again. Now at 22K miles they had to turn my rotors again. Trust me when I say I don't drive the car hard and slam on the brakes. Anyone else having this issue with rotors???".
I warped my first set on my 98. I drive hard. Rotors dont warp by themselves unless you drive with your foot on the break or they are locked up. Yours might be locked a bit and maybe that caused a strain on your trans.

5. Tires out of balance. This is my third attempt to have the tires balanced correctly in order to eliminate the "shimmy". Nissans reponse, "tire balance is only warrantied for one year". Oddly enough, when the rotors were shaved it corrected 90% of the "shimmy".
Check for a bent rim or a defect in the tire.

6. Windshield washer jets. The spray is very weak. I forgot to mention it when I took the car in because I had so many other issues. Has anyone else had problems with the sprayer jets being weak?
Again, I guess they had to cheese out on some products.

I still love the car and I'm actully installing Eibachs next weekend. Maybe I post some pics.
I still love it too. You can't buy a better car for the money.