6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New replacement info screen pics - LID Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 01:19 PM

UPDATE ! PICS -New info screen - Finally!!! SEE BELOW

I have been waiting since last August to replace my scratched info screen on my '04. The screen also had what looked like something growing on the inside.
Well, today it was fixed. Took 20 minutes. They replaced the entire part which goes around the info screen, including the a/c vents on each side. It looks very similar to the '05, except the actual cloudy screen which got all scratched up is now gone. The end result is the perfectly clear screen which was always behind the cloudy one. Now the info screen is as clear as the three pod guages
behind the steering wheel. All of them now look the same. HUGE improvement.
If your '04 screen sucks as bad as mine did, now is the time for the replacement fix.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:26 PM

Nice!!! my gauges are all scratched up... I dunno how but they are... Do your's have like a purpleish tint to them?
Old 03-12-2005, 01:26 PM

Also, before when the sun would shine directly on the crappy screen, I could
barely see anything at all. Now, the sun can be hitting the screen directly,
and it you can still see everything crystal clear. This is so much better.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:29 PM

No, no purple tint on mine.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by high888
I have been waiting since last August to replace my scratched info screen on my '04. The screen also had what looked like something growing on the inside.
Well, today it was fixed. Took 20 minutes. They replaced the entire part which goes around the info screen, including the a/c vents on each side. It looks very similar to the '05, except the actual cloudy screen which got all scratched up is now gone. The end result is the perfectly clear screen which was always behind the cloudy one. Now the info screen is as clear as the three pod guages
If your '04 screen sucks as bad as mine did, now is the time for the replacement fix.
I'm very happy for ya... I ordered mine only about a month ago, so I assume I'll get mine in 6 more months...
Old 03-12-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima617
Do your's have like a purpleish tint to them?

mine have a purplish tint to them, its noticable when the sunlight hits them
Old 03-12-2005, 02:55 PM

High, how did you get them to replace this? Was it scratched on the outside from you, or were there internal defects?

Ive got a big *** scratch on mine, that I did a while ago....I would LOVE to get rid of it....and it sounds like you got a much better screen now.

Please advise, thanks-
Old 03-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Was the screen replacement on a navi system ?
Old 03-12-2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jayzmax04
High, how did you get them to replace this? Was it scratched on the outside from you, or were there internal defects?

Ive got a big *** scratch on mine, that I did a while ago....I would LOVE to get rid of it....and it sounds like you got a much better screen now.

Please advise, thanks-
You might be able to get rid of your scratch by using a product called "Plexus". You spray it on and wipe with a clean cotton or microfiber cloth. It worked for me. I had a scratch going from one side to the other and i can't see it anymore.

Bob
Old 03-12-2005, 04:14 PM
*moderator*

4 more months for me then, I ordered mine in Decemeber...
Old 03-12-2005, 06:22 PM

No Navi system, just the basic info screen. When the sun shined on it, you could see scratchs on the inside, and then I probably put more on the outside
trying to clean it. After awhile, it looked horrible. My dealer didn't even give it
a second thought about replacing it, since they have a waiting list to do this.
They have been getting alot of complaints. As far as the wait time, I was told
that they are now shipping en mass from the Smyrna Tenneesse plant all of the
new replacement parts. They had to re-design the thing, and then make it.
That's why it took 6 months. They have them now in all of the colors of the
dash. Note that the a/c vent on each side matchs your dash color. Mine is
black. On the invoice it shows as part number 1 68250-7Y00C LID Cluster.
This might be for the black one, I'm not sure. I'll see if I can post a picture.
It really looks good.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:54 PM

Is it just the non-nav that are affected or both? Mine isnt terrible like people make em out to be on here, but definently could be better. It's not exactly crystal clear.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the million dollar question is.... does the new info/navi screen scratch proof? what's the point of replacing piece of sh*t with another sh*t?
Old 03-12-2005, 10:04 PM

Mine was ordered back in July '04 when the dealership tried to clean it and made a worse mess scratching even more. I am still waiting for a replacement.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffs04SE
its because you use ammonia based solution to clean the inside of your mirrors.. ammonia messes up the tint, just ammonia free based products to reduce that purple color from forming..
Old 03-13-2005, 05:52 AM
Banned

The purple color is cool! Mine did that when I bought the car and still does, windex does not change it. Its from the factory like that.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:29 AM

Would love to see a pic.....how about cost? If dealer won't replace for free, any idea how much this would be? I would love to get rid of the cloudy screen. Mine isn't scratched (yet), but I do hate when the sun shines on it....can't see a thing.

Jane
Old 03-13-2005, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by tototee999
its because you use ammonia based solution to clean the inside of your mirrors.. ammonia messes up the tint, just ammonia free based products to reduce that purple color from forming..

what mirrors? i was talking about the gauge cluster. it has a purplish tint to it when its in the sunlight.

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
The purple color is cool! Mine did that when I bought the car and still does, windex does not change it. Its from the factory like that.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:28 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by akaxmrxhammer
the million dollar question is.... does the new info/navi screen scratch proof? what's the point of replacing piece of sh*t with another sh*t?

Who knows but at least for a while it will be...I replaced my stock scratched and peeling grill with a new one and now it's already scratched up. The never ending cycle I guess...
Old 03-13-2005, 11:58 AM

Aren't the new screens supposed to come out with the glass instead of plastic, to make it scratch proof? I thought that's what I heard... Correct me if I'm wrong..
Old 03-13-2005, 04:07 PM

Yea, you are wrong. There is no new screen. They have simply eliminated the
cloudy screen that we all have, and what is left is what was behind it, that being the info unit itself. The face of the info unit is crystal clear, just like
the three pod guages you look at through your steering wheel. The cloudy
screen is nothing more than a secondary cover in front of the info unit.
It is now gone. Can the face of the info unit get scratched? Sure, if you
grind away at it. Today I went at bought a can of compressed air at the
computer store. It blasts the dust away without touching anything.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:02 PM

seriously if youre gonna say you got something, or you got a problem, post a picture so that people can maybe see to help or relate to help you out.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:07 PM

It started to look like there was stuff growing on the back of my screen as well, so the dealer just cleaned it (and I think they used a brillo pad or something, because there are all sorts of scratches [I'm not sure if they are inside or out though]).

I think it's been asked before, but where is the best place to buy plexus? Online or B&M (like Wal Mart)?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2005, 06:23 AM

My gauge screens are disgusting, purplish and all scratched(actually not scratched, a film is peeling), widex makes it worse. Regardless if I touch them or not, they seem to peel in circular fasions. Think theres a purple film on them. Facotry ordered a new lid to replace but the lid had windows in it, in order to get the damn plastic windows you need to order a whole assembly and the dealer wouldnt.

As far as info screen, I have neen waiting since last July, still havent got a call from my stealership.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:37 PM

I've got some nice pictures of the new screen, but this site won't let me post
pictures. No attachements allowed. Don't ask me why.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:33 PM
wsu

purple too

Originally Posted by Jeffs04SE
I have noticed a purplish/violet tint also when the sun hits the plastic over the instrument panels just right. It may be selective reflection from the plastic, in that the surface of the plastic is such that lets most of the light pass through, but reflects some of the shorter, violet wavelengths.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:34 AM

This is how you post an image:
Old 03-20-2005, 08:57 PM

i use a eyeglass cleaner for the screen..it is like a silk little rag thing.....works good and obviously wont scratch it...it is made for eyeglasses..you can get them for a couple bucks...
Old 03-29-2005, 09:03 AM

Does anyone know if you can replace that info screen with a regular screen, to play dvds on? I am not to keen on the burnt orange lettering. I don’t need nav but it would be nice for the people in the back to watch on a long trip.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:17 AM
SuPeRmOd

others have moved the screen and replaced it. look through old threads and Stickies for pics.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:29 AM

ordered mine in December also; still waiting.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:48 PM
*moderator*

Went by the dealer to check again on the status of my screen. I waited and waited and it seems like they could'nt find the order in the system. So the guy walks around looking at the boxes that just came in like he thinks he'll find it there??? This was on Monday and he said he'd call back east and then call me, it's Wed. no call...no screen!!! AARRRggghhhh!!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:54 PM

Yo,

I test drove a 03' FX45 today, my wife needs a new SUV soon.

The info screen is identical to the Max, except it didnt have the second plastic cover or something, it looked SOO much clearer and focused. DAMN!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:35 PM

I had mine replaced, and that is what it looks like. No cloudy cover screen.
Very nice. The reason for the wait is that they just recently began manufacturing this new part. They have a long waiting list. I ordered mine
last August. It was worth the wait.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:00 AM

New replacement info screen pics - LID Cluster - Finally some pics

Here it is:
[img]http:www.cardomain.com/memberpage/814975/.jpg[img]

Had this installled a week ago. No more cloudy screen. I took this picture at
night. I will ad some daytime pics for a better view.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:35 AM

How much does the new info screen cost? Have you guys gotten yours replaced under warranty just because it was scratched?
Old 04-02-2005, 12:16 PM

That's what I want to know....how to get this replaced under warranty. Any special words of wisdom?
Old 04-02-2005, 12:31 PM

nice pics, I see you have the a.c. on 60! wish it was warm enough here to use that!
Old 04-02-2005, 04:58 PM

This is my info screen story. I never much liked the cloudy look of the outside cover. So I experimented with different stuff to see if it would look better.
In the past on my other previous vehicles the clear plastic would get dirty or
scratched, I would rub some WD-40 on with a cotton ball. This would put
moisture back into the plastic and make it look new. WD-40 is actually a
solvent which could eat away at plastic, maybe, so I switched and now use
silicon spray. Anyway, I put some on the Maxima screen, and it made it clear
as glass. For awhile. After wiping it down, it became cloudy again. The reason
I took it to the dealer was if you look at the screen with the sun shining on it
at, say 12 noon, you could see all kinds of scratches on it, some being on the
inside. The service writer tried to wipe some windex on it, and I just stood there and watched and kept my mouth shut. He finally gave up and said lets just replace it. This was back last August. Nissan has since redesigned a
replacement, which eliminates the cloudy screen. Six months later I now have
it. I now clean it with a little silicon spray on a cosmetic sponge. No cotton ***** as they leave lint. To get this replaced under warranty throw a fit.
Get the sun shining directly on it and it looks horrible. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:52 PM

Got my Screen fixed too

I been complaining for 2 years. They cleaned, replaced and still it was a mess. They ordered another new one in Oct....never came in. After reading High888 got one, I called dealer. No screen had came in. So, he orderd me one week before last, and it arrived in a week. The new one is like High888 said....no external screen, the frame just blends down against the raw LCD. I know, because if you touch the LCD, now, it "squishes" like a flat panel PC Laptop screen....so BE CAREFUL cleaning it...it will scratch. But it is finally clear. Bummer is that they scratched the titanium faceplate just above the Cassette deck opening. It is being replaced Friday. FYI, the new center piece is covered by warranty!

There is a lot of opinions on how to clean LCD screens. Eyeglasses cleaner seems to be safe. However, I find an old damp diaper or damp Microfiber to work just fine. I have a real expensive 20 inch LCD on my PC and that is what I do. Wet it, and ring it out as much as you can.

I also had my Tranny reprogrammed. Made a big dif. No more "Lunge" between 1st and 2nd. Smooth as silk now.

Quick Reply: New replacement info screen pics - LID Cluster