6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Condensation in headlight......

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 09:42 AM

Condensation in headlight......

Is there any real good way to get rid of moisture out of the headlamp? I had my installer try to get as much out of it as he can and he siliconed it. I still get some, but not as much (he used and air hose to dry it out). Do you think it may be best to get a whole new headlight? Its not that much of a big deal....but I just wanted to know if others may have expereinced it or know of other methods. This happened after getting my HID's installed.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

go to hidplanet.com they have info on how to remove condensation and what types of products (besides sicilone) that you can put to keep moisture out.

they deal with hid upgrades and headlights being unsealed and resealed. you might get better help there.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:16 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

that sux, hope you get that taken cared of....
Old 03-31-2005, 03:00 PM

Yea, that sucks. Looks like the seal is bad since it was messed with. Hell, I had my stock drivers side light replaced after 3K miles because it was fogging up. Have not had a problem since. Any lights that fogg up or get condensation in them really bug me. Sometimes clear silicone works....sometimes is does not. The humidity out here was getting in the inside and left stain marks. Looked like crap with the chrome light reflectors. Hope you get it fixed.....because the problem will get worse with time. Take a look at altezza stuff on the road that is leaking and fogged up.....some even fill with water and when they stop at a stoplight, you can see a small wave.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:01 PM

One more thing.....a blow drier on light condensation can work....but on heavy stuff, will make it drip, then make water drop stains.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:55 PM

You can try stufffing it with newspaper. Leave it overnight and see if that helps. I had the same problem with an old car. I sealed the headlight as well as I could. Stuffed it with newspaper to get some condensation out, and then used a blow dryer on a low setting through the high beam. Blew the moist air out the low beam hole. Worked like a charm.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the advice........I'll try the newspaper trick
Old 03-31-2005, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by blakstarz
Thanks for the advice........I'll try the newspaper trick
Watch out if it is too wet as you might get black ink in there on the chrome reflector. I am sad to say the only way you will be able to probably fix the situation is remove the headlights, reseal them. Removing the condensation will not fix the problem from coming back. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:16 PM

Carcus is absolutely right. You have to find the leak and seal it. I once took a fog light, filled it with water to see where it leaked out and found the break in the seal that way.

CM
Old 03-31-2005, 07:24 PM
SuPeRmOd

sounds like a good reason to do this mod and seal it properly:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=389718
Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes big deal!!!

HID UNITS GO FOR 400.00-5000.00 AH PIECE best buy hologen and convert to hid if not re seal everything nice nd tight hopefully thats the cheapest way to go good luck were on the same boat i looked at ebay amazon too much unless junk yardd good luck my max warrior
Is there any real good way to get rid of moisture out of the headlamp? I had my installer try to get as much out of it as he can and he siliconed it. I still get some, but not as much (he used and air hose to dry it out). Do you think it may be best to get a whole new headlight? Its not that much of a big deal....but I just wanted to know if others may have expereinced it or know of other methods. This happened after getting my HID's installed.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:34 PM

I would caution using regular compressed air from compressor, sometimes the compressor collect condensation and if the owner isn't draining it frequently, you will spray moist air in the headlight.

I would look at the bulbs cover, make sure they are not brittle, especially on the turn and parking signal area.

It also depends on what the moisture is from, if it is from water leak, you will see droplet. Condensation like mist and fog are normal under heavy and humid weather, they will go away on its own.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:18 AM

there is only one way to do it.
make sure it's properly sealed at the back first.
was the lens removed for the install?
if no, no need to touch it, find the leak at the back
if yes, just bake the lens, remove, clean, change the silica bags, put new butyl rubber glue, re-seal, and make sure the back is also sealed. done.

if you did a ****ty job, the fix is to do it properly...

Last edited by Kryogen; 03-29-2014 at 06:08 AM.